Strongly Considering Buying a PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chicagocub_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 chicagocub_101
Member since 2005 • 474 Posts

Ok, so here's the deal. I have decided that every single game that I really enjoy on 360, aside from Halo, is on PS3. I am strongly considering trading in my 360 and all of my games, and getting a PS3. However, I honestly don't know too much about the PS3. Which one should I get, 40 or 80 gig. Are they backward compatable with PS2 games, can I play guitar hero I and II on there? And what peripherals should I get?

thanks a lot, information is greatly appreciated

expanded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 expanded
Member since 2003 • 8430 Posts
if you want backwards compatibility go with the 80gb ( or if you can snag a 60gb its better!) but if you still have your ps2 and it still works.. i say get the 40gb :)
its a great console and if you go through with it good for ya! ps3 is a power house beast!
chicagocub_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 chicagocub_101

k, thank ya. One more question, is the 60 gig BC?

expanded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 expanded
Member since 2003 • 8430 Posts

yepp 100% :D

BonoBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BonoBoy
Member since 2002 • 587 Posts

chicagocub_101

100% BC

wenzke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 wenzke
Member since 2004 • 367 Posts

Backward Compatibility

The 40gb is NOT BC. The 80gb is, using software emulation (like the 360 and XBOX). IF you can find one of the luanch 60gb or 20gb PS3's, they use hardware emulation. This only matters if BC is really important to you.

Guitar Hero 1&2 Compatibility

The PS3 is not compatible with GH1 or GH2, do to controller interaction difficultues. Hopefully, perhaps the soundtracks will become downloadable, but for now, you would be stuck with GH3 only. From this perspective, the X360 is slightly better, since it also has GH2.

Peripherals

If you plan on using your system as a Blu-ray player frequently, the PS3 bluray remote is nicely made, very functional and only $25. (USD) If you will only use this functionality rarley, you can make do with the SIXAXIS. If your TV is compatible, I would suggest picking up HDMI cables, but don't go for the SONY brand, they are a rip-off.

Games

To each his own on this front, pick up what looks good to you. I personally would suggest Resistance, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank as a good foundation of games which are also exclusive, making you feel as though you have something coll and new, rather than replaying games you have already experienced on the X360.

thekodaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thekodaman
Member since 2006 • 1733 Posts

My first question would be: what is your budget?

I strongly reccommend you hunt down a 60GB version, failing that get the 80GB if you can afford it. That said the 40GB is still worth your money if there is nothing else despite what the fanboys say.

My Second Question would be: Do you have a HDTV?

Not sure if this matters much for the 360, since ive never owned one, but a HDTV really does make the difference for graphics for your PS3.

The 40GB has absolutely no backwards compatability, the 60GB version is backwards compatible in the US and in the EU has software simulation which is almost as good. All versions can play PS1 games.

Since you said you didn't know much about PS3 I'll fill you in on the details for Online, PSN gives a very solid online experience and isn'tin any way a bad or inferior service as compared to Xbox Live, it has a few flaws granted but they are cosmetic flaws and Sony are always improving it much the same way Xbox Live wasn't as good as it is now when it was launched. PSN is completely free and you will only pay for downloading PS1 and PS2 titles, new maps etc. Downloading demos, wallpapers and themes for your PS3 is free as well.

jams_shop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jams_shop
Member since 2004 • 973 Posts

chicagocub_101

yes, it is and the 60GBhas the best for BC of all models

chicagocub_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 chicagocub_101

ok thanks, you guys are awesome. My budget is around 600 bucks, and i do own an HDTV.

so, overall, anycomplaints about the system. anything else i should know?

jams_shop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jams_shop
Member since 2004 • 973 Posts

ok thanks, you guys are awesome. My budget is around 600 bucks, and i do own an HDTV.

so, overall, any complaints about the system. anything else i should know?

chicagocub_101

I personally haven't had any problem with mine, but you may hear some rumors; some them true, but most are false.