Sony replaces your broken Fat with a Slim for a fee?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

I read that Sony can replace your Fat PS3 (I think only the ones with BC) for a Slim for $130 or so. Since I've seen lots of post of broken PS3s here, I was wondering if any of you experienced this? Did they replace your Fat PS3 with a Slim? I know if you're out of warranty even if you open it up they can fix your Fat or give you a refurbish for $160+, but I was wondering if you open your out of warranty Fat will they still offer you the Slim trade in?

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
I hope not, the fats are superior.
gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Another question, for those who opened their PS3 to clean the lens, did it voide the warranty stickers or whatever somehow, or you can clean the lens without voiding anything?

evlnoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 evlnoodle
Member since 2006 • 359 Posts

Another question, for those who opened their PS3 to clean the lens, did it voide the warranty stickers or whatever somehow, or you can clean the lens without voiding anything?

gago-gago
I didn't get this option when my 60gig broke and yes to open the ps3 you have to remove the warrenty sticker
TheEldestGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheEldestGod
Member since 2010 • 4142 Posts
Wow, that would be such a crappy deal. I hope my backwards compatible 80gb (upgraded to 500gb) lives forever!
Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#6 Symphonycometh
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts
I hope not, the fats are superior.Fightingfan
Exactly. To choose a slim over a fat is to trade off quality for looks. (That or you place more confidence the Slims won't break 3 years from now.)
TheEldestGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheEldestGod
Member since 2010 • 4142 Posts
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]I hope not, the fats are superior.Symphonycometh
Exactly. To choose a slim over a fat is to trade off quality for looks. (That or you place more confidence the Slims won't break 3 years from now.)

Or in this case trade off quality and looks for a lack there of.
Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Symphonycometh
[QUOTE="Symphonycometh"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"]I hope not, the fats are superior.TheEldestGod

Or in this case trade off quality and looks for a lack there of.

lol. I was trying to be "fair" to those slim lovers by saying that at least it has looks. :P
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Hardly. They're big and clunky. They don't support bitstreaming over HDMI either. Pretty weak if you ask me. Of course not everyone has a sound system.
Avatar image for deactivated-641bd8d21037b
deactivated-641bd8d21037b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-641bd8d21037b
Member since 2009 • 514 Posts
yeah, mine has wayyyyy more features than a slim
nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]I hope not, the fats are superior.KHAndAnime
Hardly. They're big and clunky. They don't support bitstreaming over HDMI either. Pretty weak if you ask me. Of course not everyone has a sound system.

Wait, what do you mean? You can't do surround sound or something on the slim? What about for blu rays?
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"]I hope not, the fats are superior.nightshade869

Wait, what do you mean? You can't do surround sound or something on the slim? What about for blu rays?

yeah i didnt understand that either, the fats have everything the slims do. Even if you havea 40gb or 80gb ps3 yours is superior for some reason you can't install linux, windows 95 or window 98 on the slims.
Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Symphonycometh
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]I hope not, the fats are superior.KHAndAnime

True. More people have PS2 games.
JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts
sony replaces ur fat for a slim 120gb if ur not under warranty for 119 dollars. and if u are under warranty why would u wanna lol they both do the same thing
Avatar image for batman_is_aweso
batman_is_aweso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 batman_is_aweso
Member since 2009 • 2762 Posts

i am with this post 11292382483274823748923748%

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

I will never get rid of my original classic Ps3 phat.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

If my 60gig PS3 ever breaks again (hopefully not) I would never request a Slim as a replacement. Even if offered for free. I would ask for my 60gig.

shabab12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 shabab12
Member since 2007 • 2613 Posts
Ive got a fat so i dont get how you can make that statement. YLOD in the Fats is almost as big as RROD just sony has been able to cover it up well.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

How exactly are the fat superior to slim? I own one but I thought slim draws less power and therefore less heat generated?

Justincor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 Justincor
Member since 2008 • 151 Posts

I own a Fat and my brother recently got a slim (i am off at college so it is not weird to have 2) and i want one so bad. The fat is so big and heavy it is a pain in the ass to transport, if mine ever breaks i am without a doubt requesting a slim. I also hate the stupid Spiderman writing on the fat, the new logo is way better.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"]I hope not, the fats are superior.nightshade869

No, it's the Fats that are limited in the surround department. Not all Fats have BC either. Only the older ones do I believe. The ones that will eventually all die by the YLOD,

wulfshelmut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wulfshelmut
Member since 2009 • 77 Posts

I noticed someone mention cleaning the lense? I guess sonys PS3 is also having DREs. LOL

Its funny they barely fixed it with the ps2 now the ps3 suffers the same thing. It makes me glad I dont own any of these "next gen" systems. They seem to have all the problems of the past at higher costs. No thanks. Money is tight nowadays and I dont have any to blow on cheap junk.

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts
I wouldnt want to trade my 60 for a slim either. I enjoy having 4 USB ports and a multimedia reader and especially playing PS2 games unless they start rereleasing more greatest hits remastered like for GoW. Metal Gear Solid remastered would be awesome. Especially if they atleast took the graphics from the GC Twin Snakes version.
hodges_3_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 hodges_3_5
Member since 2008 • 351 Posts

I noticed someone mention cleaning the lense? I guess sonys PS3 is also having DREs. LOL

Its funny they barely fixed it with the ps2 now the ps3 suffers the same thing. It makes me glad I dont own any of these "next gen" systems. They seem to have all the problems of the past at higher costs. No thanks. Money is tight nowadays and I dont have any to blow on cheap junk.

wulfshelmut

why are you on here then?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a22550b94008
deactivated-5a22550b94008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5a22550b94008
Member since 2009 • 426 Posts

I like my fat model, but I don't rabidly support it like a self satisfying douche. If you have BC then that's obviously a big reason to keep your fat... if not, there isn't much else. The slim model is actually better for setups with a true sound system.

YLOD in the Fats is almost as big as RROD just sony has been able to cover it up well. shabab12
LMFAO I want whatever you're taking. PS3 isn't even close to 360's over 50% failure rate, even if you're only considering the BC models.

Bunnyslippers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bunnyslippers
Member since 2003 • 2171 Posts

My 60GB PS3 died the day before my birthday on dec 27 '09. I am still waiting for A PS3. 60GB or the slim version, I am hoping Sony wont send me the slim version. My reasons why the original PS3 is better:
- 4 usb ports

- flash cardrreader for viewing photo's
- bc PS2 games
- looks better with chrome finish and shiny look.

Some photos I took off my now dead PS3.

jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
First time I've heard about this.. my bc 80 GB doesn't play PS3 since fw 3.xx. Would I trade it in for a slim that seems more dependable and actually plays games? Yes, yes I would.. if I was under warranty? No, not at all. That's just plain stupid..
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts
My 60GB PS3 died the day before my birthday on dec 27 '09. I am still waiting for A PS3. 60GB or the slim version, I am hoping Sony wont send me the slim version. My reasons why the original PS3 is better: - 4 usb ports- flash cardrreader for viewing photo's
- bc PS2 games
- looks better with chrome finish and shiny look.Some photos I took off my now dead PS3.Bunnyslippers
I feel your pain. My PS3 broke Christmas Eve :(. On topic: I prefer the fats more and $130 to upgrade to a Slim is way too much.
Roman_Irishman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 Roman_Irishman
Member since 2007 • 29493 Posts

OMG that is a TERRIBLE deal!

I would never trade the look, BC or USB ports on mine for a lame slim model, thats just plain stupid!

BTW I dont understand that sound thing at all, I have a 7.1 sound system hooked up with HDMI and all my speakers work just fine playing either games or movies.

13C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 13C
Member since 2010 • 1024 Posts

How exactly are the fat superior to slim? I own one but I thought slim draws less power and therefore less heat generated?

Gxgear

this.

therefore ps3 slim >160gb ps3 > 80gbps3> 40gb ps3

but the phats with b/C

20/60/80 motorstorm

are better then slim