UMD Passport Program - Yay, Nay, or Other Thoughts?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JNKtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 JNKtastic
Member since 2010 • 183 Posts
After getting my boxers in a twist thinking about my UMD collection of games (and movies) vs the non-UMD-friendly Vita, I did some research and found out that for the people who own UMDs, there might be some hope for possibly 'porting' their UMD games over to the Vita. As I didn't see any other topics that talked about this, I decided to give the topic a kick start. If nothing else, it's potentially useful information? So yeah: According to this http://andriasang.com/comyxo/ article entitled "Sony Announces UMD Passport Program for PlayStation Vita Buyers", there will be a "UMD Passport" application/feature for the Vita which will allow UMD owners to obtain digital downloadable versions of their UMD game collections... for a fee - a discounted fee. Additionally, there's a bit of a caveat - the port-ability of the UMD games depends on if downloadable versions of the UMD games will be made available in the first place (Crisis Core, I'm looking at you!) by the game publishers. Currently, Sony has published a starting list on their Japanese website of the titles that will be available on the Passport Program, which can be accessed here: http://www.jp.playstation.com/psvita/compatibility/umd/title/. With that said, here's how the UMD Passport system would theoretically work (according to the article): [quote="UMD Passport Program Instructions"]1) Download the UMD Registration application to the Vita 2) Boot up the application while UMD game of choice is loaded 3) Register the UMD game via prompts from the UMD Registration application 4) Download the digital version of the UMD game from the Passport catalog for a discounted fee

Assuming that everything goes as according to plan and instructions, you now have a digital downloaded library of your previous UMD-only games - woo hoo! ... Provided that all of your UMD games were/are/will be given a digital downloadable UMD Passport program version, of course. For someone like me who has two dozen someodd UMD game titles (and not counting movies) in their game collection, this sounds like a potentially promising way to ease my concerns over dropping money on the Vita which, without the UMD Passport Program, gives no way for me to access my older UMD game titles despite the new handheld console being a clear replacement for the older PSP. But this possibility also raises new potential concerns - specifically, concerns in regards to connectivity (internet and catalog connectivity, PSN fiasco), accessibility (PSN fiasco), and storage... We all know what happened when the PSN went down and we all know what happened during the time when the system was brought back and people were given the Welcome Back download packages and were scrambling to get their downloads completed... so I won't rehash the mess that happened. I will, however, say that personally, I have always disliked the idea of download-only options for things that are substantial in size and are costly... like games... and that what happened with the PSN illustrates a good reason why. That said, my thoughts about the UMD Passport Program in relation to my own UMD collection are highlighted below:

At the best scenario, let's say all 24 of my UMD games can be 'ported' over because all of the games have downloadable versions. 24 games. 1-2 Gigs each not counting any potential add-ons. That's 24-48 Gigs of games to be downloaded and 24 to 48 Gigs worth of time and opportunity where the download can go funky.

I've only downloaded a little over 10 Gigs of stuff from the PSN from fullblown games to DLCs to demos to themes and in 10 Gigs worth of data, there have already been entirely too many opportunities for trouble. Downloading directly to the console saves time, but downloading directly to the computer through Media Go has been safer but much less efficient (download twice, essentially - download from MediaGo and then transfer a copy to console). 24 to 48 Gigs worth of material even on broadband and even at high transfer speeds? UGH!

The official UMD Passport Program website (which lists UMDs currently available as downloadable in their catalog) says that these games will be anywhere between 500 yen and 1000 yen a pop with more popular and more complex games tending towards costing 1000 yen (and upwards). So let's be fair and say that fee averages out of around 750 yen as there are popular and not-so-popular and complex in the collection. That's around $10.00 USD average to download a game which equates to $240.00 to port over 24 games, but note that the US and international versions of the UMD Passport Program might have pricing schedules different from the Japanese one.

I've already spent a hefty sum of money building up my PSP library (and general gaming library on different platforms). As the PSP purchases were all within the last 2 years, I'm not looking forward to dropping $200ish to port over a collection of games that I already spent my hard-earned money on to own on UMD. Granted, I came into owning my PSP late in the game and so the purchases are all still relatively fresh for me (as opposed to someone else who might have own some of their titles for longer), but, still. UGH!

One PlayStation Vita memory card at $120.00 USD for a 32 Gig pop OR two 16 Gig memory cards for $70.00 bucks a pop for a total of $140.00 USD. If we're smart and buy a 32 Gig card, that's $120.00 out the wallet.

I've already spent a tidy sum of money on Memory Sticks... but my gripe is actually not about having just spent money on those. It's about how much I have to spend EXTRA in addition to the UMD Passport fees to port over games I already paid for and legally own. $120.00 EXTRA just for my UMD games and NOT counting anything else (which would need room on a separate storage card)? UGH! If we do the math, that's: $240.00 (UMD Passport Program fees) + $120.00 (storage card) = $360.00 (total)to port over my UMD game collection (and I won't bother calculating the potential time and sanity lost should something go wrong in the downloading and/or transferring process for 24-48 Gigs) THAT I ALREADY BOUGHT and LEGALLY OWN! Don't get me wrong; I love my UMD collection which is the whole reason I decided to do some research, but... HOLY %$#@ and WTF! ----- References: 1) Sony Announces UMD Passport Program for PlayStation Vita Buyers - andriasang.com 2) UMD Passport Program - Current Port-able Game List Japan/Japanese official PlayStation Vita site ----- All that said... any thoughts? Do you think it's 'fair'? Does this possibility cheer you up any if the thought of losing your UMD collection to the new console that's meant to be a replacement was a downer? Do you have any better ideas on how a UMD Passport Program might be executed?
calebcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 calebcop
Member since 2009 • 889 Posts

Ain't gonna happen. That same thing was supposed to happen for PSP Go but they bailed out because of all the legal stuff. Highly doubt they're going to be able to do it with Vita if they couldn't with the Go.

calebcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 calebcop
Member since 2009 • 889 Posts

Actually, there's a better way. Keep your PSP.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts
Paying for something you already own, even if its a low price, is insane IMO. Its time to simply pick up cheap PSPs (which can be found used for $30-$80 where I'm at)
digimonkey12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 digimonkey12
Member since 2009 • 1851 Posts

Yes it is more than fair. Just to think it is possible on a completely new console ( with all the legal stuff ) makes it way cool. If one can not afford new memory cards, then this system is not for you ( or any new system). Keep your PSP and game on.

Jehuty08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jehuty08
Member since 2007 • 1950 Posts

I started buying games as downloads when i first heard about the PSPgo. After I found out I wasnt going to be able to transfer all of my UMDs over, I decided to just get a 3000 instead. I kept buying all of my new games as downloads though. over the course of the last 2 years, Ive been slowly selling umds that are on the psn and downloading them. At this point, I have like 10 umds left that arn't on the psn. If I really want to play them badly enough (which i will, cause the 10 left are among my favorites) I will just play my psp.

JNKtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JNKtastic

Yes it is more than fair. Just to think it is possible on a completely new console ( with all the legal stuff ) makes it way cool. If one can not afford new memory cards, then this system is not for you ( or any new system). Keep your PSP and game on.

digimonkey12
It isn't about not being able to afford the new memory cards otherwise I wouldn't have the stash of Memory Sticks - 16Gig sticks included - that I do now or the game collection I do now. It's rather more about the principle of everything. You already paid for everything once. But there is now a new console out that is meant to totally replace the one you have... but with no ability for backwards compatibility (except for digital downloads). Despite the fact that the new system was/is mean to replace the older one, there is no true backwards compatibility and if the UMD Passport Program works, you could get your backwards compatibility... but at the additional price of having to PAY AGAIN - and a lot - to port your older things over. The Vita is clearly meant to replace the PSP, not meant to be a totally brand new console apart from the PSP because otherwise, the PSP's digitized games wouldn't play on the Vita and the Vita wouldn't have access to the former PSP catalog. And yet there is no real backwards compatibility for the UMDs - a way for the Vita to truly replace the PSP which read games off of UMDs in addition to digital-only. If what people are saying is true and this program doesn't work out, then the Vita is a whole new console for anyone who has a UMD collection and not merely a replacement for the former PSP.
JNKtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JNKtastic

I started buying games as downloads when i first heard about the PSPgo. After I found out I wasnt going to be able to transfer all of my UMDs over, I decided to just get a 3000 instead. I kept buying all of my new games as downloads though. over the course of the last 2 years, Ive been slowly selling umds that are on the psn and downloading them. At this point, I have like 10 umds left that arn't on the psn. If I really want to play them badly enough (which i will, cause the 10 left are among my favorites) I will just play my psp.

Jehuty08
Same here, totally. I have a collection of UMD games that aren't available for download currently and may never be available (and if what calebcop says is true and the UMD Passport Program craps out like it did before) and so I will simply have to keep my PSP on hand and treat the Vita as an entirely new console. It's a bummer, though, to have to buy a game more than once. I had considered doing what you did, but owing to what I said about digital-only games and having to rely on internet connectivity and PSN server stability and whatnot... I just couldn't. I guess it doesn't help that when I was about to give that a shot, the PSN fiasco happened which left a rather sour taste in my mouth.
JNKtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JNKtastic

Ain't gonna happen. That same thing was supposed to happen for PSP Go but they bailed out because of all the legal stuff. Highly doubt they're going to be able to do it with Vita if they couldn't with the Go.

calebcop
It wasn't until you mentioned this that I remembered that Sony had mentioned of a similar program for the Go. Do you think there might be more hope for the program simply because Sony has 'rebooted' it in the sense of pushing the program out again with the advent of the Vita and doing the advertising/marketing for it?
Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
Seems like a nice program for those who have some good gems in the UMD collection But for people like this guy on the other thread who had a bookshelf full of psp games I think it's better to just keep the PSP, the PSV offers backward compatibility to some degree but you just can't truly have 2 consoles in one. I guess the best thing we could do is just keep our PSPs and just add good UMD titles that we enjoy the most Stuff like Crisis Core, Dissidia, God of War you know. I'm not paying any discounted fee for tiger woods golf tour.
NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts

calebcop
And this is exactly what I'll be doing.
rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts

calebcop
Yeah this is what I'm going to do, especially since PSP games are going to really cheap and can build a nice collection! :)
cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

Since I've got a bit of a collectors perspective, I say I'd prefer to keep my PSP.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#14 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

I'll keep my PSP. Not that interested in paying for games I've already paid for.

Never expected the UMDs to be transferred to the next generation so it's not a big deal.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Keep your PSP.. Problem solved.
Jack_240

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#16 Jack_240
Member since 2009 • 522 Posts

Paying for something I already own even for a discount fee is just insane and it's definitley not gonna happen on my part. I will buy the PS Vita, I have a digital copy of Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker and that's the only thing in my mind right now. I will keep my PSP for Kingdom Hearts Brith by Sleep and other games I might get a chance to play.

-Y2J-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -Y2J-
Member since 2005 • 1000 Posts
i have a question but i dont know if its been answered. i have a pspgo, with a handful of downloaded games on it. can i just transfer them to a psvita or do i lose them or something. help would be appreciated
gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
This won't be happening. If it does happen then I highly doubt there will be many bitters. Unless it's free, the American consumer won't bother. I personally will keep all the UMD's, play the PSP and probably purchase more as they get cheaper.
jordonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jordonj
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts
For the most part, I will use my PSP for my UMDs, but Monster Hunter and Gods Eater would be great with a 2nd stick.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Nope I've given up on BC compatibitlies for PSP to PSvita. I always hold on to my systems anyways. Sony does seem to support BC so UMD Passport progam may be short lived,

kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kage_53
Member since 2006 • 12671 Posts
This is one of the worst ideas I have heard. Paying for a game you already have ? Talk about greed. Anyone who has a PSP is better of keeping it.