Uninstalling a game on PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by -Wolf- (584 posts) -

I was just curious. I finished Ninja Gaiden last night and I have it installed on my PS3... (3 gigs of space).. If I uninstall it, if I want to replay it with any of my saved games, do I need to reinstall it? I realize you can play it without the discs, but do my save games recognize that I went through the game with it installed & require reinstallation?

#2 Posted by Tanpreet (356 posts) -
i think they will. the main point for the installation is so that the game can load up faster so it shouldn't affect your game saves or ability to play the game at all.
#3 Posted by Th3James (297 posts) -
WHAT???? i can instal games 2 make them load faster how? :o
#4 Posted by magneticmarine (137 posts) -
Does every game ask you if you wanna install or it makes you do it because I just picked up the 80 gig and i have resistance and motorstorm and no downloads what so ever and i only have 63 gigs left and im trying to figure out how to get that memory back!! please help.
#5 Posted by Sora311 (661 posts) -
about 5-10 gigs was taken for the system operation and format.
#6 Posted by ReaperZA (1517 posts) -
Anyone figured out how this is done yet? I mean GTA IV took a long while to install, all I can find is a 3MB game save, I doubt THATS what took so long to copy, where is it and how do I get it off without a format? We need a sticky of how to backup, format and delete ps3 games! :)
#7 Posted by TM1 (7249 posts) -

Anyone figured out how this is done yet? I mean GTA IV took a long while to install, all I can find is a 3MB game save, I doubt THATS what took so long to copy, where is it and how do I get it off without a format? We need a sticky of how to backup, format and delete ps3 games! :)ReaperZA

if you go to the game menu in the XMB go to game data utility, should be all the way on the top and the downloads a game requires you to do on the initial start up is all there. Hit the triangle button on the game and go to information, can't miss it because it's only one of two options, the other is delete. In the info section it tells you how big that download was. For example just tried it on heavenly sword and it says size 2068 mb, which equals 2gb for some people that don't know.

#8 Posted by halfbreed11111 (578 posts) -
bout how do you unistall a game?
#9 Posted by SageJMP (4210 posts) -

bout how do you unistall a game?halfbreed11111

go to the game data folder and delete the game's data.

gama data folder = installs and updates / games save folder = games saves

#10 Posted by Working_Stiff (2253 posts) -
If you uninstall a game, do your save files get deleted? I imagine not, but I have never tried it.
#11 Posted by jak522 (146 posts) -
do the game saves get deleted?
#12 Posted by skrillalover (1348 posts) -

game saves do not get deleted with data utility.

also the discrepency between the advertized hard drive size and actual drive size is because the drive is advertized in base 10 and the PS3 read the HDD in base 2. so there is actually only like 70gigs instead of 80 to begin with.