Sennheiser HD 598's and PS 4

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jetsfan122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jetsfan122
Member since 2011 • 122 Posts

Hey all. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 598's and a Fiio E 7 amp. I've been trying to use them with the PS 4 controller , but can't get them to work. Does anyone know if they are compatible ? I've done a google search with no results. Thanks.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts

They should be although you might need a different adaptor if the dualshock uses different poles. Have you also tried adjusting you audio settings?

The absolute best advice I have for you is to buy the Astro Mixamp. This will give you 7.1 Dolby Headphone as well as chat capabilities with a PC mic. It costs $130 but is well worth it. Keep in mind that the audio going to the dualshock is compressed bluetooth audio and will not get you the most out of your. 598's.

If you have no desire to use a chat feature and only want audio, the first gen Turtle Beach DSS can be had for around $20 on Amazon. While it doesn't sound as good as the mixamp, it still gets the job done pretty well at an extremely cheap price. Chat is possible with it although it requires you to jump through a few hoops to find the correct adapters.

Tubatica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Tubatica
Member since 2004 • 166 Posts

Murderstyle can you post your setup? I've seen you post on here a few times about audio stuff and am interested in what exactly you have. I'd like something wireless (although not critical) that will be compatible with PC, PS4, and PS3. I'd like to keep it under $200 if I can. Thanks!

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts

Well my setup is quite pricey however I can recommend a cheaper but very similar setup.

To keep it under $200, you would want to go with something like the Superlux 668b headphones which cost around $45 on Amazon but have the audio comparable to about a $200 pair of AKG's.

You would run these through the Astro Mixamp which costs $130 and gives you 7.1 Dolby Headphone, the ability to mix your audio/chat to your liking, four EQ presets and the ability to stream music while in games. There is also a live streaming feature.

For chat, you would use something like a Zalman ZM-Mic1 which costs $10 on Amazon. This setup is 100% wired though.

Another route you could take is the Wireless Astro A40 audio system which is no longer in production but is currently selling for $189.99 on Microsofts store. This comes with a wireless version of the Astro Mixamp. At this price, it can be a good starting point if you absoutely need wireless because it gives you the ability to upgrade later to headphones more like the Sennheiser HD 598's like the TC is using or something even better like the Sony MDR-MA900's.

The only catch is, to use the wireless mixamp on the PS4, you would also need something like that Turtle Beach chat cable they people are using to make older headsets work with the new console. The a Wired Mixamp Pro in my first recommendation doesn't need it though.