ULTIMATE PLAYSTATION 3 HANDSHAKING ISSUE WITH SONY TELEVISION(Only the smartest)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OminousFayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 OminousFayth
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Alright guys & gals, have a crack at this. I am deeply hoping one of you knows how to fix this issue. I have owned a 60gb Playstation 3 since 2006-2007ish. When I bought it I did not own a HDTV, and therefore played SD (standard definition). But played very little at the time. Obviously if I would've known about future issues, I would've taken the ps3 back at the time. Fast forward to mid 2008, and I am working at Best Buy in Home Theater, and the SONY XBR4 comes out. I sell the crap out of the TV, because supposably it's the best HDTV on the market at that time. I end up buying one (the '40 inch Sony XBR4) around that same time. Now for my problem... Just to lay it out on the table before I start, I have tried absolutely everything I can think of. I have spent countless hours on the internet, forums, youtube, trying to find people with similar problems, or even people with different problems hoping to find a solution that might work. I have called Sony 3 seperate times, and talked to people who can barely speak english, and they all tell me to try the same things I've already tried..... here is everything I have tried... 1.) First of all, my Xbox360 works fine via - it's out of box HDMI cable into my television. Perfect 1080p HD. Microsoft gaming unit + Sony Telvision = HD working fine. Funny actually. Let me add, that the Xbox360 works fine in EVERY HDMI port on the television. All 3. So no burnt out HDMI port on the tv. 2.) Second off, my Playstation 3 does not work/handshake/connect via serperate OR same HDMI cable into my television. No 1080p whatsoever. It doesn't work in any of the 3 HDMI ports on the TV. However, the cables included with the ps3 (red, white, and yellow) work fine. 3.) My buddies identical 60gb Playstation 3 connects to my TV, via the same HDMI cable (I have multiple cables, and have even tried the Xbox included cable) and works absolutely perfect. So therefore, that leaves the television out of question, of being the one that could be the issue. 4.) Next, I obviously figured maybe my PS3 had a bad hdmi port. So I brought my parents Samsung HDTV downstairs, and gave it a shot with my Playstation 3, and the tv recognized the my Playstation 3 right away, and I was playing in HD on their tv fine. Alot of people at this point, would probably ask, "well when you had your red, white, and yellow cables in, did you go into the playstation 3's settings (hdmi cable plugged in to tv as well) and try and switch to 1080p hdmi mode?" and to answer that simply, yes, and YES. I've tried that countless times. 5.) I have tried every single option possible on the television as far as trying to make sure it would pick up the ps3, I have tried every option possible on the playstation 3 to get it to display on television. Every time I turn the playstation 3 to HDMI 1080p screen goes blank, and I wait 30 seconds for it to display in SD again. Here are some of the other things I've tried, and what Sony suggested: 6.) Unplugging everything (Television, Playstation 3, HDMI cables) waiting a couple of minutes for everything to be unpowered, unconnected, and replugging it all back in. Nothing obviously. 7.) Holding the reset button for multiple beeps, and the playstation 3 coming to a menu with 6 options (it's been a few months since I've even turned the stupid thing on so I don't remember every option) but I tried just about every option possible from that menu. I believe it was like restoring the ps3 to it's factory setting.... still got nothing. 8.) I tried formatting the playstation 3, did nothing. 9.) I have tried updating the playstation 3 to the latest filmware upgrade, still didn't get anything in HD. 10.) I have tried multiple HDMI cables, and every port on the television. I believe I've tried about 10-20 more things, I am forgetting at the moment. I should've posted a long time ago, but I would spend a couple of days, doing nothing but searching for a remedy for this, or physically messing with every option between the TV and ps3, and have never found a solution. I usually give up after a few days of trying really hard, and come back to it months later. This is no way to enjoy a Playstation 3. I am a huge Sony fan, and this is highly disappointing. I have a bunch of Playstation 3 games I want to play badly, but I refuse to play any of them until I can play them in HD. THATS THE REASON I BOUGHT THE DAMN SONY TV, SPECIFICALY FOR MY PS3, lol. So here are the facts simply stated. My PS3 - HDMI - MY SONY TV = Won't work ...... My XBOX360 - HDMI - MY SONY TV = Works Great! ...... Friends Identical PS3 - HDMI - MY SONY TV = Works Great!..... My PS3 - HDMI - DIFFERENT SAMSUNG TV = Works Great! Multiple HDMI cables = Won't Work Trying different HDMI ports on the TV = Wont' Work Restoring to Factory Settings = Won't work Reformatting = Won't Work Unplugging everything & waiting = Won't Work Just having the HDMI cable plugged in & turning on PS3 = Won't Work Upgrading to latest ps3 filmware = Nothing - Won't work I don't understand, and I might be repeating myself, but this has been GREATLY frustrating, and Sony isn't helping. Now the PS3 is long over warranty I'm sure, and I don't know if Sony will do anything about it. All they have done so far is given me a confirmation code, to give to someone else. I spend a great amount of time on hold, and I am tired of talking to guys who can barely speak english. My final thoughts, before clicking submit, are it's probably some kind of handshaking issue. Obviously my tv, and playstation both work fine working on seperate opposing mates. It's funny how the 2 sony products are the ones who are having problems, and my opposing product (xbox) works absolutely fine. The only other thing I can think of is a possible upgrade to the TV (see if sony has a filmware update for my build of television.) if anyone is smart enough to take a crack at all this, and you need manufacture dates, and all that, I can take a look. I hope someone has had the same issue, and came up with a solution, because I've exhausted every option I can think of, and I like to think of myself as a person with a pretty good knowledge on technology. I would absolutely be more than grateful for anyone who can solve this riddle. -Bradford
MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts
i have no idea why you might be experiencing such an issue... i have used phat and slim ps3s with my old sony hd-ready lcd tv, which i've bought late 2005 without any problems at all (which has only one hdmi port)... i am using my slim ps3 with my new sony 3d tv again with no problems and i am able to use the tv remote as a ps3 controller thanks to the bravia sync feature (not for playing games but while watching movies, the player section of the remote works perfectly)... since you have already listed all of the options one can choose as non-working options, i seriously am baffled about this issue...
OminousFayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 OminousFayth
Yeah, I am baffled as well. I tried to write out the most descriptive message as possible, it ended up being a novel. Lol. I just want to play the unopened PS3 games sitting on my shelf. I've always favored Sony over Microsoft, so this is definitely a bummer. Hopefully someone will have a solution.
mrzeba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mrzeba
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

try a component cable?

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

I don't have an answer for the problem but I think the audio/visual forum would be better suited for this issue.

OminousFayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 OminousFayth
Possibly, but I think I'd rather have someone with a Playstation 3, just because it's a problem more with the playstation. Everyone owns and HDTV, I need someone who has owned a TV and had the same problem with their PS3.
sainraja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 sainraja
Member since 2006 • 1956 Posts

You've tried everything BUT not selecting 1080p as an option. Your television may not support 1080p. Try 1080i and 720p as selected options to see if it works - after resetting it and connecting with 480i resolution using the HDMI cable.

CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts

I have the exact TV you do, a 40" Sony XBR4 and have zero problems with my PS3 hooked up with HDMI. Have used both the Big and Slim PS3s on it.

It isn't Sony's fault you have some weird fluke that apparently no one else has ever experienced. Just bad luck.

My solution...take your friends PS3 that works on your TV and give him your PS3

RogueShodown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RogueShodown
Member since 2009 • 2818 Posts

You've tried everything BUT not selecting 1080p as an option. Your television may not support 1080p. Try 1080i and 720p as selected options to see if it works - after resetting it and connecting with 480i resolution using the HDMI cable.

sainraja

To reset the display settings, hold the power button until it beeps a second time(once when it turns on and once more after a few seconds to indicate a reset of display settings. If 1080p doesn't work for whatever reason - even though the specs indicate that it's supported - the screen will turn black and change back to 480i after 30 seconds as long as you don't accept the changes.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

I also have a slight handshaking issue between my TV and PS3, i get the snow effect for a sec, then a blue screen, then snow and this alternates sometimes only once before the PS3 XMB appears and sometimes it'll do this for 20-30 seconds and then appear, luckily mine always appears, if there is an option to increase the wait time for a signal then it should be increased kinda like how your internet has a timeout period before it times out, but this option does not exist on the PS3 and so cannot be used.... I have absolutely no idea what can cause this, its like i read a while back where someone couldnt get their ps3 to show an image at home but if they went next door they could, even with the same TV... Just technology is made by humans and none will ever be perfect i think you got a horribly unfortunate situation on your hands. One thing i will say is try connecting your PS3 to a power adapter or extension, or remove the extension it is on... Sometimes even the most useless and disconnected action can solve things.

EDIT: After checking out your TV, is it a 3D TV at 120hz? If so then you may need to buy a HDMI cable of version 1.4, you mentioned testing your PS3 on a samsung TV and it could be that this TV was compatible with the cables you tried, perhaps all of your cables do not support the new TV's HDMI version.

AgentZero225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AgentZero225
Member since 2007 • 1718 Posts

It sucks that your having this issue. I have a sony XBR7 40 inch myself and I have used it with all of my PS3s. The slim, 60GB and 80GB which are all still working fine.

Here are a few things worth doing....

1) Reseting the display settings on the PS3. But it sounds like you have done this already.

2) Reseting the TV yes the TV back to its Factory settings. I had a small handshake issue myself with my XBR7 where sometimes the screen would go black for a few seconds and the go back to the game. Reseting the TV back to the factory setting fixed the issue a year ago and I never had that problem since. Look in the TV manual to see how to do that.

3) Lastly trade in that PS3 and pick up a new PS3 Slim. The slim is more reliable and better than the old fat PS3s. Buy a slim from Best Buy see if it works and keep it. If not return within 30 day period.

micjay22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 micjay22
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Hi Bradford, I have the similar issue as you. I have a XBR9. Left town for about 3 weeks, had my TV and PS3 completely powered off (power supply off). Today, I turned the PS3 on but got a black screen on the TV saying no signal. I held the power button to reset the graphic setting but I didn't see anything. I unplugged the HDMI cable from the back of the PS3 and plugged into my XBOX 360 and it worked. I then used a different HDMI cable on the PS3 and plugged into a different HDMI port on my TV, still no signal. I know it's not the cable or the specific HDMI port on my TV that's at fault. I then hook the PS3 to another TV (Westinghouse) via HDMI and it worked fine. So I know the graphic card in my PS3 is still kicking. Although I had problems playing blu-ray movies in the PS3 on the Westinghouse TV via HDMI, the TV keeps downgrading to 480i then said invalid format. This was fixed by reloading the default PS3 setting. While I'm at it, I also rebuild the database and restored the file system via the recovering menu, also upgraded to the latest 3.60 firmware. I then moved the PS3 back to my Sony XBR9 via HDMI, still nothing. I then tested it with a composite cable then a component cable, both worked fine. I think something must happened during the HDPC handshake and the connection is never able to establish. I upgraded the XBR9's firmware to the latest online, reset it back to factory setting, still no nothing. I then tried to use a HDMI hub in between, both XBR9 and Westinghouse cannot detect a signal. I also got a 1.4b HDMI cable, still nothing. I then changed to a 750GBs HDD, did a hard drive reformat, still nothing. The next step will be buying another switch that's HDCP compliant and put it in between the TV and PS3. I called Sony TV department, as expected, nobody knows anything. She told me to connect both composite and HDMI cable then manually change the display from composite to HDMI (which I've already done), then she told me to reset the TV back to factory setting, which I've already done. She then told me the only option left is to call my local Sony authorized repair shop, my warranty expired and it costs a none-refundable $75 for the technician to come out and take a look. And I highly doubt he will know what is wrong at the time of visit. I think I'm like you tried almost everything, I read some where somebody got their HDMI board replaced in their TV in order to clear the HDCP corruption. Let me know your progress please.