This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for saruman354
#1 Posted by saruman354 (10776 posts) -

My router is a Belkin of some sort. I'm not sure of the exact model, and I'm not at home right now so I can't check, but I got it for like $35 at Walmart mostly because I don't use wifi that much since my PC is plugged in with ethernet.

Anyway, I recently got a Chromecast and after setting it up I noticed that it just won't connect with any of my devices. Chromecast itself stops saying it's connected and my iPhone won't find it. I also tried on my Nexus 7, but nothing. I browsed google for some solutions and it seemed that this is a fairly common issue. I just decided that Chromecast was a terrible product and moved on.

Last night, though, I wanted to connect my phone to my PS4, and despite the fact that my PS4 was connected to the internet, my phone wouldn't find it. I didn't try it on my tablet, but my concern now is that maybe my router just isn't good enough to handle this sort of thing. Thoughts?

Avatar image for jasean79
#2 Posted by jasean79 (2593 posts) -

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but your router should have nothing to do with your phone trying to connect to your PS4 if your PS4 is connected to the internet. Technically, once you initialize your phone to your PS4 (mind you, you do have to be in range for this initial set up), you can connect any time after that. Sounds to me like it might be either your phone or your PS4 that's not communicating with each other. That shouldn't have anything to do with your router or ISP service.

You are using the PS app on your phone correct? You're not just trying to find your PS4 via your wireless settings on your phone/tablet? Because if that is the case then you won't find it. You need to be logged into the app and after setting up your initial code to connect the two, you'd be set.

Avatar image for saruman354
#3 Edited by saruman354 (10776 posts) -

@jasean79: I'm talking for second screen stuff, not connecting to my PSN account or anything. Yeah, I'm using the PS app, and according to that the system and phone have to be on the same network. The only reason I ask is because the same thing happens with the Chromecast I just bought. According to various forums I've seen, certain routers can have problems with it based on whether they're 2.4ghz or 5ghz.

Avatar image for jasean79
#4 Posted by jasean79 (2593 posts) -

@saruman354:

Oh I wouldn't know about that. Too technical for me. :)

Avatar image for GTR12
#5 Posted by GTR12 (13233 posts) -

@saruman354: In your first line you say its a cheap router and that you don't use wifi...

Does it even have wifi to begin with?

No-one can help you without a make/model of your router.

Avatar image for saruman354
#6 Edited by saruman354 (10776 posts) -

@GTR12: Yes, it is a wireless router. I use ethernet for PC, but PS3/PS4 and 3DS are all connected with wifi.

Avatar image for jasean79
#7 Edited by jasean79 (2593 posts) -

@saruman354 said:

@GTR12: Yes, it is a wireless router. I use ethernet for PC, but PS3/PS4 and 3DS are all connected with wifi.

This made me think of something else. Does your router support G/B/N formats? perhaps your devices only support N format and the router doesn't.

Avatar image for GTR12
#8 Posted by GTR12 (13233 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@saruman354 said:

@GTR12: Yes, it is a wireless router. I use ethernet for PC, but PS3/PS4 and 3DS are all connected with wifi.

This made me think of something else. Does your router support G/B/N formats? perhaps your devices only support N format and the router doesn't.

No device only supports N only, still waiting on make/model.

Avatar image for jasean79
#9 Posted by jasean79 (2593 posts) -

@GTR12 said:

@jasean79 said:

@saruman354 said:

@GTR12: Yes, it is a wireless router. I use ethernet for PC, but PS3/PS4 and 3DS are all connected with wifi.

This made me think of something else. Does your router support G/B/N formats? perhaps your devices only support N format and the router doesn't.

No device only supports N only, still waiting on make/model.

Dammit! That's my lame attempt at trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about.