two ps3 on one account?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mafty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Mafty
Member since 2003 • 74 Posts

i want to get a ps3 for my gf"s house, but i want to keep using the same account i have for my ps3 at home to share trophies and etc. is this possible?

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Yes, but you can't be online at the same time and Sony probably locks your account if they see that you share it

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
Yeah, my brother has his account on both my PS3 and his.
hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts
i do that. I got 1 ps3 downstairs and another in the den. As others have said you cannpt have both online with the same account at the same time.
SummerHillard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 SummerHillard
Member since 2011 • 414 Posts

Be careful and specify what you mean by "account."

It is IMPOSSIBLE to have two of the same USER accounts exist at the same time. Even if you use the Data Transfer Utility, it will still delete the old user account after it transfers to the new console ... and even then, I don't know if it would be exactly the same as before on the new console.

Just because you create an account using the same user name doesn't mean jack. Any two people anywhere in the world can create two user accounts with the same user name ... that doesn't mean they have anything to do with one another. Plus, you can change the user name at any time. The user account is distinguished by a non-visible string of code that can NEVER be replicated on another console, save for the Data Transfer Utility (which, as I said, doesn't copy but merely transfers the account, deleting the old one on the old console ...and even then it may not be the same as before).

If you're talking about the PSN account (and not the user account), yes, you can log into multiple consoles, provided that you create a new user account that has not already been used to log into a different PSN account (each user account can only log into one PSN account, EVER. Otherwise people could easily synchronize the same set of trophies twice). But this doesn't mean you "have" the same account on a different console. It just means you logged in. PSN accounts cannot be "had" on consoles, you simply log in from somewhere.

Mafty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Mafty

Be careful and specify what you mean by "account."

It is IMPOSSIBLE to have two of the same USER accounts exist at the same time. Even if you use the Data Transfer Utility, it will still delete the old user account after it transfers to the new console ... and even then, I don't know if it would be exactly the same as before on the new console.

Just because you create an account using the same user name doesn't mean jack. Any two people anywhere in the world can create two user accounts with the same user name ... that doesn't mean they have anything to do with one another. Plus, you can change the user name at any time. The user account is distinguished by a non-visible string of code that can NEVER be replicated on another console, save for the Data Transfer Utility (which, as I said, doesn't copy but merely transfers the account, deleting the old one on the old console ...and even then it may not be the same as before).

If you're talking about the PSN account (and not the user account), yes, you can log into multiple consoles, provided that you create a new user account that has not already been used to log into a different PSN account (each user account can only log into one PSN account, EVER. Otherwise people could easily synchronize the same set of trophies twice). But this doesn't mean you "have" the same account on a different console. It just means you logged in. PSN accounts cannot be "had" on consoles, you simply log in from somewhere.

SummerHillard

okay....does this mean I can synch my trophies from two PS3s together or no? I understand that loging into the PSN network can be done from any PS3, but I want to share my trophies from both PS3s.

Ilinxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ilinxx
Member since 2011 • 53 Posts

If you're trying to transfer data to an entirely different ACCOUNT (i.e. different name, email address, password etc.), then no, you can't.

The data can be maintained if you're logging into the same account using a different PS3.

You can't "sync" trophy data between two entirely different accounts.

SummerHillard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SummerHillard

This thread is getting very confusing because when people use the word "account," they do no specify if they mean "user" or "PSN."

okay....does this mean I can synch my trophies from two PS3s together or no? I understand that loging into the PSN network can be done from any PS3, but I want to share my trophies from both PS3s.Mafty

If you have two separate user accounts on two separate consoles, you can make the same trophy list show up by logging into the same PSN account from either. But you're synchronizing trophies between the PSN account the user accounts on the consoles, not between the two user accounts themselves.

Mafty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mafty
:s lol even im confused now. Okay, I dont care if the user account is the same, because im not sure that even matters, thats just the ps3 user account. Im talking about using the same PSN account. the one you use to log online into. I just want to be able to log onto PSN and sync my trophies between the two systems so that if I play for example, infamous on one system, then go to my other system I can continue playing infamous where I left off.
Devouring_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#10 Devouring_One
Member since 2004 • 32312 Posts
:s lol even im confused now. Okay, I dont care if the user account is the same, because im not sure that even matters, thats just the ps3 user account. Im talking about using the same PSN account. the one you use to log online into. I just want to be able to log onto PSN and sync my trophies between the two systems so that if I play for example, infamous on one system, then go to my other system I can continue playing infamous where I left off.Mafty
yes, the trophies are recorded through the account. so if you log in somehwere else, you will have the same trophy achievements.
SummerHillard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SummerHillard

:s lol even im confused now. Okay, I dont care if the user account is the same, because im not sure that even matters, thats just the ps3 user account. Im talking about using the same PSN account. the one you use to log online into. I just want to be able to log onto PSN and sync my trophies between the two systems so that if I play for example, infamous on one system, then go to my other system I can continue playing infamous where I left off.Mafty

Yes, please try that and report back. If you want to continue "playing the game," then that means you would also have to transfer the saved game between consoles, correct? Well, as long as you log into the same PSN account from both consoles, thenthere shouldn't be a problem loading the saved game (most games won't let you use a save file created on another user account unless you log in to the same PSN account that is tied to that user account). It definitely isn't a problem in terms of trophies, but as far as saved games go ... most people SAY it works, but I've never tried it out personally. So actually, that would be great if you could try that and report back to everyone that it works fine.

da_nibbler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 da_nibbler
Member since 2011 • 97 Posts

only downside to this is not every game let's you transfer/copy your savegame to the second ps3. unless you're a plus member and use the cloud feature (which I am not).

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#13 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

i have my account on both of my ps3s, so ya you can ,