SKYPE Another horrible add-on by sony!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

maninatrunk77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 0

#1 maninatrunk77
Member since 2007 • 236 Posts

Man, for god sakes, skype has so many hidden fee's for calling phones, you have to buy all these dumb credit's I mean why couldn't sony fix the things that are all ready on it, the internet radio is dumb and annoying to mess with, internet explorer is practically useless for the websites you'd really like to go to, you can't even access the PS store from your psp! I mean it's like they try way to hard to get people buying psp's when all the loads of crappy add-on's don't even work for anything!

Autobon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 Autobon
Member since 2007 • 927 Posts
Hidden fee's for skype? No there is not. Calling another skype account is FREE, but calling a phone is not. They already told you that, you just cant read, so you blame "hidden" charges, lol.
maninatrunk77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 maninatrunk77
um, maybe YOU can't read, theres a connection fee charge (to contact phones) theres these dumb credits you have to buy meaning no sort of plans you just have to prepay everything, you have to have the sony psp specific headphones,duh.
Vicius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Vicius
Member since 2003 • 337 Posts
I like the internet radio
Autobon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Autobon
Member since 2007 • 927 Posts

um, maybe YOU can't read, theres a connection fee charge (to contact phones) theres these dumb credits you have to buy meaning no sort of plans you just have to prepay everything, you have to have the sony psp specific headphones,duh.maninatrunk77

I just said there was a fee for calling phones. Read my post. Calling another skype account is free (PSP and PC) but calling phones costs money. They already told us that, so its not some "hidden" fee. Again, learn to read.

mthe1337one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mthe1337one
Member since 2005 • 2539 Posts

um, maybe YOU can't read, theres a connection fee charge (to contact phones) theres these dumb credits you have to buy meaning no sort of plans you just have to prepay everything, you have to have the sony psp specific headphones,duh.maninatrunk77

and the fact that various reviews have given people fair warning about everything you just mentioned means nothing to you?

and yes calling another skype account IS free, as opposed to calling land-lines or cell phones,duh.

man...i hate having to go down to your level just to explain this kind of stuff to people like you...

pikastar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 pikastar
Member since 2006 • 3405 Posts
I havent even bothered updating yet. I couldnt care less about Skype and I really dont even want it on my psp. It doesnt interest me and I have no use for it. Too bad I cant just get the PSN update and not Skype, they should have offered a seperate update for people who dont want it.
nickjpn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nickjpn
Member since 2004 • 92 Posts

wow, what an ignorant original post. Skype tells you exactly what it serves as, and spoiled modern day internet users simply cannot see the value of FREE international voice and video chat provided at such a high quality as skype offers. Original poster, think about it: skype lets you talk to your friends who have skype accounts for free, FREE. It ALSO, for a fee, lets you call landlines around the world like an international calling card (but often cheaper if you are in a foreign country calling to your home in what I presume to be the West). I have credit on it, and I also pay 3 dollars a month to make calls to landlines anywhere in north america (read: ANYWHERE). My old service provider (Bell Canada) charged me 30 bucks a month for a landline, and charged me rediculous fees for long distance (within Canada no less).

Skype is why the internet is the equivalent to the industrial revolution of the 1800's in terms of revolution. Ok, I exaggerate, but I think that I would have a hell of a time going back to a skypeless world, just like going back to an internet-less one.

So, in closing, even though I acknowledge your opinion, I feel that it is misinformed and in need of illumination.

vitz3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 vitz3
Member since 2004 • 1884 Posts
Uhh. I subscribed to Skype Pro this morning and I must say it's much better than the alternative here. $3/month for unlimited calling in north america. Yes please. Now I need to get a slim PSP, as I only have Phat.
mthe1337one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mthe1337one
Member since 2005 • 2539 Posts

the idea of skype itself on PSP is awesome, but a few problems:

1. you have to stay logged onto your skype account the whole time on your PSP

2. you better hope you have a damn good wireless connection in EVERY room in your home

3. PSP's battery isn't exactly going to allow you to keep your PSP on the whole time in order to adhere to reason number 1 above.

IGN folks said that lag was on-and-off, but i'm assuming something like that can be fixed over time

nickjpn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nickjpn
Member since 2004 • 92 Posts

2. you better hope you have a damn good wireless connection in EVERY room in your home

3. PSP's battery isn't exactly going to allow you to keep your PSP on the whole time in order to adhere to reason number 1 above.

IGN folks said that lag was on-and-off, but i'm assuming something like that can be fixed over time

mthe1337one

I agree with you on your points, and I think that they are real problems. However, to counter them with my own solutions, I have would have to say that the prospect of using skype ONLY on my PSP never occured to me. I leave my laptop on with skype running to take calls and messages, while I plan on using my PSP skype on the road, either at my university, local wifi hotspots, and around my appartment if I want to simulateously cook, etc. without staying connected to my PC to talk.

Just some thoughts.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts

Man, for god sakes, skype has so many hidden fee's for calling phones, you have to buy all these dumb credit's I mean why couldn't sony fix the things that are all ready on it, the internet radio is dumb and annoying to mess with, internet explorer is practically useless for the websites you'd really like to go to, you can't even access the PS store from your psp! I mean it's like they try way to hard to get people buying psp's when all the loads of crappy add-on's don't even work for anything!

maninatrunk77
Umm, I pay $3/mo for SkypePro and have unlimited calling to US/Canadian phone numbers. No credits and pretty damn cheap; sorry you failed to research before posting :(
Drunko_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Drunko_Elf
Member since 2008 • 261 Posts
I have had Skype on my PC for around 4-5 years now, I think it's great. The fact that it is coming to PSP is awsome. I think you're all forgetting that it will still be on the PC so you won't need to keep your PSP on all day. I agree that lnternet Radio sucks, but dissagree about Internet Explorer seeming I am writing this on my PSP right now with a tab open on the PSP store.
maninatrunk77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 maninatrunk77

mthe1337one

I agree but if you can only call people when your around your wireless conection wtf is the point of that, no wonder its so cheap, because all it is is a cordless homephone, and you can't even do anything while you use skype unless (yes another hidden charge) you buy the frecking voicemail **** which mind you is only available for other skype users, so whats the freckin point?

Foir the rest of you, I mean really, I know what I read, and theres plenty of things they never said at first just liek the buy of voicemail which you would really need a lot because otherwise you would just have to have your psp plugged into your charger all day while its logged into the system, I mean tell me thats not rediculous and the whole point of this post wasn't just hidden charges in case you read the first couple of lines and then posted, this was more about the fact that sony just keeps adding all this dumb bull**** when they won't even give what they've all ready added funcionality!

maninatrunk77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 maninatrunk77

I have had Skype on my PC for around 4-5 years now, I think it's great. The fact that it is coming to PSP is awsome. I think you're all forgetting that it will still be on the PC so you won't need to keep your PSP on all day. I agree that lnternet Radio sucks, but dissagree about Internet Explorer seeming I am writing this on my PSP right now with a tab open on the PSP store.Drunko_Elf

What are you talking about? when you go to the ps store on your psp it comes up with a page that says this site wasn't made for use on a portable device! plus I'd like to see you go to ebay.com and successfully log in, it will not happen! BAsically the IE on the PSP is basically the equal to IE 5.0 for the pc, and some sites are too advanced and won't display alot of the info

scaryteddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 scaryteddy
Member since 2005 • 599 Posts
If your looking to replace your current cell phone or home land line, Skype on the PSP is not going to do it. 3 dollars a month is a very reasonable fee for the service considering the limitations of wi-fi over traditional cell phone services. I don't have a cell phone, but look forward to using the Skype feature on my PSP. Aside from having hooked up wi-fi in my house, there are several places I hang out that have free wi-fi also. I have already been using Skype for some time on my computer and have several of my friends on it as well. I can just copy my existing account over to my PSP. How sweet is that?
C-Himura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#17 C-Himura
Member since 2004 • 2160 Posts
[QUOTE="mthe1337one"]

maninatrunk77

I agree but if you can only call people when your around your wireless conection wtf is the point of that, no wonder its so cheap, because all it is is a cordless homephone, and you can't even do anything while you use skype unless (yes another hidden charge) you buy the frecking voicemail **** which mind you is only available for other skype users, so whats the freckin point?

Foir the rest of you, I mean really, I know what I read, and theres plenty of things they never said at first just liek the buy of voicemail which you would really need a lot because otherwise you would just have to have your psp plugged into your charger all day while its logged into the system, I mean tell me thats not rediculous and the whole point of this post wasn't just hidden charges in case you read the first couple of lines and then posted, this was more about the fact that sony just keeps adding all this dumb bull**** when they won't even give what they've all ready added funcionality!

Ok, I don't want to sound like a jackass, but maybe that way you'll understand. Wtf are you complaining about an upgrade??? Even if it has problems, they are giving your PSP, a handheld that was made for playing games, not a communication device, the chance to be used to contact other people. If you don't like it, don't get it! No one is forcing you! If you just want to get the update, by all means go, is not like you have to install the frigging program.

If you don't want it, don't get! But don't complain about something that is obviously a feature that can become great with time. Some people... and you say you read? Then read your own answers and spot all of your grammatical mishaps! English is not my Native language and I have better grammar than you.

kakashi_AnBu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 kakashi_AnBu
Member since 2005 • 1072 Posts

Its free (not including calling cell phones and landlines). What more do you really need? Are you going to complain at Costco when they give free samples that you don't like the food? No, you can just throw it away and not consume the rest of it. If you really hate Skype all that much, then ignore it. Seriously, complaining for something given for free to you is stupid.

I use it to get free international calls to my friends across the Pacific (they all use skype). I also am planning to use it as a voice chat with my friends (since they all have PSP slims) when we get together to play Company of Heroes or World in Conflict. Its not meant to be a cell phone. Its more like a landline phone in your house or in wifi areas.

B-bad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#19 B-bad
Member since 2002 • 5705 Posts

this is really silly, Skype is an added feature of the PSP you dont have to use it if you dont like it. Sony doesn't own Skype so you can't blame them for Skype fees. Needing to buy the headset w/mic and the headset w/remote is stupid they should be one piece, that being said these were on the market before skype. Anyone who uses vioce chat in online games like Socom, syphon filter, killzone, marvel ultimate alliance already have it, plus the remote is handy and the headset w/mic sound better.

Internet browser, internet radio, Rss, are all extra features you dont have to use them. Sony has added alot of value to the PSP over the years without charging any extra for it, you can either enjoy it or skip it why complaint about it.

dunny55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 dunny55
Member since 2007 • 819 Posts

this is really silly, Skype is an added feature of the PSP you dont have to use it if you dont like it. Sony doesn't own Skype so you can't blame them for Skype fees. Needing to buy the headset w/mic and the headset w/remote is stupid they should be one piece, that being said these were on the market before skype. Anyone who uses vioce chat in online games like Socom, syphon filter, killzone, marvel ultimate alliance already have it, plus the remote is handy and the headset w/mic sound better.

Internet browser, internet radio, Rss, are all extra features you dont have to use them. Sony has added alot of value to the PSP over the years without charging any extra for it, you can either enjoy it or skip it why complaint about it.

B-bad

agreed

fiercedeity901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 fiercedeity901
Member since 2005 • 6291 Posts
I havent even bothered updating yet. I couldnt care less about Skype and I really dont even want it on my psp. It doesnt interest me and I have no use for it. Too bad I cant just get the PSN update and not Skype, they should have offered a seperate update for people who dont want it.
pikastar
dude...who cares...it's just there and doesnt' use up any space at all...if u don't like it...DON'T USE IT...not updating ur firmware cause skype is on it is the dumbest thing i've ever heard it's like ur a little kid again and ur afriad of cooties...skype is just there, don't worry about it
maninatrunk77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 maninatrunk77
HAHAHA for all of you who said STOP COMPLAINING! Are you kidding me? Last time I checked I payed 200 dollars for the psp, I mean maybe most of you got mommy and daddy to, but I didn't, and I bought this because of the extra features so I can complain ALL I WANT. Yeah sure the update is free, but it's not free if you DIDN'T PAY THE MONEY TO GET TH PSP IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!! I wanted an Internet explorer that works for ANYTHING, I've got a cell phoen that does a better job at that! I mean really Some of you that posted are only ones that posted because you like skype, I bet you 75% of everyone that has the ability to use skype might use it for one day, and then stop! All I'm trying to say here is Sony puts one thing on the psp, then puts one more thing right back on the psp, so its liek it has all of these unpolished feautures. how dare any of you say that I can't complain when I damn well can.
B-bad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#23 B-bad
Member since 2002 • 5705 Posts

HAHAHA for all of you who said STOP COMPLAINING! Are you kidding me? Last time I checked I payed 200 dollars for the psp, I mean maybe most of you got mommy and daddy to, but I didn't, and I bought this because of the extra features so I can complain ALL I WANT. Yeah sure the update is free, but it's not free if you DIDN'T PAY THE MONEY TO GET TH PSP IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!! I wanted an Internet explorer that works for ANYTHING, I've got a cell phoen that does a better job at that! I mean really Some of you that posted are only ones that posted because you like skype, I bet you 75% of everyone that has the ability to use skype might use it for one day, and then stop! All I'm trying to say here is Sony puts one thing on the psp, then puts one more thing right back on the psp, so its liek it has all of these unpolished feautures. how dare any of you say that I can't complain when I damn well can.maninatrunk77
Lmao please stop this is cracking me up :lol: you dont have to use the features of the PSP you could just play games. Sure the browser isnt the greatest, but it does work and comes in handy. It not suppose to be a PC replacement, oh and it's not internet explorer it's a custom browser made for the PSP. Skype is a great service, I have it running on my pc all the time, it's free to call other skype users pc and psp, calling landlines and cell phone cost but it's really cheap .... cheaper than a home phone or cell, the service on the psp works and there's always room for improvement that's the cool part of the psp it can always be upgraded.

But you're right you could complain about it if you want to, but it really does seem silly.

C-Himura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#24 C-Himura
Member since 2004 • 2160 Posts

[QUOTE="maninatrunk77"]HAHAHA for all of you who said STOP COMPLAINING! Are you kidding me? Last time I checked I payed 200 dollars for the psp, I mean maybe most of you got mommy and daddy to, but I didn't, and I bought this because of the extra features so I can complain ALL I WANT. Yeah sure the update is free, but it's not free if you DIDN'T PAY THE MONEY TO GET TH PSP IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!! I wanted an Internet explorer that works for ANYTHING, I've got a cell phoen that does a better job at that! I mean really Some of you that posted are only ones that posted because you like skype, I bet you 75% of everyone that has the ability to use skype might use it for one day, and then stop! All I'm trying to say here is Sony puts one thing on the psp, then puts one more thing right back on the psp, so its liek it has all of these unpolished feautures. how dare any of you say that I can't complain when I damn well can.B-bad

Lmao please stop this is cracking me up :lol: you dont have to use the features of the PSP you could just play games. Sure the browser isnt the greatest, but it does work and comes in handy. It not suppose to be a PC replacement, oh and it's not internet explorer it's a custom browser made for the PSP. Skype is a great service, I have it running on my pc all the time, it's free to call other skype users pc and psp, calling landlines and cell phone cost but it's really cheap .... cheaper than a home phone or cell, the service on the psp works and there's always room for improvement that's the cool part of the psp it can always be upgraded.

But you're right you could complain about it if you want to, but it really does seem silly.

Not to mention rather un-intelligent. I am proud you bought your own PSP, shows that you work, like most here that do make intelligent remarks. I don't use Skype, but I am not gonna complain, who knows, I might try it in the future. If all, is nice that I am being given a choice. And I bought my PSP to play games, not to have a portable computer, that's what my laptop is for. Complain if you want, is a free country, but you'll just keep looking stupid and whiny, certainly not what a real adult would be doing:roll:

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
HAHAHA for all of you who said STOP COMPLAINING! Are you kidding me? Last time I checked I payed 200 dollars for the psp, I mean maybe most of you got mommy and daddy to, but I didn't, and I bought this because of the extra features so I can complain ALL I WANT. Yeah sure the update is free, but it's not free if you DIDN'T PAY THE MONEY TO GET TH PSP IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!! I wanted an Internet explorer that works for ANYTHING, I've got a cell phoen that does a better job at that! I mean really Some of you that posted are only ones that posted because you like skype, I bet you 75% of everyone that has the ability to use skype might use it for one day, and then stop! All I'm trying to say here is Sony puts one thing on the psp, then puts one more thing right back on the psp, so its liek it has all of these unpolished feautures. how dare any of you say that I can't complain when I damn well can.maninatrunk77
Of course you can, but you sure have the tone of a petulent teenager when you do, and just as you can complain, we can comment on how juvenile you sound doing it.
pikastar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 pikastar
Member since 2006 • 3405 Posts

[QUOTE="pikastar"]I havent even bothered updating yet. I couldnt care less about Skype and I really dont even want it on my psp. It doesnt interest me and I have no use for it. Too bad I cant just get the PSN update and not Skype, they should have offered a seperate update for people who dont want it.
fiercedeity901
dude...who cares...it's just there and doesnt' use up any space at all...if u don't like it...DON'T USE IT...not updating ur firmware cause skype is on it is the dumbest thing i've ever heard it's like ur a little kid again and ur afriad of cooties...skype is just there, don't worry about it

LOL maybe you should learn to read next time. I didnt say I wasnt going to update, I said I havent bothered to update YET. Sorry if Im not in a huge rush and must immediately put an update on my PSP the minute it is avaliable, especially since the stuff doesnt interest me. I have a right to express something I would rather not put on my $200 system and acting immature sure as heck isnt making your arguement any more valid.

yellow013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 yellow013
Member since 2006 • 166 Posts

Talking about dumb and un-intelligent people, buying a psp only for sony extra features is the most dumb reason to buy a psp. Seriously.

homebrew.

Stop complaining.

nuff said.

maninatrunk77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 maninatrunk77

[QUOTE="maninatrunk77"]HAHAHA for all of you who said STOP COMPLAINING! Are you kidding me? Last time I checked I payed 200 dollars for the psp, I mean maybe most of you got mommy and daddy to, but I didn't, and I bought this because of the extra features so I can complain ALL I WANT. Yeah sure the update is free, but it's not free if you DIDN'T PAY THE MONEY TO GET TH PSP IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!! I wanted an Internet explorer that works for ANYTHING, I've got a cell phoen that does a better job at that! I mean really Some of you that posted are only ones that posted because you like skype, I bet you 75% of everyone that has the ability to use skype might use it for one day, and then stop! All I'm trying to say here is Sony puts one thing on the psp, then puts one more thing right back on the psp, so its liek it has all of these unpolished feautures. how dare any of you say that I can't complain when I damn well can.yellow013

Talking about dumb and un-intelligent people, buying a psp only for sony extra features is the most dumb reason to buy a psp. Seriously.

homebrew.

Stop complaining.

nuff said.

Um, excuse me, but did I say thats the only reason? I do not belive so, quit trying to take one thing I said and strech it out.

So you all think that its childish to complain of such things? So, basically you don't care what sony does, you'll just eat up whatever it shoves down your throat?

For the guy that said that the internet is not exactly like IE for the pc, this I know, but you can still do better things with it, just like internet radio, its barely funcional at all.

I can't beleive that none of you think that sony having put on a new (use-less to most) add-on while instead they could put a little bit of that man power into making what's are ready there better, is beyond me. so you all would rather have 30 diffrent things and add-on's and programs on your psp then 10 that work perfectly and are very funcional for most if not all users?

For the last time, I know that I don't have to use the add-on, but to me its frustrating to have invested 200 bucks into something that is (in my opinion) going no where.

kingrich06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 110

#30 kingrich06
Member since 2006 • 5403 Posts
skype is great but i would rather use it on my pc than psp
dbd333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dbd333
Member since 2004 • 508 Posts
I would trade all the add-ons for a longer lasting battery.
symrun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 symrun
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

InNternet radio maybe a little stupid

But the RSS and Skype is pretty Kwl

You can ring any other Psp

And i ca listen to the hotspot on my psp

Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#33 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts
I don't really use any feature of the PSP, hardly ever. Just to play games. So all the add-ons, don't matter to me.
maninatrunk77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 maninatrunk77
SEE! thank you guys, there are much better things you can do with whats all ready there, why waste your time on something that probably 20% of users will even attept to use more that 5 times
kakashi_AnBu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 kakashi_AnBu
Member since 2005 • 1072 Posts

But then again, its free. And, it IS like Internet Explorer for Windows. Its just there. You can't really get rid of it and it DOES function. But then, there are so many better options out there (Im typing this out on firefox right now).

But, according to what you are saying, you bought the PSP for the extra features. Okay. Paying $200 for who knows what in the future. I doubt it. I bet you bought it because it can play games at near PS2 quality, can play music, and has a good size screen for movies. They never really announced any particular new features.

That, for me, is good enough for me. I bought it in aticipation for Metal Gear Solid games, Final Fantasy games, and console like games. I didn't even start using my music player until later, and my movie player way after that. So, in a way, the mp3 player (which I use regularly), the photo viewer (which I use occasionally to show my friends vacation pictures), and the movie player (I still prefer to watch my anime on my huge computer screen) are extra features. And if skype is there, then why not use it?I mean, we all bought consoles for more than this amount, yet they do less than the PSP can.

scaryteddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 scaryteddy
Member since 2005 • 599 Posts

so who here likes macoroni and cheese?dunny55

Me.