Should I play God of War 1 & 2, etc. before playing God of War 3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NinthFall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

#1 NinthFall
Member since 2013 • 118 Posts
Hello. Okay so here's the deal. I'm returning some games tomorrow, because I really don't have enough time to "complete" all of my games before the PS4 arrives. So I'm basicly wondering wether I should just return my God of War collection and play the GoW 3 only (possibly Ascension as well, don't have that one yet though). Will I be missing a lot of the story? Will I be missing anything else?
pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#2 pillarrocks  Online
Member since 2005 • 3674 Posts
God of War 1/2 pretty much tell how Kratos became the God of War, if you want to pass those games and move on GOW 3 then it's alright. You could always watch those games on youtube to get cached up on the story.
Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

It's not entirely necessary, you could catch up on wiki.

IMO you should play GoW 1&2 prior to GoW3 so you see what a collosal piece of shit and step backwards for the series GoW3 is.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
nah, they arent really worth playing at this point. Just go on to 3
junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

You can play through one of the best exclusive franchises PS has to offer or you can listen to some of the bad advice above.

I would play all three because in order to truly appreciate and understand Kratos and his extreme rage(which is the core foundation of the series) you'll need to play them from the beginning.  This is one of the few games that stands the test of time and is just as fun now as it was then. 

Start part one.  If the opening scene and narrative doesn't suck you in you have no soul:P

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1562 Posts
you should differently play God of War 1 and 2 before playing 3 you would be missing the back story. i personally think God of War 2 is the best in the series and a lot of people would agree
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

IMO you should play GoW 1&2 prior to GoW3 so you see what a collosal piece of shit and step backwards for the series GoW3 is.

Boddicker
That isn't how you spell ascension. THAT was a piece of shit.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#8 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Having played 3 before 1 and 2 (technically CoO, but forget that for now), I would wholeheartedly recommend going for 1 and 2 first. I actually didn't enjoy 1 at first, but 3 got me into the series and made 1 enjoyable for me. Once you get past the first's boring start, you get a brilliantly designed game and then you get to see its evolution gameplay-wise from 1 to 2 to 3, because that's totally worth it.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

No, you'll just realize you're playing almost exactly the same game over again.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

Jackc8
lol but true. I played GOW3 first, then 1 and only half of 2 cuz I just felt like i was doing the samething over and over again.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Jackc8

I know I hate it when a franchise retains the gameplay style from title to title. Each title in a series should be dramatically different.

Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Tropictrain
Member since 2010 • 4863 Posts

If story and character development aren't important to you then skip to 3. Otherwise, play the first two. The first two set the stage for 3 really well and are crucial as far as I'm concerned. Plus they're all great games. 

Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
After playing the entire series, I believe 1 is the best and only essential game in the God of War saga. It has the best story of them all. By far. And since the gameplay is almost identical throughout the series, you'll have all the fun there is to be had in a God of War game. If anything, I'd suggest you play that one and skip all the others, because Kratos's story only degrades from there. The only thing God of War 3 really impressed me with is the look and scale of the game. The story was pretty dumb and the gameplay, while still being amazing, didn't really evolve a whole lot. Don't get me wrong; I'm a huge God of War fan and think every game is well worth playing, but if you're going to skip the best game in the series, you might as well skip the whole thing.
Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Boddicker

[QUOTE="Boddicker"]

darkspineslayer

That isn't how you spell ascension. THAT was a piece of shit.

After the shit sandwich that was GoW3 I never even bothered with Ascension.  I downloaded the demo and it was just more of the same crap.  At this point in the franchise I am completely unmoved by the "epicness."

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Boddicker

After playing the entire series, I believe 1 is the best and only essential game in the God of War saga. It has the best story of them all. By far. And since the gameplay is almost identical throughout the series, you'll have all the fun there is to be had in a God of War game. If anything, I'd suggest you play that one and skip all the others, because Kratos's story only degrades from there. The only thing God of War 3 really impressed me with is the look and scale of the game. The story was pretty dumb and the gameplay, while still being amazing, didn't really evolve a whole lot. Don't get me wrong; I'm a huge God of War fan and think every game is well worth playing, but if you're going to skip the best game in the series, you might as well skip the whole thing. MrSelf-Destruct

Couldn't have said it better myself.

GoW2 is worth a playthrough too though IMO.  The difficulty was lowered a step or two from GoW1, but the combat tweaks and wider variety of enemies really made up for it.  GoW3 fell down a whole flight of stairs on the difficulty scale.

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 locus-solus
After playing the entire series, I believe 1 is the best and only essential game in the God of War saga. It has the best story of them all. By far. And since the gameplay is almost identical throughout the series, you'll have all the fun there is to be had in a God of War game. If anything, I'd suggest you play that one and skip all the others, because Kratos's story only degrades from there. The only thing God of War 3 really impressed me with is the look and scale of the game. The story was pretty dumb and the gameplay, while still being amazing, didn't really evolve a whole lot. Don't get me wrong; I'm a huge God of War fan and think every game is well worth playing, but if you're going to skip the best game in the series, you might as well skip the whole thing. MrSelf-Destruct
i agree the story was the best in the first game n the story in God of War 3 wasn't dubbed down it right out sucked
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#17 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

I didn't. I just read the story on wikipedia before playing GOW3, didn't miss out on much.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11514 Posts

I'd say the first one is the only one with a decent story and from my experience, playing all 3 God of Wars in short succession is a bad idea. Theyare all extremely similar and you might get burnt out on the series by the time your part way through the second. So I'd just look up the plot of the first two and play the third

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

I would recommend you play both games before GOW 3 and Ascension simply because they great and fun games, especially GOW 2. :)

Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Tropictrain

I'm surprised by how many people felt the third game was a step backwards in terms of story. The third game gave me a much better appreciation for the series altogether in terms of plot and character development. Of course, not playing the first two games would have really taken away from that. I was a fan of the series before this game and I even bought the Ultimate Edition, but it wasn't until the third game that I actually liked it for the story. 

NinthFall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#21 NinthFall
Member since 2013 • 118 Posts
First of all, thanks for all the replies. I'm really glad I got this many opinions and it certainly did help me out a lot. Glad to see this active community on these boards. I've decided to continue playing GoW1&2 before going on for the 3rd one. Just one question, does Ascension continue the same story or is it just a spin-off of the saga or what? And what about the second GoW collection, which was remade to PS3 from the PSP games?
locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 locus-solus
Ascension is a prequel to God of War 1 haven't played it yet so i don't know why its receive on average reviews of around 8/10 im personally waiting for the price to drop. God of War Origin Collection contains a prequel to God of War 1 Chains of Olympus and a sequel to God of War 1 Ghost of Sparta. CoO is much uglier than the rest of the series still enjoyable if you like the genre and if you're a fan of the series. i don't remember the story very well sorry. Ghost of Sparta is by far the better game its on par with the PS2 God of War game. Origin Collection is enjoyable if you can get past it flaws. and its fine to play God of War spin off out of order chronological order i would recommend you play God of War 1,2 and 3 first and thin play the spin off at your leisure
T-Bone91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 T-Bone91
Member since 2013 • 283 Posts
Play them.It gives the overall story more of an emotional attachment.
Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Tropictrain

Chains of Olympus was nothing special in my opinion. God of War 3 actually has a passing reference to something that happens in that game but it's hardly required to enjoy the game. I actually never got passed the final boss because the copy I had was incredibly glitchy. I'm not sure if others had the same problem or if it was just my copy. I still haven't played Ghost of Sparta or Ascension. 

Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
The Origins collection is totally skippable, story wise, but they're both a lot of fun. I only played them recently and was surprised at how well they both hold up to the main series. If you finish all the main entries and are ever itching for more God of War, I'd definitely pick them up.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

'Ascension' is crap. I hate to say that, being a GoW fanboy, but it really is. The gameplay is dull, there's way overuse of the epic, sweeping camera shot, which kinda annoyed me. Storywise....wait, 'Ascension' had a story? I know the series isn't the most heavily story-driven series out there, but for 'Ascension' I couldn't figure out any reason why Kratos was motivated to advance forward other than basically being told "go there, do this" and Kratos shrugging his shoulders and going "ok", and I couldn't figure any reason why I, as the player, should care about moving forward when the gameplay wasn't compelling me to. Congratulations Todd Pappy, you're the guy who f*cked up God of War.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

No. Play an actually good action game like Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 & 2, Bayonetta, DMC Collection, Metal Gear Rising, or Anarchy Reigns.

The God of War series is a shallow button masher with awful controls and camera, and a giant Mary-Sue for a main character.

T-Bone91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 T-Bone91
Member since 2013 • 283 Posts

No. Play an actually good action game like Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 & 2, Bayonetta, DMC Collection, Metal Gear Rising, or Anarchy Reigns.

The God of War series is a shallow button masher with awful controls and camera, and a giant Mary-Sue for a main character.

Pffrbt
Keep SW crap in SW and you are a known Sony hater.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Sure play god of war 1,2 before you play God of War 3. Two and a half weeks you should be able to get these games completed. Basic hack and slash platforming. Then trade them in if you want.

The Playstation 4 is coming in November 2013. So you still have time. Plus You own the games and can take infinte time to finish. There is no law that you have to stop play your Ps3 when the PS4 arrives. It is not B/C anyways