Silent Hill HD, any reason I should not purchase it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

conmbo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 conmbo2
Member since 2012 • 112 Posts

I recently purchased Silent Hill Downpour and I loved it! Its the only game in the last year I have really liked and all the reviews said it was terrible... just like Silent Hill HD, so now I am thinking about spending the 20 dollars and getting it. Is there any reason why I should not buy this game?

I don't care about gameplay or graphics, I like sound and plot.

I have Black ops 2 , Gears 3 and I think both are terrible.. The last game i played I liked this much was uncharted 3 and Heavy rain

Thoughts? Im open to critisism

Matt

Nintatterdemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Nintatterdemon
Member since 2010 • 69 Posts
It's a good collection but the ports have some issues. Reviews cover it better than I could so pop over to metacritic and look there. Still, they're some of the best horror games.
conmbo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 conmbo2

It's a good collection but the ports have some issues. Reviews cover it better than I could so pop over to metacritic and look there. Still, they're some of the best horror games.Nintatterdemon

Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah , I read some reviews.. I will check out metacritic.... but it seemed all the complaining was the voiceovers and framerate glitches but the ps3 put out a patch to fix it... so it seems it worth purchasing?

Matt

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

If you like the Silent hill series. Buy it. Reviews don't matter if you enjoy the series. Reviewers may of may not even like the franchises they review. So I always take that into consideration.

If you enjoyed Slinet hill downpour. Even if the critics panned it. You liked the game. that is what matters. So Silent Hill HD is for you. Unless you cannot spare the cash.

conmbo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 conmbo2

thanks for the insight! The reviews can be strange.... halo 4 got a 9.8 when I would probally give it a 7.5.... I guess its all up to opinions

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#6 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

thanks for the insight! The reviews can be strange.... halo 4 got a 9.8 when I would probally give it a 7.5.... I guess its all up to opinions

conmbo2
That's all a review is: an opinion.
makoreactors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 makoreactors
Member since 2004 • 803 Posts

If you're a fan of silent hill then yes just get it. Have you played them before? If you haven't and enjoyed downpour i think 20$ is a no brainer.

I been a fan forever, If you have played the games back in the ps2 days then the games will be almost the same. except the voices are changed in silent hill 3!!! totally bummed me out because i liked the original voice actor for heather.

anyways im going off topic haha. long story short, yes get it but only reason you would not want it is because you might remember them being way more awesome back then, than they are now. Still good though.

punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 punisher1
Member since 2004 • 3290 Posts

I recently purchased Silent Hill Downpour and I loved it! Its the only game in the last year I have really liked and all the reviews said it was terrible... just like Silent Hill HD, so now I am thinking about spending the 20 dollars and getting it. Is there any reason why I should not buy this game?

I don't care about gameplay or graphics, I like sound and plot.

I have Black ops 2 , Gears 3 and I think both are terrible.. The last game i played I liked this much was uncharted 3 and Heavy rain

Thoughts? Im open to critisism

Matt

conmbo2
no reason at all really. Honestly I thought the first 2 games where ever good. Then it just became less horror more disturbing(aka gross out factor).
osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

If you beat the two on the ps2 then you don't need it. Its the same game with 720p textures not even in full HD. the only thing it really adds to the game is new voice acting whitch is hit and miss. I got it because i did not play both games much at all and i was happy with it. I think it may be in 1080p on the 360 but im not sure.

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
In my opinion, as someone who first experienced these games in the HD Collection, Silent Hill 2 didn't age very well. Silent Hill 3 is fantastic and has aged well. When I played them, both had TERRIBLE framerates. Literally the worst I've ever seen. They've patched it since but I never heard if it actually worked. SH3 is worth the price of admission especially if the framerate is solid.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

The last-gen versions don't have all the bugs and changes, and are infinitely superior in everything but resolution... But I would rather play games that don't have SO MANY issues. Search YouTube, there are a bunch of awesome in-depth comparrisons. If the PS3 is your only way-to-play, then it's alright... But the PS2/Xbox copies are the sh!t, and you can get the entire series as offered on that collection for less money if you have a way to play last-gen copies.

Just my 2 cents. It's a great series and if you liked "Downpour" with all of it's troubles, then the HD collection will be a breath of fresh air in comparrison.

Either way - You have great taste in games, m'friend!

;)

EastMagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 EastMagi
Member since 2012 • 141 Posts
One thing you should be aware of is that Silent Hill HD collection is a port of PS1/2 (cant remember which) version. Therefore dont expect nice graphics like what you see in Downpour. Even though its been upgraded to HD, from what I've seen, the games still look like their non-HD counterparts. Not a signifcant improvement in the graphics dept. Storywise, it is pretty good. After all, SH 1&2 made the franchise popular and spawned quite a few copycats (Alan Wake). The Silent Hill movies are based on the SH 1,2 &3. Those two movies sort of got it right in terms of plot and characters in the story. So you should probably check those movies out. The 2nd one is probably still playing at your local theater.
osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

The last-gen versions don't have all the bugs and changes, and are infinitely superior in everything but resolution... But I would rather play games that don't have SO MANY issues. Search YouTube, there are a bunch of awesome in-depth comparrisons. If the PS3 is your only way-to-play, then it's alright... But the PS2/Xbox copies are the sh!t, and you can get the entire series as offered on that collection for less money if you have a way to play last-gen copies.

Just my 2 cents. It's a great series and if you liked "Downpour" with all of it's troubles, then the HD collection will be a breath of fresh air in comparrison.

Either way - You have great taste in games, m'friend!

;)

MonkeySpot

i would say the voice acting is better in the HD.

Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
They're great games with horribly unfinished ports. When released they had bad framerate and sound issues and a lot of the trademark fog was gone. It has since been patched to be playable, but the collection still isn't up to the quality of the original standard definition versions, nor would I suggest that the HD collection is the best way to experience the games. Also, the patch broke the 5.1 surround sound mix, which was a big seller for me. Also, Eye Teeth....
Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#15 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
As long as you don't get the 360 version, you're golden.
conmbo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 conmbo2

well I do not think I've ever played Silent Hill 3 so that will be a new experience... I have played 2 and beaten it... I liked it a lot but thought 1 was better :)

Okay so I should def get it on the ps3... xbox has a digital download but ps store does not.. so Ill have to go to gameshop

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#17 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts

360 version plays like sh!t compared to the PS3 version because the devs didn't release a patch for that version; they just gave up on it. So yes, get the PS3 version even if you have to go out of your way.

conmbo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 conmbo2

360 version plays like sh!t compared to the PS3 version because the devs didn't release a patch for that version; they just gave up on it. So yes, get the PS3 version even if you have to go out of your way.

Kravyn81

cool thanks! i will grab it on my way home today before the eagles game tonight

conmbo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 conmbo2
I picked it up, I am liking it so far!