socom ign review 4.5 wow

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mckenna1845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mckenna1845
Member since 2005 • 4410 Posts

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/925/925834p2.html

Closing comments:

SOCOM: Confrontation is one of those games that you hate to see in its current state. You can tell that the potential of the game is there in theory, but its current incarnation is completely and tragically flawed. If you can get into a stable game that works, you can have fun, but you have to wade through a myriad of technical issues to find that game. Plus, with a large amount of its features missing without any known date of being added or implemented, Confrontation ultimately is a shell of what the game could have been: an excellent first step for a beloved franchise.

I probably won't bother getting this, i'll just wait for the bluetooth headset to drop in price or be bundled with a worthy game.

Keir21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#2 Keir21
Member since 2006 • 5918 Posts
I knew it wouldn't beat MGO.
nc_soldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nc_soldier
Member since 2004 • 789 Posts
ye=/ I was totally gonna get it today (it's release date in Norway according to my local store) but i'm not sure if i'll care to pick it up at all anymore, I had fun in the beta but it seems like the game is still full of all those technical issuses they somehow managed to patch into the game with the last beta patch=|.
jojo198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 jojo198
Member since 2005 • 1924 Posts
Socom sucked, its always was.
nc_soldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nc_soldier
Member since 2004 • 789 Posts

[QUOTE="nc_soldier"]ye=/ I was totally gonna get it today (it's release date in Norway according to my local store) but i'm not sure if i'll care to pick it up at all anymore, I had fun in the beta but it seems like the game is still full of all those technical issuses they somehow managed to patch into the game with the last beta patch=|.Coolboy420x
AND THERE ARE NO PROMISES THAT IT'LL GET FIXED BY THE DEVS, SO SPEND YOUR MONEY SOMEWHERE ELSE, like DEAD SPACE, LBP.

caps.... but yeah i'll probably pick up f3 or something, that games is kinda bugged too sadly, but it will most likely be fixed alteast.

SamuRai_JeDi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 SamuRai_JeDi
Member since 2008 • 1019 Posts
These reviewers are blowing this out of proportion first of all. Yeah, there's stuff missing from the game no doubt. There really aren't any technical issues that are major, because they just came out with a patch. 4.5 is ridiculous. The game is fun to play, the headset is amazing, and there's no reason to not pick this game up. I just wish they had more maps, because I've been playing Socom since Socom, ya dig.
patriots7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 patriots7672
Member since 2008 • 3249 Posts
I think the low scores for it are because it's just another really plain shooter, nothing unique about it at all. I've played it and you'd be better off playing any other shooter online.
signore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 signore
Member since 2007 • 2122 Posts

im sure socom isnt that bad

IGN is WAYY too ridiculous and off the wall. Throwing AAA scores out like candy, and then really crappy scores like this. They do it just to get attention

Coolboy420x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Coolboy420x
Member since 2004 • 2235 Posts
Well I quoted myself prior to its release that it wont get more than a 7.5 but a 4.5? WOW worst Socom ever... BUT the devs have a great opportunity here to spend even more on the game, build a single player story, fix the online to the last detail and resell it for top dollar, that would be a win win for everyone!!!
Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 Cedmln
Member since 2006 • 8802 Posts
8 days and The Getaway 3 were cancelled/ put on hold for this?
Mckenna1845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mckenna1845
Member since 2005 • 4410 Posts

8 days and The Getaway 3 were cancelled/ put on hold for this?Cedmln

I know lol, ign reviewed the game later then everyone else hoping it will be fixed, so it's obviously got its fair share of problems.

Coolboy420x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Coolboy420x
Member since 2004 • 2235 Posts
8 days and The Getaway 3 were cancelled/ put on hold for this?Cedmln
What are u talking about, Slant 6 was supposed to make those games?
_Area51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 _Area51
Member since 2003 • 219 Posts

These reviewers are blowing this out of proportion first of all. Yeah, there's stuff missing from the game no doubt. There really aren't any technical issues that are major, because they just came out with a patch. 4.5 is ridiculous. The game is fun to play, the headset is amazing, and there's no reason to not pick this game up. I just wish they had more maps, because I've been playing Socom since Socom, ya dig.SamuRai_JeDi

But isn't this multiplayer only? So if there are technical issues (you say they aren't major, but many others say they are), then why would it warrant a higher score?

Haven't played the game, or read the review, just wondering.

mfarris2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mfarris2006
Member since 2005 • 335 Posts

Closing comments:

SOCOM: Confrontation is one of those games that you hate to see in its current state. You can tell that the potential of the game is there in theory, but its current incarnation is completely and tragically flawed. If you can get into a stable game that works, you can have fun, but you have to wade through a myriad of technical issues to find that game. Plus, with a large amount of its features missing without any known date of being added or implemented, Confrontation ultimately is a shell of what the game could have been: an excellent first step for a beloved franchise.

I probably won't bother getting this, i'll just wait for the bluetooth headset to drop in price or be bundled with a worthy game.

Mckenna1845

Fat chance the headset will drop in price in the next 2 years. Sony doesn't really drop prices on thier peripherals.

shabazz5th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 shabazz5th
Member since 2004 • 648 Posts

I highly disagree with IGN on this one...first they do throw out really high scores to AAA games, then they butcher other ones...there is no middle ground with them it seems.

I have the game and I love it personally, especially after the patch.

Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Furi-Kun
Member since 2007 • 10903 Posts
Hmm 4.5 eh? Who wants to play Haze? :lol:
SamuRai_JeDi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 SamuRai_JeDi
Member since 2008 • 1019 Posts

Look, I have had the game since launch. They just came out with a patch the other day and there really isn't too much lag or disconnections at all anymore. They left out pertinent features with this game that were always included in other Socoms. I reviewed the game and gave it a 9. Looking back and playing further I would give the game, in its current state, a 7.5. Thats only because the lack of maps (three of them are from Socom 2, of which I've played about a million times and now I have to all over again, because there's only like 7 maps.), also the lack of community features (you can't see where your buddies are playing, follow them, create parties.). Other than that, its Socom and Socom is great. i've never experience a better tactical shooter in my life. You really have to coordinate with your teamates what you're doing or you lose. Ne way, Ill continue to play with the thousands that know the game is great. Could care less if any of you get it or not.

[QUOTE="SamuRai_JeDi"]These reviewers are blowing this out of proportion first of all. Yeah, there's stuff missing from the game no doubt. There really aren't any technical issues that are major, because they just came out with a patch. 4.5 is ridiculous. The game is fun to play, the headset is amazing, and there's no reason to not pick this game up. I just wish they had more maps, because I've been playing Socom since Socom, ya dig._Area51

But isn't this multiplayer only? So if there are technical issues (you say they aren't major, but many others say they are), then why would it warrant a higher score?

Haven't played the game, or read the review, just wondering.

maurju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 maurju
Member since 2004 • 45 Posts

First off, Today Socom is running fine, the patch seems like it helped fix the server issues, and before the patch for the last week or so it seems to be have gotten better and better. There are way more game rooms and lobbies now (ranked /unranked) and I rarely get lag, more so if I choose a channel/lobby that is not my area. So TODAY Socom is running very smooth, should it have been like that from day 1, yes but hey, could always be worse.....

if you like your shooters and realism, and the idea of teamwork apeals to you, no doubt you will like this game, if you have very little patience, and ONLY like rambo style gameplay, Socom is not for you, personally I like both depends what mood your in

shabazz5th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 shabazz5th
Member since 2004 • 648 Posts

First off, Today Socom is running fine, the patch seems like it helped fix the server issues, and before the patch for the last week or so it seems to be have gotten better and better. There are way more game rooms and lobbies now (ranked /unranked) and I rarely get lag, more so if I choose a channel/lobby that is not my area. So TODAY Socom is running very smooth, should it have been like that from day 1, yes but hey, could always be worse.....

if you like your shooters and realism, and the idea of teamwork apeals to you, no doubt you will like this game, if you have very little patience, and ONLY like rambo style gameplay, Socom is not for you, personally I like both depends what mood your in

maurju

QFT

Avatar image for M3RC3tHeShOoTeR
M3RC3tHeShOoTeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 M3RC3tHeShOoTeR
Member since 2008 • 916 Posts

maurju

Absolutly you took the words out of my mouth. Personally I think all the reviews I have seen have been crap. I played the games myself and alot of the other popular games and some are worse than socom even without any bugs. I like the clan support for socom we can finally fit half our guys in one game. I haven't had a problem with this game since beta.

I gave it an 8

nitsud_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nitsud_19
Member since 2004 • 2519 Posts
Bah well, i like the game alot and thats all that matters to me.
babystapler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 babystapler
Member since 2005 • 1679 Posts

im sure socom isnt that bad

IGN is WAYY too ridiculous and off the wall. Throwing AAA scores out like candy, and then really crappy scores like this. They do it just to get attention

signore

I tend to agree more with IGN's reviews than any other publication. All the points the reviewer brought up in the game made me want to avoid wasting my money on the game. Whether it gets a 4.5 or a 6.5 or even an 8.5, or with as many 9+ games coming out this season, I'm not gonna waste my money on a buggy, unfinished game.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8785 Posts
4.5? Oof, ouch.
KapG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KapG
Member since 2007 • 1037 Posts

I knew it wouldn't beat MGO.Keir21

LOL, i've played BOTH of them....

MGO can't hold Socom's jock strap, even while it was having all the server issues lol.

gp19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gp19
Member since 2005 • 4252 Posts
wow, they were so good for the ps2, I don't know what happen to them, maybe they just got lazy
gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts

Closing comments:

Mckenna1845
And people called me a Xbox fanboy when I said this game sucked..PFT!! The game is NOT next gen, you don't release a PS2 game on the PS3 and try to sell it as a PS3 game. The game is sooooo last gen. I ALWAYS held the Socom with TOP regards, but now the image of Socom has been severely damaged by Sony releasing this half pooped game. So disappointed :(
TJSAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 TJSAGE
Member since 2006 • 3540 Posts

its a total slap in the face to gamers.

Choosing to go online only and using old maps, you would think make things alittle easier.

But it is just obvious that very very very very little effort went into making this game. Even if there is 0 lag, the game was just put together poorly.

And without the mute button, I think Warhawks mic fit much nicer. And had a swivel thing for the ear piece, not something that can pop off and will be nothing if you lose it