This topic is locked from further discussion.

Leakybubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

User Lists: 0

#1 Leakybubbles
Member since 2006 • 193 Posts

Hi. I have a ps3 and I am in an RPG phase right now.. Anyway I have played all the major RPGS (elder scrolls/dark souls/mass effect) etc. and I wanted to play some old style RPGs like final fantasy and I was wondering about Shin Megami Tensei and Persona and if they are any good? But mostly, how do you just jump right into it with so many releases? Can I start from Persona 2 and understand what is going on? Anyway, I just want some help on what I should get. Thanks.

DaRq_MiNoS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 DaRq_MiNoS
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts

Hi. I have a ps3 and I am in an RPG phase right now.. Anyway I have played all the major RPGS (elder scrolls/dark souls/mass effect) etc. and I wanted to play some old style RPGs like final fantasy and I was wondering about Shin Megami Tensei and Persona and if they are any good? But mostly, how do you just jump right into it with so many releases? Can I start from Persona 2 and understand what is going on? Anyway, I just want some help on what I should get. Thanks.

Leakybubbles

Did you play Ni no Kuni? If you're looking for JRPGs, that's the best one this gen, IMO.

PS4TrumpsXbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 PS4TrumpsXbox1
Member since 2013 • 1371 Posts

[QUOTE="Leakybubbles"]

DaRq_MiNoS

Did you play Ni no Kuni? If you're looking for JRPGs, that's the best one this gen, IMO.

I agree, and there are lot of good ps1 rpgs you can buy from psn like FF 7, 8, 9, breath of fire, legend of dragoon. legend of mana etc
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#4 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Try these: Ni No Kuni, Tales of Graces f, Valkyria Chronicles and the two Final Fantasy XIII games.
DaRq_MiNoS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 DaRq_MiNoS
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts

Try these: Ni No Kuni, Tales of Graces f, Valkyria Chronicles and the two Final Fantasy XIII games. bbkkristian

DaRq_MiNoS says Ni no Kuni - awesome, Valkyria Chronicles - very good, Tales of Graces f - meh, two Final Fantasy XIII games - boo hiss!

PS4TrumpsXbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 PS4TrumpsXbox1
Member since 2013 • 1371 Posts

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]Try these: Ni No Kuni, Tales of Graces f, Valkyria Chronicles and the two Final Fantasy XIII games. DaRq_MiNoS

DaRq_MiNoS says Ni no Kuni - awesome, Valkyria Chronicles - very good, Tales of Graces f - meh, two Final Fantasy XIII games - boo hiss!

I guess you wont be playing Lightning Returns (looks awesome)
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

Yep, good old Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX and current one definetly Ni No Kuni! There's NO WAY around the last one if you want an awesome old school RPG experience in modern days. Also, Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King from the PS2 Era.

Leakybubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

#8 Leakybubbles
Member since 2006 • 193 Posts

Thank you all!

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

You don't need to play all the Persona games to get the full story. They're seperate experiences like the Final Fantasy series. Persona 3 FES is on PSN for a whopping 10 bucks. The HD remaster of FFX is releasing this year. It's got some controversial opinions here and there but it's widely regarded as one of the best of the series.

Tales of Graces F is a solid pickup if you enjoy action RPGs. It's fast, chaotic and can be challenging as hell. Story and characters are a bit subpar though.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Justforvisit

You don't need to play all the Persona games to get the full story. They're seperate experiences like the Final Fantasy series. Persona 3 FES is on PSN for a whopping 10 bucks. The HD remaster of FFX is releasing this year. It's got some controversial opinions here and there but it's widely regarded as one of the best of the series.

Tales of Graces F is a solid pickup if you enjoy action RPGs. It's fast, chaotic and can be challenging as hell. Story and characters are a bit subpar though.

whiskeystrike

Well, it's still one of the best FF's and the last one that stayed true to the FF Core MOST of the time, but it was the beginning of the massive Changes in the FF Universe, for example, FF Xthrew out an Open, Explorable World Map or an Airship / Vehicles you could fly / control all by yourself for world map exploration as a reward in the later game and that has hurt very much already back then, but at least story, characters and the world's own universe still where very unique and still had a FF Vibe going with them.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

I would suggest Resonance of Fate.  Especially since no-one else has mentioned it.

Its a Steampunk/Gearpunk setting. Music is nice, so far.

Weapons are firearms, and grenades. The combat is cool, but takes a little while to get down compared to most turn-based'ish' games.

The gameplay is very Final Fantasy like except for the changes in some of its combat mechanics.

I was able to get a used (but might as well be new, considering its condition) copy for my PS3 for like $13 including shipping from Amazon.

It arrived just yesterday, but I am enjoying it so far.  

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#12 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]Try these: Ni No Kuni, Tales of Graces f, Valkyria Chronicles and the two Final Fantasy XIII games. DaRq_MiNoS

It was more play in that order kind of ordeal. I didn't like Ni No Kuni as much as people hyped it up to be tbh. I'm still playing Valkyria Chronicles. Tales of Graces f is one of my favorites this gen. And Final Fantasy.... At least Lightning Returns looks good.
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#13 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

ps1 classics are better "rpgs" than the rpgs of this gen. Id suggest waiting until Tales of Xillia.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
ni no kuni dark souls demon souls tales of graces f valkyria chronicles final 13&13-2 soon tales of xilia
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Justforvisit

ni no kuni dark souls demon souls tales of graces f valkyria chronicles final 13&13-2 soon tales of xilia CTR360

He asked for "classical" RPG experiences ;)