Survival Horror Games for PS3?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by double_heist (2402 posts) -

Will there be any in the future? :|

I've got Silent Hill Homecoming and maybe planning to get Siren. I don't count RE4 as Survival Horror but more of Survival Action/Adventure.

#2 Posted by raven_squad (78438 posts) -
Well, sounds like we've got the same opinion on survival horror. People will be saying Dead Space non-stop, which still is only one notch above RE's brand of action horror (still might want to check it out, but it may not satisfy you. It didn't me). You should also look in to Alone in the Dark: Inferno. As far as on the horizon, I can't think of a single one myself.
#3 Posted by Doolz2024 (9623 posts) -
Dead Space...
#4 Posted by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -
SH,Siren Alone in the dark and Dead space( imo, It nails the survivor horror atmosphere)
#5 Posted by raven_squad (78438 posts) -
SH,Siren Alone in the dark and Dead space( imo, It nails the survivor horror atmosphere)lbjkurono23
Atmosphere, it does well. But when you've got super powered weapons chock full of ammo and health up the wazzoo, its hard to truly be scared.... :?
#6 Posted by TriangleHard (9097 posts) -

Survival Horror genre is dead.

Unless Fatal Frame gets a sequel and comes to PS3 to save the day, there is no hope.

#7 Posted by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -
[QUOTE="lbjkurono23"]SH,Siren Alone in the dark and Dead space( imo, It nails the survivor horror atmosphere)raven_squad
Atmosphere, it does well. But when you've got super powered weapons chock full of ammo and health up the wazzoo, its hard to truly be scared.... :?

well yeah on the second run and on lower difficulties. but I agree its not really scary :P
#8 Posted by TriangleHard (9097 posts) -

[QUOTE="raven_squad"][QUOTE="lbjkurono23"]SH,Siren Alone in the dark and Dead space( imo, It nails the survivor horror atmosphere)lbjkurono23

well yeah on the second run and on lower difficulties. but I agree its not really scary :P

real horror games should be able to scare you even if the game is easy.

Fatal Frame is easy as hell. Easy enough for a 5 year old to complete it by fumbling with the controller. However, the game still managed to scare the **** out of me.

Dead Space did NOT have scary atmosphere. To create that atmosphere you need more than just dark room and few sounds. You need the character to feel the atmosphere as well. Controlling a character that has less emotion than a tin can kills the mood.

#9 Posted by raven_squad (78438 posts) -

[QUOTE="lbjkurono23"][QUOTE="raven_squad"] Atmosphere, it does well. But when you've got super powered weapons chock full of ammo and health up the wazzoo, its hard to truly be scared.... :? TriangleHard

real horror games should be able to scare you even if the game is easy.

Fatal Frame is easy as hell. Easy enough for a 5 year old to complete it by fumbling with the controller. However, the game still managed to scare the **** out of me.

Dead Space did NOT have scary atmosphere. To create that atmosphere you need more than just dark room and few sounds. You need the character to feel the atmosphere as well. Controlling a character that has less emotion than a tin can kills the mood.

Very true. The game doesn't have to be difficult to be scary (though I disagree with your sentiments towards Fatal Frame....it wasn't THAT easy...:P) But the main thing is, the hardest difficulty of Dead Space should have been the normal difficulty. :lol:
#10 Posted by hardyfan8 (484 posts) -
i think nazi zombies is, i mean the only way to lose is to die, so it is a survival of the quikist lolz
#11 Posted by Keir21 (5918 posts) -
Siren is the best way to go. Dead Space has a few cheap scares but otherwise its just an average game.
#12 Posted by M0wen10 (7555 posts) -

Current survival Horror games that are out include - Dead Space, Bioshock, Jericho and Resident Evil 5.

Games for the future include - Dead Space 2, Bioshock 2, Doom 4 and Dead Rising 2.

#13 Posted by raven_squad (78438 posts) -

Current survival Horror games that are out include - Dead Space, Bioshock, Jericho and Resident Evil 5.

Games for the future include - Dead Space 2, Bioshock 2, Doom 4 and Dead Rising 2.

M0wen10
Wow. The only game on your list I would say is even in the red zone of Survival Horror is Dead Space. Bioshock? Jericho? Dead Rising?! :?
#14 Posted by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -
I'd love to see a Survival horror game with stealth mechanics ala MGS4(where you can hide from enemies, get under a bed etc...) and we need enemies that are actually hunting(not waiting for us to trigger them) us in real time through the entire game. I want a game in wish your main goal is to survive not exterminate every monster DX
#15 Posted by M0wen10 (7555 posts) -

[QUOTE="M0wen10"]

raven_squad

Wow. The only game on your list I would say is even in the red zone of Survival Horror is Dead Space. Bioshock? Jericho? Dead Rising?! :?

They are horror's aren't they? Dead Risng 2 you are escaping hordes of zombies! If thats not Survival horror, I don't know what is!

Avatar image for 218409372945592235589581321688
#16 Posted by 218409372945592235589581321688 (618 posts) -

I don't know what PS3 you have or maybe you have a PS2, but Silent Hill: Shattered Memories will be out sometime in the "near" future. I have also heard pretty good things about Condemned 2, plus it is cheap.

#17 Posted by double_heist (2402 posts) -
I guess Survival Horror is pretty dead in PS3 now huh? I like only Alone in the Dark 1 - 3 (PC, DOS) I hope there's at least a game developed by some peeps from the now-defunct Team Silent. They made the freakiest games ever (Siren, Silent Hill 1-4).
#18 Posted by Ospov (3708 posts) -

Anybody that says RE5 is a survival horror game is terribly mistaken. It's an action game with a survivor horror game's controls. There are no scary parts at all. That kind of just takes all of the "horror" out of the game, right? It's hard to be a survival HORROR game with no HORROR aspects in the game.

#19 Posted by magicquebec (1306 posts) -

Yeah Bioshock is very stressfull, there is so much details in the game its hard to see ennemies.

But right now, DEAD SPACE is the ultimate survival horror.

#20 Posted by raven_squad (78438 posts) -

[QUOTE="raven_squad"][QUOTE="M0wen10"]

M0wen10

They are horror's aren't they? Dead Risng 2 you are escaping hordes of zombies! If thats not Survival horror, I don't know what is!

No, thats not survival horror. At all. Survival horror is about limited ammo, limited health, being underpowered and being forced to take a calculated risk just going into combat, in an environment that leaves you feeling disturbed and weary to even look around the next corner.
#21 Posted by double_heist (2402 posts) -
[QUOTE="M0wen10"]

[QUOTE="raven_squad"] Wow. The only game on your list I would say is even in the red zone of Survival Horror is Dead Space. Bioshock? Jericho? Dead Rising?! :?raven_squad

No, thats not survival horror. At all. Survival horror is about limited ammo, limited health, being underpowered and being forced to take a calculated risk just going into combat, in an environment that leaves you feeling disturbed and weary to even look around the next corner.

Also, you have no option but to hide most of the time or else... PWNED.
#22 Posted by M0wen10 (7555 posts) -

[QUOTE="M0wen10"]

[QUOTE="raven_squad"] Wow. The only game on your list I would say is even in the red zone of Survival Horror is Dead Space. Bioshock? Jericho? Dead Rising?! :?raven_squad

Ok, sorry. I didn't think of it that way. :)

#23 Posted by Anonymous06 (84 posts) -

Survival Horror genre is dead.

Unless Fatal Frame gets a sequel and comes to PS3 to save the day, there is no hope.

TriangleHard

No, it's almost dead. Siren: Blood Curse and Condemned 2 are two great games.

Avatar image for paperdollparade
#24 Posted by paperdollparade (1915 posts) -
I'd love to see a Survival horror game with stealth mechanics ala MGS4(where you can hide from enemies, get under a bed etc...) and we need enemies that are actually hunting(not waiting for us to trigger them) us in real time through the entire game. I want a game in wish your main goal is to survive not exterminate every monster DXlbjkurono23
Have you tried clock tower 3. its not exactly what you described, but you can crawl under tables, hide behind curtains and in lockers. the first few levels are very fun/exclierating and you'll be fumbling your controler about when the killer jumps out of no where and starts chasing you. anyway its similar enough to what you're looking for that I thought it was worth mentioning. you're basicly running and hiding from the different killers the whole game while while trying to figure puzzles and other stuff out.
#25 Posted by el_rika (3474 posts) -

Haunting Grounds is pretty much the best/scariest horror game ever made. Everytime the baddies were starting to look for me, my heart felt like it was going to fail me, it was that scary. Not to mention the factthat the game has some of the highest production values in any horror game ever made. Some of the cinematics are made by none other than the > > Robot < < team, nuff said.

#26 Posted by river_rat3117 (3474 posts) -
can the zombie mode in cod count, imean that gets scary when you and your friends are on round 20 and your about to run out of ammo and you are all now just back up in a corner fighting for your life even though you know you cant live forever
#27 Posted by TheCraving (648 posts) -

C'mon man, Nazi Zombies isn't scary. It just kicks ass.

I'd recommend Siren: Blood Curse. Although easierthan Forbidden Siren on the PS2, the game is still quite a challenge in later levels, and maintains an eerie and at times, unsettling atmosphere through out the game. Also, its a good price.

#28 Posted by BlackHawkSaber (157 posts) -

Condemned 2 is definitely a survival horror, but it is average because the controls are awkward, leading more to frustration than fear.

#29 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

Dead Space is one of the scariest games I have ever played, combined with better shooting and inventory mechanics than Resident Evil 5, plus it has great replay value and lots of new things introduced in gaming (Space jumping anyone?).

Resident Evil 5 though, while suffering from shorter length, worse shooting/inventory, and much less scares (like none really), it is more about survival than Dead Space I believe thanks to the small inventory and low ammo. With a friend it is a blast, and has thrice as much replay as well as amazing graphics.

Condemned 2: Bloodshot is a bit short, very very scary too. Not quite as scary overall as, say, Dead Space and Silent Hill, but one moment involving mannequins made me poop my pants almost. Its very fun, with good combat mechanics, ok online (I guess), and a compelling narrative (at least the first half), but you aren't really forced to "survive", and much like F.E.A.R is more like a new breed of horror, I call "Action Horror".

Bioshock is a survival horror meets FPS and explorer. Its definitely got some scary moments, and you really are forced to survive (especially in Survivor difficulty). Be on the lookout for Bioshock 2, which developers say will focus much more on the survival horror aspect (kind of hard when playing as a Big Daddy though).

#30 Posted by lolwotrickroll (1185 posts) -
[QUOTE="M0wen10"]

[QUOTE="raven_squad"][QUOTE="M0wen10"]

id say thats more like action horror like RE5. it's still horror(RE5 is horror game... FACT), but it's not much of a survival game. also I highly doubt it's scary
#31 Posted by lolwotrickroll (1185 posts) -
[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

Dead Space is one of the scariest games I have ever played, combined with better shooting and inventory mechanics than Resident Evil 5, plus it has great replay value and lots of new things introduced in gaming (Space jumping anyone?).

Resident Evil 5 though, while suffering from shorter length, worse shooting/inventory, and much less scares (like none really), it is more about survival than Dead Space I believe thanks to the small inventory and low ammo. With a friend it is a blast, and has thrice as much replay as well as amazing graphics.

Condemned 2: Bloodshot is a bit short, very very scary too. Not quite as scary overall as, say, Dead Space and Silent Hill, but one moment involving mannequins made me poop my pants almost. Its very fun, with good combat mechanics, ok online (I guess), and a compelling narrative (at least the first half), but you aren't really forced to "survive", and much like F.E.A.R is more like a new breed of horror, I call "Action Horror".

Bioshock is a survival horror meets FPS and explorer. Its definitely got some scary moments, and you really are forced to survive (especially in Survivor difficulty). Be on the lookout for Bioshock 2, which developers say will focus much more on the survival horror aspect (kind of hard when playing as a Big Daddy though).

Dead Space having better shooting than RE5? better replay value than RE5? Dead Space's inventory is better????*they're the same thing!!!* Dead Space is scarier than RE5, and Dead Space didn't even have a good atomosphere(ima wimp too! the sounds were great tho). sorry im not trying to get in you're face or anything, but I highly disagree with some of the things you said lol. oh and can someone tell me face-to-face how Siren: Blood Curse is? I suck at stealth, and ima wimp when it comes to horror games. it's interesting to me simply because it's what I suck at. I think it'll be very challenging, and rewarding at the end. but is it actually fun to get through, or is it just a pain. I haven't finished one survival horror game in my life, but I know what they're about. im not going to be one of those idiots complaining "AURUGHGHG YOU CAN'T MOVE AND SHOOT"
#32 Posted by iamshivy (3565 posts) -

i really dont understand how people find dead space to be a survival horror game. the first level seems to be like the same as the second, and so on and so on... um.. there really isnt anything in survival horror these days,, i guess if you havent played it bio shock has a few creepy moments.

#33 Posted by iamshivy (3565 posts) -

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

lolwotrickroll

Dead Space having better shooting than RE5? better replay value than RE5? Dead Space's inventory is better????*they're the same thing!!!* Dead Space is scarier than RE5, and Dead Space didn't even have a good atomosphere(ima wimp too! the sounds were great tho). sorry im not trying to get in you're face or anything, but I highly disagree with some of the things you said lol. oh and can someone tell me face-to-face how Siren: Blood Curse is? I suck at stealth, and ima wimp when it comes to horror games. it's interesting to me simply because it's what I suck at. I think it'll be very challenging, and rewarding at the end. but is it actually fun to get through, or is it just a pain. I haven't finished one survival horror game in my life, but I know what they're about. im not going to be one of those idiots complaining "AURUGHGHG YOU CAN'T MOVE AND SHOOT"

ther4es a demo in siren. it seemss really bad to me.

#34 Posted by ShadowBass989 (1734 posts) -
Siren is your best bet, by far. very creepy. dead space is creepy, but its just a dang good game to play. bioshock had a great atmosphere, but only a couple of boo moments.
#35 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

Since everyone seems to be repeating games, I'm going to start a topic within a topic.

Question: Should zombies be slow or fast? Slow is still dangerous in hordes, but fast seems to be the "it" thing these days.

Go.

#36 Posted by raven_squad (78438 posts) -

Since everyone seems to be repeating games, I'm going to start a topic within a topic.

Question: Should zombies be slow or fast? Slow is still dangerous in hordes, but fast seems to be the "it" thing these days.

Go.

SPYDER0416
Slow are the only true zombies. Everything else is just an "infected" ;) :lol:
#37 Posted by custerke (945 posts) -

I'm also looking for a new survival horror game for my PS3, and luckily, we share the same opinion about what a survival horror game should be. i have just completed Silent Hill: Homecoming several times and I'm now looking for something new, I'm mostly thinking about Siren: Bloodcurse but I'm still not sure... is it realy scary? Is it realy a survival horror game? Does it play properly? What about the story, is it worth it? These are still the things that I'm asking myself about Siren, I hope maybe some1 of you that played can give me some answers. I'm a big fan of the Silent Hill series and I'm just looking for something that can match the intensity and the overall experience that most SH games give me...

#38 Posted by Black-October (687 posts) -

[QUOTE="lbjkurono23"]SH,Siren Alone in the dark and Dead space( imo, It nails the survivor horror atmosphere)raven_squad

You must have skipped out on the hard difficulty.

#39 Posted by Dogswithguns (11359 posts) -
Condemned2 is frightening, not horror, but it's bloody intent.
#40 Posted by cooldust (3283 posts) -
Siren, Silent Hill Homecoming, Alone In The Dark, Condemned 2 (i guess you could say this is a survival game)
#41 Posted by geronimo4711 (35 posts) -

Here's a list from gamefaqs.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/list-164

I think Siren: Blood Curse is a good horror game. I never played it yet but I've seen the demo gameplay, and it looks good for me.

#42 Posted by Swift_Boss_A (14579 posts) -

Well there's this PSN game coming in the next few weeks and it is a survival horror, a great looking one at that. I originally thought it was a disc title. It's called AMY btw.

#43 Posted by CheekyIchi (739 posts) -

I also have Silent Hill: Homecoming. But does Dead Space count?

#44 Posted by blueboxdoctor (2549 posts) -

SH Homecoming wasn't really scary, it just relied on stuff popping in front of you. It did have some creepy moments here and there, but overall it was pretty bland. I do think Dead Space is a good survival horror. I often found myself without any ammo, and a ton of necromorphs coming at me, which was pretty tense. The atmosphere was great for me, but I'm a sci-fi geek, so it just fit perfectly. I hope the new SH is going to be better. I heard Condemned 2 was pretty decent, but I've never played it. It's a shame there really aren't any survival horror games out there anymore, even an fps horror game like call of cthulu would be a nice welcome for this generation.

#45 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
dead space? condemned 2?
#46 Posted by babyboi1002 (25 posts) -
Looking at some of these titles,I think some people don't know the difference between action horror and survival horror
#47 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4326 posts) -

Resident Evil 1-3 (PSClassics), Resident Evil Code:Veronica X, Silent Hill (PSClassics), Silent Hill Downpour is coming out this year too.

#48 Posted by enz2 (1689 posts) -

I'm amazed no one has said F.E.A.R.2. :| (probably F.E.A.R would be recommended)

To be honest, I'm relatively new to this game (and series for that matter), but from playing f.e.a.r. 2, it definitely has that psychological feel that lacks to this gen. Loved the PS2 SHs, and this game has felt the closest. Although Dead Space and BioShock are excellent games, I don't see them under the survival horror type.

#49 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

This thread is OLD. I mean, CRUSTY-OLD. It was started in 2009, peoples!

:lol:

Anyway, there's a ton of good horror games that qualify as survival, even though they're not the time-honored original Resident Evil games, up through "Zero" on the GameCube and the "Outbreak" games on PS2... I think because of it's melee focus, and getting by on the meager weapons given brings "Condemned II" closer to the club that people might think at first glance, I know that "Siren: Blood Curse" is as traditional as Mario & Mushrooms...

... Or was that just the late 80s on a friday night, when I was in college? Anyway...

... The post about "Alone in the Dark: Inferno" - That game is sort of in the family of third-person games with exploration, and crafting coming into play for solving the various puzzles or environmental obstacles. So even though there can be some action sequences or combat, the feel of the game is old-school. Not to mention, a good story with pretty intense cut scenes. Where there are a couple of misses (I would not say "BioShock" is survival horror by any stretch of the imagination), I think the Topic-Resuscitator's assertion that people in this thread don't know the difference between Survival Horror & Action Horror isn't quite correct.

But Wow. AGAIN - This thread has now been brought back to life TWICE.

:|