So why get a PS4 if graphics supposedly don't matter?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ghstbstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ghstbstr
Member since 2006 • 8790 Posts

For years all I have heard is that graphics don't matter or it dosn't make the game better. That's a bunch of bs, because if it didn't matter then there wouldn't be another new generation of game consoles.

So far the PS4 only does one thing better and that is it makes games look graphically alot better, and that's it as there is nothing else it does better. The sound is the same crap sound as the last generation, as I was really hoping that sound in games would improve along with the bump in graphics but I guess not. Games really need the HD sound quality of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio like movies have to go along with the HD graphics to give games that more immersive feel.

Don't get me wrong I really like my PS4 and I will also like the Xbox One, but I was hoping for more from this new next generation of consoles. Oh well.

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts

Gameplay is the biggest one for me. Battlefield 4 having 64 players online (once they finally get it all fixed up) and playing much smoother at 60fps instead of 30fps to use one example.

As far as hoping for more, I'm going to stick by the Patience is a Virtue montra, at least for a year or two and see what studios can put out when they have more time with the hardware.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#3 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

@The_Rick_14 said:

Gameplay is the biggest one for me. Battlefield 4 having 64 players online (once they finally get it all fixed up) and playing much smoother at 60fps instead of 30fps to use one example.

There's a good example. Developers will be able to do more with more power and ram and such to work with. I especially look forward to seeing how well made future open world games are. But I guess you're right to an extent, this new generation is mostly just a graphical step up, one that isn't as significant as the previous gap.

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts
@ghstbstr said:

For years all I have heard is that graphics don't matter or it dosn't make the game better. That's a bunch of bs, because if it didn't matter then there wouldn't another new generation of game consoles.

So far the PS4 only does one thing better and that is it makes games look graphically alot better, and that's it as there is nothing else it does better. The sound is the same crap sound as the last generation, as I was really hoping that sound in games would improve along with the bump in graphics but I guess not. Games really need the HD sound quality of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio like movies have to go along with the HD graphics to give games that more immersive feel.

Don't get me wrong I really like my PS4 and I will also like the Xbox One, but I was hoping for more from this new next generation of consoles. Oh well.

Awesome graphics matter but gameplay is far more important...... The PS3 made a ton of great games and will continue to make great games. Now, imagine PS4 graphics + great highly rated gameplay like the next Uncharted or God Of War. If you think the launch games are showing the best of the PS4, you are so wrong. The best is coming later..... Just like the PS2 or PS3 did.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@ghstbstr said:

For years all I have heard is that graphics don't matter or it dosn't make the game better. That's a bunch of bs, because if it didn't matter then there wouldn't another new generation of game consoles.

Lol, dude. Do you know anything about sound whatsoever? Most PS3 exclusives (and some multiplats) had lossless sound. PS4 is the same. Want to improve the sound? Get better speakers/headphones, numbskull. Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master is no different nor any more of an upgrade from what we've already had - they're simply different encodings of lossless sound.

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts

The sound hasn't changed, no HD sound???? U either are not paying attention or have not hooked ur sound system to ur ps3/ps4 correctly. There are sound like when a character is running and stepping on twigs or leaves or pebbles or even a puddle and the richness the crisp sound u get from it compared to ps2days where sounds were compressed is a lot better. I'm a sound freak and I can pick or notice some improvement or changes they keep making. Also graphic does matter to an extend but gameplay always comes first. Look at games like uncharted, god of war, last of us. All these games are at top notch

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@ghstbstr said:

So far the PS4 only does one thing better and that is it makes games look graphically alot better, and that's it as there is nothing else it does better.

You could not be more wrong if you tried

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KHAndAnime
@Jaysonguy said:

@ghstbstr said:

So far the PS4 only does one thing better and that is it makes games look graphically alot better, and that's it as there is nothing else it does better.

You could not be more wrong if you tried

5 improvements off the top of my head that make PS3 feel unusable in comparison....

- Multi-tasking, more responive UI

- Fast installs (all games playable <1 minute, fully installed in <4 minutes)

- Better multiplayer (larger player amounts in matches, better netcode etc. - multiplayer on consoles for the very first time for is comparable to PC multiplayer)

- Better controller (Gyroscope so accurate that it functions perfectly for typing, huge improvement over typing with buttons + much more comfortable and precise-feeling)

- Party chat

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

since audio has always been ahead of graphics due to its lower load on processing power and audio being more popular, it's already far ahead... it is up to the developers to utilise it, besides some developers already had utilised it last gen, if one does not own a 7.1 surround receiver or above with killer specs and a very good speaker system, one cannot tell the difference...

Ne-Plus-Ultra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10  Edited By Ne-Plus-Ultra
Member since 2012 • 281 Posts

Nobody even mentions how smooth the games are, last gen when the action started to get heavy the games would sometimes get choppy and start dropping frames, but so far everything I've played has been super smooth.

As for sound, I think it sounds great, at first I didn't set up the sound, but yesterday I did and the 7.1 sounds awesome.

I'm loving the PS4 so much that I'm thinking about skipping any PS3 only games in the hopes that they will make their way to the PS4 eventually.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@ghstbstr said:

For years all I have heard is that graphics don't matter or it dosn't make the game better. That's a bunch of bs, because if it didn't matter then there wouldn't be another new generation of game consoles.

The PS4 controller is superb, it's way faster (games everything is super fast), the PS Store is faster on it, the web browser is way-way faster, the graphics are quite improved, and it has many other functions the PS3 doesn't.

Buy it if you want or don't.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@Ne-Plus-Ultra said:

Nobody even mentions how smooth the games are, last gen when the action started to get heavy the games would sometimes get choppy and start dropping frames, but so far everything I've played has been super smooth.

As for sound, I think it sounds great, at first I didn't set up the sound, but yesterday I did and the 7.1 sounds awesome.

I'm loving the PS4 so much that I'm thinking about skipping any PS3 only games in the hopes that they will make their way to the PS4 eventually.

I would say faster. They're smoother, because of the speed at which the console runs. Better RAM and CPU with high powered GPU.

DuaIFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DuaIFace
Member since 2009 • 581 Posts

OP is missing out apparently. On sound. Even on previous gen. It was superb, and with a lot of games. Noteably, ever since the FrostBite Engine was introduced.

Update your systems OP.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

Sony will eventually pull the plug on PS3. Most of Sony's first party have moved on to PS4. If you want to continue playing new games on a Sony platform, then PS4 is the way to go. All these arguments about graphics, sound and interface do not really matter. What matters is that console makers will stop producing titles for their last generation systems and put new titles on the current generation machines regardless of how much power is used on the console. A third party game known as NIS could have probably put Disgaea 3 on PS2. That never happened. The game does not push the PS3's power at all, but the game was on that system anyway.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

More possibilities when it comes to games in terms of worlds, people, etc. Many reasons. As well as the Sony exclusives all going to be on PS4...not PS3 now.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

Oh man, are you wrong about sound haha

@The_Rick_14 said:

This is the best example for why PS4 would be a better choice over the PS3, we just gotta wait for more things to come in

nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts

@ghstbstr: PS4 supports both of those audio formats

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 StingingVelvet
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Graphics aren't more important but if gameplay is identical why not get the version with better graphics?

Every generation I buy multiplatform games on the console with better versions. Last two generations that was mostly Xbox and Xbox 360. This time it looks like it will be PS4. So I'll be getting most multiplatform games on PS4, because why not?

I'll still get an XBO eventually for exclusives, when they have several I really want.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@ghstbstr said:

Exclusives. Games that I can't get on my PC and/or PS3.

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

The price tag and being able to play games off screen on my Vita while I poop did it for me. It might save my marriage too when my wife wants to use the TV.

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@ghstbstr said:

Exclusives. Games that I can't get on my PC and/or PS3.

This.

Naughty Dog game <3 xxx

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ewalthour
Member since 2013 • 841 Posts

Case and point graphics don't Matter out gameplay is crap like ryse based on reviews. I love great looking games but he gameplay takes precedence over graphics. Graphics arethe icing on the cake. There is no doubt graphics will become a major upgrade by next yrs ps4 games. Look at mgs5,the order and second son also final fantasy

ghstbstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ghstbstr

@nightshade869: Yes the PS4 does support both of those audio formats, but not in games only for blu ray movies.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KHAndAnime

@ghstbstr said:

@nightshade869: Yes the PS4 does support both of those audio formats, but not in games only for blu ray movies.

Different formats of the same thing. You know 7.1 PCM is lossless right?

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#25 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

A long history of impeccable hardware reliability, Exclusives, Support, Controller and Exclusives.

While I appreciate solid graphics, they're but a small part of what makes gaming amazing. If you base your choices on aesthetics alone, you're going to miss out on some wonderful titles.

ghstbstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ghstbstr

@KHAndAnime: On paper it may be supposedly all the same, but to my hearing or atleast what my home theater sounds like the LPCM/Lossless doesn't sound as good as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KHAndAnime

@ghstbstr said:

@KHAndAnime: On paper it may be supposedly all the same, but to my hearing or atleast what my home theater sounds like the LPCM/Lossless doesn't sound as good as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

It's all in your head because you don't know what you're talking about. Lossless sound is lossless sound. One type of lossless sound isn't better than another type. Your home theater doesn't decode lossless formats in a way to make one sound better than another either. It plain-as-day doesn't work that way. They're identical despite what you personally think sounds better...

shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts

What about he improved gameplay? This topic is a joke.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#29 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

the games will become much larger this time around, that's what i am looking forward to. I am interested to see how Dragon Age and Mass Effect handle this and keep the quality with storytelling top notch.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

@ghstbstr said:

Well there's a big flaw with what you say in your opening. There's only so much you can do with hardware that isn't graphics related. Sure graphics can make a game look amazing, but does graphics have anything to do with how the gameplay or story is, how about the length of the game, I'm sure graphics matter there to? Graphics are important, but for the people that put graphics over everything else how do those games usually turn out? Most times mediocre. New consoles are needed because of the advancement in technology and what you can do with the game/s. After a period of time, the console/s show their age and we need new ones to fill the gap. The people that like those graphically good games, you think those games take up less space on a disc?
I'll gladly take a game that eases up on the graphics a bit, for one that has really good gameplay, story and length. Also one that runs really good as well. If all of that can be done while keeping top notch graphics, it will take the cake for me. But that is super rare these days for a game to do it all and do it well.

Sorry about the long post.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#31 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

OP should stop making threads.