Sony responds to 2.40 being Pulled (LINKED)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

redskins2156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 redskins2156
Member since 2007 • 2553 Posts

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/02/sony-responds-to-adverse-firmware-2-40-effects/

redskins2156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 redskins2156
What about the people that have already done the update? I'd better back up my ps3 data than.
Avatar image for The_Dark_Jester
The_Dark_Jester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 The_Dark_Jester
Member since 2003 • 1649 Posts
Wow this is the first I have heard of this. I hope mine doesn't get all messed up, as I just sent my 360 in for repairs.
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
So what do we who downloaded it do?
Avatar image for The_Dark_Jester
The_Dark_Jester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 The_Dark_Jester
Member since 2003 • 1649 Posts
is it affecting everyone or just some?
redskins2156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 redskins2156
So what do we who downloaded it do?Duckman5
redskins2156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 redskins2156
2.40 isn't giving me any problems. I'm sure they'll release a new firmware update this week.
TheSonOfUgly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 TheSonOfUgly
Member since 2007 • 1483 Posts

The majority of the problem is right after its downloaded and istalled instead of going to the XMB it just stays at the wave thing.

so if youve installed and it works, dont worry

oh yeah ive installed and it works perfectly, already got some trophys too

HardbodyHank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HardbodyHank
Member since 2008 • 142 Posts
I downloaded mine to a flashdrive, was gonna install it later..glad I waited LOL
Avatar image for deactivated-58319077a6477
deactivated-58319077a6477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-58319077a6477
Member since 2007 • 4954 Posts
Ok I downloaded this update early this afternoon and had no problem, but now I'm starting to get worried that it might damage my PS3.
farleybt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 farleybt
Member since 2007 • 396 Posts
Yep, this sucks... I was so ready after a long day at work...
FearTheRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FearTheRain
Member since 2008 • 1470 Posts

It's not Sony's fault.....It's the fanboys' fault.

They have been nagging Sony for so long to release this update....So Sony finally just said **** it and released the update in BETA form.

Of course about a few hours later.....tens of thousands of PS3 owners now have a useless black box with lights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmLFt4o6DyY

Sony is offering to repair these consoles....which is good.

Atleast we don't have to sue them to get service. ;)

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
So far so good, but then I leave my PS3 on 24/7 and it hasn't had to boot-up other than the restart after the update. So I should be safe until the update to fix this problem is up and running.
ag_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ag_8
Member since 2003 • 324 Posts
No problems here. I have a launch PS3.
TheSonOfUgly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheSonOfUgly

They have been nagging Sony for so long to release this update....So Sony finally just said **** it and released the update in BETA form.

Of course about a few hours later.....tens of thousands of PS3 owners now have a useless black box with lights.

FearTheRain

well in defense of the fanboys, sony has said from launch that the ps3 was going to get this update

v_rfranco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 v_rfranco
Member since 2004 • 282 Posts
im kinda glad that the update went good on my 80gb but now im worried since i have some icons with the ? symbol on them :?
TheSonOfUgly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheSonOfUgly

im kinda glad that the update went good on my 80gb but now im worried since i have some icons with the ? symbol on them :?v_rfranco

do you have a different theme? cu that would be it, the theme wouldnt know what the new icons are and would replace it w/ a ?

-DeStijl-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -DeStijl-
Member since 2007 • 540 Posts

I downloaded mine to a flashdrive, was gonna install it later..glad I waited LOLHardbodyHank

You should post the update file on the internet so other people can download it.

Avatar image for -ArchAngeL-777-
-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 -ArchAngeL-777-
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts
Mine has worked fine. I downloaded it and have made a point to actually use the in game XMB while playing Bad Company.
v_rfranco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 v_rfranco

[QUOTE="v_rfranco"]im kinda glad that the update went good on my 80gb but now im worried since i have some icons with the ? symbol on them :?TheSonOfUgly

do you have a different theme? cu that would be it, the theme wouldnt know what the new icons are and would replace it w/ a ?

could b that cus i have the MGS 4 theme, but the icons that r missing r the ones for playlists, internet search (the new service), and trophies.

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts

FearTheRain
It's not our fault that in almost 2 years sony couldn't deliver what everyone wanted bug free. This is gettin ridiculous.
Avatar image for sinistergoggles
sinistergoggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 sinistergoggles
Member since 2005 • 9919 Posts
Oh man.. I didn't realize there was issues with the update. Mine updated just fine last night and I was use it after.
Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts
i had no problems all last night with it.. i have a 60gb launch console.
mffmiguel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mffmiguel
Member since 2005 • 485 Posts

I have a launch PS3 with a 160 gig drive, downloaded the 2.40 last night at like 11:30 and have been playing MGS4, Uncharted and Call of Duty periodically ever since, really haven't had any problems. So what is Sony going to do? Ever since I started reading all this I dont wanna turn my PS3 back on, Am I safe? should I just continue gaming?

DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts
[QUOTE="TheSonOfUgly"]

[QUOTE="v_rfranco"]im kinda glad that the update went good on my 80gb but now im worried since i have some icons with the ? symbol on them :?v_rfranco

could b that cus i have the MGS 4 theme, but the icons that r missing r the ones for playlists, internet search (the new service), and trophies.

Wargasm_No1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Wargasm_No1
Member since 2008 • 72 Posts
I've had no problem with the firmware update so far, everything's running smoothley.
jyoung312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jyoung312
Member since 2003 • 4971 Posts
i have it and it doesnt freeze but it won't log me into psn
MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#28 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts
I'm not having any issues here.
Yankeese411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Yankeese411
Member since 2008 • 93 Posts
i just got the update this morning and it works fine. i hope it stays fine
shadystxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 shadystxxx
Member since 2005 • 2158 Posts

What about the people that have already done the update? I'd better back up my ps3 data than.redskins2156

Yeah i already have it, so far its been working fine although i only played for 40 mins on super stardust, im a little scared to boot up my ps3.

Im surprised i even got the download i only updated my ps3 at 6pm gmt wednesday, i assume it got taken down after that.

Its a bit of a pi** take that this happens with updates didnt they test it ALLOT before releasing it to the public, i will be annoyed if my system bricks, so if it does happen i need to remove my hdd and format it using my pc then have to download(and downloading from psn is always slow i have a 16mb connection so it shouldnt be) warhawk,GT5P and 9 dlc games, well i suppose i can save some of my save files and what not with a memstick, but i only have a 1gb stick, oh i have a 4gb memory stick in my psp, oh well its not that bad hopefully i can put the dlc games on that then transfer it back after the format, lets just hope our systems do not brake.

TheSonOfUgly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TheSonOfUgly
[QUOTE="TheSonOfUgly"]

[QUOTE="v_rfranco"]im kinda glad that the update went good on my 80gb but now im worried since i have some icons with the ? symbol on them :?v_rfranco

Yep those are the ones im missing too. if you want a them as icons either use the default theme or get a new up-to-date one. or your can always make your own

Avatar image for CorporateHammer
CorporateHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CorporateHammer
Member since 2007 • 992 Posts

40gig no issues.

I was wondering those of you having issues do you have your PS3 set to autolaunch games? and was there a disc in the drive?

tom_woolley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tom_woolley
Member since 2007 • 223 Posts

I have a 40gb PS3 with firmware 2.4 and it runs fine, only problem being that the icons take about 2secs to load when playing call of duty online and activating the XrossMediaBar.

tom_woolley

-DeStijl-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 -DeStijl-
Member since 2007 • 540 Posts

[QUOTE="redskins2156"]What about the people that have already done the update? I'd better back up my ps3 data than.shadystxxx

Yeah i already have it, so far its been working fine although i only played for 40 mins on super stardust, im a little scared to boot up my ps3.

Im surprised i even got the download i only updated my ps3 at 6pm gmt wednesday, i assume it got taken down after that.

Its a bit of a pi** take that this happens with updates didnt they test it ALLOT before releasing it to the public, i will be annoyed if my system bricks, so if it does happen i need to remove my hdd and format it using my ps3 then have to download(and downloading from psn is always slow i have a 16mb connection so it shouldnt be) warhawk,GT5P and 9 dlc games, well i suppose i can save some of my save files and what not with a memstick, but i only have a 1gb stick, oh i have a 4gb memory stick in my psp, oh well its not that bad hopefully i can put the dlc games on that then transfer it back after the format, lets just hope our systems do not brake.

Can you upload the 2.4 update file?

tatu2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tatu2004
Member since 2004 • 17173 Posts
Ok I downloaded this update early this afternoon and had no problem, but now I'm starting to get worried that it might damage my PS3.Star650
yeah same here..
v_rfranco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 v_rfranco
[QUOTE="v_rfranco"][QUOTE="TheSonOfUgly"]

[QUOTE="v_rfranco"]im kinda glad that the update went good on my 80gb but now im worried since i have some icons with the ? symbol on them :?TheSonOfUgly

Yep those are the ones im missing too. if you want a them as icons either use the default theme or get a new up-to-date one. or your can always make your own

yeah ill proly do that... off topic y do u want to cut ppl in pieces y dont u just blow them up into pieces?

d_ano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 1

#37 d_ano
Member since 2005 • 2522 Posts

aww no way. the ps3 is such a piece of $***. people say the ps3 is great it has such a low fail rate..yea it had a low fail rate back when 100 consoles were sold now that we are near 10million we are really starting too see the ps3 for what it really is...a piece of junk. blu ray drives constantly breaking, hard drives not working with the ps3, 3 beeps, yellow light and many other software errors such as this. i have completely lost faith in the ps3.

if sony really do pull this update and take trophies back away from me i will go mad. i have waited months for this. i was looking forward to home for trophies home was delayed, i was looking forward to 2.? and it never came finally rumours came and i waited for ages and now i finally have it.....for 24 hours and soon it will be taken away. i cant believe this.

why cant cony keep us in the loop with this stuff its not fair. so many people slag the 360 about the rrod when the system they have is just as bad because it fails 10 different ways. my ps3 broke before on an update and sony said they would replace it. my friend had a ps3 it stopped reading discs and he now has to pay 250 euro to get it fixed.

i hope this is simply a 360 fanboy rumour. every ps3 update has caused a few peoples ps3s to act up. mine was 1 in a update that didnt effect many others.

if sony force us to roll back our firmware then i expect to see an update within a few days containing trophys again...sadly i cant say or else because sony have my money for my ps3 and my warranty is ended but still im sick of this. as i said already today this is probably our own doing, sony wanted to release at e3 in 3 weeks..3 weeks to further tweak the update aswell as give the devs 3 weeks to prepare patches for their games to support trophys.

im sure this is just happening to a small number of people. they are just freaking out over it because its a HUGE update. i didnt go to any forums when my ps3 broke i went straight to sony

im gonna keep my fingers crossed

TheSonOfUgly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TheSonOfUgly
[QUOTE="TheSonOfUgly"][QUOTE="v_rfranco"][QUOTE="TheSonOfUgly"]

yeah ill proly do that... off topic y do u want to cut ppl in pieces y dont u just blow them up into pieces?

Haha, its from a song.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts
I just tested turning on my ps3 3 times and it booted up fine each time.
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts
Wow, I am glad my ps3 did not brick.
Ipik_Fenris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ipik_Fenris
Member since 2005 • 3627 Posts
i think we should wait for a fix ( we who havent downloaded firmware 2.40 ), so Sony can release a patch or something....or fix the same 2.40
Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#42 Symphonycometh
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts
Scary. I'm happy I dodged this upgrade to play MGS4 instead.
Sk8ter_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Sk8ter_213
Member since 2003 • 4573 Posts
hhmm that sucks for those who don't have it, i downloaded mine last night and works fine
djuanman25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 djuanman25
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
2.40 isn't giving me any problems. I'm sure they'll release a new firmware update this week. Listen U bot......Im sure if they do that I wont be able to get it.....its a BLACK SCREEN NO CHOICE FOR ANYTHING.........so what good is that redskin???? NO GOOD JUST LIKE UR ROBOT ANSWER take ur mouth off Conys Sock and shut ur face
sizzlingdviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 sizzlingdviper
Member since 2004 • 1818 Posts
So what do we who downloaded it do?Duckman5
There will probrably be another update patch to fix