Saints Row 4: Was it a cheap move?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Defy_The_Fallen
Defy_The_Fallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 Defy_The_Fallen
Member since 2011 • 621 Posts

So recently it was announced that the upcoming $30 expansion for Saints Row 3, was being expanded into a full sequel due some time in 2013.

Full Article Here

Me and a friend of mine have had a discussion. I believe it was a good move for the studio to take, and lets them work on the creativity and expand the ideas of the expansion, giving it a full sequel in itself and making the game much more insane and OTT than it already is. My friend reckons it is a cheap move, simply so they can make a sequel at a cheaper price and also easier to make as they already have the general ideas.

That are your thoughts? I'd just like to settle this :)

soapman72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 soapman72
Member since 2010 • 2714 Posts
It sucks but hopefully Saints Row 4 will be better than 3.
_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 _Judas_
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts
Agreed. Both Saints Row 2 and 3 have been very good, but not great/fantastic.
cooldust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 cooldust
Member since 2006 • 3283 Posts
Saints Row 3 was garbage, hopefully they get a decent writer this time and bring back the 3 part stories! They are not making SR4 from this expansion, SR4 has been in development before 3 was even released! They are simply adding this into SR4 or the ideas atleast. I hope they bring everything that made SR1 + 2 great back!
AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

hard to tell , a new full game is imo better , a dlc would be released faster and satisfy you for a moment but at the same time would probably delay the full game , depends if you are patient or not

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Sounds like a cheap move to me. Taking an expansion pack for the old game and trying to make a "new" game out of it will most likely produce a larger expansion pack. Which is very different from a new game.

-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
aslong as the idea of the DLC is only a part of the next saints row, but if they try to turn that premise into the full game then f*ck off THQ
MercenaryMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MercenaryMafia
Member since 2011 • 2917 Posts
SR4 will be destroyed by GTA V.
undeadgoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 undeadgoon
Member since 2006 • 706 Posts

SR4 will be destroyed by GTA V.MercenaryMafia

lol ok

Hammerhead72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Hammerhead72
Member since 2011 • 224 Posts

I wholeheartedly agree.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#11 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
Well I guess I don't mind if this expansion is just becoming a full spin-off game. As long as it feels like a complete game that's fine.
FiFa_kirikiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 FiFa_kirikiki
Member since 2008 • 978 Posts
(Re-phrasing in a subtle way) Rockstar Games is releasing GTA V very soon, therefore they can't risk themselves for such a risky move.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

[QUOTE="MercenaryMafia"]SR4 will be destroyed by GTA V.Hammerhead72

I wholeheartedly agree.

About the only thing in common with the 2 is they are open world games set in present time.
AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts
[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"][QUOTE="Hammerhead72"]

I wholeheartedly agree.

About the only thing in common with the 2 is they are open world games set in present time.

saints row imo is the spiritual successor to the original GTA's , while GTA itself has abandoned its own roots
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
...so they took paid DLC content and will include with the next game. Seems better for consumers IMO (if they can be patient)
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
i cant wait for SR4 i like SR series
JBL81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JBL81
Member since 2012 • 101 Posts

This. After the hideous eyesore that was SR3, I'm never buying a SR game again. I'll stick with GTA.

Avatar image for thedarklinglord
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thedarklinglord
Member since 2003 • 1106 Posts
Impossible to say whether or not it's a "cheap move" until Saints Row 4 is release or, at the very least, we get more details about the game. If SR4 plays like little more than an expansion pack, meaning it's inexcusably short and completely lacking in scope, then it was definitely a shameless ploy to spend less time, money and effort on a proper sequel and a cheap move to charge loyal fans a full game price for a bloated DLC expansion. On the other hand, if the expansion is rolled into a proper sequel and natural evolution of the series, making it grander in scale and more epic in scope, with even more additional game modes and minigames, a game world easily twice the size of SR3, with a more expansive array of weapons, items, customization options and the like, offering players a game that's bursting at the seams with content, then I'd say they're doing consumers a favor, giving us way more bang for our buck and, by doing so, hopefully generating more goodwill toward the developers/publisher and the franchise as a whole, winning back fans who were disappointed with SR3 and possibly securing excitement enough to justify a Saints Row 5. It could easily go either way.
wwefanforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#19 wwefanforlife
Member since 2006 • 3248 Posts

Volition need to get back to the story and finally bring Dex back. It's just annoying the Saints were after Dex in SR2 but it didn't continue in SR3 it was like he was forgotten about then why bring him back in the SR2 Corporate Warfare DLC pack.

LeifLongbottom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 LeifLongbottom
Member since 2009 • 2777 Posts

...so they took paid DLC content and will include with the next game. Seems better for consumers IMO (if they can be patient)rawsavon
Better for those consumers who didn't buy the Season Pass. I would be feeling a little gyped if I had.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MethodManFTW

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]...so they took paid DLC content and will include with the next game. Seems better for consumers IMO (if they can be patient)LeifLongbottom

Better for those consumers who didn't buy the Season Pass. I would be feeling a little gyped if I had.

This was going to have zero to do with season pass as it was planned to be a disc based expansion.
LeifLongbottom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LeifLongbottom

[QUOTE="LeifLongbottom"]

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]...so they took paid DLC content and will include with the next game. Seems better for consumers IMO (if they can be patient)MethodManFTW

This was going to have zero to do with season pass as it was planned to be a disc based expansion.

Regardless, I still think I would've felt gyped.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#23 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I'm always in favor of taking any expansion pack and expanding it into a full sequel, because... well... you SHOULD be working on making a better game, not just more of a game you already played...
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MethodManFTW

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"][QUOTE="LeifLongbottom"] Better for those consumers who didn't buy the Season Pass. I would be feeling a little gyped if I had.

LeifLongbottom

Well than you would be an uninformed consumer because it has been laid out forever what the season pass includes. http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/718271/saints-row-the-third-season-pass-offers-four-dlc-packs-for-one-low-price/
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#25 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I'm always in favor of taking any expansion pack and expanding it into a full sequel, because... well... you SHOULD be working on making a better game, not just more of a game you already played... JustPlainLucas
Game was only priced at $30, though, so I can forgive it for being narrower in scope. I'm hoping Future Shop keeps the same SKU for this new release as I already have a full discounted preorder for the expansion for $10.
EOSIRC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 EOSIRC
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I would say Saints Row games have lost there touch, very much enjoyed Saints Row 1 and 2. Not sure what happened on the third one though. Completely ditched the old saints row feel, and sucked because of how the gang becomes famous and such..
LeifLongbottom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LeifLongbottom

[QUOTE="LeifLongbottom"]

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"] This was going to have zero to do with season pass as it was planned to be a disc based expansion.MethodManFTW

Well than you would be an uninformed consumer because it has been laid out forever what the season pass includes. http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/718271/saints-row-the-third-season-pass-offers-four-dlc-packs-for-one-low-price/

I mean I would've felt gyped by the dlc that did come with the SP.