Sony must update battery, lengthen cord in future.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

XspidervenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By XspidervenomX
Member since 2011 • 372 Posts

I have my 6ft ps3 power cord in a drawer. I got it in a skin pack. Its long enough to use from the couch (barely)but usually I charge my controller during a movie.

My short PS4 power cable is hanging out the front on the floor. The batter has already gone dead though a gaming session. This wouldn't be so bad except the cord is too short to use from the couch or chair so I must charge it after every use.

As these Ps4 batteries wear down just a bit it will be necessary to use the cord much of the time which is impossible at my house.

The current battery and cable aren't sustainable.

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts

The PS4 charges controllers while In stand-by. Unless you have 12 hour gaming sessions often, just connect the controller when you are done playing.

XspidervenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By XspidervenomX

@The_Rick_14:

12 hour gaming sessions? Yeah right. Sony doesn't even say their controller battery comes close to that. not even half that...,,.LOL Yes,, I charge it in standby which is why its always hanging out the front on the floor. Relax I'm not bashing your favorite toy.

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_Rick_14

@XspidervenomX said:

@The_Rick_14:

12 hour gaming sessions? Yeah right. Sony doesn't even say their controller battery comes close to that. not even half that...,,.LOL Yes,, I charge it in standby which is why its always hanging out the front on the floor. Relax I'm not bashing your favorite toy.

I didn't take anything you said to be bashing and was just trying to be helpful. No need to get defensive.

As far as not even half that, you may have a defective controller because mine definitely lasts lasts longer than 10 hours on a full charge because this past weekend I played for over 10 hours and my battery didn't die. It definitely doesn't get as long of a battery life as the Dualshock 3 though.

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts

@The_Rick_14: mine last about 8hrs on a full charge. So OP saying doesn't even even last half of the 12hr gaming session is just pure false....also I have the automatic turn off controller if idle more than 10min when intake bathroom breaks or get a bite to eat or even just get away for few min to stretch that way my battery lasts longer.....OP u can also buy ur own cord online on amazon I seen some for as low as 3 to 5 bucks for 8 or 10 footer

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 rogelio22
Member since 2006 • 2477 Posts

10' cords are only $2 on amazon! I have one and it works great

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

They must? I don't think they must.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I bought two 12 ft cables from Amazon. I already knew the included cable was going to be too short.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts
@JoKeR_421 said:

@The_Rick_14: mine last about 8hrs on a full charge. So OP saying doesn't even even last half of the 12hr gaming session is just pure false....also I have the automatic turn off controller if idle more than 10min when intake bathroom breaks or get a bite to eat or even just get away for few min to stretch that way my battery lasts longer.....OP u can also buy ur own cord online on amazon I seen some for as low as 3 to 5 bucks for 8 or 10 footer

First off, what you experience may not be what everyone else experiences. My DS4 barely lasts five or six hours. The fact of the matter is that the battery is worse than the DS3 and the included cord should be longer.

AgentZero225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AgentZero225
Member since 2007 • 1718 Posts

That's why I have 2 controllers

donpimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 donpimp
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I'm pretty sure the "power cord" is just a standard USB Cable, go get a 20 ft!

Swedish_Chef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Swedish_Chef
Member since 2003 • 623 Posts

Having a job tends to solve this kind of problem

XspidervenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 XspidervenomX

@donpimp said:

your pretty sure.. but your wrong. Thanks for the anti post.

XspidervenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By XspidervenomX
@AgentZero225 said:

Great answer. Thats my point. So you admittedly spent and extra 60$ to solve this problem. Ill look for my post here in a year or two. The excited ones come out of the wall if you don't say anything but, Great game, perfect 10, superrr! dont they..lol

Battery doesn't last long enough and will become an issue as they start to deteriorate as they don't last but a few good hours. Cord is too short to make up for it. Many will buy a new cord swap and return however..

@donpimp said:

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

@JoKeR_421 said:

its not false... the controllers are rated to last 4-6 hours. that is abysmal battery life for a controller.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

@XspidervenomX said:
@AgentZero225 said:

Great answer. Thats my point. So you admittedly spent and extra 60$ to solve this problem. Ill look for my post here in a year or two. The excited ones come out of the wall if you don't say anything but, Great game, perfect 10, superrr! dont they..lol

Battery doesn't last long enough and will become an issue as they start to deteriorate as they don't last but a few good hours. Cord is too short to make up for it. Many will buy a new cord swap and return however..

@donpimp said:

what? he isnt wrong, its a standard microUSB cable.... you can buy a 20ft on amazon for like 4 dollars.....

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JoKeR_421

@Geminon: I don't care what reviewers are saying lol if he's controller don't last at least 6hrs he's either just leaving laying there while he's busy doing something else or has a defected one...I have been on KzSf since 4:33pm exactly and its almost half hr away from 12am midnight that's about 7hrs gameplay and I have only taken 5min break between every 2hrs and I'm still half way with the battery. Again I use the turn off controller mode when I'm not playing or pause it when I'm in bathroom or to stretch get food and saves me some life. And for ur info if u want to be technical about it ign and GS has said the life span is between 6 to 7hrs. OP saying it barely reaches that. So either he's lying or has a defected one that needs replacement

DuaIFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DuaIFace
Member since 2009 • 581 Posts

It's a known fact that DS4 battery life is a joke compared to it's predecessor. You only need take a moment to think why this is. PS4 is $399. Other than the CPU/GPU and GDDR5, everything else was cheap, cheap, CHEAP.

There will be alternatives down the road if not already (3rd party compatible batteries, cords, ect). Look online OP.

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_Rick_14

@Geminon said:

@JoKeR_421 said:

its not false... the controllers are rated to last 4-6 hours. that is abysmal battery life for a controller.

Again, all I have to go off of is personal experience and I realize everyone's will be different but if I'm getting twice the battery life that they are rated for then either I got some magical winner, others got duds, or some people are making stuff up.

I will say that my battery meter went from 3 bars to 1 bar faster than expected, but my controller stayed on 1 bar for a long time after that. I let it run down over multiple gaming sessions until the battery completely died and then fully charged it back up so I will see if the battery meter is more accurate to what I expect after doing that.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

@The_Rick_14 said:

The PS4 charges controllers while In stand-by. Unless you have 12 hour gaming sessions often, just connect the controller when you are done playing.

This. Just charge it when not using.

jukev2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22 jukev2424
Member since 2013 • 269 Posts

@XspidervenomX: If you have an outlet nearby and a thing to connect the usb into outlet, you can charge it from there

porkchopxp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 porkchopxp
Member since 2004 • 1181 Posts

It's the "move" light bar people. That thing drains battery life profusely . . . When playing sound shapes it pulses and that'll kill off your battery quick, same thing with the "health indicator" color changes when playing KZSF. Sony will soon feel the weight of complaints and either issue a shut-off patch or begin manufacturing DS4s with out the light bar. Until then, we'll have to recharge more than we'd like!

XspidervenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By XspidervenomX

Thanks for all the fix posts.

However this doesn't change the fact the as these batteries wear down it will become very evident very quickly, as they are short life to begin with, that Sony will need to replace theses batteries and offer longer cables. As it is now what we have is not good enough. You can make excuses and every generation get a lower end product to match you low expectations.

You cant buy any 2$ 10ft PS4 controller cables. Sony does not use USB either front another blank thoughtless post.

"#6 Posted by rogelio22 (2219 posts) - 1 day, 19 hours ago

10' cords are only $2 on amazon! I have one and it works great"

Is a Sony defender post above. Its difficult to have a discussion because of forum campers sitting in wait to discredit any post thats not , Sony perfect 10, great game, super gee wizz.

If we always defend things that arent very good you will always get worse and worse. Have some standards people.

XspidervenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 XspidervenomX

Thanks for all the fix posts.

However this doesn't change the fact the as these batteries wear down it will become very evident very quickly, as they are short life to begin with, that Sony will need to replace theses batteries and offer longer cables. As it is now what we have is not good enough. You can make excuses and every generation get a lower end product to match you low expectations.

You cant buy any 2$ 10ft PS4 controller cables. Sony does not use USB either front another blank thoughtless post.

"#6 Posted by rogelio22 (2219 posts) - 1 day, 19 hours ago wrote: 10' cords are only $2 on amazon! I have one and it works great"

Is a Sony defender post above. Its difficult to have a discussion because of forum campers sitting in wait to discredit any post thats not , Sony perfect 10, great game, super gee wizz. If we always defend things that arent very good you will always get worse and worse. Have some standards people.

#16 Posted by Geminon (894 posts) - 1 day, 11 hours ago wrote: "what? he isnt wrong, its a standard microUSB cable.... you can buy a 20ft on amazon for like 4 dollars." .....This poster already decided its ok to have a next gen controller with a short batter life and decided it ok to make additional purchases and shipping charges wait for UPS all day.. See low standards.. I would like that if im going to spend 400$ and have a controller with a light on that I dont need, that it last long enough,, now,, and,, as the battery wears down that i dont need to shop, buy, and have a giant cable in my living room like PS1 days.
Ivora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ivora
Member since 2013 • 33 Posts
@XspidervenomX said:

It's a known fact that the DS4 uses MicroUSB which is also used on a lot of smart phones.

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JoKeR_421

Dude nothing about the ps4 is cheaply made lol...and the charge cable for DS4 is 5bucks on amazon max look it up stop trying to correct ppl and say they don't cost low or stop being a fan boy notice YOUR the only one just trolling

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

I have multiple controllers and keep some charging while using others. Also you can buy controller chargers that are always on. Also standby mode charges them. The batteries in mine have been lasting about 7 hours of continuous use. It's not Sony's fault that the controller's have limited battery life. It's called a battery.