Should I buy a PS3 without a harddrive?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RyuHayabusaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 RyuHayabusaX
Member since 2005 • 7838 Posts

What you guys tell me will determine whether I buy it or not. A friend of mine is selling his PS3 for $70; I don't know all the details, but he's telling me that you have to replace the harddrive. So it can still play Blu-Ray discs and whatnot, but you can't install anything on the harddrive or anything of that sort. Is it worth it? What type of harddrive can I buy to replace it (as in can I go on newegg.com and get something like this), or what type of modifications would I have to make to the harddrive?

hawk549

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 hawk549
Member since 2007 • 1220 Posts

negative. It requires a hdd to run it's OS. Sounds kinda shady anyway sorry to say...wouldnt do it. just my 02.

gamebreakerz__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gamebreakerz__
Member since 2010 • 5120 Posts
No
RyuHayabusaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RyuHayabusaX

So looking at this... just buy a laptop harddrive, put it in there, and it works right? One question I have is how I would backup the data from the old harddrive if it doesn't really work, as in how would I put the PS3 OS on the new harddrive.. So what would I do if the harddrive is completely inactive (meaning I can't transfer the OS right?)

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
The PS3 will not work without a hard drive, but it's also designed to format the HDD automatically for PS3 use when you put it in and start the system up.
RyuHayabusaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RyuHayabusaX
So essentially take out the old harddrive, put in the new harddrive, turn on the PS3, and it reforms automatically, no strings attached?
yentlequible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 yentlequible
Member since 2009 • 2620 Posts
Sounds like it should work. New hard drives a pretty cheap, especially if it has lower memory. The new hard drive would be formatted once you start it up with it in the ps3.
taplok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 taplok
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

you think your friend handles his stuff well... how old is the PS3... if you think it's good, just buy yourself a new HDD... 2.5 SATA notebook HDD w/ 5400rpm... just slip it in there, also download the latest firmware in a usb flash drivefrom sony before you proceed...

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

70 for the PS3, plus another 100 for a new HDD. So you end up saving around 100 bucks for a used console?

I'd say pass.

JuggaloRandall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JuggaloRandall
Member since 2010 • 8213 Posts
If its like a working 60 gig I would jump on that. If its a good friend then why would he wanna rip you off? But if he's like some shady guy that you don't really know then you could be risking your money a bit.
Oxymandias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 Oxymandias
Member since 2006 • 330 Posts

320gb drive (laptop 2.5 SATA) drive will set you have 40 (quid), as long as the old PS3 still has the old disc the proceedure for swapping the drive is in the PS3 manual.

If there is nothing else wrong with the box its a good deal..

Oink!