So, how much are you willing to pay for PS4?

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by DH1278 (106 posts) -

I have to say that the fact that they didn't mention a price worries me, because I believe they're going the expensive route.

So, after seeing what you've seen thus far, how much are you willing to pay? For me, not more than $400.

The fact remains that its a closed system. No specifications were truly given on the resolution of games or the frame rates they were running, and I truly don't care about the things that don't involve the 'gaming' part of the system itself.

It is not my attempt to bash or create a war, just curious as to what you think after the first glimpse.

P.S. Too much 'into the future'.

#2 Posted by zepfya (1209 posts) -
Until I know the launch titles zero, tired of waiting for a long time for good games to come out. I bet most of launch titles will be playable on the ps3.
#3 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (602 posts) -

According to rumors I've seen, they'll have a cheap version in the 400-450 (us dollars) range. I'm sure they'll have a regular console around 500-600 (with actual adequate memory for a real gamer).

I've paid $1200 a couple times for a gaming PC in my life... I'm 40 and have been gaming since Pong and the Radio Shack TRS80 PC back in the 70's. I'm not worried about paying $500-$600 for a PS4. This is normal considering you are paying for a system that can still hold up 6-8 years from now (when the next gen comes out). I worry more about the quality of the system than how much it will cost. You really have to consider that it has to be relevant for years to come.

#4 Posted by Caybrown (3722 posts) -
I might be wrong but I thought most consoles don't announce the price until like a month before release or closer to the date. I know that the Wii u took a while to announce the price and specs. But I would say wait until E3 or a month or two to see the price and more specs. I think it'll most likely be expensive because Ps3 started out that way. I wouldn't pay more than $399.but I will wait until I see a price drop into the future.
Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
#5 Posted by JasonDarksavior (9323 posts) -
About $600 - 700 AUD.
#6 Posted by DH1278 (106 posts) -

According to rumors I've seen, they'll have a cheap version in the 400-450 (us dollars) range. I'm sure they'll have a regular console around 500-600 (with actual adequate memory for a real gamer).

I've paid $1200 a couple times for a gaming PC in my life... I'm 40 and have been gaming since Pong and the Radio Shack TRS80 PC back in the 70's. I'm not worried about paying $500-$600 for a PS4. This is normal considering you are paying for a system that can still hold up 6-8 years from now (when the next gen comes out). I worry more about the quality of the system than how much it will cost. You really have to consider that it has to be relevant for years to come.

DaRq_MiNoS
Its great that you mention the fact of it being relevant for years to come. I think what has happen in the past 2-3 years with smartphones, tables and similar devices, and how the market continues to change so rapidly, played a huge influence in the delay of new systems. Having said that, will they truly be able to maintain a system for the time the maintained the current gen (maybe a topic on its own)? I know I'm gonna get one eventually because I love Sony's exclusive games too much. But the fact remains that for a closed system, and with the upcoming release of "Steam box" (I already own a PC, and have little interest on the Steam box itself, just mentioning it for the sake of comparison), is a new, limited console, worth that much in such an environment as we live today?
#7 Posted by MarcRecon (8163 posts) -

400.00....anything more then that I'll just wait for a price cut!! I got a PS3 and 360 with a backlong of games to keep me busy for a loooooooong time!!

#8 Posted by mariokart64fan (20783 posts) -

without ps3 backwards compatibility -300 - 400 max anything over and sony shoots it self in the foot because wiiu is 350 and is basically fully backwards compatible with wii games and all vc games on wii ,

more value already in the wiiu ,

dont say but the graphicsd i could care less  my ps3 looks amazing as it is,  as does the wiiu , 

if its over 400  thats it ill wait ,

hope 720 is cheaper if not then yes i will ,,for xmas ,lol ,

but i will end up with both consoles either way so judge me not

#9 Posted by arcangelgold (342 posts) -
$200. i never buy new consoles I always end up getting a much better version for cheaper later, after everyone else has all their issues with it. I just don't spend the kind of money others do on games. They make too much money anyways. Also as many have said in other forums when you add in the second controller and some games to start with it gets way too expensive. The economy is horrible and money is tight for families. Our family won't pay $600 to play a game.
#10 Posted by Asim90 (3692 posts) -

I shall stretch to £350 for this new machine.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
#11 Posted by StrongBlackVine (13262 posts) -

$200. i never buy new consoles I always end up getting a much better version for cheaper later, after everyone else has all their issues with it. I just don't spend the kind of money others do on games. They make too much money anyways. Also as many have said in other forums when you add in the second controller and some games to start with it gets way too expensive. The economy is horrible and money is tight for families. Our family won't pay $600 to play a game.arcangelgold

You can't even buy a new PS3 for $200. You may as well skip the next generation entirely.

#12 Posted by arcangelgold (342 posts) -
I just might :)
#13 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
I still don't know anything. Couldn't watch the thing live and can't find a video of it to download. Either way, my max hasn't and won't change. $300 is the absolute max I am willing to pay for a PS4.
#14 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8655 posts) -
$200. i never buy new consoles I always end up getting a much better version for cheaper later, after everyone else has all their issues with it. I just don't spend the kind of money others do on games. They make too much money anyways. Also as many have said in other forums when you add in the second controller and some games to start with it gets way too expensive. The economy is horrible and money is tight for families. Our family won't pay $600 to play a game.arcangelgold
I consider my old fatty ps3 the better version. Even so you can't get a ps3 for 200 new even now. Isn't the 360 with a decent hard drive still more too? I haven't looked.
#15 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6959 posts) -

No more than £600

#16 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
$200. i never buy new consoles I always end up getting a much better version for cheaper later, after everyone else has all their issues with it.arcangelgold
Good luck with that considering the best PS3 version was the launch version. From there they removed things with every redesign they released and it still hasn't dropped to $200.
#17 Posted by hyperjj3000 (974 posts) -
I would pay $350 but i would never buy at launch.
#18 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8655 posts) -
I most be more of a tech guy than gamer. I have no problem with 500 or 600 to get good tech at launch.
#19 Posted by Asim90 (3692 posts) -

No more than £600

Venom_Raptor

£600?! You'd seriously be willing to spend £600?! I thought I was being generous at £350, okay maybe I'd stretch to £400. £600 is ridiculous though.

#20 Posted by junglist101 (5517 posts) -

I'm willing to pay whatever they want to charge.  I forget how much I paid for my launch 60gig but I think it was like $700-800.

I'm hoping a higher price will keep demand a little lower so it's easier to get one at launch.  

#21 Posted by sruane23 (192 posts) -

I have to say that the fact that they didn't mention a price worries me, because I believe they're going the expensive route.

So, after seeing what you've seen thus far, how much are you willing to pay? For me, not more than $400.

The fact remains that its a closed system. No specifications were truly given on the resolution of games or the frame rates they were running, and I truly don't care about the things that don't involve the 'gaming' part of the system itself.

It is not my attempt to bash or create a war, just curious as to what you think after the first glimpse.

P.S. Too much 'into the future'.

DH1278

Pretty much depends on a few things. In a perfect world I would have a 1TB HDD so I could store a large amount of downloadable full sized games over the life of the console. Also, I'd like it to use RF technology so I can link it to my Harmony remote. I'd like to see Knack as a launch title, and some other EXCLUSIVE PS4 games. If it has the first 2 things I listed I'm pretty much happy paying $600.00, overall I'm expecting to pay $500 to $530 for a 'premium' model. Obviously if it's $400 I'm satisfied I'm just not counting on it.

#22 Posted by barsoffury (116 posts) -

I'll go $400. Now I highly doubt it will be that. My guess is that it will be $550-$600, and that's fine with me. I'll stick with my ps3 and the loads of games it has and games it will have. Not to mention we'll see price drops with ps3 games and such. Realistically it will hit my price range when the system is two years old.

#23 Posted by The_Rick_14 (9945 posts) -

Way too early to tell because we still don't know quite a bit like what the Cloud service through Gaikai will cost and how many games will be available at launch for both PS4 and through Gaikai. Long story short, I'm waiting for both more info and details about PS4 and to see what the competition has up its sleeve.

As far as them not giving the price yet, it makes a lot of sense to me because they are expecting a competetor to release around the same time. If Sony were too announce a price, the other guys could low ball them. Unfortunatley its all strategy. I wouldn't expect a price until probably E3 in June or maybe PAX East at the end of March at the earliest. 

#24 Posted by NoirLamia777 (3180 posts) -

I have a job.  I'm expecting $400-$450.

#25 Posted by DarkGamer007 (6033 posts) -

450$ USD with 400$ UDS being prefered. EDIT: I would pay over 500$ if it came with a year of Playstation Plus and game.

#26 Posted by nyc05 (10190 posts) -

Whatever they ask.  It's a PlayStation console, and I have no problem paying whatever.  Why?  Because I know that, for me, they will deliver the best gaming experience out there.

Day freakin' one.

#27 Posted by MercenaryMafia (2917 posts) -
$399.99
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
#28 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -
I'd comfortably pay $550.
#29 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8655 posts) -
I pay like 300 for each of my PC video cards. I don't see problem with 500 for entire system
#30 Posted by Basinboy (13914 posts) -

Not sure when I'll buy one, but at launch, I would consider shelling out $500 but no more

#31 Posted by cooldust (3283 posts) -
I would go to £500 ($760)
#32 Posted by 2Chalupas (7096 posts) -

[QUOTE="arcangelgold"]$200. i never buy new consoles I always end up getting a much better version for cheaper later, after everyone else has all their issues with it.AmazonTreeBoa
Good luck with that considering the best PS3 version was the launch version. From there they removed things with every redesign they released and it still hasn't dropped to $200.

Actually it's been $199 numerous times (and with games throwin into the package as well). However that hasn't happened until the last two Black Fridays.

It would be nice to have had the launch versions, but it was almost double the price I paid for the PS3 slim in 2009. To me, there was not enough to justify $300 premium in the launch version ($599) vs the slim version ($299). I'm glad I waited despite a few features taken out (frankly it was lacking on games early on as well, which is far more important to me than losing a couple of USB ports). Backwards compatibility was not a concern to me anyway, because I was still playing on my PS2 through 2007-2008. Obviously looking back now, it would be "nice to have", but it still wasn't worth paying $300 extra for.  

I think this time, my price target is $399. If it launches at that price, based on what I saw, no doubt it's a day 1 buy because it just feels like it will get much better initial support than PS3. If it's $499, then I will probably wait around a little bit for a value bundle or something like that... rather than the absolute day 1 launch.

#33 Posted by Pikminmaniac (11371 posts) -

I'm worried about the price given the specs, controller, and what is sentially a kinnect that's included.

I'm willing to pay $350, but most certainly not at launch. I'll wait until the hardware is reliable

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
#34 Posted by deactivated-57e5de5e137a4 (12929 posts) -
Assuming there are some games I want for it, $400. If it's more than that, I'll wait until it's not.
#35 Posted by Bear-3RT (25 posts) -
Anything below $599 will be fine with me.
#36 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

Up to £400

#37 Posted by Threesixtyci (4451 posts) -
I might buy it a year or 2 after release.....Buying these things at release never turns out well.
#38 Posted by new_gamer244 (338 posts) -

Like always...here in israel, it will cost 1000$...damn govermant with there taxes.

#39 Posted by Namgis (3592 posts) -

Launch - $400.

Slim - $250.

-

It's all dependant on the looks, stability and sturdiness of the machine. If the launch model is superior in all aspects, I'd get that. If not, I'd wait till a slimmer model hits shelves. I like my slim PS3, it's done it's job supremely well.

#40 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (602 posts) -

I'll pay whatever it is. The latest rumor says there'll be a $430 version and a $530 version (US). I've bought a couple of $1200 gaming computers before, so I'm willing to pay it... god knows I'll get the hours out of it.

#41 Posted by munkeypoo45 (3221 posts) -

max 500$ but personally/ideally it should be 400$ or around that number

#42 Posted by CommanderShiro (21746 posts) -

$300-400

#43 Posted by Mrmedia01 (1917 posts) -

$400 to $500. I will be saving now a little here and there until it comes out. I would not wnt to go over the $500 mark. Think Sony will keep it at $500 or below.

#44 Posted by Mrmedia01 (1917 posts) -

without ps3 backwards compatibility -300 - 400 max anything over and sony shoots it self in the foot because wiiu is 350 and is basically fully backwards compatible with wii games and all vc games on wii ,

more value already in the wiiu ,

dont say but the graphicsd i could care less  my ps3 looks amazing as it is,  as does the wiiu , 

if its over 400  thats it ill wait ,

hope 720 is cheaper if not then yes i will ,,for xmas ,lol ,

but i will end up with both consoles either way so judge me not

mariokart64fan

Yeah but no one in there right mind wants to play crappy Wii games, awww a few are ok but that would get boring quick. ORginal wii is dead, no one even cares about it anymore.

#45 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
ill give sony my bank details, WANT ONE NAOO
#46 Posted by TonyDanzaFan (2973 posts) -
Honestly, $500. $600 if it comes with some sort of special bundle or something. I paid whatever that original motorstorm bundle was, and that was like $700 if I remember correctly, and it was totally worth it. I'll have no problem doing the same with PS4.
#47 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8655 posts) -
Honestly, $500. $600 if it comes with some sort of special bundle or something. I paid whatever that original motorstorm bundle was, and that was like $700 if I remember correctly, and it was totally worth it. I'll have no problem doing the same with PS4. TonyDanzaFan
That was the same PS3 bundle I bought. That PS3 is still going strong, though I got bored and traded in Motorstorm years ago. I cant remember how much it was but I'd be willing to pay it again lol
Avatar image for GeneralMufinMan
#48 Posted by GeneralMufinMan (387 posts) -
Nothing untill we know more, but if it doesn't have any major screw-ups and some decent launch titles, I'd pay $300 at launch, or get it a year+ later when it reaches that point. unless the next xbox has blu-ray and does everything right, then I'll just stay with microsoft, at least untill i have enough extra moola to afford two consoles.
#49 Posted by Sokol4ever (6699 posts) -

Up to 450$. Anything past that will be too much for my budget. ;)

#50 Posted by lild1425 (6757 posts) -

Bingo and Yahtzee