Thoughts About : Heavy Rain

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Krimson16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Krimson16
Member since 2009 • 32 Posts

A great game with simple controls and a lot of choices. while being a short game it has plenty of replay value due to the different endings, decisions, and the inevitible mess ups. Very suspenseful aided with extremely well done music. It took me one day to beat which wasn't to bad because I figured with gameslengths today you just never know but after beating it I immediately started over going "Hmm I should do everything differently."

Overall- Very enjoyable hard to stop playing and worth playing over and over again. I would buy it if any stores around me got the game in :(

Thoughts?

Eazy1891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Eazy1891
Member since 2009 • 3089 Posts
you do realise you can write this in a review right? on the site go to the page and click write review and boom youre good
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

A great game with simple controls and a lot of choices. while being a short game it has plenty of replay value due to the different endings, decisions, and the inevitible mess ups. Very suspenseful aided with extremely well done music. It took me one day to beat which wasn't to bad because I figured with gameslengths today you just never know but after beating it I immediately started over going "Hmm I should do everything differently."

Overall- Very enjoyable hard to stop playing and worth playing over and over again. I would buy it if any stores around me got the game in :(

Thoughts?

Krimson16
its so weird that the director of the game said you shouldnt play it muttiple times.. ive heard like 10 people that playd the game say that they want to replay it right away... im thinking about buying this game next week... heard nothing but good things about it but i didnt really like indigo prophecy..
juden41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 juden41
Member since 2010 • 4447 Posts
I just beat it an hour ago, I loved it, thought the whole experience was very immersive and exciting, and yeah, if I play it again, I want to make different choices too to see what happens differently.
aka_Static

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 aka_Static
Member since 2009 • 415 Posts

The game's only addicting your first play through. Now I'm just milking it for trophies and have seen about 10 different endings/epilogues. Even though you can get multiple endings, they still don't make me want to buy the game. I was heavily addicted when I first sat down to play it, but now the majority of it just seems like a chore going through and making bad decisions.

Eazy1891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Eazy1891
Member since 2009 • 3089 Posts

The game's only addicting your first play through. Now I'm just milking it for trophies and have seen about 10 different endings/epilogues. Even though you can get multiple endings, they still don't make me want to buy the game. I was heavily addicted when I first sat down to play it, but now the majority of it just seems like a chore going through and making bad decisions.

aka_Static
cuz ur making yourself play for trophies
Joemama2069

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Joemama2069
Member since 2009 • 224 Posts

I took it apart twice over the last week on a rental. It is a fantastic game...but I think saving 52 dollars made more sense knowing I could beat it and burn the fun out of it in 7 days time.

spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 spawnassasin
Member since 2006 • 18702 Posts

[QUOTE="Krimson16"]

Thoughts?

MethodManFTW

its so weird that the director of the game said you shouldnt play it muttiple times.. ive heard like 10 people that playd the game say that they want to replay it right away... im thinking about buying this game next week... heard nothing but good things about it but i didnt really like indigo prophecy..

dont worry it doesnt do that stupid dbz fighting thing IP did

but yes the game was awesome and beat it twice in the same week would have been 3 but you know how school work can get

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
you do realise you can write this in a review right? on the site go to the page and click write review and boom youre good Eazy1891
Actually, it's perfectly fine to write thoughts and opinions on PS3 games as a new thread. It was cleared up by a moderator a few months back when everyone was telling this one guy to post a blog/review about, and a mod stepped in and spanked everyone with his words of truth.
aka_Static

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 aka_Static
Member since 2009 • 415 Posts

[QUOTE="aka_Static"]

Eazy1891

cuz ur making yourself play for trophies

Yea, and if I weren't doing that I wouldn't feel obligated to play the game ever again. Your point?

spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 spawnassasin

[QUOTE="Eazy1891"]you do realise you can write this in a review right? on the site go to the page and click write review and boom youre good hazelnutman
Actually, it's perfectly fine to write thoughts and opinions on PS3 games as a new thread. It was cleared up by a moderator a few months back when everyone was telling this one guy to post a blog/review about, and a mod stepped in and spanked everyone with his words of truth.

ooooowwwwhhhaaa a mod did something useful
im kidding im sure theyre very good at their jobs and im not just saying that so i wont get banned:|

Avatar image for Ultrabeatdown55
Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ultrabeatdown55
Member since 2008 • 15314 Posts
[QUOTE="Eazy1891"]you do realise you can write this in a review right? on the site go to the page and click write review and boom youre good hazelnutman

Pwned indeed.
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hazelnutman
Pwned indeed. Ultrabeatdown55
That wasn't my intention though :cry:
xxxAdvocatexxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 xxxAdvocatexxx
Member since 2008 • 1797 Posts

How long is Heavy Rain, Anyway?

spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 spawnassasin

xxxAdvocatexxx

i beat it in 10 or 9 hours

but its got 22 different endings so the replay value is good

Avatar image for Ultrabeatdown55
Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ultrabeatdown55
Member since 2008 • 15314 Posts
[QUOTE="Ultrabeatdown55"] Pwned indeed. hazelnutman

No I meant in the thread you were referring too :lol:
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hazelnutman
[QUOTE="hazelnutman"][QUOTE="Ultrabeatdown55"] Pwned indeed. Ultrabeatdown55

No I meant in the thread you were referring too :lol:

OH! :lol: Yes indeedy, I suppose you could say that we were all pwned quite well :P
Spike211187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Spike211187
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I'm currently on my first playthrough and enjoying it greatly. I plan on trying a few different paths once I finish the first one. I like what is being done with it and am looking forward to more like it but i don't think I will be buying it. The replay really isnt worth it. But I am enjoying the experience.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

I just beat it for the first time about half an hour ago. Was one hell of a ride and from what I can tell the game has got some serious replay value although I doubt I'll be able to play it more than 2-3 times through before finding it to be a chore to play through (luckily I've got two friends who want to play it, and one of them isn't great at gaming so I'll let him get the bad ends for me :P). The key to replayability with this kind of game is to leave it alone for awhile after you get bored, then come back once you feel the urge to play it again. It's like a movie in that regard.

My only complaints about the game are that there are some gaping plot holes in the story...like characters talking about one another as if they know each other well when they haven't met one single time during the entire game (to say nothing of certain revelations in the plot where you literally sit there going "wai...WHAT?!"). There's also major plot points that never get answered. It would seem that considering Indigo Prophecy and this game, Quantic Dream is unable to make a plot that can stay coherent the whole through (although to their credit this game's plot never gets mishandled anywhere near as badly as IP's did). Also, while I love the immersiveness of the controls they do have some issues with responsiveness that occasionally crop up. Worse are the movement controls. It's like Quantic Dream played some survival horror games from the PS1 era and said to themselves "yeah, these controls are pretty bad BUT WE CAN MAKE THEM WORSE". Another big issue is that sometimes in the game you do an action that you think will do one thing but winds up doing something completely different. Most of the time this isn't a big deal, but sometimes it winds up killing a character (for example, there was one part in the game where I thought I was going to help a character but actually ended up doing an action that made me leave them to die instead).

Aside from those issues though the game is great. Totally worth buying. Even if you want to just rent it I'd still suggest buying it since adventure games are very rare these days and high sales for Heavy Rain could help revive the genre.

Adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Adziboy
Member since 2007 • 10187 Posts

Yeah but this guys done it for every single game he buys.
HellsAngel2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 HellsAngel2c
Member since 2004 • 5540 Posts
I loved and am loving every second of it. I've beat it twice and am going through it for trophies (which are really difficult in some cases). The characters are awesome and I love how yo can unlock certain scenes and conversations just by doing one thing a bit differently. I have to say: the scenes with Jayden are probably some of the best, especially near the end where he uses his ARI for the last time. The detail that went into everything is just mindblowing
ryrulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 ryrulez
Member since 2008 • 11605 Posts
im thinking about buying this game next week... heard nothing but good things about it but i didnt really like indigo prophecy.. MethodManFTW
It really is nothing like Indigo Prophecy. There's no weird AI bugs trying to attack you:P
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#23 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

It was pretty good. It was a shame to see one of the better elements of Indigo Prophecy taken out of this game, that being that your actions in one scene really effect what happens in another scene or what is said (like when you hide evidence). Heavy Rain it never mattered, you can be an ass to your kid all the way through and have him love you, you can take the drug with Norman all the way through and still get him to quit at the end, how you treat other characters through the game makes no difference or if secondary characters live or die. HR also starts off very boring unlike the IP which has you wanted to see more and more as you go (until about the 3/4 mark where a lot of people started to hate the story).

while being a short game it has plenty of replay value due to the different endings

All endings can be gotten if you just keep replaying the scene with Ethan after trial 4 on. Platinum trophy gotten doing that. No need to play through the entire game 7+ times

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Legolas_Katarn

im thinking about buying this game next week... heard nothing but good things about it but i didnt really like indigo prophecy..

Unless you think you would like the IP with a different kind of story, worse gameplay, better graphics, and better button promts you have no reason to play Heavy Rain then. Gamespot really needs to fix this no more than one quote html error crap.
ryrulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 ryrulez
Member since 2008 • 11605 Posts

im thinking about buying this game next week... heard nothing but good things about it but i didnt really like indigo prophecy..Legolas_Katarn

Unless you think you would like the IP with a different kind of story, worse gameplay, better graphics, and better button promts you have no reason to play Heavy Rain then. Gamespot really needs to fix this no more than one quote html error crap.

How is the gameplay worse?
david_lck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 david_lck
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

aka_Static
Yeah, I know what you mean as in that ten hours or less playing the game - you will have already made a connection with the characters in Heavy Rain. I can understand why Lark Anderson in his review stated that he wouldn't want to go back and do things differently. Everyone from the sassy and streetsmart journalist Madison Paige to downtrodden and out of his luck, Ethan Mars are so believable and relatable that to go back and change your actions, it would defeat the purpose. Having said that, I would say to give the game another go as things do change dramatically depending on your actions.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Legolas_Katarn

[QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"]

im thinking about buying this game next week... heard nothing but good things about it but i didnt really like indigo prophecy..ryrulez

How is the gameplay worse?

It's the same thing really just with features removed. You no longer have to worry about a characters mental state or how things will effect them and your actions in one scene have no big effect on future scenes, dialouge choices don't matter as nothing changes the events in Heavy Rain (at least in IP it could effect your mental state). There was only three times I noticed any different dialogue in Heavy Rain due to past actions and all of those were just a couple lines changed. All of Heavy Rains endings can be seen just by playing through On the Loose and on, which is the last 30 minutes or less of the game (as long as you have all the characters alive).

david_lck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 david_lck
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

[QUOTE="xxxAdvocatexxx"]

spawnassasin

Um, there are only seven different endings in the game.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Legolas_Katarn

[QUOTE="spawnassasin"]

[QUOTE="xxxAdvocatexxx"]

david_lck

Um, there are only seven different endings in the game.

No there is more. You can see all of the endings with seven playthroughs. I have seen them all and did it in seven but because each character has different endings you get about 1-3 for every finish. I just shut the game off after getting my platinum trophy, I believe that there are 19 endings. The guide just gives you the fastest way to see them all but they can combine in different ways.

blackstace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 blackstace
Member since 2006 • 82 Posts

my thoughts on the voiceactress of madison is def. hot =0)'

GenTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#31 GenTom
Member since 2005 • 5945 Posts
I thoroughly enjoyed it. Took me the weekend to complete it (probably 12-15 hours) and really had me gripped with the story and characters. Loved every part of it and i'd genuinly say it's an instant classic, contender for GOTY and i'd give it a 9.8/10. Can't praise it highly enough. Only small problems are occasionally clunky controls when controlling the characters and sometimes you fail at a task without knowing why/how you could have done better.
M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#32 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

Amazing experience. Top credit to the guys who made it

pstripl3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 pstripl3
Member since 2007 • 795 Posts
One of the best games I've ever played. Definitely the best as far as story wise and multiple endings.
Krimson16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Krimson16
Member since 2009 • 32 Posts
1) I didn't buy it 2) I do it for games that I like. 3) I like to know what other people think at least you didn't say I do one for every game I have ever played that was just...... you get the idea
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

My favorite PS3 game. Just absolutely thrilling and intense until the very end. I loved it so much. This was truly an epic gaming experience for me.

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts
It was far from what I expected. It got better towards the end, though. Technical problems (the screen tearing was some of the worst I've seen in a game), awkward and imprecise character movement, as well as some some surprisingly bad voice acting (at times) really brought the game down for me. It was still pretty enjoyable, though.