Turning PS3 off the wrong way

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bucketz23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Bucketz23
Member since 2006 • 298 Posts

Basically, when I first got my PS3, I was a stupid idiot and must have turned the PS3 off (seriously) over 100 times by flicking the ON/OFF button. As I am less stupid now, I understand the serious damage this can cause. I don't see any damage atm in terms of how the PS3 runs, but is there any long term damage I could expect? Should the PS3 be fine if I NEVER do this again? (The Ps3 is sort of loud now days, or maybe it's my paranoid mind.)

ekultus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ekultus
Member since 2010 • 1013 Posts
Dude it doesn't really matter, if it got damaged then u'd know but if not then no worries.
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
I can't imagine there being any significant long term damage. The biggest danger of turning off the system from the back is corrupting data or possibly even the OS when the system is in the middle of doing something. Yeah, it was a really dangerous thing to do, but as long as you always turn off the system the proper way from now on, there shouldn't be a problem. The PS3 will get louder over time because of dust building up. If you're feeling a little adventurous, I would recommend taking apart your PS3 completely (right down to taking apart the main fan, heatsink, etc from the main unit) and dusting the entire thing piece by piece... of course after your warranty has expired. I recently cleaned my system out and replaced the cooling gel, and the PS3 is ridiculously quiet now. Vacuuming your PS3 from the outside or using canned air does a lot less than you might think; I used to think that my weekly maintenance dusting was enough, but it turns out that the amount of dust inside was almost unreachable by external methods. But then again, my PS3 was 2.5 years old when I did this.
jkhd831

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jkhd831
Member since 2009 • 687 Posts

it should be fine. ive done it for a year and a half untill it finally broke, but u should be good just don't do it anymore

GramDubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GramDubs
Member since 2010 • 636 Posts

wow, thats really being a stupid idiot lol, i remember people used to turn it off like that on the ps2, and they thought it was the right way, and then i had to school them and they felt dumb and worried if they broke it. lol

Vic-Ferrari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Vic-Ferrari
Member since 2009 • 1637 Posts
This is why they include manuals.
ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#7 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

Sony anticipated this with the PS3 slim, removing the on/off switch entirely, but I bet there's a few people out there pulling the plugs out of their ps3 when their done with it to compensate.

uso_outkast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 uso_outkast
Member since 2006 • 114 Posts

Sony anticipated this with the PS3 slim, removing the on/off switch entirely, but I bet there's a few people out there pulling the plugs out of their ps3 when their done with it to compensate.

ThePerro

LOL

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

If it damaged anything it is data, so if all your save files and such are intact you have nothing to worry about :P.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#10 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Well.. I'd be worried, since I done that on my first PS3, and eventually it got YLOD, now, with my new one that I've had for 2 years, I turn it off perfectly and there are no problems :)

Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jak-25
Member since 2007 • 2475 Posts

ThePerro

lol

I used to turn mine off from the back but I finally stopped. I hope my PS3 lasts a long time. I have the 60 GB PS3.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Well.. I'd be worried, since I done that on my first PS3, and eventually it got YLOD, now, with my new one that I've had for 2 years, I turn it off perfectly and there are no problems :)

Venom_Raptor

lol MAYBE, just maybe it is a coincedence? Believe me your ps3 is fine TC, it would only affect data which is no biggie.

sk8code14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sk8code14
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

The power went off for a few seconds while i was playing infamous, and when i turned my power back on the ps3 told me i turn the system off wrong. so i went to play borderlands and my file was corrupted, so dont ever turn your ps3 of from the back.

Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
I can't imagine there being any significant long term damage. The biggest danger of turning off the system from the back is corrupting data or possibly even the OS when the system is in the middle of doing something. Yeah, it was a really dangerous thing to do, but as long as you always turn off the system the proper way from now on, there shouldn't be a problem.hazelnutman
Pretty much what I was going to say. if nothing happened before then it seems unlikely something will just pop up out of the blue. Just turn it off the correct way from now on and those past times shouldn't have any effect on the system.
successful19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 successful19
Member since 2009 • 307 Posts

i always just press the button in the middle of the game most of the time...it shouldn't do any damage

gbpackers94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gbpackers94
Member since 2008 • 685 Posts

Basically, when I first got my PS3, I was a stupid idiot and must have turned the PS3 off (seriously) over 100 times by flicking the ON/OFF button. As I am less stupid now, I understand the serious damage this can cause. I don't see any damage atm in terms of how the PS3 runs, but is there any long term damage I could expect? Should the PS3 be fine if I NEVER do this again? (The Ps3 is sort of loud now days, or maybe it's my paranoid mind.)

Bucketz23
Thats how I broke my original PS3.