The Future of The Sony PSP

This topic is locked from further discussion.

American-Eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 American-Eagle
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I have a Sony PSP. As do many people. However, do you ever feel like you were charged to much or have that feeling of getting tired of it? Well, I do. I mean the games are decent and the video thing and music is all very nice, but the PSP is becoming one of those items that is going to be collecting dust in a short time. If Sony doesn't come up with some better games or better graphics or something nice, the PSP may just be another dust collector. What do you think of the future of the Sony PSP?
payforaday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 payforaday
Member since 2006 • 865 Posts
Im having a good time now with Tekken, Medal of Honor (online, obviously) and Socom (started playing it again, loads of fun online). And The Warriors and Ratchet&Clank are coming out in a few days and I'll be getting both. So I think the PSP is doing great.
zeorshadow19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 zeorshadow19
Member since 2007 • 1471 Posts
I'm happy with it. Sony doesn't have anything to worry about in my opinion.
DevinB9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 DevinB9
Member since 2007 • 498 Posts
I don't see my psp collecting dust anytime soon with all the games coming out, games I have and games that I still need to get.

*sighs* I wish I was rich.:cry: Damn you psp games, damn you to hell.
jigga1142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jigga1142
Member since 2004 • 223 Posts
i believe this may be the last year of the PSP because it certainly doesn't look as if its making any solid gains on the DS at this point. From what I'm hearing, they've already stopped making the UMD format movies.
redman100111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 redman100111
Member since 2006 • 533 Posts

Yes they need better games to come out.

Its called "PSP" "Play Station Portable"

When there are really no PlayStation Games on it.

"Play Station Portable" Is ment to be a portable "PS1" But I do not see any PS1 Games for it.

Only games that suck.

ignoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#8 ignoman
Member since 2003 • 992 Posts
Eh... I'm sure it will go by the wayside at some point.  It's cool, but its also kind of goofy and wierd (UMDs?  Widescreen hi-res display?  Clacky buttons and poopy dpad, stick? wtf?)

But hey, as long as DnD Tactics and Final Fantasy Tactics get released at some point, I really couldn't care less what happens after that.

SSJ2_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SSJ2_Cloud
Member since 2006 • 489 Posts
What are you guys talking about, lol. Where have you been the last few months? The PSP is being flooded with good games. 2006 was a good year for it. 2007 looks to be even better. @redman, PS3 owners can get ps1 games on it, and there are plenty of games that don't suck, maybe you should look at the games available before you speak of topics you do not know about
palaric8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 palaric8
Member since 2006 • 2246 Posts
the only thing I hate relating the psp is VCS, I pay 50$ for it~~~~~~~~~````
B-bad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#11 B-bad
Member since 2002 • 5705 Posts
why are there so many of these types of boards the psp is doing fine, sure the overall number are not the same as the DS but for this to be Sony's first hand-held to be selling in the millions it's a success. Also if they can get third parties and keep pushing out games like they have in 2006, 2007 will be another good year for the hand-held. Guys please stop comparing the PSP to the DS it's silly and really pointless but systems have their ups and down and both have a great selection of games. If you dont like what the psp has to offer then dont get it. Do some research before buying a system if the games dont interest you then dont buy it. The PSP isn't going anywhere and if more hot games like Syphon Filter, Daxter, Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania (coming fall 2007), Mega Man, Ace Combat, Burnout keep coming out on the Psp i'll keep play and enjoyimg it :D
bjwilly69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bjwilly69
Member since 2005 • 140 Posts
It depends on the time-scale we're talking about.

Next 1 - 2 years: PSP has loads of good games in the works for it.

over 2 years: The release of newer handhelds will prevent the PSP from going too much further, and hopefully we'll be enjoying or looking forward to the PSP2.

My opinion: PSP still rules for versatility alone, and will get plenty of attention for at least the next year or so.

kyle_toker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kyle_toker
Member since 2004 • 4950 Posts
i havent played mine in ages... i just play my 360
SSJ2_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SSJ2_Cloud
Member since 2006 • 489 Posts
It depends on the time-scale we're talking about.

Next 1 - 2 years: PSP has loads of good games in the works for it.

over 2 years: The release of newer handhelds will prevent the PSP from going too much further, and hopefully we'll be enjoying or looking forward to the PSP2.

My opinion: PSP still rules for versatility alone, and will get plenty of attention for at least the next year or so.

bjwilly69
If the PSP dies in 2 years, that will be the time I will make mine into all powerful multi-platform handheld of doom...if you know what I mean. I'm too afraid right now, too many good games coming out (and ones I already have that I havent beaten)
TimoTheThug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 TimoTheThug
Member since 2006 • 331 Posts
well i did play a lot on my psp but they stole it a long with 8 games. Since i don't have a big budget i only own 1 game right now and i've allready cleared it. But the psp is allwayz changing and there are some big updates going 2 come plus downloading stuff via the ps3 is great so if you are interested in these kind of features your psp will never ecer collect anymore dust
Ninja_Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ninja_Hawk
Member since 2006 • 284 Posts

The PSP's fine, there's this perception that just because the DS is doing so well, the PSP isn't, that's not true.  Castlevania X, Devil May Cry PSP, Silent Hill Origins, Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy Crisis Core, Elder Scrolls Oblivion Travels, and plenty more games are coming this year and beyond, the PSP's doing fine, there's no need to worry.

nevereathim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nevereathim
Member since 2006 • 2161 Posts
the only thing I hate relating the psp is VCS, I pay 50$ for it~~~~~~~~~````palaric8
They lowered the price to 30 dollars where have you been?
American-Eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 American-Eagle
If you buy a PlayStation 3 they have a store where you can buy a bunch of great PlayStation games for about $5.99.
dangerflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dangerflash
Member since 2004 • 1889 Posts
i believe this may be the last year of the PSP because it certainly doesn't look as if its making any solid gains on the DS at this point. From what I'm hearing, they've already stopped making the UMD format movies.jigga1142
no i have seen them on tv commercials recently. it is just a bunch oppted out cause of sales. personally i would buy some if there were other means of watching them and if they didn't cost so much.
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
i believe this may be the last year of the PSP because it certainly doesn't look as if its making any solid gains on the DS at this point. From what I'm hearing, they've already stopped making the UMD format movies.jigga1142
Why do you feel that they have to sell more than the DS in order to be successful or viable? The Xbox never came close to catching up with the PS2, but it was considered successful overall...
Schlemer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Schlemer
Member since 2002 • 76 Posts
I have a Sony PSP. As do many people. However, do you ever feel like you were charged to much or have that feeling of getting tired of it? Well, I do. I mean the games are decent and the video thing and music is all very nice, but the PSP is becoming one of those items that is going to be collecting dust in a short time. If Sony doesn't come up with some better games or better graphics or something nice, the PSP may just be another dust collector. What do you think of the future of the Sony PSP?American-Eagle
Hmm, growing tired of the PSP. Well, it happens with all things. I like how quick we are to condemn something because it lost it's "newness". Let me bring up something that wasn't too long ago. When I first learned how to use a computer all that was around were the C64, Amiga, Atari 400 & 800, Radioshack TSR80s, Apple & Macs and the original PCs. For the time, they were the greatest things since sliced bread. Here's the thing, for all that they could do, web surfing was not even close to being mainstream. Things like windows, iphoto, mpegs, streaming video, ichat, gaming online were something out of science fiction. My point, your complaining about a device that has more power and functionality than some huge beige box that sat on my desk merely 12 years ago, and your board. Here is my observation. I love Nintendo and what they represent. As a teenager the NES was the bomb. As I got older Sony got me reintroduced into gaming (gotta love the Tekken) after a brief hiatus (yes, I completely missed the SNES era). My appreciation for gaming grew with the N64,DC,PS2,GC and Xbox. All at one point, never got turned off and all at another, don't get turned on much. Yet all are still hooked up to my TV. Why, because like an old song you hear on the radio (or just can't get out of your head), Your memory will want to relive a great moment in time. For my son, I picked up a DS. Wonderful and intuitive little device. I gave it a try and really enjoyed games like Mario Kart, Metroid pinball, and New Super Mario bros. I shied away from the PSP because of all the negativity it received. Then one day I took a chance. All I can say is now the DS collects dust unless my kids play with it (not saying it's just for kids) and my PSP gets constantly recharged from all the use I put into it. From games - music - umd movies - web surfing - and photos. I really love this thing and want another. As for paying too much, I say, for a device priced around the same as an ipod, but does more, nope. Bottom line, If you really like you system, never give it up. If you really don't like it and want something else that is more up you alley, then go for it. Truthfully, I've only regretted getting rid of two systems. My Turbo grafix 16 and my original Sega Genisis.
fvjonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 fvjonj
Member since 2003 • 661 Posts

[QUOTE="jigga1142"]i believe this may be the last year of the PSP because it certainly doesn't look as if its making any solid gains on the DS at this point. From what I'm hearing, they've already stopped making the UMD format movies.dangerflash
no i have seen them on tv commercials recently. it is just a bunch oppted out cause of sales. personally i would buy some if there were other means of watching them and if they didn't cost so much.

UMD movie sales may not be tanking everywhere. I remember reading an article about 3 months ago stating that UMD movie sales have increased in some parts of the world...

"The PSP’s widescreen offers superior video to the iPod and Sony has sold more UMD movies than Apple has digital movie downloads. True, UMD movies were on the way out after a promising start, but price drops in Japan have led to a huge ten-fold jump in sales, resurrecting the format in Asia. Lower prices would probably do the same in the US, potentially giving Sony a portable movie distribution model to challenge iTunes."

http://pgrevolution.com/2006/10/17/psp-challenging-ipod-for-pmp-market/

bjwilly69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bjwilly69
Member since 2005 • 140 Posts
One big point to make is that the PSP IS the ultimate abandonware / revival gaming system. I will continue to play classics like the mario series handheld for years to come as it's so damn easy. The PSP has some great gaming moments in its past, and I'm sure it has many great gaming moments for many people in the future. I guess one of the greatest things about the PSP is that it's so many different things to so many different people, and its strength is in its versatility.  
coledition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 coledition
Member since 2004 • 1028 Posts
I think the psp will be at it's best in the future.. Probably more recognition, more good games will be coming out, the updates, and the PS3 would be there to support it with anything else. So, I pretty much think it will be successful in the coming years..
Avatar image for Darkdragonkills
Darkdragonkills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Darkdragonkills
well i am not sure about the future.....all i know is that i ALWAYS play my psp...cause my PS2 blew up and i have NO GOOD GAMES for my GBA advanced....so thats all i ever play is my psp.
Hitman_KyeZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hitman_KyeZ
Member since 2007 • 777 Posts

[QUOTE="American-Eagle"]I have a Sony PSP. As do many people. However, do you ever feel like you were charged to much or have that feeling of getting tired of it? Well, I do. I mean the games are decent and the video thing and music is all very nice, but the PSP is becoming one of those items that is going to be collecting dust in a short time. If Sony doesn't come up with some better games or better graphics or something nice, the PSP may just be another dust collector. What do you think of the future of the Sony PSP?Schlemer
Hmm, growing tired of the PSP. Well, it happens with all things. I like how quick we are to condemn something because it lost it's "newness". Let me bring up something that wasn't too long ago. When I first learned how to use a computer all that was around were the C64, Amiga, Atari 400 & 800, Radioshack TSR80s, Apple & Macs and the original PCs. For the time, they were the greatest things since sliced bread. Here's the thing, for all that they could do, web surfing was not even close to being mainstream. Things like windows, iphoto, mpegs, streaming video, ichat, gaming online were something out of science fiction. My point, your complaining about a device that has more power and functionality than some huge beige box that sat on my desk merely 12 years ago, and your board. Here is my observation. I love Nintendo and what they represent. As a teenager the NES was the bomb. As I got older Sony got me reintroduced into gaming (gotta love the Tekken) after a brief hiatus (yes, I completely missed the SNES era). My appreciation for gaming grew with the N64,DC,PS2,GC and Xbox. All at one point, never got turned off and all at another, don't get turned on much. Yet all are still hooked up to my TV. Why, because like an old song you hear on the radio (or just can't get out of your head), Your memory will want to relive a great moment in time. For my son, I picked up a DS. Wonderful and intuitive little device. I gave it a try and really enjoyed games like Mario Kart, Metroid pinball, and New Super Mario bros. I shied away from the PSP because of all the negativity it received. Then one day I took a chance. All I can say is now the DS collects dust unless my kids play with it (not saying it's just for kids) and my PSP gets constantly recharged from all the use I put into it. From games - music - umd movies - web surfing - and photos. I really love this thing and want another. As for paying too much, I say, for a device priced around the same as an ipod, but does more, nope. Bottom line, If you really like you system, never give it up. If you really don't like it and want something else that is more up you alley, then go for it. Truthfully, I've only regretted getting rid of two systems. My Turbo grafix 16 and my original Sega Genisis.

wow well said i agree with you

and at the moment I can't stop playing Lumines

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#27 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

actually im considering buying one this year it seems like more cool games are coming out plus theyre are already like 13 games that are out that seem pretty cool .

DrHyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

#28 DrHyde
Member since 2003 • 584 Posts
Right now I'm not doing that much with PSP, partially because of the early '07 drought, but about spring things should be really picking up and I'll be purchasing some games like Elder Scrolls and D & D Tactics. PSP looks to have a promising future. It might even start to close the gap between it and the DS, but that might be a bit fool hearty at this point.
nevereathim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nevereathim
Member since 2006 • 2161 Posts
I just realized that soon, stores like EB Games may start have a PS3, and all that yo uhave to do is pay them and BOOM, you get PS1 games