Texture pop-in on PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jfrancis04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jfrancis04
Member since 2006 • 531 Posts

Ok maybe I'm just being paranoid since I had to have my first PS3 repaired twice, but I've been noticing a lot of texture pop-in on my new PS3 slim. Here are the games where I have been experiencing texture pop-in.

-Replaying through Infamous

-MW2 multiplayer (can't remember anything from the single player); also sounds as if the disc is constantly loading and spinning...even in multiplayer

-Certain spots of Uncharted 2

So...am I the only one with these issues or is it just something that is inherent in these games? I know that Infamous is notorious for it; however, I didn't seem to notice it as much on my first playthrough (on a PS3 fat). Like I said...I could just be paranoid because of the bad luck I've had. Let me know what you guys have seen in these games.

Thanks

tommyas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 tommyas
Member since 2007 • 2594 Posts
I"ve noticed the disc loading like crazy all the time in MW2's multiplayer and i hate it. Poor blu ray wont stop during all those dozens of hours. when i play multiplayer in World at War the disc loads only after a match each time. I wish we could install the multiplayer onto HDD.
x_xion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 x_xion_
Member since 2009 • 602 Posts

i think ur crazy

Heartagram_03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Heartagram_03
Member since 2005 • 3697 Posts

Hmm it could be you're console. I've never experienced any texture pop in while playing inFamous or Uncharted 2.

zspec562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 zspec562
Member since 2007 • 253 Posts

I think it is relatively normal. I've noticed it on Uncharted 1..not so much on Uncharted 2, and MW2 multiplayer, but only at the beginning when its counting down to start. Then again I have an original 60gb.

jfrancis04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jfrancis04

Hmm...anyone else???

Avatar image for Javieralijandro
Javieralijandro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Javieralijandro
Member since 2009 • 2667 Posts

Hmm it could be you're console. I've never experienced any texture pop in while playing inFamous or Uncharted 2.

Heartagram_03
this is a lie atleast for me, try to zoom in a scope in uncharted and you might see pop up textures. Also infamous is an open world game so of course its going to have pop textures. MW2 has pop textures when its doing the count down, also the disc noise thats the price to pay for not having to install.
jfrancis04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jfrancis04
[QUOTE="Heartagram_03"]

Javieralijandro
this is a lie atleast for me, try to zoom in a scope in uncharted and you might see pop up textures. Also infamous is an open world game so of course its going to have pop textures. MW2 has pop textures when its doing the count down, also the disc noise thats the price to pay for not having to install.

Interesting. So after the MW2 countdown is complete, you don't experience any texture pop-in throughout the match?
jfrancis04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jfrancis04

Just remembered...the other game I see it in ALL THE TIME is when I play Madden and they show a shot of the coach/player on the sidelines.

Avatar image for Javieralijandro
Javieralijandro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Javieralijandro
Member since 2009 • 2667 Posts
Correct, after the count down i dont. I did think i had a pop texture during in game but it just turned out to be the crappy textures them self. Uncharteds high res textures spoiled me..
jfrancis04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jfrancis04

Correct, after the count down i dont. I did think i had a pop texture during in game but it just turned out to be the crappy textures them self. Uncharteds high res textures spoiled me..Javieralijandro
Hmm...maybe I do need to get my PS3 checked out then. There are certain MW2 multiplayer levels where I can go and actually walk back and forth to see something like a tree pop in and out.

What do you think?

Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Hahadouken
Member since 2009 • 5546 Posts
Weird. I have played all three of those games for 10-20 hrs a piece, at least, and haven't noticed anything. Borderlands has texture pop-in when you first load an area, but that's the Unreal Engine, it's always like that. Maybe it's the Slim, which would be weird, and would also keep me from buying one. My 60 GB launch console is still chuggin away without any problems! :P
JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts
[QUOTE="Javieralijandro"][QUOTE="Heartagram_03"]

jfrancis04

Interesting. So after the MW2 countdown is complete, you don't experience any texture pop-in throughout the match?

yea hes right about that actually
Avatar image for danthegardner99
danthegardner99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 danthegardner99
Member since 2006 • 799 Posts

Heartagram_03

You must have a special copy of InFamous, because mine has the worst texture pop-in I have ever seen. But seriously InFamous has terrible pop in.

thunderf00t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thunderf00t
Member since 2009 • 948 Posts
Among Thieves has some, but it's greatly reduced compared to Drakes Fortune. The textures usually all settle into place and stay that way farily quickly though, so it's not that big a deal, to me. Screen tearing is a far more distracting visual flaw, as are jaggies. But neither is worse than the most ridiculous visual flaw of them all, which is certainly clipping issues. Nothing kills the mood for me more than gaining some awesome new weapon or accessory, putting it on my character, and see it clip through large chunks of the characters body when he or she moves, or maybe even see their own damn hair clip through their backs. It's just an awful, awful flaw that should have died with the last gen consoles.
Roman_Irishman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 Roman_Irishman
Member since 2007 • 29493 Posts

Uncharted2 is the only game I have out of the ones youve mentioned and I have seen some of those problems but they have been few and far between (I havent played the game more than beating it once though.) Still, my screen is a Sony Bravia XBR so I see every little detail and it really hasnt been a problem for me.

Heartagram_03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Heartagram_03
Member since 2005 • 3697 Posts

Wow! don't I feel feel special now. 8)

Anyways yeah I played inFamous in 1 play through and currently going through the 2nd without any harsh texture pop in. Maybe it's my copy of the game or the console itself. Whatever it is, it's making my game run smoothly. For Uncharted 2, whenever I zoom with the sniper, I've never experienced any texture pop in either. If I had the right tools and cables, I'd record and upload it.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
lol, inFamous has pop-ins up the ass. Fantastic game though.
jfrancis04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jfrancis04

Uncharted2 is the only game I have out of the ones youve mentioned and I have seen some of those problems but they have been few and far between (I havent played the game more than beating it once though.) Still, my screen is a Sony Bravia XBR so I see every little detail and it really hasnt been a problem for me.

Roman_Irishman

Yeah same here re: Uncharted. The pop-in I saw was very minor and definitely few and far between.

jfrancis04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jfrancis04

So I made a video and posted it on youtube. HERE is the link. Watch it and then go try it for yourself. Let me know what you find.

Thanks again everyone.

jfrancis04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jfrancis04

Anyone had a chance to watch the video?

BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
That's not a problem with the PS3, it's just how the game engine works. In order to keep a smooth frame rate, far away objects are only displayed using low-poly versions or, in the case of your plant for example, it's not displayed at all until you're within a certain distance (or zoom in). Texture pop-in / fade-in works the same. Since displaying a high-res texture for an object you can barely see anyway is a waste of memory, a different, low quality texture map is used instead. In certain instances, for example if you turn around quickly, when a level loads up, etc., the game engine can't always keep up, mostly when the cache is already full, so it has to first empty in order to load the new texture. UnrealEngine 3 is a most prominent offender of this case, especially with Mass Effect as far as I heard. Uncharted 2 does it too in some cases, it happens a lot when you load up the journal in busy spots.
jfrancis04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jfrancis04
[QUOTE="BenderUnit22"]That's not a problem with the PS3, it's just how the game engine works. In order to keep a smooth frame rate, far away objects are only displayed using low-poly versions or, in the case of your plant for example, it's not displayed at all until you're within a certain distance (or zoom in). Texture pop-in / fade-in works the same. Since displaying a high-res texture for an object you can barely see anyway is a waste of memory, a different, low quality texture map is used instead. In certain instances, for example if you turn around quickly, when a level loads up, etc., the game engine can't always keep up, mostly when the cache is already full, so it has to first empty in order to load the new texture. UnrealEngine 3 is a most prominent offender of this case, especially with Mass Effect as far as I heard. Uncharted 2 does it too in some cases, it happens a lot when you load up the journal in busy spots.

Ahh...thanks for that explanation. Definitely clears things up. I worried that it was my PS3 when others here said they didn't notice anything at all. You are right about when it occurs too. I most often notice it on far away objects or if I turn very quickly. Now I can at least rest easy knowing it isn't my PS3.