Sony announces PSP2! (aka the "Next Generation Portable"?)

• 114 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Slomchom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Slomchom
Member since 2010 • 28 Posts

Check out the new "Next Generation Portable"!

What we know so far:

• Front and rear cameras
  • Front and rear touchpads
  • 3G and Wifi capability
  • 5" 960x544px OLED touchscreen
  • Dual analog sticks (Engadget: "The dual analog sticks are a new "micro" design that is apparently more like the DualShock design.")
  • Gyro sensor
  • Uses flash cards for games (no more UMD?)
  • Uses new LiveArea UI ("Game-oriented communication platform")
  • "Location-Based Entertainment"

You can find full coverage (and tons more pics) of Sony's 'Playstation Meeting' here:http://www.engadget.com/liveblog/live-from-sonys-tokyo-event/?sort=newest&refresh=0

It will be released this holiday season. :D

Slomchom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Slomchom

Touchpads!

blacknight06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 blacknight06
Member since 2006 • 1422 Posts

Dude. UNCHARTED!!

Look! A PSP2 Vid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXoVDJWP12I

jfrancis04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jfrancis04
Member since 2006 • 531 Posts

So wait...are they calling it PSP 2 or Next Generation Portable?

Slomchom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Slomchom

jfrancis04

Not sure really. Engadget is referring to it as the NGP though... It was just announced minutes ago, so we don't have all the details lol

DaAlienMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6 DaAlienMan
Member since 2008 • 1076 Posts
I've been watching both the live feed and the live blog on kotaku. I am truly excited, this things playing uncharted..its amazing
jfrancis04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jfrancis04

[QUOTE="jfrancis04"]

Slomchom

Not sure really. Engadget is referring to it as the NGP though... It was just announced minutes ago, so we don't have all the details lol

Device looks amazing...but please please please don't let it be called the "Next Generation Portable."

DaAlienMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaAlienMan
http://cdnmo.coveritlive.com/media/image/201101/phpHeEBxaphoto8.JPG
blacknight06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 blacknight06
Member since 2006 • 1422 Posts

[QUOTE="jfrancis04"]

Slomchom

Yea, so is Joystiq and Kotaku.
Slomchom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Slomchom

Link to live coverage:http://www.engadget.com/liveblog/live-from-sonys-tokyo-event/?sort=newest&refresh=60

I am so excited for this!!!

DaAlienMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaAlienMan

Link to live coverage:http://www.engadget.com/liveblog/live-from-sonys-tokyo-event/?sort=newest&refresh=60

I am so excited for this!!!

Slomchom
me too, like not to call in the 3DS too much but it truly gave me the wow factor more so than the 3DS..
jfrancis04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jfrancis04

Bracing myself for the price...

Slomchom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Slomchom

jfrancis04

With the 3DS set at $250, I'm really hoping Sony comes close to that. I REALLY hope it's not over $300! haha

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I will need to see some more close up pics, videos of games, details, price and so on, but darn sony you might have done well enough to make me buy this before a 3DS. We will see!

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="jfrancis04"]

Slomchom

With the 3DS set at $250, I'm really hoping Sony comes close to that. I REALLY hope it's not over $300! haha

I am guessing $300, but Anything less is probably expecting too much from them. I mean this thing is going to be a beast.

DaAlienMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaAlienMan

jfrancis04
Sony HAS to hit the 250-310 price range..if not I'm really worried. Cause the price will be HUGE, and i KNOW this device could be revolutionary..
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
I'm thinking $450.
Slomchom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Slomchom

I will need to see some more close up pics, videos of games, details, price and so on, but darn sony you might have done well enough to make me buy this before a 3DS. We will see!

NaveedLife

You can see a bunch of pics here:http://www.engadget.com/liveblog/live-from-sonys-tokyo-event/?sort=newest&refresh=0

Looks like they completely redid everything...

Slomchom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Slomchom

I'm thinking $450. wstfld

No way lol... It has to be $300 or less.

DaAlienMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DaAlienMan

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

Slomchom

You can see a bunch of pics here:http://www.engadget.com/liveblog/live-from-sonys-tokyo-event/?sort=newest&refresh=0

also look at how thin this thing is: http://cdnmo.coveritlive.com/media/image/201101/php1O05FFphoto17.JPG
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts

[QUOTE="wstfld"]I'm thinking $450. Slomchom

To sell well maybe, but we know how much Sony loves to suck the air out of the room when they announce a price. $599? Or announcing a move price of $50 and then telling everyone the navigation controller was extra? LOL
musicXpirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 musicXpirate
Member since 2005 • 3040 Posts

Looks amazing! :D

Slomchom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Slomchom

[QUOTE="Slomchom"]

[QUOTE="wstfld"]I'm thinking $450. wstfld

To sell well maybe, but we know how much Sony loves to suck the air out of the room when they announce a price. $599? Or announcing a move price of $50 and then telling everyone the navigation controller was extra? LOL

Yea... Sony always blows me away when it comes to price lol. It's definitely worth the money, but I'll need to save u a while first!

jfrancis04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jfrancis04

Wouldn't surprise me at all if it hit $400.

Slomchom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Slomchom

They're showing a guy playing Monster Hunter with the dual analog sticks... Looks so comfortable! I'm jealous... lol :D

specialzed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 specialzed
Member since 2007 • 682 Posts
[QUOTE="Slomchom"]

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

DaAlienMan

also look at how thin this thing is: http://cdnmo.coveritlive.com/media/image/201101/php1O05FFphoto17.JPG

Thank youuuu. I was so unimpressed because I thought it was thicker than a regular PSP! Wow that picture really calms me down, now I want it haha.
Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jak-25
Member since 2007 • 2475 Posts

It's looking good! lol It's got a lot of nice features, and it's backwards compatible with PSP games that has been bought from the PSN store. I just got Daxter recently on the umd, I knew I should have bought it from the PSN store. lol I don't mind re-buying some psp games from the psn store. I am so glad it's using a card based media instead of disc based media. I can't wait for the new games for it! :D

DaAlienMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DaAlienMan

[QUOTE="DaAlienMan"][QUOTE="Slomchom"]

specialzed

Thank youuuu. I was so unimpressed because I thought it was thicker than a regular PSP! Wow that picture really calms me down, now I want it haha.

trust me I was the same way completely, then i saw this and I was basically completely sold. I was afraid I'd be carrying around all kinds of bulk..and I wear skinny jeans...just doesnt work well

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NaveedLife

As far as hardware goes I am very excited!

Best Analog sticks on a handheld (it seems)

Maybe better touch screen then the DS (seems to be)

awesome screen with a nice resolution

great graphics

3g and such

My biggest concerns, durability, games (can they keep a good variety going?), and price (please don't be through the roof :P).

HaLoMaStErJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 HaLoMaStErJT
Member since 2008 • 1380 Posts

I hope its $300 or below cause I really want it.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NaveedLife

I hope its $300 or below cause I really want it.

HaLoMaStErJT

$300 is POSSIBLE since Sony tends to take a hit on hardware as Nintendo likes to gain money. But $300 is minimum. I think that is basically a fact :P.

Alx1231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Alx1231
Member since 2007 • 527 Posts

Looks okay but there is something about it that isn't clicking with me. idk.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#33 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

im sorry but 3ds looks better, there still no actual word on graphical abilities battery life and that sort of thing and no backwards comp kills my hopes,

the price would be 400 or more

theres no way i see it going 300 ,

,maybe the high 300s or somthing but nope, i expect at least 100 dolllar more then the 3ds period ,----asuming the 3ds is still 250 by the time psp 2 is even out -holidays but it says holidays how many times have we heard this then a delay bam (its happened to nintnedo 64)

DaAlienMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DaAlienMan

im sorry but 3ds looks better, there still no actual word on graphical abilities battery life and that sort of thing and no backwards comp kills my hopes,

,maybe the high 300s or somthing but nope, i expect at least 100 dolllar more then the 3ds period ,----asuming the 3ds is still 250 by the time psp 2 is even out -holidays but it says holidays how many times have we heard this then a delay bam (its happened to nintnedo 64)

mariokart64fan
^troll much? it is backwards comp it has graphical abilities, that can obviously play MGS4. and if you think the 3DS looks better graphically and has more abilities than you really shouldn't even be talking
Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jak-25

I really can't wait for this new PSP! :D

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NaveedLife

I really can't wait for this new PSP! :D

Jak-25

NGP :x lol :P. Me too, I just have concerns is all. But if those concerns are put to rest I will certainly pick one up (yay I can play PSP games I never got to) sometime.

Slomchom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Slomchom

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

DaAlienMan

^troll much? it is backwards comp it has graphical abilities, that can obviously play MGS4. and if you think the 3DS looks better graphically and has more abilities than you really shouldn't even be talking

Guys, let's leave the whole '3DS vs PSP2' thing out of this thread lol. Having a civilized discussion about that is near impossible. :)

Alx1231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Alx1231

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

DaAlienMan

I don't think he meant that. I think he meant that it can't play old PSP games. It can play the ones that are downloadable from the PSN market but most aren't on there. Also Graphic wise I know he didn't mean it that way. Oh and by better he means better over all in his eyes.

DaAlienMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DaAlienMan
[QUOTE="DaAlienMan"][QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

Alx1231

I don't think he meant that. I think he meant that it can't play old PSP games. It can play the ones that are downloadable from the PSN market but most aren't on there. Also Graphic wise I know he didn't mean it that way. Oh and by better he means better over all.

I'm sorry, it just seemed to me he was trying to be a troll. and I can see you saw why i acted the way i did..it's late and i really don't have a high tolerance for bs lol
Ventara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ventara
Member since 2011 • 293 Posts

mariokart64fan

Roar for us troll!

They just showed it capable of running MGS4. Enough said for graphical abilities. And the conference isn't over yet.

DaAlienMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DaAlienMan

[QUOTE="DaAlienMan"][QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

Slomchom

Guys, let's leave the whole '3DS vs PSP2' thing out of this thread lol. Having a civilized discussion about that is near impossible. :)

I'll try, it is difficult :p
kaze347

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42 kaze347
Member since 2006 • 1270 Posts

E3 is gonna be AMAZING this year. Kojima is gonna show off his project that is supposedly going to make it possible to play a PS3 game, save, then be able to load the saves and continue playing on the NGP (and vice versa I assume). At least thats what I gathered from the information I read on Kotaku just now. I am so excited about this thing.

Alx1231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Alx1231

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

Ventara

Roar for us troll!

They just showed it capable of running MGS4. Enough said for graphical abilities. And the conference isn't over yet.

True but I think the price is gonna be insane. Sony will def lose money on this thing. Most consoles do. I expect battery life to be about the same as the 3DS. Oh and MGS4 level games means MGS4 level prices. Day one buy for me though :)

DaAlienMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DaAlienMan

E3 is gonna be AMAZING this year. Kojima is gonna show off his project that is supposedly going to make it possible to play a PS3 game, save, then be able to load the saves and continue playing on the NGP (and vice versa I assume). At least thats what I gathered from the information I read on Kotaku just now. I am so excited about this thing.

kaze347
and now we see Call of Duty..if done right..with a decent online component..that could move some units
Slomchom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Slomchom

Anyone surprised? lol

Slomchom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Slomchom

[QUOTE="kaze347"]

DaAlienMan

and now we see Call of Duty..if done right..with a decent online component..that could move some units

It will be MUCH better with two analog sticks! :D

Ventara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ventara
Member since 2011 • 293 Posts

[QUOTE="Ventara"]

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

Alx1231

Roar for us troll!

True but I think the price is gonna be insane. Sony will def lose money on this thing. Most consoles do. I expect battery life to be about the same as the 3DS. Oh and MGS4 level games means MGS4 level prices. Day one buy for me though :)

We'll see, though this will be easily worth $400 imo. And PSP2 (NGP?) game prices haven't been announced (unless you've travelled to the future and back again), so don't be too sure on that.

Slomchom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Slomchom

Seems EVERYONE presenting at the event is calling it the NGP. Looks like that is it's actual name...

Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Jak-25

I am glad it has 2 analog sticks, and I love the dual shock style analog sticks as well, much better than the flat control stick on the original psp.

Alx1231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Alx1231

Seems EVERYONE presenting at the event is calling it the NGP. Looks like that is it's actual name...

Slomchom
No it's a code name. Everyone called Kinect Natal on stage before they named it