Thinking about getting a PS3 - I need some help.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Marksman249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Marksman249
Member since 2006 • 963 Posts
Ok, so I have an xbox 360 right now, and I've had it for a little over 3 years now I think. But, for the first time, yesterday, I played the PS3. And let me say that I enjoyed it quite well. So, I have been thinking about selling my Xbox 360 and getting a PS3. But then again, I have only played it once, so I am going to have to play it again. So what do you guys think I should do? Should I sell my Xbox 360 and get a PS3, or stay with the PS3. I like to play online a lot by the way, but I heard the PS network isn't as good as Xbox Live. Could you guys help me out with this decision?
Now I'm sure everyone here is going to say, "Yes, get the PS3."
But, I'm sure if I bring this topic over the the 360 boards, they will say, "No, keep the 360". I hope you guys can help.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Couldn't you just have both? That's always the best option. And the PSN has it's advantages and disadvantages, it's fine.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
My situation was similar. I had a 360 and PS3 and opted to trade my 360 in for a 2nd PS3 for my brother. I prefer PSN over LIVE. Maybe you should try to get your hands on a PS3 again and play several games over a few hours and see what you wanna do from there.
Marksman249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Marksman249
I don't have the money to go out and buy a PS3.
Marksman249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Marksman249
My situation was similar. I had a 360 and PS3 and opted to trade my 360 in for a 2nd PS3 for my brother. I prefer PSN over LIVE. Maybe you should try to get your hands on a PS3 again and play several games over a few hours and see what you wanna do from there.emitsu97
That's probably what I'm going to try to do.
Marksman249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Marksman249
Any other reason why I should switch to PS3 though? This is a very difficult desicion to make.....
Raykuza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Raykuza
Member since 2005 • 1873 Posts
Well, the 360 has a lot of games I wish I could have, and XBL is better than PSN because people pay for it. On the other hand, the 360 is an awful piece of hardware that is guaranteed to break, thus forcing you to deal with customer service which is a frustrating ordeal (I've watched a friend do it, it looked painful). You really have to decide what kind of service is more important to you: the quality of the 360 at a hefty price (your sanity and a monthly payment :P), or the reliability of the PS3 and getting shafted by multi-plat developers and knowing that you're going to have to put down MGS4 sometime.
Xepheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 Xepheon
Member since 2006 • 401 Posts

That's a funny situation you have, experiencing some kind of "love at first play" with the PS3. Which game was it? You say you can't afford to just go buy a PS3 in addition to your 360, so I'm guessing you keep tabs on your cash like I do. So, one advantage, although small, perhaps, is the money you'll save with the free PSN service. You could buy a game with that money. Really, you'd be buying the PS3 for the games and for its functionality. How many exclusives do you have in mind that you'd want for your PS3? Are you a fan of Metal Gear Solid? What about Valkyria Chronicles, Little Big Planet and Resistance 2? Are you looking forward to Killzone 2? There are a lot of great exclusives for the PS3, so just think about which titles you want the most between the systems. I personally would have felt deprived without MGS4 and Valkyria Chronicles, and I just got LBP and I'm blown away. I also had a great time with Folklore and I love Disgaea 3, but don't have enough time to play them all.

Do you like Blu-Ray movies, and do you already have a Blu-Ray player? That's another thing to consider.

The PS3 also comes wireless ready, and you can link it to your PC and stream the music and movies on your PC to your PS3.

The controllers charge quickly while you play and last for a long time between charges. There are no extra accessories to buy to make them wireless. Oh yeah, the PS3 supports bluetooth as well, so if you have a cell phone headset, you can use it for your in-game mic. I have a Plantronics Voyager headset that I've connected to my PS3.

Those are some of the advantages I considered when I was researching the PS3 and 360. MGS4 wasn't even out when I bought mine, and look at me now... surrounded by awesome games and Blu-Ray movies with free online service. I've never used XBOX Live, but I've also never had a problem with PSN. I was playing a user created level on LBP yesterday and the creator knew I was playing within minutes and sent me a message to ask how I liked it. I was able to go to my inbox while in-game, so I thinkthe whole thing functions well. Home is also on the way and has a public beta right now that you can play around with. It's not everyone's pancakes with blueberry syrup, but it's free and you can meet likeminded people and walk around voice chatting.

Hope that helps!

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 emitsu97
Any other reason why I should switch to PS3 though? This is a very difficult desicion to make.....Marksman249
For me, personally: Exclusives.
Marksman249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Marksman249
So, what exactly is Home?
Raykuza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Raykuza
Barely worth mentioning, but it's sort of an online chatroom where you can play minigames with people and such. Unless you really like bowling and pool, you're going to be tuned off quickly by the trolls and such.
Elimin8er_93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Elimin8er_93
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
HOME is where you can make your own Avatar/person and you have a apartment where you can invite your friends and chat. you can also go out to places such as the mall, theatre, and a place to dance =P lol and much more places. i havent been on it much but its OK. PSN is personaly in my opinion better than LIVE i have used LIVE but it didnt feel right to me. They are both great consoles but my opinion i would get the PS3 which i do got =D
Marksman249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Marksman249
I just watched a video on it, and it looked pretty cool. When is is supposed to come out?
Raykuza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Raykuza
The open beta is out right now.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 emitsu97
I just watched a video on it, and it looked pretty cool. When is is supposed to come out?Marksman249
It's out now in the form of open beta. If you bought a PS3 right now you could download the client and be in HOME in less than an hour.
Marine152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Marine152
Member since 2005 • 922 Posts
Mark, ive been playing live since 05 and am now selling my xbox 360 with all my games to a buddy to get a PS3. After my 5th xbox I really got tunred off by microsoft and how the Points systems works for live is horriable. Ive done my reserch and now realilze that I want a PS3, its much more bang for ytour buck when it comes to hardware and even though the 360 has a larger libary for games, the PS3 ones are of muuch better quality then that of 360. I made my decsion and will be getting the money for my 350 sell on JAn 7 so all I can say is do your reserch on the system. I started on playstation back in the day and im going to end on playstation. Sony was always better then MS anways. Do your reserch on the system. Good luck.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 emitsu97
Mark, ive been playing live since 05 and am now selling my xbox 360 with all my games to a buddy to get a PS3. After my 5th xbox I really got tunred off by microsoft and how the Points systems works for live is horriable. Ive done my reserch and now realilze that I want a PS3, its much more bang for ytour buck when it comes to hardware and even though the 360 has a larger libary for games, the PS3 ones are of muuch better quality then that of 360. I made my decsion and will be getting the money for my 350 sell on JAn 7 so all I can say is do your reserch on the system. I started on playstation back in the day and im going to end on playstation. Sony was always better then MS anways. Do your reserch on the system. Good luck.Marine152
How could you say the PS3 is more bang for the buck when you got 5 360's out of your original purchase price...:lol:
Raykuza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Raykuza
[QUOTE="Marine152"]Mark, ive been playing live since 05 and am now selling my xbox 360 with all my games to a buddy to get a PS3. After my 5th xbox I really got tunred off by microsoft and how the Points systems works for live is horriable. Ive done my reserch and now realilze that I want a PS3, its much more bang for ytour buck when it comes to hardware and even though the 360 has a larger libary for games, the PS3 ones are of muuch better quality then that of 360. I made my decsion and will be getting the money for my 350 sell on JAn 7 so all I can say is do your reserch on the system. I started on playstation back in the day and im going to end on playstation. Sony was always better then MS anways. Do your reserch on the system. Good luck.emitsu97
How could you say the PS3 is more bang for the buck when you got 5 360's out of your original purchase price...:lol:

R O F L
abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 abdelmessih101
Member since 2007 • 5230 Posts

In my Official PS3 FAQ Thread, I've pretty much listed every last thing any potential PS3 buyer should know. After reading it, you should have more than enough information to make your decision. :)

Oh, by the way, it's linked in my signature which is just below my post. :)

thekodaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thekodaman
Member since 2006 • 1733 Posts
Pretty solid advice in this thread, I'd take some of this in TC.
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

lol, Just let it soak in....

Anyway, TC, to sum everything up:

+Blu Ray - While it may not exactly be embraced by the public, will be as time goes on and people experience HD.
+Exclusives - Uncharted, MGS4, Resistance 2, LittleBIGPlanet, Killzone 2, God of War III, Ratchet & Clank
+PSN - While it may not have the same experience as XBL in the online scene, think of it as the first Xbox's Live service: It isn't perfect, but it's pretty damn good for something that doesn't have the kind of foundation XBL does. (Less kids, too)

Marksman249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Marksman249
[QUOTE="abdelmessih101"]

In my Official PS3 FAQ Thread, I've pretty much listed every last thing any potential PS3 buyer should know. After reading it, you should have more than enough information to make your decision. :)

Oh, by the way, it's linked in my signature which is just below my post. :)

Thanks for this.
AJC3317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23 AJC3317
Member since 2003 • 2546 Posts
if ur really only going to have 1 then it comes down to exclusive games. u should research the games exclusive to each system and decide which are more appealing to u
assassin517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 assassin517
Member since 2005 • 63 Posts
Marksman249 if you don't have the money to go out and buy a PS3, then don't get one. I too have a PS3 and xbox 360. I am lucky enough to have found a 60gb PS3 and I use it mostly for PS2 games ( i never had a PS2). Granted it is a nice console, but there isn't much for it. Is it worth trading in your 360? The answer is no. The future is not looking too bright for PS3. To be honest, if KIllzone 2 turns out to be a dud, then sony will be in alot of trouble. Save yourself the troubles. Most of the games are multi plat anyways. Never buy a console for one game. Hope this helps
Marksman249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Marksman249
Marksman249 if you don't have the money to go out and buy a PS3, then don't get one. I too have a PS3 and xbox 360. I am lucky enough to have found a 60gb PS3 and I use it mostly for PS2 games ( i never had a PS2). Granted it is a nice console, but there isn't much for it. Is it worth trading in your 360? The answer is no. The future is not looking too bright for PS3. To be honest, if KIllzone 2 turns out to be a dud, then sony will be in alot of trouble. Save yourself the troubles. Most of the games are multi plat anyways. Never buy a console for one game. Hope this helpsassassin517
This really did help. Thanks a bunch.
GatCloudX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GatCloudX
Member since 2008 • 1459 Posts
to me the psn and live arent much different
Avatar image for DarthVillainous
DarthVillainous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#27 DarthVillainous
Member since 2008 • 297 Posts

I have both, and basically it comes down to a few things.

1) Whether you care about blu ray or not. If you want a blu ray player, then this is obviously a big advantage for the PS3. However, this issue is partially mitigated by the fact blu ray player prices are dropping (I've seen them as low as $200 recently), yet the PS3 remains starting at $400.

2) How much you care about online gaming. Put bluntly, Live is better than PSN. The one advantage PSN has is that it's free, for the moment. But, unfortunately, in many ways you get what you pay for. And of course if you don't care about playing online, the whole issue is moot.

3) Easily the biggest issue, which exclusives you prefer. The last two years the 360 has had the clear advantage in this category; from the looks of things, this upcoming year it might shift to Sony. Of course, as we've all seen, a lot of third-party exclusives have gone multiplatform, on both sides (Final Fantasy 13, GTA 4, BioShock, Eternal Sonata, etc.). So basically the only exclusives that can really be relied upon to stay exclusive are either a) First-party ones (Halo, God of War, Heavenly Sword, Fable, etc.) or b) Third-party ones that are funded directly by MS/Sony or done in partnership with them (here is where MS has had a huge advantage so far: Gears 1 & 2, Mass Effect, etc., compared to well, nothing much that's any good for Sony).

Here's a list of all the really good exclusives for both consoles that I'm aware of:

PS3- MGS4 (by no means guaranteed to stay that way, as it's not funded by Sony - or at least, isn't as far as I'm aware), Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, Resistance 1 & 2, LittleBigPlanet, Valkyria Chrnoicles. Sort of Ninja Gaiden Sigma (I say sort of because it's a port of an XBox game).

360 - Gears 1 & 2, Halo 3, Mass Effect, Fable 2, Dead Rising (another 3rd-party game that might not stay exclusive - in fact, I think there's a Wii edition coming, if I'm not mistaken), Crackdown, Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, Ninja Gaiden 2. Sort of Tomb Raider Legend and Call of Duty 2 (I say sort of for the last 2 cause they're on last-gen consoles, too).

Coming this year (or at least, coming at some point down the road):

360 - GTA 4 expansion (DLC), Fable 2 DLC, Halo Wars, Halo 3 expansion, Star Ocean 4 (exclusive at the moment; may change), Splinter Cell 5, Kingdom Under Fire 2, Alan Wake (if this ever gets released - and who knows, the rate it's going, it'll probably be crap like Too Human), Tomb Raider Underworld DLC. (MS is banking heavily on DLC this year, for whatever reason)

PS3 - God of War 3, Uncharted 2, Killzone 2, Final Fantasy Vs. 13 (exclusive at the moment; may change), White Knight Chronicles

? - Mass Effect 2 (1 was MS exclusive, but since EA bought BioWare, who knows what'll happen with this). These are all the ones I'm aware of; there are probably more on both sides, but you get the idea. It's simply a question of what games (or type of games) you prefer.

The other thing to keep in mind is how games that are on both systems perform. In many cases, they run or look better on the 360. Not always (e.g., Oblivion, Eternal Sonata), but often (e.g. Orange Box, almost any EA game). I'm not a computer techie by any means, but it's my understanding that the PS3 is harder to program for for whatever reason. Maybe developers use this as an excuse for lazy ports (here's looking at you, Orange Box) but regardless, the fact remains that in many cases there is a discrepancy in quality between multiplatform games.

On another note, if you care about backwards compatibility, then you should know that a) newer PS3s are not BC with PS2 at all, only PS1. Of course, if you can find an older PS3, then that problem is solved. Sony removed the BC to make people buy more PS3 games, as well as save $ on each console manufactured. 360, on the other hand, is BC with about half of the XBox's library, but it runs most of the XBox's better titles (Prince of Persia 2 & 3, and MGS 2 are about the only AAA titles I can think of that aren't BC). The quality of the BC varies; stuff like Halo or Jade Empire run perfectly; other things, like KotOR 1 & 2 are barely playable.

Finally, yes the 360 has a high failure rate (at least, the older models. Though if MS is to be believed - which of course they probably aren't - then they've finally solved the RROD problem with the new "jasper" models). However, the process of getting your repair/replacement console isn't nearly the horror story that many people make it out to be. I had mine replaced recently, and the whole thing took about two and a half weeks, and about an hour to re-register all my DLC on the new console. Not exactly the most difficult thing I'll ever go through.

So that, in a nutshell, is everything you need to consider. Personally, I use my 360 more than my PS3 to play games, as I prefer the 360's exclusives (though Sony has some very good ones, too). But if blu ray is your first priority, well, then obviously the PS3 is the way to go, if you've got the dough for it.

If you are gonna get a PS3, you may wanna wait, as Sony is rumored to be dropping the price around March or so (of course, they're denying it with all the usual "we have no plans blah blah blah" BS). But, quite simply, if they don't wanna get too far in the hole to MS, they're gonna have to drop the price at some point.

Marksman249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Marksman249
5 star post right here ^^^ thanks
Marine152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Marine152
Member since 2005 • 922 Posts

BTW mark when I said more bang for your buck I meant that you get some nice hardware advantages with the PS3 compared to the xbox 360.(more utility for you money) And im on my 5th 360 because all my others screwed up. From PROD, to PSU failuare, to burnt-out disk drive, and the list goes on. Theres only so much I can take espeically when you pass the warrenty and have to pay to get it fix(100 bucks), which led me to buy the 360 arcade which im selling with my old harddrive and games for a PS3. And im just disspleased with how much money I spent on LIVE since 05 and all the DLC that Ive purched on the xbox 360 with M$ points which really charged you more then the product was. But maby you shouldnt even mind me, im jst another unlucky pissed off consumer so I may sound bias to 360. The fact is 360 is a great system(when its working fine) it does have a bigger libary andf its the place where you want to be for M-rated games. but I just like sonys exclusives much better then 360(excpet for halo, that games is truly amazing) Bottom line is its up to you man. m$ is to money driven for me to stay with them any longer.

Forgive my spelling!