Surely Sony will have to monetize the PS4 better than they did the PS3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Tixylixx (312 posts) -
What I mean is if these specs are true the PS4 isn't going to be cheap to make and will most likely launch at a high price. However Sony must have learnt from the PS3 that $599 is not a good price to launch at, so they must launch at a big loss surely? I don't see however how Sony can afford to just keep on losing more money for a couple more years until the console becomes profitable like the PS3 again. So would it make sense for Sony to make paying for a subscription mandatory for lots of functions like online play, like Microsoft do? People don't seem to have a problem as apparently like 2/3s of active 360 owners are subscribed, I personally hate it and wouldn't ever pay but it's something that straight away brings in money on their console.
Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
#2 Posted by StrongBlackVine (13262 posts) -

PS3 was expensive because of the Bluray drive and research into building the Cell technology. This system is being made from modified and off the shelf computer parts. The production/development costs won't be nearly as expensive and more importantly Sony won't be taking huge losses.

I see $449 being the highest this goes for standard system with a large capacity hard drive. This console is being built to win and Sony knows price and time were the major factors in Microsoft's coup last generation. With the PS4 definitely looking to be released alongside the next Xbox this fall do you really expect Sony to kill themselves by making it $200 more expensive?

#3 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25834 posts) -
There isn't any expensive new & exotic hardware like Cell & Blu Ray this time though. As an example, and my best guess, Sony will sell for $399 at a loss of $100 per unit and make that up through game sales, peripheral sales, PS+ and so on.
#4 Posted by RFmyrddin (107 posts) -

What I mean is if these specs are true the PS4 isn't going to be cheap to make and will most likely launch at a high price. However Sony must have learnt from the PS3 that $599 is not a good price to launch at, so they must launch at a big loss surely? I don't see however how Sony can afford to just keep on losing more money for a couple more years until the console becomes profitable like the PS3 again. So would it make sense for Sony to make paying for a subscription mandatory for lots of functions like online play, like Microsoft do? People don't seem to have a problem as apparently like 2/3s of active 360 owners are subscribed, I personally hate it and wouldn't ever pay but it's something that straight away brings in money on their console. Tixylixx

One thing appealing from PS3 is the free PSN.  I wouldn't like them to make me pay just to get online.  However, I rather pay for that stuff instead of this ridiculous second hand game blocking (Is it even true?)

I think that this new generation will be between Microsoft and Sony, no way I can see Nintendo follow their competitor and beat them in terms of populartiy like this current gen.  So will it mean more sales for Sony and MS?

And, personnaly, I think the launch price will be 499$ at launch, after few months it will lower to 399$...And...I have my money ready to get it at launch

#5 Posted by StrongBlackVine (13262 posts) -

There isn't any expensive new & exotic hardware like Cell & Blu Ray this time though. As an example, and my best guess, Sony will sell for $399 at a loss of $100 per unit and make that up through game sales, peripheral sales, PS+ and so on.Floppy_Jim

Exactly.

#6 Posted by The_Rick_14 (9945 posts) -
Judging by the rumored specs so far, I wouldn't be surprised if the price is kept below $400 at launch.
#7 Posted by nightshade869 (3457 posts) -
I agree with the editors at IGN that they will most likely sell the system at a loss like they did with the PS3. I think a price of 399 is going to happen. Sony is in the black for the first time in many years and with the sale of the NY headquarters they have a lot of money to play with and can afford to sell the console at a loss. They make it back and more in software and the PSN per console so I expect a very competitive price point.
#8 Posted by Kravyn81 (9438 posts) -
I can't understand how a console that is utilizing obsolete tech (compared to PCs) how they can charge an arm and a leg for it, not to mention take a loss. The components they're using are not state-of-the-art. So I don't understand the high price point. The PS3 was different because it ushered in Blu-ray and all that crap. But that tech is standard now. So there's no reason the PS4 should cost more than $400.
#9 Posted by Tixylixx (312 posts) -
I can't understand how a console that is utilizing obsolete tech (compared to PCs) how they can charge an arm and a leg for it, not to mention take a loss. The components they're using are not state-of-the-art. So I don't understand the high price point. The PS3 was different because it ushered in Blu-ray and all that crap. But that tech is standard now. So there's no reason the PS4 should cost more than $400.Kravyn81
Erm yeah there is? Considering it'll cost more than that to make + R&D.
#10 Posted by jcopp72 (5370 posts) -
if Sony were to make us pay for online then I would bet that a bunch people would just jump to Xbox instead of Sony.
#11 Posted by Kravyn81 (9438 posts) -

[QUOTE="Kravyn81"]I can't understand how a console that is utilizing obsolete tech (compared to PCs) how they can charge an arm and a leg for it, not to mention take a loss. The components they're using are not state-of-the-art. So I don't understand the high price point. The PS3 was different because it ushered in Blu-ray and all that crap. But that tech is standard now. So there's no reason the PS4 should cost more than $400.Tixylixx
Erm yeah there is? Considering it'll cost more than that to make + R&D.

That's what I mean. R&D isn't just something they throw together over night. It takes years. So essentially whenever they started and whatever tech they decided to go with, the prices for that tech NOW compared to when they were researching it should have come down. That's my point. That's how I think it would go, anyway. Of course I'm just a layman and have no idea the details.

#12 Posted by StrongBlackVine (13262 posts) -

if Sony were to make us pay for online then I would bet that a bunch people would just jump to Xbox instead of Sony. jcopp72

Why is that? Xbox is still inferior even if the cost are the same...also reported for starting a console debate.

#13 Posted by StrongBlackVine (13262 posts) -

So there's no reason the PS4 should cost more than $400.Kravyn81

It won't cost more than $400 and Sony will still take e a loss. You ignore the research and development. Yeah they are using standard parts this time, but they modified them fit a closed system. It isn't cheap. Sony is also rumored to be using a much more expensive and faster RAM than the next Xbox.

#14 Posted by Geminon (1177 posts) -

get ready to fork out money for online features aside from just being able to play the game. i guarantee they will be making you pay for a sub this time around. my guess is silver members will be able to play online and maybe form 2 person parties, and you will have to pay a sub for literally everything else. want to form large parties? pay for PS+. want to voice chat? pay for PS+. want cloud access? pay for PS+. im sure there are a bunch of other features that will be behind the sub curtain as well.

PS+ for playstation was just a test run to see how popular it would be. it has been fairly successful, so now they know they can charge and people will pay. they will still be able to maintain that their online multiplayer is free though, just very limited...

i dont expect the console to cost more than 450 this time around though, which is a godsend. im guessing 350 (small harddrive, fewer USB ports) for the base model, 450 for the upgraded model.

#15 Posted by Ada-Wong-Fan (57 posts) -

I Expect These Following Info For North America Launch

Retail Blue Ray Game Comes With One Time Key Unlock Full Game or Buy Used Key Cost 25.00.

Retail Blue Ray Game Price: 59.99 / Digital Game Price: 54.99.

All Retail Copy Games get Digital Copy Same Day.

Retail Blue Ray Game Filesize: 9GB Up to 50GB / Retail Digital Copy Game Filesize: 9GB Up to 50GB

Dual Shock 4 Controller Price: 54.99.

New Controller Price: 69.99.

PS4 Basic (Comes With 168GB Solid State Drive) Price; 349.99.

PS4 Pro (Comes With 320GB Solid State Drive) Price; 449.99.

Gamer Can Buy Any Solid State Drive But Solid State Drive Be Link To PS4 Same Way WII U Did

#16 Posted by Sokol4ever (6692 posts) -

I'm hopping to see 349-399$ price tag for standard model, similar to the Wii U price point. That would be a very appealing level for many gamers and if you add 2-3 first party top level exclusives at launch, you're pretty much have guaranteed excellent sales. 

I certainly won't be spending 700$ I did with 60GB model back in 2007 regardless of how superb the console might be. Family, expenses and still lingering recession will continue to be main priority.

#17 Posted by Sefrix (1497 posts) -

They seemed to know that what cost them early on last time was timing and most importantly, price. Without any new technology and with that in mind I would agree with everyone else here and say $400 for the top model. Sony has been really good at not messing up what they know their consumers like so there wouldn't be mandatory online sub.

#18 Posted by RFmyrddin (107 posts) -

SSD drive in PS4? Don't think so...

I won't cry on Sony losing money on hardware.  They can sell the ps4 for 99$ and still make money if they manage their stuff well.  As for online fee etc...I'm not worry at all, and nobody will make me cry about them.  They surely have enough people in their accounting to know how to sell stuff. 

Sony as Microsoft or Nintendo all thing the same way:

Make more money, spend less money

Make it looks like a knight in a shining armor, but, truly, it could only be a retard in aluminium foil...

#19 Posted by StrongBlackVine (13262 posts) -

I won't cry on Sony losing money on hardware.  They can sell the ps4 for 99$ and still make money if they manage their stuff well.  As for online fee etc...I'm not worry at all, and nobody will make me cry about them.  They surely have enough people in their accounting to know how to sell stuff. 

Make it looks like a knight in a shining armor, but, truly, it could only be a retard in aluminium foil...

RFmyrddin

Sony has had massive problems managing money recently. They need to do a better job.

#20 Posted by RFmyrddin (107 posts) -

[QUOTE="RFmyrddin"]

StrongBlackVine

Sony has had massive problems managing money recently. They need to do a better job.

Yes, they've lost a lot of money, was it their gaming division?  Globally, Sony corp lost money, I'm not sure about ps3.  Maybe on their hardware, but on license and accessories and psn...I would like to see their financial number for gaming division...

#21 Posted by BH14 (1927 posts) -

What I mean is if these specs are true the PS4 isn't going to be cheap to make and will most likely launch at a high price. However Sony must have learnt from the PS3 that $599 is not a good price to launch at, so they must launch at a big loss surely? I don't see however how Sony can afford to just keep on losing more money for a couple more years until the console becomes profitable like the PS3 again. So would it make sense for Sony to make paying for a subscription mandatory for lots of functions like online play, like Microsoft do? People don't seem to have a problem as apparently like 2/3s of active 360 owners are subscribed, I personally hate it and wouldn't ever pay but it's something that straight away brings in money on their console. Tixylixx

Do you think Sony wanted to charge $599 for the ps3 at launch? Sony had to charge that amount because it cost Sony more to make the PS3 than their original selling price. It was because the blu-ray technology in 2006 that made the ps3 so expensive. Lets not forget that regular blu-ray players cost like $400-500 around that time as well.

I think a $400 launch price would be fair price... Lets forget about subscription because that is a terrible idea. Just because 2/3 of xbox owners are subscribers doesn't mean that they don't have a problem with paying. They are saying "I like playing online and I hate paying but I am willing to do it." In 6 years of being an xbox subscriber, how much would that cost? Way too much. NOBODY LIKES PAYING THAT MUCH.

#22 Posted by MethodManFTW (26516 posts) -
How we supposed to know that bro.
#23 Posted by punisher1 (3264 posts) -

I think when the PS4 comes out and GTA5 comes on it people will be going crazy for the new system and it wont matter.

#24 Posted by Sefrix (1497 posts) -

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

[QUOTE="RFmyrddin"]

RFmyrddin

Yes, they've lost a lot of money, was it their gaming division?  Globally, Sony corp lost money, I'm not sure about ps3.  Maybe on their hardware, but on license and accessories and psn...I would like to see their financial number for gaming division...

They're gaming devision is doing well. TV's on the other hand...

#25 Posted by Namgis (3592 posts) -

All they really have to do to be successful next gen is to fire every single moronic, obtuse fool they have running their marketing division. And every person ever employed in that department. The Sony brand is still synonymous with gaming, if they keep doing things the way they are, that will end.

Sefrix

Didn't they say they were going to drop the TV division? Or am I making things up again?

#26 Posted by Sefrix (1497 posts) -

I didn't hear that. Last I heard though it was doing pretty terrible so I wouldn't be surprised.

#27 Posted by RFmyrddin (107 posts) -

All they really have to do to be successful next gen is to fire every single moronic, obtuse fool they have running their marketing division. And every person ever employed in that department. The Sony brand is still synonymous with gaming, if they keep doing things the way they are, that will end.

[QUOTE="Sefrix"]

Namgis

Didn't they say they were going to drop the TV division? Or am I making things up again?

Sort of, with the TV price drop we've seen in the last 2-3 years, many has seen their profit disappear.  I think Samsung talk about dropping a part of their TV division also...Maybe they should give a 42 inch TV with the PS4...

#28 Posted by Geminon (1177 posts) -

I didn't hear that. Last I heard though it was doing pretty terrible so I wouldn't be surprised.

Sefrix

[QUOTE="Sefrix"]

Namgis

very unlikely. big companies are known to keep divisions that are not profitable just to stay in that market. they use their other divisions to make up the loss. TVs are what sony is known for (well, that and the now extinct walkman). even if they are not making money, i cant see them getting out of the market that they basically started in.
#29 Posted by happy_dude64 (994 posts) -

[QUOTE="jcopp72"]if Sony were to make us pay for online then I would bet that a bunch people would just jump to Xbox instead of Sony. StrongBlackVine

Why is that? Xbox is still inferior even if the cost are the same...also reported for starting a console debate.

He/she wasn't starting a debate. He or she was just stating their opinion about the original topic. Geeze, since when did gamespot users get so whiney?

#30 Posted by Truvietplaya (659 posts) -

I think if they are thinking of releasing two versions of it. One will be $399 while the other may be $450. $350 and $399 will be great but I don't know if that is going to happen. Let's hope it's not something as low as 20gb hard drive vs 60gb. Lol. That would suck. 

#31 Posted by Sefrix (1497 posts) -

[QUOTE="jcopp72"]if Sony were to make us pay for online then I would bet that a bunch people would just jump to Xbox instead of Sony. happy_dude64

He/she wasn't starting a debate. He or she was just stating their opinion about the original topic. Geeze, since when did gamespot users get so whiney?

Man I see this everywhere. It took GS a while to get overrun with 'em ;)

#32 Posted by Kravyn81 (9438 posts) -

[QUOTE="RFmyrddin"]

Sefrix

No sh*t. They need to swallow the humble pill and lower their damn prices on TVs. It's ridiculous when other well-known brands offer the same specs but for $500 less. But just 'cause it's a "Sony" TV like that's so effing impressive. Nobody gives a damn and I don't care how they justify their price. LOWER THE PRICE. That's why nobody wants to buy your damn TVs.
#33 Posted by jcopp72 (5370 posts) -

[QUOTE="jcopp72"]if Sony were to make us pay for online then I would bet that a bunch people would just jump to Xbox instead of Sony. StrongBlackVine

was just answering a question, if its starting console wars then its from the question not me, and I personally own a PS3 and plan on getting a PS4, as I said I was just stating an opinion, grow up a bit.

#34 Posted by jcopp72 (5370 posts) -

[QUOTE="jcopp72"]if Sony were to make us pay for online then I would bet that a bunch people would just jump to Xbox instead of Sony. happy_dude64

Thank you
#35 Posted by RFmyrddin (107 posts) -

I guess they'll understand...Sony trademark doesn't mean the same as 10 years ago.  500$? Oh, then they should really give a PS4 with a brand new TV! I'm wondering, will the new console get the 3D to a new level?

#36 Posted by RFmyrddin (107 posts) -

[QUOTE="jcopp72"]if Sony were to make us pay for online then I would bet that a bunch people would just jump to Xbox instead of Sony. jcopp72

was just answering a question, if its starting console wars then its from the question not me, and I personally own a PS3 and plan on getting a PS4, as I said I was just stating an opinion, grow up a bit.

I second that

#37 Posted by clr84651 (5634 posts) -

Actually if they launch before the 3rd Xbox they could price it higher as it would be a much better system than the Wii U and it wouldn't be competing against the 3rd Xbox for pricing and the Wii U costs $350-$400 for a bad system with hardly any games. 

#38 Posted by Sefrix (1497 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sefrix"]

[QUOTE="RFmyrddin"]

Kravyn81

No sh*t. They need to swallow the humble pill and lower their damn prices on TVs. It's ridiculous when other well-known brands offer the same specs but for $500 less. But just 'cause it's a "Sony" TV like that's so effing impressive. Nobody gives a damn and I don't care how they justify their price. LOWER THE PRICE. That's why nobody wants to buy your damn TVs.

But it's a BRAVIA! :P

#39 Posted by Geminon (1177 posts) -

[QUOTE="Kravyn81"][QUOTE="Sefrix"]They're gaming devision is doing well. TV's on the other hand...

Sefrix

samsung actually makes their panels.... so technically it is just a rebranded samsung lol.....
#40 Posted by Sefrix (1497 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sefrix"]

[QUOTE="Kravyn81"] No sh*t. They need to swallow the humble pill and lower their damn prices on TVs. It's ridiculous when other well-known brands offer the same specs but for $500 less. But just 'cause it's a "Sony" TV like that's so effing impressive. Nobody gives a damn and I don't care how they justify their price. LOWER THE PRICE. That's why nobody wants to buy your damn TVs.Geminon

samsung actually makes their panels.... so technically it is just a rebranded samsung lol.....

You could say "Samsung actually makes their _____" for a lot of companies ;)

#41 Posted by Tixylixx (312 posts) -
Question is do Sony release a 60GB SSD PS4 or even SSD storage built directly to the board or do they release like a 500GB HDD PS4 instead?
#42 Posted by stvee101 (2953 posts) -

I woudln't be surprised to see a PS4+Vita bundle/deal at launch.

#43 Posted by lilnazar (1923 posts) -

stvee101

That won't happen. It would be just too expensive.

#44 Posted by shellcase86 (3440 posts) -

You don't understand the economies of scale, OP. The costs to include Blu-ray last go around alone were crazy high. Different scenario this time.

#45 Posted by Senor_Kami (8529 posts) -
I wonder what they will do for PS+. It's almost too good of a value. Are they really going to give away one or two PS4 games and then 1 or 2 PS4 PSN games each month? There will be many gamers who will see $50 a year for PS+ and then maybe one or two retail purchases a year as all they ever need.

[QUOTE="stvee101"]

lilnazar

I could totally see that, especially at launch. Launch brings out the crazies who beg and demand to get reamed financially. Why not have a SKU designed to do little more than separate a fool and his money?
#46 Posted by Sokol4ever (6692 posts) -

I wonder what they will do for PS+. It's almost too good of a value. Are they really going to give away one or two PS4 games and then 1 or 2 PS4 PSN games each month? There will be many gamers who will see $50 a year for PS+ and then maybe one or two retail purchases a year as all they ever need. [QUOTE="lilnazar"]

[QUOTE="stvee101"]

Senor_Kami

I could totally see that, especially at launch. Launch brings out the crazies who beg and demand to get reamed financially. Why not have a SKU designed to do little more than separate a fool and his money?

I see them giving away slowly more PS3 games that are playable on PS4. Otherwise, I see PSN titles, beta's, avatars, cloud saves to continue. 

As for the PS4, I believe discounts on a very decent price point scale would work for PS+ membership as the library is growing. They could also include Gaikai into PS+

Time will tell. 

#47 Posted by The_Rick_14 (9945 posts) -
Question is do Sony release a 60GB SSD PS4 or even SSD storage built directly to the board or do they release like a 500GB HDD PS4 instead?Tixylixx
With the sizes of games and the slow shift towards downloading over disc, I feel the wiser move would be a 500GB HDD.
#48 Posted by Jackc8 (8515 posts) -

When my own finances are in such good order that I never have to think about them any more, then I'll start worrying about how much money Sony may or may not make next gen.