Resistance 3 for $19.50 or the trilogy for $38?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 homegirl2180
Member since 2004 • 7161 Posts

I've played both the FoM demo and the R3 demo, and I enjoyed both, though I liked the R3 one more, though I wasn't overly enamored with either. The popular consensus seems to be that R3 was the best, and it certainly seems like the one I'd enjoy most, though I'm not a big of the FPS genre in general. So even though it'd only be roughly $18 extra, a lot of me feels very hesitant in buying an FPS trilogy, especially when I already have an immense backlog of games. The downside is I could really love R3 and then I could want the first two games and it would end up costing me more, especially since I feel less sure this trilogy will follow suit with other PS3 compilations (R&C, Sly, etc.) and eventually go down in price.

So, essentially, would I be missing much by skipping the first two games? Are the stories anything worth caring about? Are they thrilling? Are they not only worth my money, but also, more importantly and scarely, are they worth my time? Thank you.

Mochyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Mochyc
Member since 2007 • 4421 Posts
To me, the story wasn't too interesting. In fact, you have to remember that Fall of Man came out in 2006 (7 years ago) and it was an ok/good game at the time. So I would assume it would not be terribly exciting to play it today. Since you have a huge backlog of games, I would just get Resistance 3 now. By the time you finish it and the rest of your games, the other two will probably be even cheaper. Hell, I would just finish your backlog of games, then get the trilogy cheaper.
BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

Get them all but you could easily get a better deal if you just buy them seperate. I spent like $5 on resistance 1 ($2.99 at gamestop), $7 on resistance 2 ($6.99 at gamestop now) and like $10 on resistance 3. Check out ebay. I think the series is very underrated and I would rank the games as 1<2<3... It gets better as you go on. Good storyline and part 3 has some sweet boss battles.

punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 punisher1
Member since 2004 • 3290 Posts

Honestly I never understood the appeal of Resistance. None of the games ends well.

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

resistance 2 coop > everything else - id get the trilogy

happy_dude64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 happy_dude64
Member since 2007 • 994 Posts

I'd get the whole trilogy but as someone has already said, you can easily grab these three games seperate for way cheaper. Resistance 1 was literally the first PS3 game so of course it's aged but its still a great game (just remember to reaarange your buttons). R2 is the weakest in the series but the coolest in bosses/things that occur. R3 is my personal favorite...hell I got that shiny platinum for it.

Definitely check them out. Knowing what happened in R1-R2 will be more impactful for R3. If you even need a coop buddy for R3 I'd be more than happy to fly through that epic game.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

I would get all the games, but not as part of the trilogy pack.  You could easliy get them on Amazon or somewhere else for cheaper.  The Resistance 1 demo does not do tha game justice.  The default controls for the game are pretty bad by today's standards, but you can customize the buttons any way you want.  The stories in the first two games are not amazing.  The female narrator in the first game does a good job in explaining who the chimera are, but other than that, there is nothing extraordinary about it.  Resistance 2's storyline is ok, but sometimes it is easy to forget what is going on.  Resistance 3's story is the best one by far, but the ending is a bit weak.  Each game is different enough to warrant a playthrough.  Resistance 1 is very clostrophobic a lot of the time.  There just is not enough space to move around in some areas.  Resistance two goes for bigger chaotice battles, but the boss fights are weak, and some of the non-shooting sections are kind of "meh."  The co-op missions are rather fun, even if it is just a hoard mode for the most part.  Resistance 3 blends the elements from the first two games and adds a story worth caring about.  

You could probably get each game for $10 brand new.  Resistance 3 comes with an online pass, but I doubt there is that much of a difference in price between a used and new copy at this point. 

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
well............. although I liked R2, I would say just get R3 cuz its really good and R2 is really out dated (the mechanics didnt age well)
Mrmedia01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mrmedia01
Member since 2007 • 1917 Posts

Resistance 3 is is the only one I really liked a lot. I would say just find it cheap on Ebay and but it. Bought my copy of Resistance for $13 a couple of months ago.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#10 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Google the first game's story and buy the rest. I have 2 and 3 but haven't started them. I made it quite a way into the first game before I realize I was just playing it for its story since the gunplay didn't really do it for me anymore.
ItsEvolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ItsEvolution
Member since 2008 • 2593 Posts
Definitely buy separately. I personally enjoyed 1 and 3 the most, but as others have said, you have to tinker with the controls quite a bit with R1 to make it usable.
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

that would be paying for too much unless you don't like buying used. even then you can probably find r3 for cheap

RoOodriGowW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RoOodriGowW
Member since 2008 • 3309 Posts

Oh the perks of living in America , even being old games , i think the best deal you can find here is R:FoM for the aforementioned 38$ , anyways , if you are willing to dig in Resistance's universe , i'd say , go for the trilogy , otherwise just go for R3 and here's why:

FoM : Was pretty good at its time , I last played it one year ago i think , looked terrible and wasn't fun alone , but it's still good if you have a friend to run through the campaign cooperatively.

R2 : Even though it adds to the story , if you want that , the campaign this time can only be played solo and it's pretty boring ; the co op mode is composed by four different missions where you and your team mates take the roles of medic , soldier and spec ops and its separated from the story , that's what makes R2 stand out it was PURE fun at the time , now it's a ghost town.

R3 : Best of both worlds , campaign can be played cooperatively , it's the best one among the three , art style is magnific IMO , story is really good and you don't really need to have played the first two to get it , multiplayer offers some nice modes even having its own "horde mode".

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Get Resistance 3 imo.