Sony and there lack of tv marketing

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shadowhawk2606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Shadowhawk2606
Member since 2006 • 481 Posts
Is Sony's financial woes hurting them so much that they can't afford to spend money on tv ads, or is it something else. If anyone has any hard facts as to what the real reason is, please by all means feel free to let me know, because as someone who wants to see the Playstation Brand succeed it's really frustrating not seeing them do anything to help there own brand succeed.
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts
Is Sony's financial woes hurting them so much that they can't afford to spend money on tv ads, or is it something else. If anyone has any hard facts as to what the real reason is, please by all means feel free to let me know, because as someone who wants to see the Playstation Brand succeed it's really frustrating not seeing them do anything to help there own brand succeed. Shadowhawk2606
i don't have facts for you, but sony has never been that good with marketing anyway. they helped market madden but other than that...i haven't seen a first party advertisement. my hope is that they are reshuffling their marketing department. sony has some of the most horrible marketing strategies
Shadowhawk2606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Shadowhawk2606
Member since 2006 • 481 Posts

Sony has been criticized for it's lack of marketing in the past. You would think they would get serious about doing something about it, Yeah the Kevin Butler ads were a good start but in a silly move by Sony that ad campaign did not last very long. You know Microsoft is going to blitz our television screens with ads for Halo 4 and Black Ops 2. If I was Sony I would be pretty embarrassed knowing that just 2 games from my competitor, one of which isn't even an exclusive. Is going to get more air time on television than most of my games for the PS3 ever have. That's pretty damn bad, and quite frankly sad.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

A company not advertising being a bad thing? Funny concept...

:D

They've never been very in-your-face, and yet, they are a household name. When you say "Playstation" around ANYONE, even people in their 80s, they have at least an ancillary concept of what you're discussing. I think, with that sort of consumer saturation, mentally, they figure they don't neccesarily NEED to spend millions on ad campaigns in between hardware launches... When the new hardware comes out, you'll see banner ads in Times Square again.

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

I just hate advertising, ads on walls, TV, radio : it's useless, people are adult enough to buy products without all this crap ; for geeks/enthisiasts of something you have many ways to find information on a product you want to know more about

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
Well, Kevin Butler is officially dead, and so are my hopes of being entertained by a PlayStation commercial for quite some time now.
Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
Honestly, I would question the relevancy of advertising on TV nowadays. Between being able to skip commercials to large amount of people engaging in streaming options, how many commercials do we really watch? For instance, besides some news, I only watch an hour of network TV a week. The rest of the time I'm watching movies, streaming from Netflix or playing games.
SgtSutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SgtSutton
Member since 2005 • 432 Posts

I feel like I see just as many sony commercials as I do xbox ones. Can't remember if I've ever seen a Nintendo one though, so by comparison sony isn't doing too bad