The Fear of Backward Compatibility

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Hello everyone. Aren't you guys afraid that someday in the future (like from 20 years from now) you are playing on your playstation-6 and somehow you feel like playing some old games (and by old games I mean today's games), but you can't because you do not own a playstation-3 anymore and you playstation-6 doesn't supports backward compatibility. Fine, you go on ebay searching for a playstation-3, but nobody is selling one... aren't you afraid this somehow happens to you?

P.S.: Don't even mention how paranoic I am.

Restless_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Restless_Soul
Member since 2004 • 1116 Posts

question is how long will we be able to keep playing ps1 games?

Batang_X990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Batang_X990
Member since 2010 • 939 Posts

they'll probably re-release games today 10-20 years from now just like what sony does with

ps classics and nintendo with old nes games. just don't sell your console and keep it in a box or something and hope it dont break.

you could also invest in pc gaming. you'll never have to worry about "next-gen" nonsense or backwards compatibility.

Restless_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Restless_Soul

even if it breaks its not likely you wont be able to find one for sale somewhere. Go to ebay and you can find pretty much any system you might want for sale.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
you are so paranoic
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tjricardo089

they'll probably re-release games today 10-20 years from now just like what sony does with

ps classics and nintendo with old nes games. just don't sell your console and keep it in a box or something and hope it dont break.

you could also invest in pc gaming. you'll never have to worry about "next-gen" nonsense or backwards compatibility.

Batang_X990

Yeah but buying my games over and over and over everytime a new console comes out doesn't seems fair! (GOGO Anonymous, kick Sony's greedy ass)
I have a PC, but there are some gamesI would like to play on a Sony console, but I guess I'll just have to stick to the PC :/

Restless_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Restless_Soul

at least they offer the option. its not their fault if you get rid of your games or your systems.

LeifLongbottom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 LeifLongbottom
Member since 2009 • 2777 Posts

The answer lies with something that rhymes with Ramulator.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tjricardo089

at least they offer the option. its not their fault if you get rid of your games or your systems.

Restless_Soul

I don't, but imagine that my console breaks in the future... how will I play old games?

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#10 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

Hello everyone. Aren't you guys afraid that someday in the future (like from 20 years from now) you are playing on your playstation-6 and somehow you feel like playing some old games (and by old games I mean today's games), but you can't because you do not own a playstation-3 anymore and you playstation-6 doesn't supports backward compatibility. Fine, you go on ebay searching for a playstation-3, but nobody is selling one... aren't you afraid this somehow happens to you?

P.S.: Don't even mention how paranoic I am.

tjricardo089

I thought the world is ending in 2012?

chewy130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 chewy130
Member since 2006 • 643 Posts

i get bored with ps2 games, so no.

worthyofnote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 worthyofnote
Member since 2007 • 21896 Posts

I still own a working NES, as well as nearly every console and handheld I've ever owned over the years still all work great. So no, I really don't fear it. The games always seem to find their way back on compilations and the marketplaces of these newer consoles.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

Honestly, I don't care. Companies have to cut off BC sometime. Do you really expect Playstation 6 or any console to be BC 100% with 5 previous PS systems?

Nintendo's VC is pretty much dead on Wii. The Microsoft stopped putting up Xbox originals on the 360 a long time ago. PS3 stopped being backward compatible in 2007.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
Nope, I don't plan on selling my PS3 anytime and if it breaks I could always buy one. I have yet to see any major console get hard to find. The original Nintendo is very easy to find online even now three console generations later.
TheLordHimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#15 TheLordHimself
Member since 2005 • 3316 Posts

I will never sell my PS3and am actually going to get a pre-owned PS2 and a couple of older games at some point. I still occasionally play Vib Ribbon on Ps1 with my mates too, (best music game ever, beats Guitar Hero) and do get that itch to play games from yesteryear. When I get older and start a family I expect I wont have the money spare to spend on tons of games and would probably replay through classics I've loved for old time's sake.

Perhaps most importantly, when I have children I want to be able to show them the games I grew up with, the games that otherwise, they simply wouldn't be able to get hold of. Children more than anyone can look past a game's graphics and simply have fun.

callan_walsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 callan_walsh
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
surely someone may make a great emulator in 20 years time
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Not really. I played PS2 games for about a year after I got my PS3, but I've had it for two years now and haven't touched a PS2 game in a long time. I look back with fondness towards a few PS1 and PS2 games, but I'm far too busy playing new games and deciding which upcoming games I should pre-order to think about it much.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

Most games from the past don't stand up well by today's standards. Some games from the past are able to stand the test of time, but most are not. Does anyone really want to go back and play first year PS1 games? I would say almost no one does. Games like Toshinden and the first couple of Tekken games are almost unplayable at this point. Even the legendary Final Fantasy 7 is ridiculously outdated at this point. The story is still great and that is the only thing keeping the game alive in this day and age. The gameplay is still ok by today's standards, but it is definitely dated. The Spyro and Syphon Filter games are outdated. FPS games on the orignal PS are almost unplayable by today's standards. The Tomb Raider series is in the same boat. Tank controls for third person action adevnture games don't cut it anymore.

Does anyone really want to go back and play first year PS2 games? I would say that probably almost no one would go back to those days.

Some PS2 still hold up well today because the controller has not changed much from last generation to this generation. Games like Ratchet, Sly Cooper, and Jak could all be played today. Games like Onimusha could not survive today's standards. The Bouncer could not survive today's standards. In 20 years, the games that are unplayable today will still be unplayable in the future. Yes, some games are still just as fun now as they were years ago. Punchout and the Mario games on the NES are good examples of this. Action RPG's like the Soulblazer series and Secret of Mana still hold up quite well today despite a few shortcommings. I don't need 100% BC with 5 generations of the PS. I am sort of replaying through FF7 now on PS3 and I don't even play it that much because I know what to do. I barely read the text in the game because I know what all the characters say. I have played the game several times. In 20 years I don't think I will care about playing FF7 anymore.