The Dreaded "Unopened Game No Receipt" Conundrum

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bipolarHK96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bipolarHK96
Member since 2007 • 138 Posts

So I got a gift from a well-meaning family friend.

Except the gift was for an Xbox360 system when I have a PS3 system. And it was a skating game which is about as entertaining to me as watching paint dry.

No gift receipt.

So I'm stuck now with a game and no receipt. I remember in my younger days being able to walk into a Gamestop and say, "Hey, I've got a brand new unopened game here. Any chance I can get store credit for this?"

And most of the time, I was able to switch the unfun gift into a game more to my liking.

I haven't done this in a while and as I called around to various stores today, all of them give me the response "Sorry. No can do. I can buy it off you for $25-$30 though"

Umm...an opened $55 game going for $30? No thanks. I'd rather scratch it and give it to my dog as a fancy frisbee.

Any thoughts on how to get around this? eBaying it came to mind until I realized no one would be stupid enough to pay full price for a game on eBay when they can do the same thing at Amazon or even a local store.

gekidami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 gekidami
Member since 2004 • 2446 Posts
Seems your only choice is to get rid of it as a 2nd hand and punch the person who gave it to you in the face... Atleast it wasnt your money though you still miss out on a gift...
jackle2071

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 jackle2071
Member since 2004 • 5477 Posts
Sorry man i think your SOL
jstanfi1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jstanfi1
Member since 2004 • 45 Posts

Some major retailers (like Wal-Mart) may take it back for store credit so you could do an exchange that way.

You'll be suprised what folks will pay for new games on eBay, you might get pretty close to the retail value if you have a strong feedback rating.

TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#5 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

Your first problem is that you're calling ahead of time. I swap sealed games all the time, and its always best to go into a WalMart, Zellers, Target or what have you and go directly through "customer service". They won't give you cash, but they will usually allow you to switch the game for another one.

Also, and I hate to stereotype, but you're better off dealing with someone whom is an adult and female, they are typically less arrogant and stubborn, and if you're polite to them, it goes a great ways towards them switching the game for you. It also helps to massage the situation by saying something like "look, I'm not scamming or looking for money, I just want the right game and I'm willing to pay any price difference".

Best of luck.

bipolarHK96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bipolarHK96

punch the person who gave it to you in the facegekidami

It took every ounce of self-control in me to refrain from doing this :P

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
I'm going to trade in Motorstorm that comes with the 80GB model for UT3. Shouldn't be too hard since I've done things like it before
Fredrick2003x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Fredrick2003x
Member since 2005 • 2056 Posts
Just think of the $30 as a present. :)
Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts
idk, if its unopened they should've taken it back, talk to the manager. don't take no for an answer, those EB ******* have been pushing us around for too long.
cjbieva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cjbieva
Member since 2007 • 304 Posts
yes try Walmart they sometime will not give you any problem especially if it's not open.
bipolarHK96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bipolarHK96

Your first problem is that you're calling ahead of time. I swap sealed games all the time, and its always best to go into a WalMart, Zellers, Target or what have you and go directly through "customer service". They won't give you cash, but they will usually allow you to switch the game for another one.

Also, and I hate to stereotype, but you're better off dealing with someone whom is an adult and female, they are typically less arrogant and stubborn, and if you're polite to them, it goes a great ways towards them switching the game for you. It also helps to massage the situation by saying something like "look, I'm not scamming or looking for money, I just want the right game and I'm willing to pay any price difference".

Best of luck.

TheKungFool

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think calling ahead is probably the problem. Seems like more of a scam if done that way.

Guess I'll just show up in person with the unopened game and ask for an exchange.

ps3ruler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ps3ruler
Member since 2004 • 428 Posts

Yeah the "lady thing" up there is true, sad to say.
Make sure your friend knows the mistake he made, he could do it again, and again. [birthday - next christmas]

&just a side note: EBgames has gone straight down the crudeshoot over the years.
I remember many a times me and my friends would cuss out the "mean" dweebs at the counters.

chathuranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 chathuranga
Member since 2003 • 3549 Posts
Maybe you can try a place like Wal Mart
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 americahellyeah
and if none of that works you could always just bring gun :lol:
Judonwanit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Judonwanit
Member since 2005 • 1246 Posts
sell on ebay.
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 americahellyeah

sell on ebay.Judonwanit

lol, it would barely pay for shipping.

jlabadie88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 jlabadie88
Member since 2003 • 1985 Posts

GameStop can in fact return games with no receipt. But I'd first go to Wal-Mart and tell them you simply don't need the game but you're not sure where your friend got it. You should probably at least get a gift card.

ryank285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ryank285
Member since 2007 • 1152 Posts

I'm going to trade in Motorstorm that comes with the 80GB model for UT3. Shouldn't be too hard since I've done things like it beforeDuckman5

That ain't going to work... it clearly states "Not for Resale" on the packaging.

americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 americahellyeah

[QUOTE="Duckman5"]I'm going to trade in Motorstorm that comes with the 80GB model for UT3. Shouldn't be too hard since I've done things like it beforeryank285

That ain't going to work... it clearly states "Not for Resale" on the packaging.

then how come i can buy the "not for resale" version from EB games?

they jsut put a sticker over it and pass it of as a regular version.

ryank285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ryank285
[QUOTE="ryank285"]

[QUOTE="Duckman5"]I'm going to trade in Motorstorm that comes with the 80GB model for UT3. Shouldn't be too hard since I've done things like it beforeamericahellyeah

What they did is illegal then.

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
[QUOTE="americahellyeah"][QUOTE="ryank285"]

[QUOTE="Duckman5"]I'm going to trade in Motorstorm that comes with the 80GB model for UT3. Shouldn't be too hard since I've done things like it beforeryank285

:lol: No store EVER checks that.
ThisCurse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 ThisCurse
Member since 2007 • 1258 Posts

EB Games ha, they way they operate is illegal.

ryank285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ryank285
[QUOTE="ryank285"][QUOTE="americahellyeah"][QUOTE="ryank285"]

[QUOTE="Duckman5"]I'm going to trade in Motorstorm that comes with the 80GB model for UT3. Shouldn't be too hard since I've done things like it beforeDuckman5

:lol: No store EVER checks that.

True, since most retail stores are run my 16 year old hard-ons who get paid minimum wage.

americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 americahellyeah

well tehy did it for all the pack in games for every system, so they must have some sort of loophole.

CoolGuy6654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 CoolGuy6654
Member since 2004 • 411 Posts

the not for resale doesnt mean anything beacuse i traded the ricky bobby movie i got with my ps3 and its says not intened for resale

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
Am I understanding this correctly? Is it that YOU don't have the receipt OR the buyer doesn't have the receipt anymore?
TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#27 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

Illegal or not, every store will carry and sell "not for re-sale" games. You find a copy of NGC's "Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition" that has all four retro Zelda games on it, and you're lucky to find a copy for under $60...and that was a "not for resale" game.

mindworm22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mindworm22
Member since 2006 • 355 Posts
I've never had a problem with Target on returns using the exact methog that "KungFool" described. Just let them know of the mistake and you want an immediate swap. It's really not hard.
Liquid-Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Liquid-Prince
Member since 2007 • 2277 Posts

It doesn't matter to them. They even buy games that have Video Rental store logo's stuck to them. Anywaysto the TC, try taking your game to Wal-Mart and telling them about hopw your family member got the wrong game for the wrong system and trade it out with them.

Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts
Cant you just ask whoever give you it if they still have a receipt? If you explain it is for the wrong system I am sure they would rather see you with the right one then wasting their money.
beckhambender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 beckhambender
Member since 2007 • 793 Posts

Same thing happened to me. Called Walmart and their policy is

1) Bring a valid ID

2) The game MUST have its plastic wrapping on

and full store credit is yours.

I was only planning on re-buying one game but will probably get a 2nd one now as well as some additional Xmas gifts. They scratch my back, I scratch theirs.

The other stores (while I can understand their position) seem to be really uptight about it.

Flaming_Smoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 Flaming_Smoke
Member since 2006 • 2132 Posts

So I got a gift from a well-meaning family friend.

Except the gift was for an Xbox360 system when I have a PS3 system. And it was a skating game which is about as entertaining to me as watching paint dry.

No gift receipt.

So I'm stuck now with a game and no receipt. I remember in my younger days being able to walk into a Gamestop and say, "Hey, I've got a brand new unopened game here. Any chance I can get store credit for this?"

And most of the time, I was able to switch the unfun gift into a game more to my liking.

I haven't done this in a while and as I called around to various stores today, all of them give me the response "Sorry. No can do. I can buy it off you for $25-$30 though"

Umm...an opened $55 game going for $30? No thanks. I'd rather scratch it and give it to my dog as a fancy frisbee.

Any thoughts on how to get around this? eBaying it came to mind until I realized no one would be stupid enough to pay full price for a game on eBay when they can do the same thing at Amazon or even a local store.

bipolarHK96
Aww that sucks... But atleast your dog will be happy :D
beckhambender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 beckhambender

But atleast your dog will be happy :DFlaming_Smoke

And at the end of the day, isn't that what's important? :P

mattyomo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mattyomo99
Member since 2005 • 3915 Posts
go to wallmart, they take anything.
beckhambender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 beckhambender

go to wallmart, they take anything.mattyomo99

Solid store. I like it. Certainly more deserving of my business then the BestBuy, CompUSA, Toys R Us, Costco, Gamestop, Target, GameWorld, and tons of other places that are unwilling to make exchanges.

svenskamerikan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 svenskamerikan
Member since 2007 • 1408 Posts
Target doesn't take anything back without receipt anymore. Now if the guy bought it there he could go in with his credit card (that bought the game) and get a new receipt - since everything can be looked up based on the C-Card they stopped returns without receipt - sure Wal-Mart will go the same route in the long term..
beckhambender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 beckhambender

Target doesn't take anything back without receipt anymore. Now if the guy bought it there he could go in with his credit card (that bought the game) and get a new receipt - since everything can be looked up based on the C-Card they stopped returns without receipt - sure Wal-Mart will go the same route in the long term..svenskamerikan

Costco does a similar thing. Everything is stored on the credit card as well as the Costco membership card even if you don't have the original receipt.