Trying to like demon's souls

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jordonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 jordonj
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts

I've tried a thief and a solider and keep dying. I don't really know if I'm missing something. I may return the game, but if there's something I'm missing, please let me know!

xxFallenAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 xxFallenAngel
Member since 2011 • 753 Posts

You could go into more detail.

Tubatica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Tubatica
Member since 2004 • 166 Posts

I am playing my first time through as a magician, and believe me I know how you feel. My first 3-4 hrs of the game were mostly spent redoing the same parts over and over again. It is a hard game, but for me anyways it has gotten easier as I've leveled up and learned the game. Very steep learning curve, but a few tips are:

1. Press R3 to lock onto a specific target. Don't just swing away.

2. Roll side to side and back to avoid being hit. Has saved my life many times.

3. Kite enemies in groups one at a time if you can so you can take them out one by one.

Keep having patience with it and stick with it. I thought for a long time it wasn't going to be worth it, but 30+ hrs in now and I'm totally addicted.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
playing as Royal makes the first parts of the game incredibly easier.
shadow13702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 shadow13702
Member since 2008 • 1791 Posts

When you start of (part 1-1) its proably the hardest part in the game. Everything from there gets easier. Make sure you block, dodge, and learn when to attack

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
Try the Royal class. They start out with magic and the Fragrant Ring which restores MP. That way you can attack from afar, and then regain your magic.
Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
Well, stop trying and DO IT!!! :P Na, you should check out the wiki. Its full of tons of strategies and character guides and secrets and whatnot that will help you get the most out of the game.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#8 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

The Thief is the worst class to start with if you're a beginner. Magic is pretty powerful in the game, so you could go with a Royal or a Mage. The Royal starts with an item that restores MP.

You didn't go into much detail, but I'm gonna go ahead and guess that you're trying to play the game in a way you aren't supposed to. DS is not a fast-paced action game; you have to approach each battle carefully, and preferably with one opponent at a time. Take advantage of the notes that other players leave in the world. You should also make a habit of leaving good notes for other players, since you'll be rewarded for it.

Even though you may die a lot, soul form has advantages that you can't get while living. If you look at how some players die, you'll notice that they fall from high places. They do that for a reason!

coltgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 coltgames
Member since 2009 • 2120 Posts
choose a class that has fire from start itll make it easier
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

When you start of (part 1-1) its proably the hardest part in the game. Everything from there gets easier. Make sure you block, dodge, and learn when to attack

shadow13702

*Thinks of Latria and Valley of Defilement.*

*Shakes head, walks away*

mickcivic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mickcivic
Member since 2002 • 50 Posts

A question for your Demon's Souls veterans: do you eventually find a "groove" when playing the game?

For example, the Ninja Gaiden games were supposedly fairly difficult, and I'm actually not a fan of high difficulty, but I found that despite its difficulty, it was fun and I eventually fell into a nice little groove while playing it that made it seem not so hard.

shadow13702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 shadow13702
Member since 2008 • 1791 Posts

[QUOTE="shadow13702"]

Vari3ty

Only 5-2 was hard :P and Latria was just a maze tbh.

Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Foulcry
Member since 2008 • 960 Posts

I have had this game pretty much since it came out and have barely played it. I ned to play it. From what I remember I liked it a lot. It's just other games came out and I just ended up shelving it. I do want to get into it eventually. Same thing with Dragon Age. I have barely played that too. I started out in Demon Souls as a Royal. I heard it was the easiest class to start with for your first playthrough because of the special ring and magic. Prepare to die a lot.

kla55lazers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kla55lazers
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I got my PS3 a couple of days ago and have been playing Demon's Souls on it. I just beat 1-1 yesterday and I have been killing the red-eyed knight for souls. So far I am enjoying the game and am going to get started on 2-1 tomorrow most likely. If anyone wants to play together add me my PSN is kla55lazers. My soul level is 13 right now.
hurtix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hurtix
Member since 2009 • 112 Posts

yah try royal class as someone said previously

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#16 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

i think the tutorial section is pretty important. it teaches you how to attack, dodge, block, and counter. you need to learn how to do all of those to progress successfully especially if youre a melee fighter). if you didnt get all those down, id suggest practicing in the first level until (or restarting for the sake of getting the tutorial again) and make sure you can do it.

beyond that, demon's souls combat is just intense. more often then not, you survive longer by being cautious (checking around corners, looking out for traps, keeping a shield up just in case, etc...). however, the best players tend to be aggressive and active in the combat itself, building themselves for a swift and strong strike rather than hiding behind heavy armor. but again, this style requires that you know how to counter and dodge.

dk00111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dk00111
Member since 2007 • 3123 Posts
There was someone on this forum 2 weeks ago who said the exact same thing, and was frustrated to the point of giving up on the game. I PMed him some tips and now he's addicted to the game. Do yourself a favor and look up the Demon's Souls wiki. That site will help you more than anything. Then, once you have a good feel of how the game works, decide on which stats you're going to focus on, and what kind of warrior you're going to be (I prefer mage, but it depends on your tastes). If you want me to go into further detail, let me know.
KlepticGrooves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 KlepticGrooves
Member since 2010 • 2448 Posts

I've been in the same situation. Picked it up a few weeks ago and spent the best part of five hours trying to get through the first level. Started off with a Knight but changed to a Royal after a few hours of dying. It's now been shelved.

I appreciate it's a great game, but I don't enjoy dying hundreds of times, losing all my souls, and then attempting to get back to my body whilst fighting the same foes again. I know it's supposed to be hard, but I'd welcome a difficulty option. No doubt I'll try it out again but at the minute I simply don't enjoy the game.

jordonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jordonj

Thanks for the responses. I have a few more days so maybe I'll stick with it.

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts
I don't really think you should have to try to like a game. I gave Demon's Souls a chance and realized that in spite of what people say I don't consider it a great game. I understand why it has a following, but after several hours I decided that my time was best spent with other games.
San_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 San_09
Member since 2009 • 1206 Posts

No specific details huh?

1- Use your SHIELD. Probably, one of the most important items in the game.

2- DONT parry- it is a skill that is difficult to master, if you fail, you get hit. Learn it later.

3- Learn enemy attack patterns.

4- DO NOT FIGHT THE RED KNIGHT.

5- Learn MAGIC

6- If you have a lot of souls, level up yoyr character ASAP. You will NOT be able to Level up until you have beaten the first level.

and finally....

Play Slowly, this is NOT God Of War.

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

start as a royal or a temple knight. They're the easier classes to get started with.

jordonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jordonj
By the red knight, do you mean the Red Eye knight? (the one who hands you your shish-kebab a**?) I'm confilcted. I love the design but the dying and starting over is getting old (the sort of thing that makes up video game hell.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#24 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
[QUOTE="jordonj"]By the red knight, do you mean the Red Eye knight? (the one who hands you your shish-kebab a**?) I'm confilcted. I love the design but the dying and starting over is getting old (the sort of thing that makes up video game hell.

yes. he's mean and doesnt take well to visitors on his bridge. you wont even be able to get the doors behind him open until later in the game.
dk00111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dk00111
[QUOTE="jordonj"]By the red knight, do you mean the Red Eye knight? (the one who hands you your shish-kebab a**?) I'm confilcted. I love the design but the dying and starting over is getting old (the sort of thing that makes up video game hell.

Once you get to the top of the castle where the first blue knight is, kill him and continue going forward (into the room that has stairs going down). If you can go down all the way and kill all the enemies, you'll find a lever, pull it, and you've made yourself a shortcut in case you die again. Like others have said, play slowly and make use of your shield and rolling.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

There was someone on this forum 2 weeks ago who said the exact same thing, and was frustrated to the point of giving up on the game. I PMed him some tips and now he's addicted to the game. Do yourself a favor and look up the Demon's Souls wiki. That site will help you more than anything. Then, once you have a good feel of how the game works, decide on which stats you're going to focus on, and what kind of warrior you're going to be (I prefer mage, but it depends on your tastes). If you want me to go into further detail, let me know. dk00111

@dk0111

BTW, did you ever manage to get past the blue dragon in 1-4?

dk00111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dk00111

[QUOTE="dk00111"]There was someone on this forum 2 weeks ago who said the exact same thing, and was frustrated to the point of giving up on the game. I PMed him some tips and now he's addicted to the game. Do yourself a favor and look up the Demon's Souls wiki. That site will help you more than anything. Then, once you have a good feel of how the game works, decide on which stats you're going to focus on, and what kind of warrior you're going to be (I prefer mage, but it depends on your tastes). If you want me to go into further detail, let me know. Vari3ty

@dk0111

Ah yes, I looked up how to get passed him on youtube and then spammed him with heavy arrows. :P I was surprised at how much health he had. The red dragon was much, much easier imo.
DonutNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DonutNerd
Member since 2011 • 173 Posts

If you don't enjoy playing the game then don't play it. There's no point waisting time on games you don't like.

KurupSoldr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KurupSoldr
Member since 2006 • 4094 Posts
[QUOTE="dk00111"][QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

There was someone on this forum 2 weeks ago who said the exact same thing, and was frustrated to the point of giving up on the game. I PMed him some tips and now he's addicted to the game. Do yourself a favor and look up the Demon's Souls wiki. That site will help you more than anything. Then, once you have a good feel of how the game works, decide on which stats you're going to focus on, and what kind of warrior you're going to be (I prefer mage, but it depends on your tastes). If you want me to go into further detail, let me know. dk00111

@dk0111

Ah yes, I looked up how to get passed him on youtube and then spammed him with heavy arrows. :P I was surprised at how much health he had. The red dragon was much, much easier imo.

I am you a couple weeks ago, frustrated and pissed. My advice use that website and look for a build to work towards if you have a goal you will do good and know where to spend your souls on level up. DK helped me a lot and now i am half way through NG+ more addicted than ever it will get better, but you have to take the time to learn a bit about weapon upgrades and enemeis more so than other games. I promise if you do that you will enjoy it much more, i even did levels a couple times to get more health and more souls to level up quicker. If you need help i can only do for you what was done for me, PM me anytime with questions and i will do my best to assist.
mkaliaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mkaliaz
Member since 2004 • 1979 Posts

By the red knight, do you mean the Red Eye knight? (the one who hands you your shish-kebab a**?) I'm confilcted. I love the design but the dying and starting over is getting old (the sort of thing that makes up video game hell.jordonj

I know what you mean. It is frustrating to start over with everything respawned. The good thing though is that for MOST of the stages, they have shortcuts built into the levels usually by means of opening up a gate, dropping a ladder, or something similar. So, if you do start over, you can skip over most or all of the level to get to the end up for the level.

Also, another thing I wanted to say. I think a lot of people have problems with DS because they are used to other games that encourage to attack first. Your first priiority almost always should be to avoid damage and then worry about attacking when you can. Once you learn how to dodge, roll, and block well, you will find the game MUCH easier

jordonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jordonj

If you don't enjoy playing the game then don't play it. There's no point waisting time on games you don't like.

DonutNerd
Yeah, but there's that other side of me that just likes doing a difficult thing well (probably why I am intrigued by fly fishing).
parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 parvie
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts

[QUOTE="shadow13702"]

Vari3ty

latria was a piece of cake and the VoD was too!
dk00111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dk00111
@KurupSoldr: Don't want to hijack the thread, but how's your NG+ going?
[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

[QUOTE="shadow13702"]

parvie

VoD was a huge pain. It was annoying more than difficulty, but I hated that level.
00Killaz00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#34 00Killaz00
Member since 2010 • 1014 Posts

Lol, I've died maybe like 25 times in my entire 48 hours... most of those were stupid mistakes or damn black phantoms -.-

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

why do you have to "try" to like a game? or any other product, regardless of how big a cult following it commands? it's your money, your time, and your preferrence. you don't owe From Software anything and if you're not having fun, it's their fault, not yours.

johnlennon28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 johnlennon28
Member since 2008 • 2158 Posts
keep trying!!! i didnt like the the game at first aswell becaus i keep dying, I dont mind dying but going all the way back was a pain, but after I defeated the first boss oh my the addiction to demons souls begun, ive put hundreds and hundreds of hrs in it
Yazu13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#37 Yazu13
Member since 2005 • 5185 Posts

Get better..........then beat Level 1.

Seriously, this game is great. You need to put in some realeffort because trading Demon's Souls in before you even start to really delve into the game would be a huge mistake. You'll miss out on a masterpiece. Part of the reason why the game is so great is because it doesn't hold your hand and you feel accomplished for everything you conquer.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

I've been in the same situation. Picked it up a few weeks ago and spent the best part of five hours trying to get through the first level. Started off with a Knight but changed to a Royal after a few hours of dying. It's now been shelved.

I appreciate it's a great game, but I don't enjoy dying hundreds of times, losing all my souls, and then attempting to get back to my body whilst fighting the same foes again. I know it's supposed to be hard, but I'd welcome a difficulty option. No doubt I'll try it out again but at the minute I simply don't enjoy the game.

KlepticGrooves

This sums up my DS experience. I don't have enough time to game as it is, and to waste hours just trying to get into a groove with a game doesn't do it for me. I made it through maybe 2-3 levels before I just said it's not worth it. I shouldn't have to learn to like a game. It's gameplay should make me enjoy it.

That being said I didn't try it as a Royal, so maybe I'll pick it up again at some point, and try it as a Royal. I know as a Knight the game sucks to me.

KurupSoldr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KurupSoldr

@KurupSoldr: Don't want to hijack the thread, but how's your NG+ going? [QUOTE="parvie"][QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

dk00111

VoD was a huge pain. It was annoying more than difficulty, but I hated that level.

its going pretty good i will be back on today after a few off. going to do level 3 today so i can get soul thirst about to do some serious farming during the week but its a bit harder for sure at least i know the jump in difficulty is not quite as steep after this play through, how bout you?

KurupSoldr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 KurupSoldr
[QUOTE="coasterguy65"]

[QUOTE="KlepticGrooves"]

This sums up my DS experience. I don't have enough time to game as it is, and to waste hours just trying to get into a groove with a game doesn't do it for me. I made it through maybe 2-3 levels before I just said it's not worth it. I shouldn't have to learn to like a game. It's gameplay should make me enjoy it.

That being said I didn't try it as a Royal, so maybe I'll pick it up again at some point, and try it as a Royal. I know as a Knight the game sucks to me.

I dont think you have to learn to like a game, but when 90% of games out there hold your hand or dont have learning curves a game llike this will drive you insane until you take the time to learn a few things about it. I absolutely think this may be the best game i have had on my ps3 since launch, besides MP shooters i have put more hours into this than most games. and for 15$ WOW