The Official SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy Seals Thread (Beta up for PS+ users)

• 149 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tetrarch9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 Tetrarch9
Member since 2010 • 2581 Posts

[QUOTE="Tetrarch9"]Lol. Somebody voted I'd rather play Call of duty.ExoticAnimal

*Looks at you* :|

Me? Never.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#102 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts

[QUOTE="ExoticAnimal"]

[QUOTE="Tetrarch9"]Lol. Somebody voted I'd rather play Call of duty.Tetrarch9

*Looks at you* :|

Me? Never.

Yeah... U lol
Adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#103 Adziboy
Member since 2007 • 10187 Posts
I'm a veteran of SOCOM so day one purchase
Tetrarch9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Tetrarch9
Invite only beta starts tommorow. Anybody get in?
good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#105 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I might get the special edition just for the move controllers and sharpshooter. That would be nice

wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#106 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
The Beta will decide weather or no I pick this up.
Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
I really want to get in the beta, also, i havent seen the price for the socom hero edition here where i live
gamerfan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 gamerfan85
Member since 2009 • 652 Posts

Has anybody played the beta? I know it was only released today to a select few, but I want to know how it plays with the sharpshooter.

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#109 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts

Has anybody played the beta? I know it was only released today to a select few, but I want to know how it plays with the sharpshooter.

gamerfan85
I got into the private beta and have a Sharpshooter so I'll definitely be testing it out. Probably won't get to it until Thursday though due to having a midterm exam tomorrow. I'll try to remember to come back here to give my impressions.
JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts
i tried it with the sharpshooter, and man was it smooth and precise, felt natural. the game looks awesome by the way, no lag so far no frame rate issues, at least so far from what im been playing. and overall, they did a good job and im happy, cant wait for it to be released
KurupSoldr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#111 KurupSoldr
Member since 2006 • 4094 Posts
i tried it with the sharpshooter, and man was it smooth and precise, felt natural. the game looks awesome by the way, no lag so far no frame rate issues, at least so far from what im been playing. and overall, they did a good job and im happy, cant wait for it to be releasedJoKeR_421
I would not get too excited yet i got a private beta invite too so DL now and play later, but no lag becuase not as many people as it will be later on. But hopefully there servers are set up which i think they will be better. cant wait to test it out
JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 JoKeR_421
[QUOTE="JoKeR_421"]i tried it with the sharpshooter, and man was it smooth and precise, felt natural. the game looks awesome by the way, no lag so far no frame rate issues, at least so far from what im been playing. and overall, they did a good job and im happy, cant wait for it to be releasedKurupSoldr
I would not get too excited yet i got a private beta invite too so DL now and play later, but no lag becuase not as many people as it will be later on. But hopefully there servers are set up which i think they will be better. cant wait to test it out

what u mean dont be excited? i been playing non stop all day yesterday i got the private code last week, and i been in rooms with 32 players. im talkin from experience not from my a$$
ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 ExoticAnimal
Member since 2010 • 39796 Posts

i tried it with the sharpshooter, and man was it smooth and precise, felt natural. the game looks awesome by the way, no lag so far no frame rate issues, at least so far from what im been playing. and overall, they did a good job and im happy, cant wait for it to be releasedJoKeR_421

That's good to hear. I'm totally getting the full deployment bundle.

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 JoKeR_421

[QUOTE="JoKeR_421"]i tried it with the sharpshooter, and man was it smooth and precise, felt natural. the game looks awesome by the way, no lag so far no frame rate issues, at least so far from what im been playing. and overall, they did a good job and im happy, cant wait for it to be releasedExoticAnimal

i would too, but i already own a move and sharp shooter so its pointless for me to get the bundle
ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 ExoticAnimal

[QUOTE="ExoticAnimal"]

[QUOTE="JoKeR_421"]i tried it with the sharpshooter, and man was it smooth and precise, felt natural. the game looks awesome by the way, no lag so far no frame rate issues, at least so far from what im been playing. and overall, they did a good job and im happy, cant wait for it to be releasedJoKeR_421

i would too, but i already own a move and sharp shooter so its pointless for me to get the bundle

Good for you sunny boy. :P The only reason I wanted a Move was for games like Socom and KZ and been hearing great things about them. Ugh, only two more weeks before I can get in the beta. :(

gamerfan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 gamerfan85
Member since 2009 • 652 Posts

[QUOTE="JoKeR_421"][QUOTE="ExoticAnimal"]

ExoticAnimal

Good for you sunny boy. :P The only reason I wanted a Move was for games like Socom and KZ and been hearing great things about them. Ugh, only two more weeks before I can get in the beta. :(

Yeah, the Sharpshooter is SILLY AWESOME for KZ3.
1bigsmoke55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 1bigsmoke55
Member since 2007 • 6856 Posts
Got in
JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 JoKeR_421

ExoticAnimal

dont worry, i might be able to get u a code ;)....give me till sunday, since im going to meet him then. ill see if i can get u one, still havent forgotten about u homie lol :P
ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 ExoticAnimal

Got in1bigsmoke55

Thanks for telling us about how you are liking it so far. ;)

ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 ExoticAnimal

[QUOTE="ExoticAnimal"]

[QUOTE="JoKeR_421"] i would too, but i already own a move and sharp shooter so its pointless for me to get the bundleJoKeR_421

dont worry, i might be able to get u a code ;)....give me till sunday, since im going to meet him then. ill see if i can get u one, still havent forgotten about u homie lol :P

That would be awesome. I'm on spring break next week so I'll be at home doing nothing but playing video games all day. :P

KurupSoldr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 KurupSoldr

So my thoughts so far on the beta for those that cannot see it yet:

Character movement is kind of slow but i attribute this to the fact i have been playing MAG and BFBC2 which are both FPS which can cloud this portion.

Its very MAG like with xp, and other display areas. But it does have a few funny things i noticed, when someone killed me and then i respawned and killed them it said "remember me" on the screen and i got triple the XP. So I am sure more things like that to come in the future.

Obvioulsy not sure about pistols yet, but you can pretty much carry any two weapons you want i had a sniper and assault, assault and shotty, smg AR so its just up to you.

Knifing is just like MAG so if you know that its left hand knife swipe when you hit the button

Supression is the only game mode though, i thought it would have bomb squad but have not noticed where to get that game mode yet does not look available to me.

Campers but thats not new to socom so should not really be dwelled on.

Its fun but if you are used to FPS right now it will take a bit to get used, the MAP was lush and seemed like many ways to get to where you wanted in the MAP. The side MAP is completely from MAG blue dots, red dots etc.

More to come later as i still look into playing, its socom in a new light its still fun and classic mode is exactly what you would expect with all the changes.

Avatar image for RurouniSaiyajin
RurouniSaiyajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 RurouniSaiyajin
Member since 2007 • 4951 Posts

Thanks for the impressions Kurup. Also FYI, the Socom beta is going to work similar to MAG's beta from what I hear. They'll let you play different modes on different days and time frames

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 The_Rick_14

Added mine in blue.

So my thoughts so far on the beta for those that cannot see it yet:

Character movement is kind of slow but i attribute this to the fact i have been playing MAG and BFBC2 which are both FPS which can cloud this portion.

I've noticed this too. It's been better after I bumped up my sensitivity, but I attribute it to being used to BO which not only is FPS, but is a very fast FPS.

Its very MAG like with xp, and other display areas. But it does have a few funny things i noticed, when someone killed me and then i respawned and killed them it said "remember me" on the screen and i got triple the XP. So I am sure more things like that to come in the future.

Yea there seem to be a whole bunch of things you can earn XP for. "Weakest Link" is for getting killed first, "Boo" is for a kill from the grave, and you even get 30XP for doing a victory dance (go over a dead enemy body and press circle).

Obvioulsy not sure about pistols yet, but you can pretty much carry any two weapons you want i had a sniper and assault, assault and shotty, smg AR so its just up to you.

The developers made the decision to go with no pistols. I don't mind it although it did lead to needing to pick up enemy guns if you were alive for a while in past socoms.

Knifing is just like MAG so if you know that its left hand knife swipe when you hit the button

Supression is the only game mode though, i thought it would have bomb squad but have not noticed where to get that game mode yet does not look available to me.

They posted a schedule at SOCOM.com. I've posted it below.

Campers but thats not new to socom so should not really be dwelled on.

All shooters will have campers. When defending a position or out-numbered, I consider it a useful tactic. Past SOCOMs had "gun-hot" to deal with this where when you were near an enemy your character would raise his gun to the firing position. The absence of this will make camping a more viable tactic.

Its fun but if you are used to FPS right now it will take a bit to get used, the MAP was lush and seemed like many ways to get to where you wanted in the MAP. The side MAP is completely from MAG blue dots, red dots etc.

I've been a fan of how the maps stretch both high and wide. There are many paths to take and lots of elevation changes.

More to come later as i still look into playing, its socom in a new light its still fun and ****c mode is exactly what you would expect with all the changes.

My biggest issue so far has been no grenade arc. I've thrown grenades into walls in front of me even though my crosshairs were pointed well below the wall. That and the hit detection is alright, but it could be better.

KurupSoldr

Schedule

Tuesday (3/15)-- Suppression and c1assic Suppression
Wednesday (3/16)-- Suppression and c1assic Suppression
Thursday (3/17)-- Uplink and c1assic Uplink
Friday ( 3/18 )-- Last Defense and c1assic Last Defense
Saturday (3/19)-- Bomb Squad and c1assicc Bomb Squad
Sunday (3/20)-- Sniper Alley and Last Defense Run 'n Gun
Monday (3/21)-- Scrum and Community Day c1assic

The custom game types that we'll be playing are:

*Sniper Alley
: An 8 vs. 8 version of c1assic Suppression with higher damage. Weapons are limited to sniper rifles, shotguns, smoke grenades and poison gas.
*Last Defense Run 'n Gun: Faster movement speed and reduced damage are applied to 16 vs. 16 Last Defense with weapons restricted to only shotguns and SMGs.
*Scrum: Suppression is given rule tweaks of no respawn, faster movement and higher damage, while sniper rifles, frag grenades, concussion grenades and poison gas are disallowed.
*Community Day c1assic: A medley featuring c1assic versions of all four game types (Suppression, Last Defense, Uplink and Bomb Squad) with increased speed and weapon restrictions placed on ranged explosives. Each game type is played over 11 five-minute rounds.

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 JoKeR_421

ExoticAnimal

That would be awesome. I'm on spring break next week so I'll be at home doing nothing but playing video games all day. :P

2weeks before mine start, u lucky b@st@rd
Tetrarch9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Tetrarch9

[QUOTE="ExoticAnimal"]

[QUOTE="JoKeR_421"] dont worry, i might be able to get u a code ;)....give me till sunday, since im going to meet him then. ill see if i can get u one, still havent forgotten about u homie lol :PJoKeR_421

I get mine next week. You, YC, and exotic need plus.

ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 ExoticAnimal

Tetrarch9

Don't want to pay for something that I don't need. ;)

Tetrarch9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Tetrarch9

[QUOTE="Tetrarch9"]

[QUOTE="JoKeR_421"] 2weeks before mine start, u lucky b@st@rdExoticAnimal

Don't want to pay for something that I don't need. ;)

Yes you do. How can you live without that fancy D-pad next to your name?

Adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Adziboy
Me and my SOCOM clan are pretty upset with the beta at the moment when compared to other games in the series. It's fun but not... SOCOM.
The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 The_Rick_14
Me and my SOCOM clan are pretty upset with the beta at the moment when compared to other games in the series. It's fun but not... SOCOM.Adziboy
What changes are your clan looking for? Accurate "hip" fire, guns hot, game modes (Demo, Breach, Extract)? Did I miss any?
Adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Adziboy
[QUOTE="Adziboy"]Me and my SOCOM clan are pretty upset with the beta at the moment when compared to other games in the series. It's fun but not... SOCOM.The_Rick_14
What changes are your clan looking for? Accurate "hip" fire, guns hot, game modes (Demo, Breach, Extract)? Did I miss any?

I haven't played it myself, but the rest of my clan have. I think every SOCOM fan just wants SOCOM 2 but re-imagined, but Zipper are trying to revolutionise the series but have failed, and instead just created a third person shooter clone. I will wait until I play the game before making any personal judgements though. I have no way of playing the beta, though, since I didn't buy KZ2, didn't get selected and don't have PS+. Annoying, since I've bought every SOCOM game 1st day but they don't reward loyal customers, do they?
KurupSoldr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 KurupSoldr
[QUOTE="KurupSoldr"][QUOTE="JoKeR_421"]i tried it with the sharpshooter, and man was it smooth and precise, felt natural. the game looks awesome by the way, no lag so far no frame rate issues, at least so far from what im been playing. and overall, they did a good job and im happy, cant wait for it to be releasedJoKeR_421

what u mean dont be excited? i been playing non stop all day yesterday i got the private code last week, and i been in rooms with 32 players. im talkin from experience not from my a$$

ITs a beta only a handful of people will be playing this thing and as it opens up to everyone on the 5th of April then i want to see how the servers handle then. Still i am kind of torn on this game now. Played a good amount yesterday and it just feels so slow and already CAMPING LIKE A MOFO in this game. you have to stand up to access those satellites just makes you sniper bait all day can be a pain. I am not sold really it looks good, a lot of things i like but more i dont like at the moment as i play more it does not really support teamwork like it used to IMO. Respawn is probably screwing that up but my guy just feels like he is in slow motion sometimes
The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 The_Rick_14
you have to stand up to access those satellites just makes you sniper bait all day can be a painKurupSoldr
Personally I love how long it takes to capture a point and don't mind that you're standing up. It requires teamwork and tactics to get the job done. What I've been doing is making sure I have smoke and toss 2 on the objective before I start. Then a sniper will have to try to guess where I am which involves giving away his position to teammates of mine.
The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 The_Rick_14
[QUOTE="The_Rick_14"][QUOTE="Adziboy"]Me and my SOCOM clan are pretty upset with the beta at the moment when compared to other games in the series. It's fun but not... SOCOM.Adziboy

I haven't played it myself, but the rest of my clan have. I think every SOCOM fan just wants SOCOM 2 but re-imagined, but Zipper are trying to revolutionise the series but have failed, and instead just created a third person shooter clone. I will wait until I play the game before making any personal judgements though. I have no way of playing the beta, though, since I didn't buy KZ2, didn't get selected and don't have PS+. Annoying, since I've bought every SOCOM game 1st day but they don't reward loyal customers, do they?

Well I can see how it would be difficult to try to track down the people who played every socom and still use the same email addresses and have ps3s, but I get what you're saying. Sure the respawn can be considered a clone, but Classic feels like Socom to me still. I still get that on edge feeling every time I turn my back to take an objective or turn a corner. My main feedback to them so far is that the game modes in Classic need to be adjusted and I wouldn't mind if they added things like Demo and Breach in. Also I sent you a PM. Check your inbox.
JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 JoKeR_421

Tetrarch9

i do have plus, lol i been having since it was released.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Rick_14"][QUOTE="Adziboy"]Me and my SOCOM clan are pretty upset with the beta at the moment when compared to other games in the series. It's fun but not... SOCOM.Adziboy

I'm pretty sure they have no way to track who bought games from the ps2 era... They did reward loyal fans tho, most people on the Zipper boards with a decent amount of posts got into the beta.
Tetrarch9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Tetrarch9

[QUOTE="Tetrarch9"]

[QUOTE="JoKeR_421"] 2weeks before mine start, u lucky b@st@rdJoKeR_421

i do have plus, lol i been having since it was released.

Thats right, *Facepalm* You meant spring break. I thought you meant when the beta starts.

Adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Adziboy
[QUOTE="Adziboy"][QUOTE="The_Rick_14"]What changes are your clan looking for? Accurate "hip" fire, guns hot, game modes (Demo, Breach, Extract)? Did I miss any?MethodManFTW

I'm pretty sure they have no way to track who bought games from the ps2 era... They did reward loyal fans tho, most people on the Zipper boards with a decent amount of posts got into the beta.

I don't mean I should've got one from the handouts, but I use the same e-mail address as the other SOCOMs, same Gamertag, signed up to their forums... surely theres some way I could prove to them I bought them? But I don't need it now :) (I dont think)
killerband55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 killerband55
Member since 2003 • 107961 Posts

wait, so ppl who have PS Plus get it earlier than ppl who bought KZ3 and got the beta code, how do u figure that?

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 The_Rick_14

wait, so ppl who have PS Plus get it earlier than ppl who bought KZ3 and got the beta code, how do u figure that?

killerband55
Well you see they made an announcement on Socom.com with the schedule for who gets into the beta when and Sony decided PS Plus users should be in 2 weeks before its public and killzone 3 people should be in 1 week before. Everyone still gets "early" access compared to not having a code.
killerband55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 killerband55
Member since 2003 • 107961 Posts

[QUOTE="killerband55"]

The_Rick_14

Well you see they made an announcement on Socom.com with the schedule for who gets into the beta when and Sony decided PS Plus users should be in 2 weeks before its public and killzone 3 people should be in 1 week before. Everyone still gets "early" access compared to not having a code.

well good thing i have PS+ then

KurupSoldr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 KurupSoldr
[QUOTE="killerband55"]

[QUOTE="The_Rick_14"][QUOTE="killerband55"]

well good thing i have PS+ then

yah it will be exciting when you get in next week and are playing against level 50 players by then, with all upgrades for their weapons.
CJ45_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 CJ45_
Member since 2011 • 134 Posts
No server lists, awkward unprotected left view, crosshairs trashed, no nade arch, mag maps, casual ass set up menu, no reg. lean, casual ass cover system, no character customization? P2T on dpad the hell? The force to preorder for a classic map, that will be absent to people who DON'T buy from Gamestop? Invite system could be better, - SOMAG is SOMAG. Guns are basically all the same for the most part - no different in sound tech. Uplink CLASSIC isn't bad, still can't bypass the other issues. Bomb Squad is a joke - no, the joke is, where is Demolition Zipper? Respawn in Socom is dreadful, I don't know how anyone can play it. Challenging game in all? I disagree.
DuaIFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 DuaIFace
Member since 2009 • 581 Posts

Minus the major complaints that I have (and I won't actually be playin til the beta goes public or my re-Tweeting gets me a "giveaway" code from Zipper, sooner), which would be:

-no grenade arch

-no leaning?

-PTT in the wrong location (and no tactical button customization in general)

...from all the videos I've seen, I'm really liking what I'm seeing. And it's actually caused me to be majorly interested in SOCOM again, when at last that was---was SII!!

ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 ExoticAnimal

So have people who've been in the beta been turned away from buying it? I've been hearing mixed reactions from friends and other people so just wanted to hear from you guys.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#145 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts

So have people who've been in the beta been turned away from buying it? I've been hearing mixed reactions from friends and other people so just wanted to hear from you guys.

ExoticAnimal
Same here... I've heard a ton of mixed reactions.
Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#146 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
Is the game still very focused on no respawns like in SOCOM Confrontation?
Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts

My Complaints:

No Nad Arch, Camera is too close, Two Primary weapons (who does that), Sound sucks, Nads are weak, I miss the old game mode.

The game is still fun if you have a clan.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#148 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

ExoticAnimal

I was going to buy it on Day One (I have it pre-ordered), but after trying the beta I must say I may never buy it. The 3D was solid, but the gameplay was just not for me. I enjoyed the other SOCOM games, but the main draw for me was always issuing verbal commands to my squad. I was looking forward to playing another game with my new Sharpshooter, but I have to say that the controls were really unusual and awkward compared to the smooth intuitive controls of Killzone 3. So looks like I won't get another Sharpshooter game till Resistance 3 comes out. I sure hope 3 is better than 2, because 2 was terrible.

Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts

Due to the fact I am a huge Socom fan. I will most likely still get it. It should grow on me like confrontation.