Sony is sure taking their time... :/

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AntiType

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AntiType
Member since 2003 • 6249 Posts
I had my PS3 for only over a month and it suddenly stopped reading disks. I called sony and they are sending me a box to send it through the mail to get it repaired. Its been 2 weeks now and still nothing... Has anyone had to ship their console back? How long did it take? (In Canada btw)
flow797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 flow797
Member since 2003 • 175 Posts
dude why didn't you just take it back to the store you bought it at, most stores have a 90 day warranty on all products they sell
dreaded_sledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dreaded_sledge
Member since 2005 • 160 Posts

Should have just got a box yourself as opposed to waiting for something which will only have to be sent right back to them.

In the past Sony console repair has always been quick, thorough and free.

AntiType

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AntiType
Member since 2003 • 6249 Posts

dude why didn't you just take it back to the store you bought it at, most stores have a 90 day warranty on all products they sellflow797

30 days @ bestbuy :/ it broke only a few days after that

CryoGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CryoGoblin
Member since 2008 • 343 Posts
lol that sucks when i bought my ps3 from bestbuy (canada) i haggled them for the 3 year plan ;)
Avatar image for 218409372945592235589581321688

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 218409372945592235589581321688
Member since 2007 • 618 Posts
I could only suggest calling them back tomorrow just to see if anyone can give you an update before the weekend...so if anything went wrong in the process they get it corrected this friday instead of waiting till next monday to act on it.
Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 Jrfanfreak88
Member since 2008 • 1792 Posts
I had to send my back and it took 8 days for me to get the box, send it to Sony, and get my console back. This was in the first few months of PS3's existence though. And in the U.S.
alexbhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 alexbhp
Member since 2007 • 322 Posts
I had this happen to me... they are pretty fast (faster for me because I'm in Texas and sony repair center is in El Paso , Texas), They sent the box, 1 day later the empty box was at home, I packed everything send it to them. 4 days later I had another PS3 60GB.
jacksik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jacksik
Member since 2007 • 619 Posts
I heard that changing from vertical to horizontal can cause disk read errors, is this the case?
Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts
usually Sony is very quick, (my friend got his box within 4 days when his PS3 broke, and he sent it in and had it returned and working 1 week later) idk, maybe they're really busy right now or something.
Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts

I heard that changing from vertical to horizontal can cause disk read errors, is this the case?jacksik

if you do it with a disc in the machine, or while its reading the disc.

Ownsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ownsin
Member since 2007 • 1331 Posts
guys horizontal is more safer than vertical so make sure you always have your ps3 horizontal!
jtickner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jtickner
Member since 2005 • 499 Posts

guys horizontal is more safer than vertical so make sure you always have your ps3 horizontal!Ownsin

How is it more safe when the console is designed for both? As long as it's in a safe place where it can't be knocked over it's all good. Mine's been standing tall for over half a year and I've had not 1 problem.

shala85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 shala85
Member since 2004 • 136 Posts

[QUOTE="Ownsin"]guys horizontal is more safer than vertical so make sure you always have your ps3 horizontal!jtickner

How is it more safe when the console is designed for both? As long as it's in a safe place where it can't be knocked over it's all good. Mine's been standing tall for over half a year and I've had not 1 problem.

It was indeed designed for both. But it is a proven fact that making the disc spin vertically causes a bigger strain on the mechanics of your system, yet it won't make a big difference. When the standard system would work flawlessly for 4 years if used horizontally, by using it vertically it might cause a defect a month or two sooner. But by then the PS3 is gonna cost a lot less, so no problem :D

Ownsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ownsin
Member since 2007 • 1331 Posts
anyhows i just dont want my ps3 to defect anytime soon so thats why its safe to keep it horizantal !
marshall_121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 marshall_121
Member since 2005 • 32 Posts

Sounds like my experience. I wasn't going to post a comment here, but I just checked my email and my replacement PS3 has just shipped. It took about two weeks, total. I think I had the same disc problem as you. The rep told me 10-14 days after they get the faulty unit back, so this is about right. Some poeple have been lucky (less than a week), but this probably isn't usual.

Hang in there - it's on it's way!

alexbhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 alexbhp
Member since 2007 • 322 Posts

I heard that changing from vertical to horizontal can cause disk read errors, is this the case?jacksik

guys horizontal is more safer than vertical so make sure you always have your ps3 horizontal!Ownsin

My Living PS3 is Vertical since 06/2007 not a problem. (My old PS3 the one that the disc died, was Horizontal).

voixco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 voixco
Member since 2008 • 128 Posts

Should have just got a box yourself as opposed to waiting for something which will only have to be sent right back to them.dreaded_sledge

It's more than just an empty box. The box contains a pre-paid shipping label and detailed instructions on how to pack and return the system.

abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts

agreed

MFDABADKID

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MFDABADKID
Member since 2007 • 1144 Posts
fake post he could have taken the ps3 to the store. Over a month = 90 days
svenskamerikan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 svenskamerikan
Member since 2007 • 1408 Posts

Sounds like my experience. I wasn't going to post a comment here, but I just checked my email and my replacement PS3 has just shipped. It took about two weeks, total. I think I had the same disc problem as you. The rep told me 10-14 days after they get the faulty unit back, so this is about right. Some poeple have been lucky (less than a week), but this probably isn't usual.

marshall_121

The guy is in Canada the horses and sleigh that is delivering his goods probably delayed the process a bit :) (jk)

KuroiSLI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KuroiSLI
Member since 2007 • 109 Posts
I just sent my request for the box two weeks ago. The box itself took almost 5-6 days to get to me. But they do give you an air/overnight type of prepaid shipping label to send it back to them. My PS3 stopped reading discs like yours as well. I left it on horizontal the whole 36 days I had it. Oh I'm in North Texas and I had to ship it to Laredo, TX. Got there the next day.
Dimtri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 Dimtri
Member since 2007 • 115 Posts

that happened to me too. i got my ps3 on christmas and it stopped reading disks a little after new years day. i am borrowing a friends (cause he plays on his wii) i live in greece and when i am coming to america this easter i am going to get my ps3 fixed. i don't know what the problem is... yet

marshall_121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 marshall_121
Member since 2005 • 32 Posts
[QUOTE="marshall_121"]

svenskamerikan

The guy is in Canada the horses and sleigh that is delivering his goods probably delayed the process a bit :) (jk)

Lol. I had a mental picture of a bunch of huskies with playstation logos shaved into their fur...

voixco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 voixco
Member since 2008 • 128 Posts

fake post he could have taken the ps3 to the store. Over a month = 90 daysMFDABADKID

As the OP mentioned previously, they purchased it at Best Buy. While some places such as Wal-Mart have a 90 day return policy, Best Buy's return policy is 30 days.

osirisomeomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 osirisomeomi
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts
It's unusual to have a PS3 break, but it does happen. Sony's got great customer service though, you should be good to go.