Until Dawn predictions/anticipation?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

amyh7292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By amyh7292
Member since 2015 • 324 Posts

I plan on getting it the day it comes out, simply because I'm a big horror movie fan and this seems very reminiscent of 80s/90s slasher movies in which none of the characters really matter, but it'll be fun to see who lives and who dies. Not to mention I feel that PS4 is lacking stand alone titles (amongst the masses of sequels and remasters) and video games in general need more horror games that aren't just zombie/virus games. Overall, I think this will be a blast to play through. Not "amazing" or anything but, like a slasher movie, a thrilling adventure. Not to mention, a different approach to a horror game for once. I enjoy games like Beyond: Two Souls that are more cinematic as a change to standard games. Any thoughts on this upcoming PS4 exclusive?

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#2 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

It doesn't seem like this game has gotten much attention. I didn't even realize it comes out in only 2 weeks. But I don't know, I can't say I know too much about it other than its general concept, which I do kinda like. I don't mind more cinematic/passive games, assuming that's what this is. So I'll definitely give it a chance at some point. I don't expect it be received that impressively well, but it might turn out to be decent enough to land around an 80 Metacritic score.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

I'm excited... Brett Dalton is one of my favorite actors.

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 GhostHawk196
Member since 2012 • 1337 Posts

I reckon this game will be slightly better than The Order 1886 mainly because of lowered expectations. Honestly as a proud PS4 owner I cannot see this being any more than a 7/10 game.

Xanatos357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#5  Edited By Xanatos357
Member since 2015 • 787 Posts

I want it to be good, but I'll wait for the reviews for this one

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

looks like it could be good fun... all of the previews so far have been positive

Azure64bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Azure64bit
Member since 2015 • 54 Posts

I'm a big horror fan as well, the game looks great to far and can't wait to try it out. That being said, definitely not a full price day one buy for me.

leafs_ducks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#8  Edited By leafs_ducks
Member since 2005 • 2881 Posts

i'm also interested in it.

don't know if its worth paying full price tho. lol

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#9 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

It's something "SLIGHTLY" different, so I expect it to get middle of the road reviews....something like a 7.5 or an 8.

amyh7292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 amyh7292

I'm mostly interested in it, as I said, because it's

A: A standalone game

B: a mainstream horror game that's finally trying to do something different

I'm so sick of how sequel/remaster heavy the PS4 library is right now. I have GTA 5, The Witcher 3, and The Last of Us for my PS4 right now and at the moment there aren't a whole lot of other titles that are even remotely catching my interest. I get that sequels are inevitable, but for once it would be nice to pick up a game that doesn't require any prior knowledge of the previous to enjoy it. Obviously TLoU fits this, and GTA V is it's own game, but the Witcher took me like 2 hours of research just to kind of get what's going on. Go ahead, make sequels, but **** give me some games that are their own thing. Now add in a horror game that doesn't involve a fucking virus/zombie theme (no offense TLoU, I loved you but still) and this is the main reason I'm so hyped about Until Dawn. If it's a solid 8, I'll be satisfied. Any slasher/horror fan should get this game (assuming the reviews don't suck lol)

leafs_ducks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#11 leafs_ducks
Member since 2005 • 2881 Posts

hoping its longer than 8 hrs of gameplay.

amyh7292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 amyh7292

@leafs_ducks Seeing as you have 8 different characters fate to control and assuming at the very least each character is given an hour of game-play, I think it definitely has to be at least an 8 hour gameplay game. I'm thinking somewhere between 10-15 and I'll be satisfied. That being said, I generally take my time in games, but this seems to be a game that kind of lends itself to be fast paced.

kisstache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kisstache
Member since 2015 • 11 Posts

I'm looking forward to play Until Dawn as well but I'm just worried about the length of the game as many people said it's too short. Let's just cross our fingers for a longer gaming time minimum 10h :D Anyway, it would be good for YouTube channel streaming. Easier to finish the game :3

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I'm not feeling it. I track devs and this is one dev I don't trust. Be nice if they surprised me...

Good luck to them though!

SakuraBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SakuraBomb
Member since 2015 • 232 Posts

I personally can't wait for this greatness! I usually don't like any type of horror but I'm going to try this game out for sure :) I still remember hearing the awesome crowd's reaction at PSX last year lol.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MethodManFTW

@SolidTy said:

I'm not feeling it. I track devs and this is one dev I don't trust. Be nice if they surprised me...

Tracking devs... lol.

Anyhow, why don't you like Supermassive? They haven't made many games and they have pretty much all been kids games... I liked LBP2 more than LBP1 personally.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SolidTy

@MethodManFTW said:
@SolidTy said:

Tracking devs... lol.

Anyhow, why don't you like Supermassive? They haven't made many games and they have pretty much all been kids games... I liked LBP2 more than LBP1 personally.

Not tracking devs and buying brands blindly, lol?..

I said good luck to them, didn't I? I also indicated that I wanted them to surprise me which means I would be thrilled if this game ends up good. Great!

If you enjoy laughing because people track talent, I have more jokes:

I also follow authors of my favorite books, directors of film, writers of film, and various artists (including music artists.) That means I get more excited say, for a Chris Nolan or Quentin Tarantino movie than say a Fast and the Furious sequel. I get more excited when my fave musicians release a new track than say a played out Miley Cyrus track. Ya feel me? Another example is when I hear Hideki Kamiya is working on a game which is usually a new IP. Another game developer example of a team I track is when Naughty Dog is working on a game instead of automatically getting amped up for Uncharted, I'm more passionate about what ND's cooking. If Uncharted is passed off to another dev, I lose interest. This is how I knew The Last of Us was going to be good and bought it day one instead of having to hear critics tell me to buy it months later. Of course, I know the majority of the world doesn't bother with this and usually buy annualized pumped out Assassin's Creeds, Call of Duty's, and Madden games, but I do track devs to avoid buying disasters.

To each their own though, so lol away, as I will as well. We shall share in laughs! :P

Anyhow, I went into about 50 rants on Supermassive over the many years. I simply think their games are not good to okay at best (Doctor Who, Start the Party, Tumble, etc). I didn't indicate I dislike them, just that I am not feeling it. I hope Until Dawn is good of course as I would like to add it to my collection, but we'll see. Studios can always break out and blow me away and I hope they do, but in the meantime I'm playing it safe as I track devs.

Also, LBP and LBP2 was developed by Media Molecule (MM). Supermassive only helped with some downloadable kits for LBP1 and LBP2 (Muppets, Toy Story, Pirates of the Caribbean, Marvel, etc).

I'm not sure why you mentioned you liked LBP2 more than LBP1 since both games are Media Molecule games. Incidentally, I too liked Media Molecule's LBP2 as well, but that's because MM improved on their first game. Much like Naughty Dog's Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2, another example of a developer improving upon their own game franchise. BTW: MM didn't develop LBP3, which is why I wasn't excited when LBP3 released. I picked up LBP3 on sale unlike LBP2 just based on my tracking devs. I'm glad I did too, LBP3 wasn't as good as LBP2 and buggy to boot.

Really what I do is I track quality and that's why I track musicians/directors/authors/game developers.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MethodManFTW

@SolidTy: SuperMassive had some hand in LBP2. But yeah, doing research is obviously smart, the terminology of tracking is just funny to me.. A word I associate more with hunting

Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Drizzle
Member since 2002 • 2429 Posts

It looks fantastic.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SolidTy

@MethodManFTW: Gotcha! Yeah, it's all good. Track/Follow devs, that's what I do. I can see what you mean though about hunting, lol.

burock76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 burock76
Member since 2008 • 1220 Posts

I will be getting this day one. It may be short, it may be filled with cliches still looks fun and interesting. Also it seems that I will be playing it at least twice to see what happens if I do exactly the opposite things than my first playthrough.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I'm getting it just not at full price tho. Ill pay 40 for it. I love horror games.

TokakuAzuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TokakuAzuma
Member since 2015 • 14 Posts

Based on all of the videos that I've watched regarding this game, I will definitely play it. I did enjoy "The Evil Within" and if "Until Dawn" is anything like it, I assume that I will enjoy this, as well. I cannot afford to purchase it on day one, however. These games are far too expensive nowadays compared to my younger days.

Codec7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Codec7
Member since 2015 • 68 Posts

@tokakuazuma said:

Based on all of the videos that I've watched regarding this game, I will definitely play it. I did enjoy "The Evil Within" and if "Until Dawn" is anything like it, I assume that I will enjoy this, as well.

+1. Yes

Anyway, the preview videos look good to me, and i'm usually a game snob, but it looks like some thought has gone into this game. Developers these days can't diss us anymore because reviews will strike it down if they don't have careful level-design, and also if it doesn't get good reviews they will lose by second-hand sales which will guarantee it's demise. This game seems to have a type of claustrophobic and in your face type vibe, which i like. As long as they get the action elements right and do the game from their heart it should turn-out ok from what i'm seeing so far, i'm hoping it will.

amyh7292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 amyh7292

Cool, anyone else getting on release date? Don't blame those waiting for reviews, I just am super hyped for this game and dying for a good horror single player campaign. If it doesn't seem to have been worth $60, I can always easily sell on ebay for pretty much full price in the first month or so of release. Doubt it though, this game looks promising

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

According to the metascore and gamespot reviews, the game is pretty much an 8 out of 10 which is pretty impressive. I will definitely be getting this game. Gamespot said it was an 8 which meant "great". I haven't watched any video reviews because they tend to show so much spoiler footage. I don't want to see any scares or monsters until I play the game.

porkchopxp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 porkchopxp
Member since 2004 • 1181 Posts

I've finished my first playthrough and came here to share:

If you are a fan of the following films/shows/games you should enjoy Until Dawn:

Heavy Rain, Maniac Mansion, April Fool's Day, Harper's Island, And Then There Were None, A Cabin in the Woods, The Decent, Identity, Alan Wake . . .

To name a few