Sony's Move + 3D into hardcore games = bad

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SiKh22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SiKh22
Member since 2006 • 4661 Posts

At least in my opinion, it's got that neat feature of wow at first but soon after I just want to use a regular controller. They are putting this into to many of their games, LBP is good but Killzone 3, GT5, Socom 4, no no no! even if they work will, its already said 3D will slow the framrate.

Sk8ter_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Sk8ter_213
Member since 2003 • 4573 Posts
IMO, 3D = Fail.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I really hope they let you use the DS3 controller for all hardcore games, with the Move as an optional thing. I also hope that the 3-D thing will be optional - if you haven't got a 3-D TV, the games will look just as good as they always have.

Hoping!

Sphire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Sphire
Member since 2004 • 2081 Posts

I really hope they let you use the DS3 controller for all hardcore games, with the Move as an optional thing. I also hope that the 3-D thing will be optional - if you haven't got a 3-D TV, the games will look just as good as they always have.

Hoping!

Jackc8
Indeed that's the way it has to be, otherwise things could go south for sony pretty fast.
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

It's still a gimmick and not even done correctly. I mean come on, buying glasses watching a double image that cost almost $200 a pair? Yeah, way to "change things".

It can't work with games. People already have enough with a 2D screen and there are plenty of warnings around that. How are they going to get away with a FPS with image tricks? Or any game for that matter?

It was enough failing multiple times since the 50's with movies. Video games will only make it much worse...

uso_outkast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 uso_outkast
Member since 2006 • 114 Posts

I feel that the 3d era is being pushed to fast.... We aren't their yet....movies can barely even get it right. Avatar had great 3d but still felt a little wierd at times until your eyes adjusted to it.

But i think that games should really wait until the 3d effect is truly MAstered.

3d usually involves DISTANCE as a factor from your screen. IM guessing everyone would need huge tvs and a proper distance as well to get the full effect.

Were not at the jetsons level yet lol....were still leaving bedrock!

SaaM-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SaaM-x
Member since 2010 • 437 Posts

IMO 3D and motion controlled games are the future. Nobody can deny that. It was the same years back. People would have been saying the same things as they are now but about HD and flat screen TVs. How many people have actually experienced a full HD 3D game or movie? I am lucky enough to have watched a movie on a 3D HDTV not in the cinema either and I must say that it is phenomenal. I can't wait to get my hands on a new 3D TV and games.

gameinfo8956

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gameinfo8956
Member since 2006 • 82 Posts

It's not like you have to use the 3-D feature of the game...you can still play it in regular High-Def. I'm sure that somehow the frame rate stays the same if you're not utilizing the 3-D.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

I'm not into the 3D thing at all, and it's being foisted on a bunch of movies coming out that will cheapen the already not-respected science fiction and horror mediums... it's not important in storytelling, and that's what it'll be thrown up to replace. Mark my words.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

It's a gimmick that'll probably blow over, but the fact that it's a full depth of field rather than a pop-out of screen thing, I really want to see this.

RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RTUUMM
Member since 2008 • 4859 Posts
IMO, 3D = Fail.Sk8ter_213
3D this gen equals fail, but 3D gaming aint so bad. maybe next gen, when the sytems have the actuall 3D feature built in the system then it would be a win, but since the current systems now dont have it built in its not working out so well
Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts

Don't bash it until you've tried it. It might be cool or it might be lame depending on the game entirely.

haze_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 haze_blaze
Member since 2003 • 3907 Posts
Actually, the early reports of 3D being used in KZ3 are overwhelmingly good. It's been described as incredible.... It's also optional. But for those of us able to enjoy it, early previews are saying it ADDS to the experience. And that's the key... video games are a chance to escape and have fun... anything that adds to that experience is a plus, not a minus.
Sk8ter_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sk8ter_213
Member since 2003 • 4573 Posts

The thing that i don't understand is, why do we need to buy a 3D TV when you can just manipulate the 3D image on thedisc so we could watch iton a regular HDTV (LED or LCD). Just buy the cables if needed and the glasses.

hotfiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hotfiree
Member since 2006 • 2185 Posts
Im getting sick of this industry moving so fast in some areas but not others. HD only JUST becomes the standard and now its 3d ( which i have no interest in ) I would have a wii if i wanted motion junk.
xTpux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xTpux
Member since 2010 • 308 Posts

I'm not looking forward to this whole 3D video gaming thing coming soon. Some titles I guess are okay in 3D but not these hardcore FPS games. If people get motion sickness from video gaming right now as it is, imagine it in 3D. x[ Blehh.

Chief9088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Chief9088
Member since 2006 • 441 Posts

IMO 3D and motion controlled games are the future. Nobody can deny that. It was the same years back. People would have been saying the same things as they are now but about HD and flat screen TVs. How many people have actually experienced a full HD 3D game or movie? I am lucky enough to have watched a movie on a 3D HDTV not in the cinema either and I must say that it is phenomenal. I can't wait to get my hands on a new 3D TV and games.

SaaM-x

I respectfully disagree. Motion control can only go so far.. By this I mean; you can use motion control for casual FPS, Racing, Action/Adventure, and a few other genres. You can not use motion control for games like Ninja Gaiden, Street Fighter, GTA and the list could go on. Why is this? Well for one, no one wants to sit and flail around for hours on end while playing any of the aforementioned. Imagine trying to play Ninja Gaiden with motion controls being your only means of control. The thought alone makes me cringe. The gameplay would nosedive almost as fast as the fun factor..(imagine the workout though lol) I could really flesh out my point but it's really late and I'm tired. (Forgive the hit and miss sentence structure/grammar please)

I honestly hope hardcore games on PS3/360 continue to stay unscathed by the silliness that is motion control. I may be the minority when I say this but, I completely lost interest in mario galaxy 2 just because I couldn't use the classic controller. I know, how pathetic right? The same problem occured with Twilight Princess. It's just that when I play videogames I like to relax and sit down with my controller. (No it's not a fitness issue, I'm in very good shape)

Having said all of that, I do enjoy motion control in some scenarios like with wii sports resort (basketball ftw) and Metroid Prime, I just wish a standard controller option would allways be available for those of us who don't want to use the motion control.

I totally wen't all over the place with my post..sorry =/

Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Bangerman15
Member since 2010 • 1978 Posts
sony is trying to bring a real game changer to the table to get out of that 3rd spot in console sales. and they think this will do it... although personally imho i think the move and 3d are both gimmicks that sony will end up losing more money than gaining... most people wont buy the move cuz everyone and their mom owns a wii and 3d is meant to stay in movies and amusement parks... not for games! bot hjust seem right for hardcore games!! well this little phase sony is having wont last too long cuz i really do think and hope 3d and move fail. although downside they will lose lots of money guranteed :/
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
3D is a tried and failed gimmick, and this 3D is just a massive bill. I don't have a problem with motion controls if used properly, people really need to get over this hardcore/casual nonsense. Its you either make a good game with solid controls that enhances or at least doesn't retract from the experience, or you don't; simple as that.
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#20 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Sony move looks pointless, and 3D will just be horrible. I'll keep buying games in regular format

ninjanutta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ninjanutta
Member since 2008 • 180 Posts

everyone is knocking 3d gaming but none of you know what its like,this will be brilliant imo,its 3d done with lcd shutter glasses that react with the screen so its going to be far more advanced,im getting a 3d tv this year,ive got faith in the tech,ive heard nothing but good things said by the people that have tried it

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I dont want to play games in 3D and i can't play games if i'm wearing those stupid glasses and i've just bought a new HDTV so there is no way i'm splashing out on a 3D tv i really hope 3d gaming doesn't take off i mean isn'st playing games in high def good enough.

Melpoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#23 Melpoe
Member since 2009 • 3635 Posts

Epic....

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#24 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

I don't much care for 3D technology. Whenever I say that I get assaulted and labelled a luddite. Although no one ever listens to my reasoning.

To me, 3D is a pretty tired gimmick. There isn't anything impressive about it. To me, it gives the appearance of a box over a box. I'm still well aware I'm watching a screen and it doesn't bring me into the universe at all. I find that the engaging movies and games grab my attention and suck me in when a really gripping and amazing storyline is present. That's become secondary in our generation. I found Avatar, while visually impressive, to be a really boring and unoriginal storyline. It got to the point where I was waiting for it to be over so I could leave and eat Burger King. Assassin's Creed 2 involved me for the entire duration from sheer storytelling and interest to what would happen next. I don't see that game becoming more involving just because Ezio is kinda sorta coming off screen.

3D is also false advertising. 3D technology should be called Pop Up technology. When I go to a theater and I have to turn my entire head left or right to see what's going on, then I'll be impressed. Until then, I'll just keep looking for story and well developed characters.

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

i got to check out AVATAR the video game today at work on a 3D TV (samsung) on xbox 360. this game actually has a 3D mode built in to take adavtage of the TV. Don't knock it before you try it! it looks fantastic and ran without any hitches. pity about the actual game though.....

Avatar image for deactivated-5a22550b94008
deactivated-5a22550b94008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5a22550b94008
Member since 2009 • 426 Posts

At least in my opinion, it's got that neat feature of wow at first but soon after I just want to use a regular controller. They are putting this into to many of their games, LBP is good but Killzone 3, GT5, Socom 4, no no no! even if they work will, its already said 3D will slow the framrate.

SiKh22

3D has been shown to require some downscaling when converting an older 2D game to 3D, but running brand new games in 3D won't slow down frame rates.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

everyone is knocking 3d gaming but none of you know what its like,this will be brilliant imo,its 3d done with lcd shutter glasses that react with the screen so its going to be far more advanced,im getting a 3d tv this year,ive got faith in the tech,ive heard nothing but good things said by the people that have tried it

ninjanutta

A fair point, as with all other tech (like the Wii, DS, and other confusing concepts put to good use after the dust settled)... I am interested to see what it does for GT5 in that distance and interval are key aspects of motorsport in general, I just don't want it to become the norm instead of the exception and I think when given a crutch a lot of devs will abuse it. All of the shovelware on the Wii and DS are case-in-point: Tons of games utilizing the tech to very poor (and sometimes completely unneccesary) effect.

It's the New Hotness. I'll give it some time, but I'm on the skeptical side and I'm not investing in the tech until some sort of standard shakes out (HD-DVD, anyone?)

Thanks for kicking me back into perspective, you have a fine point!

KamuiFei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#28 KamuiFei
Member since 2003 • 4334 Posts

Instead of motion controls and 3d. How about just really great games? All this money being spent on flashy gimmicks and 3d tech, but whats the point if the games are gonna be mediocre? I'm not saying KZ3 is gonna suck, I think it'll be good considering how vast the FPS genre is. But seriously, we aren't there yet. I imagined the next gen of gaming would be complete 4d graphics (4th dimension is time, for those that don't know), and then maybe 3d imaginery. The industry is trying to run before they can crawl if you ask me.

successful19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 successful19
Member since 2009 • 307 Posts

i hate this whole 3d and motion control thing, i just hope they don't make it manditory to play with on games

sk8code14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 sk8code14
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

i think Sony is wasting their time with 3D, 3D is not cool anymore.

JuanJo_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#31 JuanJo_H
Member since 2008 • 185 Posts

The thing that i don't understand is, why do we need to buy a 3D TV when you can just manipulate the 3D image on thedisc so we could watch iton a regular HDTV (LED or LCD). Just buy the cables if needed and the glasses.

Sk8ter_213

So, you are saying that, with the upgrade for PS3, the 3D game, a HDTV and a pair of 3D glasses we can enjoy 3D gaming. Are you sure?, because many people says that you need both, 3D TV and 3D glasses together. Do you have the source I would like to tell that to some very interested friends... :D

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

^^not possible on current tv's without crazy glasses that would be super expenisve anyway and not look any good at all (a la nintendo's first foray into 3D the Virtual Boy)

zmbi_gmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 zmbi_gmr
Member since 2008 • 3590 Posts

[QUOTE="Jackc8"]

Hoping!

Sphire

Indeed that's the way it has to be, otherwise things could go south for sony pretty fast.

all i read out of these posts were game delays do to innovations that we really don't want or need. developers will need to perfect games for both controller schemes which will take time and money, and then on top of it all they will need to get the game to run smooth regardless if it's 3D or not. i, for one, am not excited for these changes...

Chilloutcolin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Chilloutcolin
Member since 2010 • 91 Posts

I'm really looking forward to 3d gaming, I think its the next step in integration to games. I'd say 3d movies are a bit of a gimmick, especially the way every piece of crap released since avatar has boasted 3D and suck. I'm surprised at all the negative comments about 3d considering I'm so hyped. The price is killer alright though. Gonna take quite a bit o saving to get it. Also i hope they dont release 3d only games, that would suck

As for motion control, I couldn't care less. When I can be placed into a 3d world(fully) and walk around and fight enemies using my own movements/hands, then I'll care.

vincent380

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35 vincent380
Member since 2003 • 2244 Posts

I think 3D will great im all for it if its done correctly. You guys are acting like all the games will be in 3D i believe it will be a choice to do it or not.. I believe 3D is the future sure alot of people wont buy the TVs and things like that at first because of the price and most people dont need them. But im pretty confident it will catch on like Blu Ray has. I think some gamers wont accept change which is fine since they arent forcing you to play 3D.

I just think about great games like Uncharted & Baynoetta i cant imagine how amazing that would be in 3D.