Sony to unveil PS2 store at E3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LuckyLy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 LuckyLy
Member since 2008 • 1987 Posts

"I was speaking to a friend last night on MSN who works at Sony London. I was actually asking him about the new XMB update, and if he knows when it'll be out. He told me it was scheduled to launch E3, but more interesting was his info on a new Playstation 2 Store that'll also be announced at E3 too! Basically Sonys answer to Xbox Originals. He even sent me a pic, ive uploaded it here:"

http://forums.n4g.com/m_170267/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#170269

Holy s*** if true. I want The Bouncer.

4koi9hw.gif Girl image by Luckyly90

Nightflash28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Nightflash28
Member since 2004 • 2351 Posts

Awesome if true, but I don't see that happening.

Even if, are they games then going to come in as slow as the PS1 titles?
That's my one major gripe about the PS Store: the lack of old PS games.

LuckyLy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LuckyLy
This year E3 is going to be huge for Sony.
Avatar image for ChrisMoneyMaker
ChrisMoneyMaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 ChrisMoneyMaker
Member since 2007 • 251 Posts

there should be more playstation games on the playstation store but ps2 games be huge on the store like MGS2 Sony beefing up the online part like they should

PSN:ChrisMoneyMakerX

mbrockway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mbrockway
Member since 2007 • 3560 Posts
Wow. That would be pretty amazing. I don't believe it, but that would be awesome.
Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts
As much as I want it, it won't matter because Sony doesn't even seem able to release PS1 games on the store...imagine if their average of 1 game a month had to be split between PS2 and PS1. Yikes!
Rhen_Var

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#7 Rhen_Var
Member since 2006 • 12422 Posts
Well hopefully this is real and P4 would be posted up so people would quit gripping and complaining how it's on PS2.
dangerd0g24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dangerd0g24
Member since 2008 • 1455 Posts
how are people not believing this it is the obvious Microsoft did it so why cant sony? i believe you 100%.
dangerd0g24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dangerd0g24
Member since 2008 • 1455 Posts
i imagine that these PS2 games will also run on the 40 gig, right right?
-oG-ShAdY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 -oG-ShAdY
Member since 2006 • 1385 Posts

"I was speaking to a friend last night on MSN who works at Sony London. I was actually asking him about the new XMB update, and if he knows when it'll be out. He told me it was scheduled to launch E3, but more interesting was his info on a new Playstation 2 Store that'll also be announced at E3 too! Basically Sonys answer to Xbox Originals. He even sent me a pic, ive uploaded it here:"

LuckyLy

Is that an EyeToy game I see there? Wow! I'm sorry but those games where actually fun compared to the stuff that's out now. I might just be getting myself a few. That is... if this is true. Good stuff though. The Year of the Playstation has begun!

mbrockway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mbrockway
Member since 2007 • 3560 Posts

Well hopefully this is real and P4 would be posted up so people would quit gripping and complaining how it's on PS2.Rhen_Var

Persona 4 comes out in 10 days!! Sucks we gotta wait for translation though. I hadn't realized till I saw the preview boxes out in Shinjuku.

[QUOTE="LuckyLy"]

-oG-ShAdY

Is that an EyeToy game I see there? Wow! I'm sorry but those games where actually fun compared to the stuff that's out now. I might just be getting myself a few. That is... if this is true. Good stuff though. The Year of the Playstation has begun!

Thats Fantavision, a PS2 launch title involving fireworks.

ShamrockRovers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ShamrockRovers
Member since 2006 • 1441 Posts
They haven't even released all of the PS1 classics and they are already moving to PS2 games:shock:
d_ano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 1

#14 d_ano
Member since 2005 • 2522 Posts
i was almost ready to believe this when i saw that mgs2 cost 12.99 pound which means that this is the eu store. there is not a hope in hell that europe will get ps2 games before or even at the same time as us we are lucky to get ps3 demos over here its a great idea but i just cant see it happening
bigLLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bigLLL
Member since 2005 • 3688 Posts
lol this must be true? there is a bloody pic and it's obvious that it isnt a photoshop job? this is great news!!!
j-bldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 j-bldes
Member since 2003 • 443 Posts
I have all the Ps2 games I want, except for Silent Hill 3. I mean, come on it's so damn hard to find D:. But, the true original I would like to see them release on the PSN, is MGS1. It's hard to find a mint copy, to which I am still looking for. But once I find it, I don't wanna gunk it up :(
adam_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 adam_53
Member since 2005 • 298 Posts
that was a good point earlier. the 40gb's dont have the emotion enginge or whatever its called to play ps2 games. unless the founda way to get around that i dont see WHY they'd do it, i feel like there are more 40gb's than the other versions
DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8785 Posts
How many gigs would one of these games take up? Probably close to a gig, no?
skrillalover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 skrillalover
Member since 2003 • 1348 Posts

that was a good point earlier. the 40gb's dont have the emotion enginge or whatever its called to play ps2 games. unless the founda way to get around that i dont see WHY they'd do it, i feel like there are more 40gb's than the other versionsadam_53

i dont know too much about how emulation works in general or in the ps3's case in particular. however, i do know they can package a specific emulator with each ps2 title so that that title will be able to work on the ps3 even if it is the 40gig and lacks the traditional means of BC.

i seriously hope this is true, there are a bunch of games i would love to have ready to go waiting for me on my hard-drive.

Asim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Asim90
Member since 2005 • 3692 Posts
If this is true I'm guessing the titles will run through software emulation meaning that us Europeans can finally play PS2 games. If this turns out to be true and is compatible with 40GB's I'm one happy chap. Its sucks not being able to upscale PS2 games on a HD TV, anyone thats tried connecting a PS2 to a large HD tv will no that the quality becomes horrendous.
LuckyLy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LuckyLy

I have all the Ps2 games I want, except for Silent Hill 3. I mean, come on it's so damn hard to find D:. But, the true original I would like to see them release on the PSN, is MGS1. It's hard to find a mint copy, to which I am still looking for. But once I find it, I don't wanna gunk it up :(j-bldes

I saw a mint copy of Silent Hill 3 at Sears for $9.

Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts

How many gigs would one of these games take up? Probably close to a gig, no?DEVILinIRON

Depending on the game...some first gen PS2 games were shipped on CD, so even less than a gig. But some games take up more than a single DVD...so it will vary wildly (if true).

Avatar image for deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
Member since 2005 • 7222 Posts

This year E3 is going to be huge for Sony.LuckyLy

Yep.

sam_nintendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sam_nintendo
Member since 2005 • 2066 Posts

that was a good point earlier. the 40gb's dont have the emotion enginge or whatever its called to play ps2 games. unless the founda way to get around that i dont see WHY they'd do it, i feel like there are more 40gb's than the other versionsadam_53

The 80 GB doesn't have the emotion chip either. Backwards compatibility on a 40 GB is totally possible, it has the same hardware as the 80 GB.

Rhen_Var

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#25 Rhen_Var
Member since 2006 • 12422 Posts

[QUOTE="Rhen_Var"]Well hopefully this is real and P4 would be posted up so people would quit gripping and complaining how it's on PS2.mbrockway

Persona 4 comes out in 10 days!! Sucks we gotta wait for translation though. I hadn't realized till I saw the preview boxes out in Shinjuku.

I know what you mean, the earliest for it to come localized is late 08, though I've been getting a headset for all the updates, looking like an awesome must have for PS2.

LuckyLy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LuckyLy
[QUOTE="mbrockway"]

[QUOTE="Rhen_Var"]Well hopefully this is real and P4 would be posted up so people would quit gripping and complaining how it's on PS2.Rhen_Var

I know what you mean, the earliest for it to come localized is late 08, though I've been getting a headset for all the updates, looking like an awesome must have for PS2.

Are Persona's game that good? I haven't tried any.

piano_pimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 piano_pimp
Member since 2005 • 759 Posts
why pay 13 pounds for a digital copy when you can get it for 3 used?
Avatar image for kenshinhimura16
kenshinhimura16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 kenshinhimura16
Member since 2005 • 7009 Posts
[QUOTE="Rhen_Var"][QUOTE="mbrockway"]

[QUOTE="Rhen_Var"]Well hopefully this is real and P4 would be posted up so people would quit gripping and complaining how it's on PS2.LuckyLy

Not just good, great!!. But they are really hard as the previous SMT games (heavily based on strategy and weakness control) and they are not for everyone. Im guessing that since the elements are the same, P4 will also be heavily Japanese influenced so for those who cant stand japanese culture it may be a letdown.

LuckyLy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LuckyLy
[QUOTE="LuckyLy"][QUOTE="Rhen_Var"][QUOTE="mbrockway"]

[QUOTE="Rhen_Var"]Well hopefully this is real and P4 would be posted up so people would quit gripping and complaining how it's on PS2.kenshinhimura16

Not just good, great!!. But they are really hard as the previous SMT games (heavily based on strategy and weakness control) and they are not for everyone. Im guessing that since the elements are the same, P4 will also be heavily Japanese influenced so for those who cant stand japanese culture it may be a letdown.

I always loved JRPG, I will definitely look into it.

CosmoKing7717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CosmoKing7717
Member since 2004 • 4602 Posts

[QUOTE="adam_53"]that was a good point earlier. the 40gb's dont have the emotion enginge or whatever its called to play ps2 games. unless the founda way to get around that i dont see WHY they'd do it, i feel like there are more 40gb's than the other versionssam_nintendo

The 80 GB doesn't have the emotion chip either. Backwards compatibility on a 40 GB is totally possible, it has the same hardware as the 80 GB.

No the 80 gig still has hardware for the GPU just not the CPU...
king23_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#31 king23_
Member since 2007 • 18169 Posts
Nice. I hope there's some good games for good prices.
timoton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 timoton
Member since 2005 • 561 Posts
that would be cool but hopefully the titles won't be overpriced.
eric252

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 eric252
Member since 2008 • 594 Posts
I would be very happy. I missed out on a lot of PS2 games because I was about 12 when I had mine so I didn't really play any of the good games.
Avatar image for PPresentFortune
PPresentFortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PPresentFortune
Member since 2007 • 981 Posts
If this is real it's simply amazing and is definitely the sort of stuff Sony needs to do to contend against the Xbox 360.
cifru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 cifru
Member since 2005 • 2211 Posts

But the 40gb ps3 can't read ps2 games :cry: or the DISKS? :o

LuckyLy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LuckyLy

But the 40gb ps3 can't read ps2 games :cry: or the DISKS? :o

cifru

If the store is true then each PS2 games will come with their own emulator.

email2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 email2003
Member since 2004 • 3529 Posts

Good thing I still have my good old 20GB PS3, 80GB HDD now, that doesn't run on emulation for PS2 games.

Downloading PS2 games online? Aren't PS2 games 2GB - 4GB in size?

KH-mixerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#38 KH-mixerX
Member since 2007 • 5702 Posts

how are people not believing this it is the obvious Microsoft did it so why cant sony? i believe you 100%.dangerd0g24

Same here. That picture he provided is pretty convincing.

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts
Sounds good to me. Sony is finally stepping up.
SiKh22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SiKh22
Member since 2006 • 4661 Posts
wait! what happens to the 40Gb people, will a firmware update that was "rumored" come out? woould be awesome if alot of RPG's came out and those PSN card's!
LuckyLy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LuckyLy

wait! what happens to the 40Gb people, will a firmware update that was "rumored" come out? woould be awesome if alot of RPG's came out and those PSN card's!SiKh22

The downloadable PS2 games will come with its own emulator so even if you have the 40GB version it will work.

ethanpaige

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ethanpaige
Member since 2005 • 13100 Posts
Hope so. This would be great news
ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ikwal
Member since 2004 • 1600 Posts
I would be so happy if the downloaded PS2 games work on the 40gb model. They should be able to do that by including some emulation software with an update. I'm dying to play MGS3 and GoW 1-2.
Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
That would be hella awesome. I would buy some games I missed if that came out. I can see them doing this in the future.
LuckyLy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LuckyLy
I thought everybody knew the PS2 store was going to happen sooner or later. Why is everyone acting so surprise?
catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts

Good thing I still have my good old 20GB PS3, 80GB HDD now, that doesn't run on emulation for PS2 games.

Downloading PS2 games online? Aren't PS2 games 2GB - 4GB in size?

email2003

Same can be said about HD movie downloads. Either way, it's gonna take a heck of a long time to download.