Today I bought the MGS: HD collection and have a Q...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts
I am wondering what order would be best for playing these 3 games. They seem to have it set having MGS3: Snake Eater first, then MGS: Peace Walker, and last being MGS2: Sons of Liberty. But is this the best order to play them in? I guess timeline wise it's the best way but I was just curious if I should follow that order? I guess now I'm finally going to have to go buy MGS4 after I finish this massive quest, just so I can have the full collection on hand. Gonna be a lot of fun getting back into these and seeing all the new stuff (I haven't yet played MGS3 or Peace Walker)!
ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ExoticAnimal
Member since 2010 • 39796 Posts
Probably best to play it based on the original release date of the games.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
That is chronologically the correct way, (it's MGS3, MGSPO, MGSPW, MG1, MG2, MGS, MGS2, MGS4) but I think there are some stuff (mostly little references) you won't get by playing that way. I would say play it based on the original release dates too.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
2 - 3 - PW
The_X_Factor_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 The_X_Factor_9
Member since 2009 • 503 Posts

I would make sure to play the first Metal Gear Solid first. The story of that one is so epic and sets the stage for what comes next.

I would play them in the correct order. 2-3-4-PW.

If you play through MGS, you'll enjoy MGS4 so much more.

I still think MGS4 is the best game on the PS3.

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1842 Posts

I would say play it 2-3-then PW. 2 before three because the game evolves in 3. You don't want to feel like you're going down in quality/features. (not saying these aren't quality games). PW I've never played but from what I've seen it seems the same as 3.

Sorry but I have to hijack your thread a little bit--if you/anyone can answer this: Does the MGS3 HD game have the original top down-view or does it have the Subsistence 360 camera like in MGS4?

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

I would say play it 2-3-then PW. 2 before three because the game evolves in 3. You don't want to feel like you're going down in quality/features. (not saying these aren't quality games). PW I've never played but from what I've seen it seems the same as 3.

Sorry but I have to hijack your thread a little bit--if you/anyone can answer this: Does the MGS3 HD game have the original top down-view or does it have the Subsistence 360 camera like in MGS4?

cdragon_88
Subsistence. But it's not exactly like MGS4 in that it's not quite TPS when shooting.
jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts
Well crud, I started with MGS3, how they set the order in the main menu. I got about 6 hours in last night, it's a pretty cool game but damn the controls on this game are quite terrible and frustrating, especially when it comes to shooting (which you do a lot of course). The barely holding down square thing while holding R1 and holding L1 to aim is damn near maddening to me. Then every time you let go of square you either lose track of your target or snake just starts running off somewhere. I don't see how Kojima accepted this control scheme, it could have been a lot smoother. That said, the story in MGS3 is pretty good so far, other than people showing off their gun twirling skills for 10 minutes straight. Another thing I wondered is MGS3 actually has MGS1 and MGS2 (the old 8bit versions) inside the game that you can play from the getgo, should I play those before I play MGS2?
evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 evilross
Member since 2003 • 2076 Posts

I would not worry about release date order, that will only mess you up in the long run if your going for the story and haven't played MGS and MGS3 before.

You can buy MGS off PSN

Play MGS3, PeaceWalker, (then MG and MG2 if you feel like it). Then play MGS, MGS2. Then go buy MGS4 and enjoy the best game this gen, with all you need to understand and enjoy the wrap up of the most epic stoyline in gaming history.

evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 evilross
Member since 2003 • 2076 Posts

Well crud, I started with MGS3, how they set the order in the main menu. I got about 6 hours in last night, it's a pretty cool game but damn the controls on this game are quite terrible and frustrating, especially when it comes to shooting (which you do a lot of course). The barely holding down square thing while holding R1 and holding L1 to aim is damn near maddening to me. Then every time you let go of square you either lose track of your target or snake just starts running off somewhere. I don't see how Kojima accepted this control scheme, it could have been a lot smoother. That said, the story in MGS3 is pretty good so far, other than people showing off their gun twirling skills for 10 minutes straight. Another thing I wondered is MGS3 actually has MGS1 and MGS2 (the old 8bit versions) inside the game that you can play from the getgo, should I play those before I play MGS2?jer_1

You will get used to the controls, it just takes a little time. Once you get it down, you'll be a CQC master, and feel like a sneaking king.

I can't stress this enough though, don't listen to these jokers. If you are new to the series DO NOT play MGS2 until you have at least played through MGS3 and MGS1. Then play MGS4 directly afterward.

Peacewalker is not really needed to get the full effect of the story, but Peacewalker had one of the better storys of the series taken as a stand alone game. Plus PeaceWalker is just awesome and fun. MG 1 and 2 are not really needed either, but if you want to play them, do so after Peacewalker.

The best order is MGS3 - Peacewalker - (MG 1 & 2) - MGS - MGS2 - MGS4

omgmike23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 omgmike23
Member since 2012 • 33 Posts

[QUOTE="jer_1"]Well crud, I started with MGS3, how they set the order in the main menu. I got about 6 hours in last night, it's a pretty cool game but damn the controls on this game are quite terrible and frustrating, especially when it comes to shooting (which you do a lot of course). The barely holding down square thing while holding R1 and holding L1 to aim is damn near maddening to me. Then every time you let go of square you either lose track of your target or snake just starts running off somewhere. I don't see how Kojima accepted this control scheme, it could have been a lot smoother. That said, the story in MGS3 is pretty good so far, other than people showing off their gun twirling skills for 10 minutes straight. Another thing I wondered is MGS3 actually has MGS1 and MGS2 (the old 8bit versions) inside the game that you can play from the getgo, should I play those before I play MGS2?evilross

You will get used to the controls, it just takes a little time. Once you get it down, you'll be a CQC master, and feel like a sneaking king.

I can't stress this enough though, don't listen to these jokers. If you are new to the series DO NOT play MGS2 until you have at least played through MGS3 and MGS1. Then play MGS4 directly afterward.

Peacewalker is not really needed to get the full effect of the story, but Peacewalker had one of the better storys of the series taken as a stand alone game. Plus PeaceWalker is just awesome and fun. MG 1 and 2 are not really needed either, but if you want to play them, do so after Peacewalker.

The best order is MGS3 - Peacewalker - (MG 1 & 2) - MGS - MGS2 - MGS4

Don't listen to these Jokers? Why Wouldn't You play MGS2 Before 3, guess what when that game came out anyone who was playing MGS played that before 3. It makes sense to play 2 before 3. Now if you really want to get a grasp play 1, 2 , 3, and 4 in that order. don't skip around.
anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts
Play them in order of release.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Play them in order of release. anime_gamer007

THIS.

Of course you play them in release sequence. Despite being jumps in time, the release sequence is how the game developed, and I think it's as important to understand the story as it is to appreciate the changes to the programming, graphics, sound... Everything, to play them as they were released to us originally...

;)

Avatar image for doolindesperado
doolindesperado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 doolindesperado
Member since 2004 • 296 Posts

You can really play them in any order you wish. I started with MGS2, then I will think I will do 3 and then Peace Walker. MGS2 would be a good place to start because you can master the controls, which will make 3 easier.

When you are thru with the HD Collection, I would try to find a copy of MGS 1 or the Twin Snakes, which was a remake of MGS on the gamecube built with the engine for MGS2. Then, I would play MGS 4. Trust me, everything will make sense then. :D

Have fun with them, there're some of the best games out there.

Avatar image for TomatoDragonPSN
TomatoDragonPSN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TomatoDragonPSN
Member since 2012 • 535 Posts
Best to play them in the order they were released. You can also get mgs1 off of the psn if u r so inclined. :)
Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
Probably best to play it based on the original release date of the games.ExoticAnimal
Play MGS2 first because it hasn't aged well. Every other MGS game has.
doolindesperado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 doolindesperado

[QUOTE="ExoticAnimal"]Probably best to play it based on the original release date of the games.Chaos_Bladez

I agree. I just finished it about a week ago, and it did seem really dated.

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts

[QUOTE="Chaos_Bladez"][QUOTE="ExoticAnimal"]Probably best to play it based on the original release date of the games.doolindesperado

To be clear, I was saying MGS2's controls and camera angle aren't good any more. I was also saying that MGS1, MGS3, MGS4, and MGS PW have aged well and still play well today.
MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#19 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Well, as most have said you should play it in order of release "BUT" if you really want to understand the story, you should start with MGS3 (technically it's MGS1)

doolindesperado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 doolindesperado

[QUOTE="doolindesperado"]

[QUOTE="Chaos_Bladez"] Play MGS2 first because it hasn't aged well. Every other MGS game has.Chaos_Bladez

To be clear, I was saying MGS2's controls and camera angle aren't good any more. I was also saying that MGS1, MGS3, MGS4, and MGS PW have aged well and still play well today.

I agree with you 100%. The one that aged very well was MGS 3. That was the best of the series, I thought.