So I just got done playing PS All-Stars Beta and.....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

I find it kind of sad how much it copies Smash Bros....Anyone who is still saying that its not a clone is just in denial.Everything from the way moves are used with pushing the thumbstick down or up etc and even to how when you dodge in the air you flash white just like in Smash Bros. Aside from the game mode which allows you to only kill your opponents by using your final smash type attack its one of the only differences. And are there even any other modes?

I'm not the one to usually do this and be all negative about it, but its hands down a clone. I gave it the benefit of the doubt and now after finally playing it I can now say yes its a clone and sadly it doesn't seem to play as well so far. And even if the full game does turn out to be better than this its still going to live in SUper Smash Bros shadow. Just like how Sonic All Stars Racing lives in the shadow of Mario Kart.

Kind of sad really.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#2 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

I find it kind of sad how much it copies Smash Bros....Anyone who is still saying that its not a clone is just in denial.Everything from the way moves are used with pushing the thumbstick down or up etc and even to how when you dodge in the air you flash white just like in Smash Bros. Aside from the game mode which allows you to only kill your opponents by using your final smash type attack its one of the only differences. And are there even any other modes?

I'm not the one to usually do this and be all negative about it, but its hands down a clone. I gave it the benefit of the doubt and now after finally playing it I can now say yes its a clone and sadly it doesn't seem to play as well so far. And even if the full game does turn out to be better than this its still going to live in SUper Smash Bros shadow. Just like how Sonic All Stars Racing lives in the shadow of Mario Kart.

Kind of sad really.

Vickman178

Ya, I knew i would be. I didn't download it because I knew it was just gonna be a copy. Plus the starting characters are ridiculous. I don't wanna play as Fat Princess.

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

Kind of sad really.

Vickman178
Um...so? There are a lot of games that "borrow" concepts from other games. Gears of War, Mafia II, Mass Effect, etc all use the same type of cover system. GTA and Saint's Row are similar games. If this game turns out to be an exact clone...who cares? People will still buy it just like other games that are just alike.
jeffster85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jeffster85
Member since 2010 • 2286 Posts
[QUOTE="Vickman178"]

Kind of sad really.

dalger21
Um...so? There are a lot of games that "borrow" concepts from other games. Gears of War, Mafia II, Mass Effect, etc all use the same type of cover system. GTA and Saint's Row are similar games. If this game turns out to be an exact clone...who cares? People will still buy it just like other games that are just alike.

the way i see it, SSB basically created a new sub-genre. sony is simply making a game in that sub-genre. while its still very clone-ish, its not as bad as people make it out to be. and really, if it ends up being a good game, who really cares?
dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts
[QUOTE="jeffster85"] the way i see it, SSB basically created a new sub-genre. sony is simply making a game in that sub-genre. while its still very clone-ish, its not as bad as people make it out to be. and really, if it ends up being a good game, who really cares?

Exactly.
Fear-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Fear-
Member since 2012 • 499 Posts
I thought that was the whole point of this game?
clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

What did you expect?! It was called a SSBB type of game. Of course it's going to play like it. Many-many games have copied. How many survival horrors are just like RE where you kill zombies? Tons. How many shooters are all nearly the same etc etc.

ReviewerDrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ReviewerDrake
Member since 2011 • 805 Posts

Everybody keeps on ****ing about it being a clone.... I'm glad it plays just like SSBB because I've been waiting for a game like that to come to the PS3. If you don't like it don't play it.

4NGoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 4NGoods
Member since 2007 • 1030 Posts
you're suprised by this? I knew this game was a clone from the first moment they announced it. shame really bc SB was a garbage game to begin with. if they wanted it to be any good they should have copied the powerstone style of gameplay.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i am little upset about the spamming in this game..... in smash brose nothing gets spammed....but in all stars that radec character is extremely annoying... they just stand in one side of the screen spamming sniper rifle shots then when you finally get close they teleport to the other side and rinse and repeat...

also the knock back on some of these moves is too much....sometimes i get hit and it knocks me all the way to the other side of the screen and it takes me like 10 sec to walk back to where i was. they should have added a run button or something.
the stages are too big.

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

Kind of sad really.

Vickman178
Did you really just call it a clone based off that there are items, a few minor graphical similarities, and multiple moves per button? And proceeded to claim the part that changes the entire gameplay is a minimal change? Yeah, sounds like a trustworthy opinion.
moondoggey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 moondoggey
Member since 2007 • 549 Posts

i am little upset about the spamming in this game..... in smash brose nothing gets spammed....but in all stars that radec character is extremely annoying... they just stand in one side of the screen spamming sniper rifle shots then when you finally get close they teleport to the other side and rinse and repeat...

also the knock back on some of these moves is too much....sometimes i get hit and it knocks me all the way to the other side of the screen and it takes me like 10 sec to walk back to where i was. they should have added a run button or something.
the stages are too big.

KBFloYd
im not saying anything bout it being a clone but i will say the game play in ps all-stars kinda sucks just imo
Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

What did you expect?! It was called a SSBB type of game. Of course it's going to play like it. Many-many games have copied. How many survival horrors are just like RE where you kill zombies? Tons. How many shooters are all nearly the same etc etc.

clr84651

Of course I understand that, its the fact that they even copied such minor things as the flashing white while dodging in the air and even the controls of Smash Bros and somehow made the game play worse.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#15 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Peopla talking about PSASBR copying SSB like its a bad thing...

We all know by now its a SSB with PS characters, nothing new but I actually think thats good! Now we can play a game like SSB with our beloved PS characters without having to buy another console to play a similar game.

Its a win-win situation. I dont give two f*ck if its a rip-off just aslong its still fun to play

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

Kind of sad really.

Vickman178
so there can only be one brawler type game? so there can be only one street fighter? i played the beta and i like it better than smash bro's...but i guess opinions is opinions...
HardGames420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 HardGames420
Member since 2011 • 233 Posts

[QUOTE="dalger21"][QUOTE="Vickman178"]

Kind of sad really.

jeffster85

the way i see it, SSB basically created a new sub-genre. sony is simply making a game in that sub-genre. while its still very clone-ish, its not as bad as people make it out to be. and really, if it ends up being a good game, who really cares?

Precisely, and I really enjoyed the beta. Never was into Smash Bros though, I only watched people play. They look incredibly similar but to me ALL Stars felt extremely polished in terms of its technical prowess and also felt pretty balanced.

CR00K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CR00K
Member since 2006 • 2657 Posts

Yeah, like I've said and others have said: They created a subgenre that was bound to be used later down the road by either Sony or Microsoft. It was only a matter of time.I'm sure people b****** and moaned when Tekken came out...being that Virtua Fighter was the first 3D fighter. You can really go all day with this. Doom was a 'copy' of Wolfenstein, blah blah blah.

Sony even put their own twist on it. You can't hide while other players are fighting. You are forced to fight and build your meter to score! I'm cool with that.

Will it have as big of an impact as Smash? Hell no. Will it bring Sony at least decent sells for Sony? I think it will. I'll be getting it, personally.

-Fromage-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 -Fromage-
Member since 2009 • 10572 Posts
Okay, so what? Is it fun at least?
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts
Okay, so what? Is it fun at least?-Fromage-
Yes. By far the highest amount of people who I've seen say they haven't liked it have been for them not liking party fighter games or it because it wasn't actually a copy of SSB (people who complain about the differences in gameplay as they try to play PSASBR like SSB, then proceed to call it a rip-off of SSB).
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

Kind of sad really.

Vickman178

even if it is a clone...how is that a bad thing? Smash is an amazing series...so to clone it wouldnt be a problem

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#22 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
All games have copied something from other games.. who cares as long as it's fun.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

All games have copied something from other games.. who cares as long as it's fun.Rattlesnake_8

This. And besides, this game allows us to play as a roster of our favourite video game characters that would never be available to Smash Bros. There's just something incredibly enjoyable about using one of your favourite video game characters to beat up your friends.

nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts

Kind of sad really.

Vickman178
Ummm, when making a fighting game like this....why the heck wouldn't you want to copy traits of one of the best and most popular games ever??? It would be stupid not to and it's nice that Sony is offering this type of game to Sony customers who do not currently have it.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

I'm also looking forward to it.

Only thing I'm sad about so far is that it's cast of characters has no chance to ever be as epic as the Nintendo cast (and they even got Sega AND Sony in their last installment with Solid Snake and Sonic! ) Nothing can beat that as much as I'd wish for.

Also, I want a FF char in the cast! Preferably Squall Leonhart ^^

chaotzu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 chaotzu
Member since 2005 • 773 Posts
Sonic = Mario clone Tekken = Virtua Fighter clone Uncharted = Tomb Raider clone Saint's Row = GTA clone Call of Duty = Medal of Honor clone So you don't like those game either? A sad life, you have...
Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

I like this game waaay more than SSB and it isn't even out yet. 2v2 is especially fun. All the characters in the beta play really well and even FFA requires some skill to win (minus Radec spammers). After the beta i don't ever want to play SSBB again, it would be too much of a step-down. SSB4 I'll at least try of course.

romainsimoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 romainsimoni
Member since 2002 • 1955 Posts

Copy all you want, I'm cool with that. I'm not cool with it JUST being a copy and nothing more.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#29 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
I havn't gotten around to the Beta, and I might not even bother. Doubt it's going to be nearly as good as the game it's copying, but I'll just wait and see the response for it once it comes out before I even try it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Copy all you want, I'm cool with that. I'm not cool with it JUST being a copy and nothing more.

romainsimoni

But it isnt a straight copy going by previews that say the game plays distinctively from SSB. People are uninformed about this game, it seems.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Uncharted = Tomb Raider clone chaotzu

Am sorry but... no

These game play nothing like one another. If Uncharted is a Tomb Raider clone then TR is a Indiana Jones clone, as these games share the only caracteristic they have in common: Archaeology/Treasure Hunting

Gampley wise, character etc they have nothing in comon

Shooting mechanics

Uncharted = Over the shoulder

TR = Traditional Over the head

Platforming

Uncharted = Traversal

TR = Traditional platforming

Puzzles

Uncharted = Logic puzzles

TR = Environmental puzzles

Level design

Uncharted = Linear

TR = Open levels

People sayin Uncharted is a TR clone dont know wtf they're talkin about

Avatar image for DarkBloodPrince
DarkBloodPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DarkBloodPrince
Member since 2007 • 470 Posts

The only thing i hate is that you need to use a special to beat your opponents i prefer if they had a health meter or something like that.

Also i do not care if its a SSB clone i been wanting a game like this on the Playstation since i first played SSB on the Gamecube.

jeffster85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jeffster85
Member since 2010 • 2286 Posts

The only thing i hate is that you need to use a special to beat your opponents i prefer if they had a health meter or something like that.

Also i do not care if its a SSB clone i been wanting a game like this on the Playstation since i first played SSB on the Gamecube.

DarkBloodPrince
i like this way, actually. gives more incentive to stay in the battle, as opposed to avoiding contact until one 1 other person is left.