the death of TBRPG's.... (turn based role playing games)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uso_outkast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 uso_outkast
Member since 2006 • 114 Posts

Well...they have ALWAYS looked BORING when u seen them from the outside looking in....

but when you actually play a turn based rpg (the old final fantasy game styles) they really become strategic and engaging....

Why have so many games strayed away from this style?????

ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#2 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

Well...they have ALWAYS looked BORING when u seen them from the outside looking in....

but when you actually play a turn based rpg (the old final fantasy game styles) they really become strategic and engaging....

Why have so many games strayed away from this style?????

uso_outkast

I assume because developers of late having been trying harder and harder to make turn-based battle systems that had more real time aspects that they stopped trying to utilize turn-based at all in favor of real time. The traditional turn-based style is a dying thing, which sucks cause I still enjoy it. I think Chrono Trigger had the best turn-based battle system.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Valkyria Chronicles, Resonance of Fate, and Eternal Sonata are all turn-based games just with action-oriented gameplay added to it. I wouldn't say they are moving away from it, but rather just spicing up the turn-based formula. If you are talking about old school turn-based, then maybe yeah.

uso_outkast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 uso_outkast
Member since 2006 • 114 Posts

I think its an underappriciated art....i do like how valk chronicles kept turn based strategy and gave it a twist....but in terms of RPGS most games are going for the real time affect.....

and i usually feel like i Dont control the other characters....i guess i blame kingdom hearts and KOTOR for this new trend lol...

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Valkyria Chronicles, Resonance of Fate, and Eternal Sonata are all turn-based games just with action-oriented gameplay added to it. I wouldn't say they are moving away from it, but rather just spicing up the turn-based formula. If you are talking about old school turn-based, then maybe yeah.

yokofox33

True, but those games feel more like strategy RPG's (not a fan) although I do like the battle system somewhat in Eternal sonata, but tales of games is better. I hear ya TC, I wish more devs would make some great RPG's like this. I miss a good JRPG :(.

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

If you only look at big budget games turn-based RPGs are rare, just look for more RPGs.

shadow13702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 shadow13702
Member since 2008 • 1791 Posts

If only they came out pokemon for the ps3 :P

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Oh, and I believe 3 upcoming games coming to the US (Atelier Rorona, Ar Tonelico 3, and Trinity Universe) will be classic turn-based action, or at least close to it, so there's some games to look forward to. Will they be amazing games? Probably not, but they are still options to consider.

Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts

Pokemon will never die!

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
a New Persona.... That will be a pure turn-based magic.
Avatar image for AintSayinNothin
AintSayinNothin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AintSayinNothin
Member since 2009 • 45 Posts
I think it's because developers try to make games more friendly to casual gamers. They want players to be able to get right into the action and not end up getting bored before the game picks up. Casual gamers dont want to be stuck in a battle that can take forever.
james007_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 james007_14
Member since 2007 • 3036 Posts
You will see the majority of these type of games in handlhelds. You will rarely see them on consoles anymore unless they are hybrids like VC.
Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts

yokofox33
those aren't the turn based traditional games of old though... and while they can be fun.. nothing beats good old menu based RPGs imo... I don't like this "real time" and "action rpg" stuff as much as actual Turn based...