Socom beta is SOO BAD (IMO)

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for MichaelWestlane
MichaelWestlane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MichaelWestlane
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Honestly, I cannot stress enough!! Socom was supose to be my must have for october but its officially out of my list, no matter how much my friends want me to get it im not wasting $40. This is my opinion and ill tell you why.

First of all... the worst part is... the whole game is just damn slow! I played about 7-10 hours of beta and I just cant go on for another hour or ill throw up or something, they try to make the whole game too realistic and fail, and when I mean slow I mean EVERYTHING in the game is slow, your guy walking, aiming, weapon switching, crosshair sensitivity is just downright very bad, the camera angel never works out no matter how you switch it, one way or another your head gets in the way or your body or you cant look at the other side, it just does not work, the sixaxis motion effect is good addition but it just does not work out because your guy's head moves only about 4cm and you rather just walk a bit to the left or right. And the controls are something that you will see once in a very long while because its made so badly.

Second... graphics are relative to the first generation ps3 games (As in first year of ps3) and we are in now what, third generation? most games nowadays are third gen graphics, and this games graphics are BAD! I dont know how you're going to say its good because I cant see the good of it, the weapons texture is so bad and especially the whole view, if you see your enemy far away, you wont see alot of detail in him even if your playing on 1080. JUST compare this kind of graphics to the second gen call of duty 4, if there ever was a playstation 2.5 which had improved graphics from ps2, socom confrontation would fit in there like a glove. And I understand how the mechanics work "Too good graphics cause lag" well, call of duty 4's graphic was 5 times better than this with not a lag in my life time. Examples would include the RPG launch texture is SO bad that the smoke is solid as a colour, your own weapons look especially bad, your guy isnt that bad but could be better.

Third... Online service. I dont know about you guys but my mic is EXTREMLY clear in other games, like i can hear my self through other peoples speakers, but in socom, when i talk people just tell me "I cant understand you!! all i hear is noise!" and my mic works so well on other games, this is the same problem they had in battlefield bad company. But not only mic, the connection, first its laggy at about 20 fps, you sometimes freeze for about 3 seconds then unfreeze (this happens usually about every 3 minutes), and it has SUPER LONG loading times including the speed of the menu screen etc.

Conclusion

All I can say about this game is, if you were a previous socom fan, you might like it, or if you LOVE team work because this game does stand out in team work far better than most games. But other than that, the gameplay is lousy and I doubt this game will succeed in game site ratings, trust me I was going to honestly get this game if my friend didnt give me the beta key couple days ago, thank god for her for doing so now I dont have to waste $40. This review was MY OPINION and I know this was the beta, but if it has THIS many problems, then I doubt they will fix everything in the full version. Overall I just cant stand slow games PERIOD, the game itself is slow, then add a really bad connection, thats super slow with down right terribad graphics and SLOWEST controls ever made. If I had to rate this game, 6/10, and I doubt any great game sites will give it a high score because they know what they are talking about, socom will turn out to be one of the games that has alot of anticipation but does not live up to the standards. Don't get me wrong im a huge fan of team based shooters but im definite sure that this wont go into my collection.

6/10

Keasy4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Keasy4
Member since 2003 • 16843 Posts
at the end of the day its just a beta.. the game itself will have the fix version of everything... im also in the beta and i also agree even though its my 1st socom game ever played..
Generalmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Generalmojo
Member since 2008 • 3670 Posts

Great!

i was gona buy this for the official mic its coming with,i thought: "hek who cares if i waste £40 on this game,

but after listening to your review

ill just stick with cod5 fallout3 and LBP

KurupSoldr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 KurupSoldr
Member since 2006 • 4094 Posts

at the end of the day its just a beta.. the game itself will have the fix version of everything... im also in the beta and i also agree even though its my 1st socom game ever played..Keasy4

The beta's only true mission was to test the network so just so you know, i did not read all of it but i agree i am a die hard fan and this was suppose to be it, and while its not all bad i cannot get used to the slowness of my character it drives me crazy after cod4 and warhawk. i played the beta for a few times but couldnt deal with that. this game IMO has just never felt right after socom 2

unrealplaya55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 unrealplaya55
Member since 2007 • 1278 Posts
It's gonna be like this in the final release. A beta is just to test for glitches/bugs. They don't change the whole game in a beta so none of you people better blame the fact that the game sucks on "its a beta" excuse.
dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3053 Posts
Hopefully Zipper doesn't screw up MAG like Slant 6 did with this game.
mastiffchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 mastiffchild
Member since 2008 • 301 Posts

I was looking forward to this too but didn't get on the Beta. My mate did, though, and he's about as upset as the OP over this. They'll have alot to fix if they want to get people choosing this over what there already is, never mind the shooters coming up like Farcry3 and Killzone2, or even Resistance2.

With it being bundled with the official headset you'd have thought they'd have got this one really spot on but it looks a bit grim right now.

EmyrsII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 EmyrsII
Member since 2008 • 286 Posts

mike what kind of mic are you using? ill admit my sole reason for thinking about buying SOCOM was for the bundled mic... but this isnt the first time ive heard about the problems youve mentioned...

maybe if i can find a different headset, ill skip this... then again, i was going to wait until reviews surfaced to see how well the headset did anyway..

yeaaboii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 yeaaboii
Member since 2008 • 451 Posts
I cannot understand how you can say the controls are bad when you can fully customize your controls... you do not make any sense and i disagree with you on ever aspect of your argument.
Stark1177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Stark1177
Member since 2003 • 200 Posts
the Beta is awesome, it has its problems but if your any good, its a damn good game...Need to speed up reloading though
ps3loverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ps3loverr
Member since 2008 • 172 Posts
i thought it hasnt come out
sumdumsim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sumdumsim
Member since 2004 • 217 Posts
I loved the game I cannot wait until it comes out. I mean really if you look at it the mic is 10 dollars less so you get the game for 10 dollars if you were planning on gettin the mic seperate. I think it is well worth 10 dollars.
-Darko-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -Darko-
Member since 2005 • 4745 Posts
Did you just review a beta? Wow....
Myzz617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Myzz617
Member since 2008 • 2026 Posts

LMFAOOO im so tired of people posting about the beta and it is ending soom. Wish u would have played the game when the beta first came out now the beta is in its final days. Im sure they were still tweaking things in the game before they started Mass production.

First Off-You should read the Beta info at the begining of the online play and perhaps you might not jump to a conclusion that this quick sample is EXACTLY what the game is going to look like. I would not expect the best from Slant six, Tactical strike is ok but i dun expect them to create a ps3 SOCOM similar to the classic SOCOMS we seen on PS2.

Hopefully Zipper will make another SOCOM but they are working on a new franchise for the ps3...MAG. Yes this SOCOM might have some short comings but it is one of its kind and worth my time and money IMO.

PS. Thanks for the official BETA review

csqwared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 csqwared
Member since 2005 • 986 Posts

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. And although I whole-heartedly disagree with you, you can make your own choice. I certainly don't think it's a 10, but it definitely didn't dissapoint me. And I am a long time SOCOM series fan, I guess I'm more easilyt pleased than others :P. I really didn't notice that many problems with it, most of the lag issues have been fixed, and Slant 6 is really doing a great job in my honest opinion.

Wave360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Wave360
Member since 2007 • 1017 Posts
Its sad but i have been taying away from a friend who has the socom beta and thinks its fun beacause i hate it soooo much... I wanted this game alot at first but now i might just buy the mic seperate. Its way to slow and boring
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#17 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

Dont you love it when someone gives a beta a 6/10??

How dumb can that be???

Wave360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Wave360

Dont you love it when someone gives a beta a 6/10??

How dumb can that be???

hillelslovak

Well i dont think all that much will be changed in the full game... They wont speed it up and they wont make the graphics better... Im not sure about the mic problem though but i cant see this game doing very well either

Racer_XLR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Racer_XLR
Member since 2008 • 21664 Posts

Ehh.. to be perfectly honest I'm only interested in the mic. :lol:

I know my friend has like 2 mics mabye I can buy it from him.

StealthKnife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 StealthKnife
Member since 2008 • 2104 Posts
i loved the beta and i cant wait for the game!!! its intense, they fixxed the lag problems!!! dunno what u talking about
Pablo620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pablo620
Member since 2004 • 4980 Posts
Realize that you are not playing a demo of a final product. It is a Beta of a game. As in a test for a future final product. Now i dont have any interest in Socom, never liked the series, but I cant stress enough that this kind of talk is pointless. Go tell it to Slant Six in the message boards i'm sure they have set up for Beta testers. Thats where this kind of opinion belongs.
Igetyourdogtag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Igetyourdogtag
Member since 2008 • 966 Posts
Its sad but i have been taying away from a friend who has the socom beta and thinks its fun beacause i hate it soooo much... I wanted this game alot at first but now i might just buy the mic seperate. Its way to slow and boringWave360
why would you buy the mic seperately... thats a huge mistake. You wouldnt want to throw in a 40$ game for only 10$?
Wave360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Wave360

i loved the beta and i cant wait for the game!!! its intense, they fixxed the lag problems!!! dunno what u talking aboutStealthKnife

Well i have never played a Socom game before so i dont know if this is how all socoms are but i just find it too slow for me, before anyone can say this I AM NOT PLAYING CALL OF DUTY 4 "so dont tell me to go back and play it like everyone else who complains about games being slow"

I guess i shouldnt have said its going to get a low score beacause if that is how the other socom games are then it actually should get a great score but its just not for me...

Wave360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Wave360

[QUOTE="Wave360"]Its sad but i have been taying away from a friend who has the socom beta and thinks its fun beacause i hate it soooo much... I wanted this game alot at first but now i might just buy the mic seperate. Its way to slow and boringIgetyourdogtag
why would you buy the mic seperately... thats a huge mistake. You wouldnt want to throw in a 40$ game for only 10$?

So its $10 more for the game... i though it was $20 more if its only $10 more then i might get it play abit get trophies and maybe it will grow on me like afew other games did... if not i trade it in and make more than $10 off of it

Urizen5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 Urizen5
Member since 2006 • 521 Posts
Not really a fan of Socom. This is a counter-argument for people who make fun of beta reviewing. Sometimes aspecially for an online FPS game. The beta is just for testing servers. Look at Metal Gear Online. The beta was pretty much exactly the same. except for a few cosmetic things. The beta you are playing is prolly pretty close to the final product. So as for me the OP's argument could be valid.
I_pWnzz_YoU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 I_pWnzz_YoU
Member since 2007 • 6032 Posts
It's a beta, they're still working out some bugs. Play the full version before you bash it.
Dramacidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Dramacidal
Member since 2007 • 46 Posts

I for one enjoyed it.

It reminded me of SOCOM 2, my all time favorite game. SOCOM has never been about the graphics. It's the fun, addictive, competitive game play. It's the gameplay, the tactics, the clans. That's SOCOM. Wait for the game to come out before you judge the slowness. It's a beta, so we'll see.

I for one will be getting it the day it drops.

signore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 signore
Member since 2007 • 2122 Posts

all you guys are snobs... betas are for the most part the same as the real game. Im tired of people defending demos/betas when they are disappointing claiming the final version will be better. Socom comes out in what, 2 weeks? you really think theyll improve the game at all? Face it, the beta youre playing is the same thing the final game will be (gameplay and graphics wise). Betas are only around to test the online community, thats why you never see public betas for offline only games.

Also, for the sake of argument.. name me one game where the final version of a game was wayyy better than the demo/beta??? (and i mean graphics/gameplay,, not lag/connection online parts). Face it, this game is garbage

C_BozkurT_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 C_BozkurT_C
Member since 2008 • 3580 Posts

I feel your pain

I wasn't a big fan of it either..way too slow imo as well.

Coolboy420x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Coolboy420x
Member since 2004 • 2235 Posts
this game's rating wont go higher than 7.5... do quote me on that when the final game is released.
Myzz617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Myzz617

this game's rating wont go higher than 7.5... do quote me on that when the final game is released. Coolboy420x

a week from tues we shall

river_rat3117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 river_rat3117
Member since 2003 • 3474 Posts
anyone who has played a socom before knows its slow, its supposed to be a slow tactical game, how do they fail? socom is one of the few games that get it right, sure the beta isnt as good, but most hardcore socom'ers can look past the load times and stuff like that. either you like it or you dont. i cant wait for the real game to come out so i can finally play with people who understand socom and not listen to one idiot every game i go into complaining how its not as fast as COD4
Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts
it's a beta, which means everything and only an idiot chooses to ignore this fact.
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
the patches made the gameplay too fast imo.
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

What concerns me is what the condition this game is in. It's still full of some terrible bugs and it's supposed to be an Oct 14th release date (next week). Other Socom Betas I've done (and heard about from the group I play Socom with) have pretty much been the same. The beta you're playing is the final release short of a few minor features. Bugs, glitches and all. Then it'll take 6 months for the dev to actually release a patch that only really fixes 15% of the problem.

You can't "slam" this game because of it's pace. That's how Socom is and always has been. If you don't like the game itself, you've obviously haven't played Socom before because Socom is a tactical third person shooter that was never "fast" since it's first game. It's the problems with this game that have me wondering what kind of a "$40 Beta" we're going to get here. I know that Zipper has really dropped the ball with Socom ever since 3. Since I don't have money to burn, I'm going to sit on the fence about this one. I love the game, I just don't like it's issues that's got me worried that these issues will cross over to the final version (like it has before). Nobody wants to pay $40 for a game that freezes and kicks you off PSN in the middle of loading.

camejodog5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 camejodog5
Member since 2007 • 122 Posts

Could Some one Like send me the beta or something if u can PLZ im dying to play this game!^_^

PSN:Frost_kidd22

Choco_Taco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Choco_Taco
Member since 2007 • 573 Posts

Could Some one Like send me the beta or something if u can PLZ im dying to play this game!^_^

PSN:Frost_kidd22

camejodog5

Well, since you said PLZ :P (I pm'd it)

Valentino07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 Valentino07
Member since 2005 • 1601 Posts
Why exactly do people think the game FAILS because its slow? Socom has always been about REALISTIC tactical play. No COD4 BS, running around at lightning speed. Your gear in socom ACTAULLY affects your mobility in the game unlike other games. Carrying around a M60+ RPG makes you slower. Don't blame it being SLOW because its realistic. If you don't like it, go back and play your little arcade games.
Avatar image for MichaelWestlane
MichaelWestlane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MichaelWestlane
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Everyone whos flaming me because I reviewed a beta, good for you and you are contradicting your self because in one part of the post (if you ever read the whole thing) I said "there are wayy too many issues that i highly doubt they will fix all by the time the game is out" so pretty much what you see in the beta is what you get except they will maybe have no-lag but that could be just it. You're all acting like if the full version is a sequel or something, THEY ARE BOTH 95% THE SAME, not more than 5% different, so stop being idiots your selfs and think before you talk, why do you think they want you to test something thats totally different from the full version?
hilltops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hilltops
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts

Ehh.. to be perfectly honest I'm only interested in the mic. :lol:

I know my friend has like 2 mics mabye I can buy it from him.

Racer_XLR

i have bought this game for the headset..
i really dont see it being that bad..
and if it is i just wont play it..
i will however use the headset..
only payed $86 for it anyways
solidsnake444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 solidsnake444
Member since 2007 • 49 Posts

[QUOTE="Wave360"]Its sad but i have been taying away from a friend who has the socom beta and thinks its fun beacause i hate it soooo much... I wanted this game alot at first but now i might just buy the mic seperate. Its way to slow and boringIgetyourdogtag

seriously..., the mic's stand alone price is $50, and the game + the mic bundled is $60. You'd have to be pretty stupid to buy the mic alone, and not spend the extra $10 for the game, even if you only enjoy the slightest bit.

GreyFoXX4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GreyFoXX4
Member since 2008 • 3612 Posts

The beta should get another patch I think today or sometime aswell, I think it should be 1.50 patch. But so far I'm loving it, except for some of the issues talked about. But for the most part the gameplay is right on with other Socoms and really Socom gives that little extra that cod4 was missing. Like it feeling competitive, actuall teamwork, and tactical strategy, which we all know that cod4 wasn't meant to have. Heck S&D in cod4 the opposing teams dead players could hear your conversation while dead, so no reason to make a gameplan with your team mates lol cause the other team is listening which I thougt was just stupid lol.

But if you want a true tactical, team work based tps then Socom is the game without a doubt. And I have faith that most issues will be cleared up prior to release and shortly after, heck the beta has made huge improvements since its day 1 release for pre purchases.

P.S. The new patch is out now for the Beta :)

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#43 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

Let me get this straight OP.

You are judging the game solely on BETA?

I'm in beta of Socom as well and your statements are completely untrue, you're making those who haven't had a chance to play it believe into misinformation.

First of all, the game isn't slow, there is a sprint button, if you have equipped medium or even better light armour you will sprint through the maps very fast, it makes you very vulnerable to fire, but you gain mobility.

Heavy equipped weapons and armour are slower but they can still sprint.

Second, controls are not slow either, this is a third person shooter and you can go to controller settings and bump the speed sensitivity as fast as you need. Most people never do go all the way, because it's harder to aim in close combat especially if you get jump, but the option is there.

Now, you're complaining that the game is failed to be realistic??

I guess you would call Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six slow and boring as well.

Socom: Confrontation is the most realistic third person shooter on the market. I'll not bother explaining since you won't understand Military Terms or how well the game moves when you play together with friends as squad members.

I'm sorry, this isn't run and gun or solo macho soldier action shooter.

Even on Heavy Armor you will take barely few bullets if they hit in chest area.

This is a tactical game where you communicate to prevail missions.

This must be your first Socom or you're just to use to arcadish COD4 mechanics, which is a great game, but not comparable to Socom or wise versa.

I can understand the game isn't to your liking, but the statements like: "The graphics are terrible" is again, misinformed and out of the question. I believe you never played the beta and are just judging it from those old screenshots you find on the Web. The current Socom beta looks sharp and good.

The sharp textures on the models and all of the environments maps are excellent, It's very solid. So many little details on the map are constantly in motion's, from winds of dust moving around into small whirlwinds, to interactivity with environments to your advantage, cars, propane/gas bottles can be blown up on unsuspecting enemies, the sounds of weapons are superb, when you fire semi-automatic M16 it really sounds like one.

I'm sorry if you don't like the game, however your misinformed points are misleading people into wrong facts, and the facts state different.

CrazyFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 CrazyFanboy
Member since 2005 • 639 Posts
you can really explosions I cant wait for full game. It has great clan support too.
drew2cool26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 drew2cool26
Member since 2008 • 152 Posts
I agree, it was on my list until I played the beta now another game took its place on my list.
mbrockway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mbrockway
Member since 2007 • 3560 Posts

all you guys are snobs... betas are for the most part the same as the real game. Im tired of people defending demos/betas when they are disappointing claiming the final version will be better. Socom comes out in what, 2 weeks? you really think theyll improve the game at all? Face it, the beta youre playing is the same thing the final game will be (gameplay and graphics wise). Betas are only around to test the online community, thats why you never see public betas for offline only games.

Also, for the sake of argument.. name me one game where the final version of a game was wayyy better than the demo/beta??? (and i mean graphics/gameplay,, not lag/connection online parts). Face it, this game is garbage

signore

THE BETA HAS ONE MAP. Its a BETA. Graphics I'm fine with, gameplay I'm fine with. Socom is slow. Thats how it is, the game punishes people who run out and get capped by having them sit out till the next match. You stick with your team, and move to your waypoints. It doesn't click with some people, and thats cool. Now the bugs though... holy crap, they better patch those up. Glitches like crazy last I played (I haven't touched it since I downloaded the last update, maybe it fixed them?) I want that headset though, bad.

I_pWnzz_YoU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 I_pWnzz_YoU
Member since 2007 • 6032 Posts
I still haven't played the beta. I think it's closed, am I wrong?
maurju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 maurju
Member since 2004 • 45 Posts

Played preivous socoms and liked them, actually popped in 1 the other day, haven't played the beta yet(love to if anyone is sick of theres) but aside from stuff like loading times and little glitches, I'm not sure they can really change the game that much from a beta to final versions, especially for a console, since the whole idea of testing is to test the Final product, what would be the purpose of testing a lesser built, none. If they were to change speed add graphics wouldn't it be a waste of time to test something thats going to just get changed.

my $.02 on console betas, but people expecting big changes are fooling themselves, this reminds me of the aruguements people were having about HAZE and how the game was gonna be much different from the demo

heres hoping Farcry's map editor with be sick

shabab12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 shabab12
Member since 2007 • 2613 Posts
This is why betas shouldnt be public. ITS NOT A BLOODY DEMO!
Myzz617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Myzz617

This is why betas shouldnt be public. ITS NOT A BLOODY DEMO!shabab12

Its sad children cant understand this. People should appreciate the fact they get the chance to participate in a unpolished product.