System Linking - Can the PS3 Do It?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by rpgfreak15 (759 posts) -
Hello folks...i've yet to get my replacement PS3 -_- it's been 2 weeks! Anyways, the oher day, me and a bunch of friends decided to play some 360 at a friends house with a 360 elite and a 360. We linked them together and played on two seperate tv's. The tv's were right beside each other but it was impossible to screen watch while playing Halo 3. I didn't know the 360 could do that...i find that seriously awesome. We simply connected a ethernet cable from one 360 to the other and hooked them up seperately to each tv. My main question is...is the PS3 system link compatible? I'm pretty sure it depends on the games as well because i own COD4 and i would love it if we system linked 2 PS3's and played like 4 on 4 or something...also any good offline multiplayer games out there?
#2 Posted by pokerchamp1 (1419 posts) -
Yup. Call of Duty 4 on the ps3 is System Link Compatible.
#3 Posted by LtColJaxson (3233 posts) -

You can do that??

How could you hook up more than one other system if they are linked via ethernet cable?

EDIT^ Nvm just realized how stupid that is...lol. So do you only need one game for both systems then?

#4 Posted by rpgfreak15 (759 posts) -

You can do that??

How could you hook up more than one other system if they are linked via ethernet cable?

EDIT^ Nvm just realized how stupid that is...lol. So do you only need one game for both systems then?

LtColJaxson

Yeah, that's the only drawback. You basically need double everything. One ethernet cable to hook one system to another, 2 of the same game, 2 systems and 2 tv's! It's basically a LAN. One day i'm gonna set this up with a bunch of my mates with some COD4 or some badass offline multiplayer game.

#5 Posted by GEMINIVice (1139 posts) -
[QUOTE="LtColJaxson"]

You can do that??

rpgfreak15

Yeah, that's the only drawback. You basically need double everything. One ethernet cable to hook one system to another, 2 of the same game, 2 systems and 2 tv's! It's basically a LAN. One day i'm gonna set this up with a bunch of my mates with some COD4 or some badass offline multiplayer game.

Is it possible to connect more than just two PS3's at one time.

#6 Posted by paul52181 (1051 posts) -
[QUOTE="rpgfreak15"][QUOTE="LtColJaxson"]

You can do that??

GEMINIVice

Sure, you just need a router, multiple TVs, PS3s, and copies of whatever game you're playing.

#7 Posted by flow797 (175 posts) -
yes you just need a router... i believe you can do it wirelessly too? I don't have anyone to try it out with
#8 Posted by GEMINIVice (1139 posts) -
[QUOTE="GEMINIVice"][QUOTE="rpgfreak15"][QUOTE="LtColJaxson"]

You can do that??

paul52181

Sure, you just need a router, multiple TVs, PS3s, and copies of whatever game you're playing.

Thanks, appreciate the quick response.

#9 Posted by mom3ntus (25 posts) -
How exactly do you connect the ps3's? I used a normal cat5e utp cable that goes from the modem to the ps3 or computer,but instead of puting one end in the modem I put it in the other ps3. What do i need to do, it keeps saying an ethernet cable is disconnected
#10 Posted by krylon36 (318 posts) -
im not sure but i know with a pc you would need a cross over cable instead of a regular ethernet...
#11 Posted by laptop12 (638 posts) -
which more ps3 game can be offline multiplay???
#12 Posted by jj42883 (390 posts) -
How exactly do you connect the ps3's? I used a normal cat5e utp cable that goes from the modem to the ps3 or computer,but instead of puting one end in the modem I put it in the other ps3. What do i need to do, it keeps saying an ethernet cable is disconnectedmom3ntus
The cable you are using to connect your PS3 to the modem is a straight ethernet cable. To connect two PS3's directly together you would need to get a crossover ethernet cable. You could also use an ethernet switch. Connect each PS3 to the switch using straight ethernet cables (the same one's you use to connect to your modem). Either way will work the same. You are creating a very small local area network (LAN). The only differnece is with a crossover cable you are limited to only 2 PS3s. If you use an ethernet switch (and have a bunch of extra PS3s just lying around lol) you can connect as many together as you want (depending on how many players is supported by the game you're playing).
#13 Posted by bsman00 (6038 posts) -
Hello folks...i've yet to get my replacement PS3 -_- it's been 2 weeks! Anyways, the oher day, me and a bunch of friends decided to play some 360 at a friends house with a 360 elite and a 360. We linked them together and played on two seperate tv's. The tv's were right beside each other but it was impossible to screen watch while playing Halo 3. I didn't know the 360 could do that...i find that seriously awesome. We simply connected a ethernet cable from one 360 to the other and hooked them up seperately to each tv. My main question is...is the PS3 system link compatible? I'm pretty sure it depends on the games as well because i own COD4 and i would love it if we system linked 2 PS3's and played like 4 on 4 or something...also any good offline multiplayer games out there?rpgfreak15
Of course what cant the ps3 do!
#14 Posted by THISISASIA (25 posts) -
how many ps3s can be linked together and does it take up alot of bandwidth?
#15 Posted by bartaloe (25 posts) -
Im trying to set up a LAN network and I want to know how to setup for the COD Black Ops. I have a cross over cable and when I go to multiplayer menu and go into LAN and create a match and start one, my friends PS3 IS NOT recognizing my PS3. And Ive read many post saying you need a router and then some say you dont if you have a crossover cable. Well im trying to figure out how to set it up without an internet connection and not having to buy a router bc over here in Afghanistan there isnt a internet connection, I only want to do a Local with the 2 PS3s
#16 Posted by DragonBoi2000 (25 posts) -

I am trying to system link PS3 consoles i have anything from two or more to connect and have multipul routers and many cables but are there any settings that we need to change on the PS3's to make the small network?

I have read many Forums and none of them seem to be of any help, im starting to loose too much hair lol

Why cant it be as simple as system linking XBox 360's just plug and play?