Trouble with DVI cable and having no sound, plz help

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Livewirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Livewirez
Member since 2006 • 597 Posts

I bought a ps3 last week and I have been using the componant cable with my HDTV (plugged into the YPbPr(R/L) slots), but I also have an xbox 360 that needs to go in there too and I have to switch the cable with the xbox cable because my tv only has one set of 'YPbPr(R/L)' slots. It also doesn't support HDMI, so I bought a DVI cable that is HDMI > DVI for my TV so that I can have both the xbox (in the YPbPr) and the ps3 in the DVI, but DVI has no sound. So I still have the componant cable in the ps3 for the audio just I don't know where i'm supposed to put them (red and white audio cables), I tried putting them into the PC audio slots but the sound then only plays on the VGA channel, I also tried putting the audio cables into SCART 1 & 2, and even the YPbPr but the audio will only play on those channels, how do I get it to play on the DVI channel!?

It's driving me nuts because it would defeat the purpose of using the dvi cable if I can't get the sound to work...does anyone know how to do it?

Enthasius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Enthasius
Member since 2004 • 90 Posts

DVI is video only, not sound.

You'll have to use optical going to your TV or seperate speaker set if they support it.

GeneralX84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GeneralX84
Member since 2007 • 768 Posts

DVI is video only, not sound.

You'll have to use optical going to your TV or seperate speaker set if they support it.

Enthasius

not necessary

a completely free way is to use the AV cable that came with your PS3 system to output sound, only red and white need to be used

Livewirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Livewirez
Member since 2006 • 597 Posts

Yes I know that but I can't get the sound to play on the DVI channel.

junkai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 junkai
Member since 2004 • 42 Posts

ok buddy i know what ur going through cause i had the same issua... cause sony doesnt officially support this so there is no point asking them...u know by now that DVI is only for video... i dont think that tvs are able to produce video and audio from two seperate channels... if u plug in the dvi through hdmi its gona expect the sound to come from there aswell cuase it supports both... the only way is to put the audio via optical cable... but most pc speakers dont have that... the only ones i found were 5.1 surround but they are expensive... this is the best way of getting sound but i cant guarantee this will work...

i've done it another way..i bought a samsung 20 inch tft monitor... but u can use any tft that has dvi input and a high resolution..... plug ur dvi and choose to set ur audio via the audio input connector/scart/av multi...(the last one of the three options).... now most pc speakers dont ahve a red/white input so u just buy a little connector that has red/white input on one side and an inpt for ur pc speakers... these are very cheap....

im in love with the screen... try to look for 206BW samsung... u wont regret it... it has a contrast of 3000:1 and a it can handle HD up to 1650:1050... its not full hd but it does the job very well...

let me know if it works via ur tv... good luck