Stealth genre for PS3 -- for relatively new modern gamer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shootinfool73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 shootinfool73
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Hey all.

I am new to modern gaming...got my PS3 just 1.5 yrs ago, and before that my only "modern" gaming has been with PC flight sims and PC games like Doom from the late 90s. I'm not at all the best gamer -- I find games at their "normal" difficulty challenging -- the shoe fits well, so I'll wear it... ;-) I say that up front only to hopefully filter/avoid the "man you really suck" comments from 13 yr olds who beat games on their hardest levels in 4 hrs. :D

I am reading mixed reviews all over the place, so I figured I'd craft the question FOR ME... lol. I'm a big fan of the Assassin's creed series -- pretty much all of them, with the AC2 trilogy and AC4 being my favorites. I also liked FarCry 3 a lot, with the exception of it being a 1st person game. From all my reading I also got Hitman Absolution, Metal Gear Solid 4 and Splinter Cell Blacklist (b/c it was the most recent). I usually start a game and play to finish before moving on, but I decided to try all 3 for a few missions to see how they were before moving on with one of them. Metal Gear 4 I dont see as much of a stealth game as it's touted, because most of what I've played so far has been a lot of combat, but its defintiely a good game. With Hitman Absolution, I didnt like the general control mechanics, but got used to it, but then I got really frustrated with the fact that it was hard to be stealthy when after quietly killing someone and taking their disguise, people still immediately became suspicious and you ended up in a shootout anyway (fail). I even put it on easy (which I typically rarely do with games)...maybe I just dont get something, because while I've seen many bad reviews on it, most others seem to like it. I was originally most excited about Hitman after reading what the games were about, but now I'm just glad I only paid $10 for it. So far I like Splinter Cell Blacklist a lot -- and the most of the 3 -- and think I will go with other people's suggestions of playing the older SC games like Chaos theory as well.

So to my question... Is it just Ubisoft that I think makes good games? :) I love the sneaking around/stealth games the most it seems, so since I have no history on the origins of any of these series, or playing stealth games in general other than the AC series, what should I be looking for and am I going about criticizing Hitman all wrong? Are there any other stealth titles (or other Hitman titles even) that I should be looking at that would be good (and not equally annoying)? I realize maybe it's just me and the 13 yr olds are right (I suck), but I'd like to be able to overcome that if possible :D.

Thanks!

stationplay_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 stationplay_4
Member since 2014 • 444 Posts

dishonored is probably one of the best stealth games i've played.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

@stationplay_4 said:

dishonored is probably one of the best stealth games i've played.

i second that... :)

hellangel_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By hellangel_boy
Member since 2007 • 180 Posts

It's not you IMO, stealth genre suffers. I haven't played Dishonored, but always heard it was a good stealth game. And about Hitman:A, I'm not Hitman fan, but I thought Hitman:A was boring game, so you are not alone who thinks Hitman:A wasn't good.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

Splinter Cell Black List was the best stealth game I played last year, and I played them all. Didn't care for the new Thief, and of course MGS GZ was excellent, albeit not full length. Shadow of the Ninja is also great. Skyrim actually has robust stealth mechanics too.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Dishonored, Hitman Absolution and Splinter cell Blacklist were the best stealth games I played last gen.

Deus Ex human revolution has some great stealth elements to it also.

GiantAssPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GiantAssPanda
Member since 2011 • 1885 Posts

@shootinfool73 said:

Metal Gear 4 I dont see as much of a stealth game as it's touted, because most of what I've played so far has been a lot of combat, but its defintiely a good game.

Tactical espionage action. :) You can go guns blazing but using stealth and cqc will result into much more satisfying gaming experience.

jaenjaes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jaenjaes
Member since 2014 • 30 Posts

The Last of Us, even though it's more of a story-driven thrilling experience has some very interesting stealth components that could keep you at the edge of your seat if you're engaged enough. I haven't played through it since launch but I do remember it being somewhat difficult at certain aspects but if you're interested in sneaking around & stealth kills Joel & Ellie's duo in TLOU will provide a great experience.

porkchopxp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By porkchopxp
Member since 2004 • 1181 Posts

Deus Ex Human Revolution was good for modern stealth. Funny that you love the AC series but you think MGS4 doesn't have enough stealth. You do know that, with the exception of set-pieces and boss battles, you can stealth MGS4 entirely?

One game that isn't on the PlayStation platform but is also doing great things with stealth is, Mark of the Ninja. Most low end pcs can play it too.

shootinfool73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 shootinfool73

@hellangel_boy said:

It's not you IMO, stealth genre suffers. I haven't played Dishonored, but always heard it was a good stealth game. And about Hitman:A, I'm not Hitman fan, but I thought Hitman:A was boring game, so you are not alone who thinks Hitman:A wasn't good.

Thanks... I dont think I'll pick up Hitman again. Tried one more time after 'cooling off'...just to see if a fresh re-try would yield better results., but it didnt... :( Unless someone convinces me the previous titles were better than Absolution... or maybe a future release makes great changes, I'll trade it back and forget they ever existed. lol

shootinfool73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By shootinfool73

Thanks all for the replies. Much appreciated.

I am going to check out Dishonored -- hadnt seen much about it, but since it had 2 recommendations here, I'll give it a look. So far I am thrilled with SC Blacklist, and will complete this one now. Hitman is out the window as far as I'm concerned...if Gamestop gives me 50 cents for it I'll be happy.

I had just gotten the Last of Us as well, but havent played yet. After finishing SC Blacklist I plan to take a break from the stealth games and The Last of Us or GTA 5 are next on my list.

On a quick side note... if anyone still follows this thread... do any of you agree with the recommendation of getting the older Splinter Cells or the PS3 remastered trilogy? I keep reading Chaos Theory is the ultimate....

THanks again

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

unfortunately the older splinter cell games haven't aged so well, the controls make you want to headbutt the nearest wall... :D

shootinfool73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 shootinfool73

I finished SC Blacklist a week or so ago -- not just story, but all side missions, etc -- and I think it was the best. Can't wait for the next one...but assume it will probably be on PS4, so that will be a while.. :(

kingw12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kingw12
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

@shootinfool73:

When I first started playing Hitman Absolution I was pretty annoyed at how the enemy disguises actually didn't hide your cover. But I found the best way to play that game is pick a type of style and go about it that way. If you notice, in the challenge menu it actually rewards you for being stealthy. So what I did was a suit only and no detection play through. The stealth played out really well for me that way and enjoyed it a lot. Having to be careful of who was around when I would knock out people, distract enemies to move through sections and had to hide every body I would kill. I say give it a go with suit only and no detection play through.

Plus 1 on Dishonored, everything about that game just worked so well together.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

They aren't really stealth games (more action games that utilize stealth like Assassin's Creed) but you might like the Batman games, Arkham Asylum and Arkham City.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

Deus Ex Human Revolution is amazing but it might be a bit too hardcore for you, theres character customization in it...but the stealth gameplay is awesome for example theres parts where you can either go in guns blazing through a mission or sneak to the back of the building move a garage can under a fire escape ladder and sneak in. really great game. I also recommend metal gear solid 4 but that high caliber game is best to be played if you played the first few, better yet get the metal gear solid collection on ps4. theres also splinter cell.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#18 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

The metal gear HD collection. Not as combat friendly as 4, 3 in particular is truly stealth at its finest.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#19 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Hitman absolution

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#20 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Dues Ex Human Revolution, Hitman Absolution, Far Cry 3, Dishonored.

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

Splinter Cell: Blacklist is $9.99 at walmart today... Online price and you get free shipping to a walmart.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

@shootinfool73 said:

I finished SC Blacklist a week or so ago -- not just story, but all side missions, etc -- and I think it was the best. Can't wait for the next one...but assume it will probably be on PS4, so that will be a while.. :(

Old topic I know but if you never got around to the Splinter Cell trilogy I recommend them. Or Chaos Theory at least because it is the best in the series and holds up very well. I still love the first two but you may find the controls, framerate and clunkiness somewhat jarring.

The_X_Factor_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 The_X_Factor_9
Member since 2009 • 503 Posts

Glad to see Splinter Cell: Blacklist getting the love that it rightfully deserves!

Playing The Last of Us on the hardest difficulty was a tense, memorable stealth experience for me. Felt even better than playing MGS 4 on the second toughest difficulty.

Eventually I'm going to go back and pick up the Director's Cut of Deux Ex and give it another go. I keep on hearing great things about that game.