The 20GB could work if......

This topic is locked from further discussion.

imnotacrook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 imnotacrook
Member since 2003 • 280 Posts

they repriced the thing, for the current price point of a extra $100, its seems that paying a little bit more for awhole lot more isn't that hard of a choice. But if the price differnce was in the $150-175 Range, then it would be more then justified in buying the lesser version and people would more likely actally look at there needs from a console rather then picking up the better bargin or not just picking one up at all.

hazuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 hazuki
Member since 2003 • 3959 Posts

I still don't see why the 20 gig didn't work. I bought one, I got wifi and memory cards the 60 gig supports, but it completely satisfied me to the same amount a 60gig would. The problem was that people probably will see the 20gig, as the premium 360 is to the elite. People think they got to have the most premium version of something out there, and don't want to worry about the hassle of limiting on what they can do.

To be honest, if the ps3 matched the price in japan at 400$ and 500$, i believe it would be much more succesful than it is now. But they had to announce those rediculous 100$ extra prices that people don't care about apparently.

HuhJustaBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 HuhJustaBox
Member since 2006 • 1585 Posts

they repriced the thing, for the current price point of a extra $100, its seems that paying a little bit more for awhole lot more isn't that hard of a choice. But if the price differnce was in the $150-175 Range, then it would be more then justified in buying the lesser version and people would more likely actally look at there needs from a console rather then picking up the better bargin or not just picking one up at all.

imnotacrook

I think the better deal is the 20 gig. That is the one I bought. I don't need wifi, and the rest of the stuff is useless. Who needs SD card slots when you have usb ports? And I doubt I will ever fill up the 20gigs. I guess you would run out of room if you are one of those people that never deletes anything after you are done with it, like demos and trailers and such. Even if I do need more space I can buy a 160gig HDD for about $50.

haze_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 haze_blaze
Member since 2003 • 3907 Posts

I still don't see why the 20 gig didn't work. I bought one, I got wifi and memory cards the 60 gig supports, but it completely satisfied me to the same amount a 60gig would. The problem was that people probably will see the 20gig, as the premium 360 is to the elite. People think they got to have the most premium version of something out there, and don't want to worry about the hassle of limiting on what they can do.

To be honest, if the ps3 matched the price in japan at 400$ and 500$, i believe it would be much more succesful than it is now. But they had to announce those rediculous 100$ extra prices that people don't care about apparently.

hazuki

Exactly. You answered your own question. The hard drive on the 20 gig IS really easy to replace AND you can use the usb ports to have the same card reader access as the 60 gig. But a lot of ppl aren't technically inclined to realize what a bargain it was. As the original poster said... I think they should have stuck with 2 sku's and then they could be lowering the 20 gig to around $300 by now (built in wifi & the extra card readers and hdd space add nearly another $150 to the price!)! This really would have been the smartest plan of action IMO.

haze_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 haze_blaze
[QUOTE="imnotacrook"]

HuhJustaBox

I think the better deal is the 20 gig. That is the one I bought. I don't need wifi, and the rest of the stuff is useless. Who needs SD card slots when you have usb ports? And I doubt I will ever fill up the 20gigs. I guess you would run out of room if you are one of those people that never deletes anything after you are done with it, like demos and trailers and such. Even if I do need more space I can buy a 160gig HDD for about $50.

Really? The 160GB HDD I'm looking at is $100... where can u getone for $50? But yea, still a better deal than the 60gig. And yea, I've already used up about 12gigs, but I've bought 3 d/l games too and the game data for Oblivion & VF5 take up a lot of space too.

BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
The 20 GB was a great deal and I would've bought it, if it came out in Europe. It's actually more value for cash than the 60 GB, i.e. Sony lost more on each 20 GB sold, selling it for even less would have been too much loss. Maybe that's why they discontinued it.
haseeb_1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 haseeb_1989
Member since 2005 • 1322 Posts
I perfer the 60gb one so it doesnt matter to me.
SuissWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SuissWii
Member since 2006 • 154 Posts
i just bought a 20gb on ebay for 450 does anyone know if those usb wifi sticks work?
haze_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 haze_blaze

i just bought a 20gb on ebay for 450 does anyone know if those usb wifi sticks work?SuissWii

I bought an ethernet bridge off of amazon.com for the simple fact that they are as fast as a regular wired connection & u don't have to worry about connection drops. But I have heard that the usb wifi adapters work with the 20 gig as well.

ps3ruler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 ps3ruler
Member since 2004 • 428 Posts

Here's what they should do with the 20GB.

Add 40GB of memory, add wireless internet, add a flash card reader, and a chrome trim.
Then it would sell like hotcakes.
Hmmm... That sounds vaguely familiar.

bazookajoe19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bazookajoe19
Member since 2006 • 827 Posts
it depends on what your needs are. i already filled up half of my 60gb.
gersboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gersboy
Member since 2006 • 55 Posts
does the 20gb ps3 have a freinds list and internet browser aswell??
guyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 guyhunter
Member since 2004 • 3691 Posts

Here's what they should do with the 20GB...

ps3ruler

Sounds like a good idea :)
nexgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nexgen
Member since 2003 • 581 Posts

The 20 GB was a great deal and I would've bought it, if it came out in Europe. It's actually more value for cash than the 60 GB, i.e. Sony lost more on each 20 GB sold, selling it for even less would have been too much loss. Maybe that's why they discontinued it.BenderUnit22

That's exactly why they discontinued it, because they lost a lot of money on the 20GB sku. It's all BS when they say less people bought it, when they only released 20% of 20GB vs 80% of 60G, of course it's going to have less sales. Sony were losing too much money because the 20GB was the better deal.

mobius1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mobius1979
Member since 2005 • 690 Posts

does the 20gb ps3 have a freinds list and internet browser aswell??gersboy

lol of course , the only diff is the hard drive, wifi and the extra slots in the front.

I ve bought the 20gb myself and upgraded to a 120gb HDD for an extra $100

gersboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gersboy
Dos the USB Wi-Fi sticks work on the 20gb PS3 i just bought 1 from my Friend and was wondering because i would use the online play and i will upgrade the HArd Drive aswell thanks
ski11buzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ski11buzz
Member since 2003 • 2117 Posts

The 20 GB was a great deal and I would've bought it, if it came out in Europe. It's actually more value for cash than the 60 GB, i.e. Sony lost more on each 20 GB sold, selling it for even less would have been too much loss. Maybe that's why they discontinued it.BenderUnit22

they discontinued it because it selled like crap. i bought one though

Brickz187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Brickz187
Member since 2007 • 994 Posts
is there anyway to find a 20 gb ps3 laying around? maybe ebay? my pops has a ps3 the 60 gb but i want one 4 myselfand id rather spend less for the 20 gb and im not the type to download crap onto my hard drive plus id rather have my ps3 all black then have the chrome on it i think the all black looks better...but if i cnt find one ill just go head and buy the 60 gb for 500 before they get discountinued
hscream13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hscream13
Member since 2004 • 1134 Posts
I heard from someone that usb wi-fi adapters mess up your ps3.can anyone confirm this?
hscream13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hscream13
Member since 2004 • 1134 Posts
anyone?
email2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 email2003
Member since 2004 • 3529 Posts
I own a 20GB PS3 and I already had WiFi ready for use and I can use my PSP to transfer my videos, images, and MP3's over to the PS3.
SuissWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SuissWii
Member since 2006 • 154 Posts
I bought a 20gb and it was more of a bargain. I bought mine brand new of ebay for 399.00 plus shipping on july 1st. I got a wifi thing which i needed for my pc and it works for the ps3. also if i wanted to get a bigger hd then i can get one for 50.00. Sony stopped selling the 20gb for the same reason they will discontinue making the 60gb. Cost reasons. It it cheaper to buy memory now and they blu ray cathodes are cheaper and also the chip that they are removing will allow the prices to fall. the 20gb was the more bang for your buck. and now I laugh at the people who say i have a cheapo ps3. when I paid 150 less than them and I can have more memory and features for about 50 less than what they pd for theirs.
gersboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gersboy

does anyone have a link to get a usb wifi sick that would work on the ps3 ??

newgames128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 newgames128
Member since 2003 • 175 Posts

Really? The 160GB HDD I'm looking at is $100... where can u getone for $50? But yea, still a better deal than the 60gig. And yea, I've already used up about 12gigs, but I've bought 3 d/l games too and the game data for Oblivion & VF5 take up a lot of space too.

haze_blaze

newegg.com