This topic is locked from further discussion.

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

http://www.nmeinc.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=45&Itemid=62

this could cause trouble for sony as a whole, and possibly give m$ another chance to come back with in the HD world. If sony is smart they will by the patent and lock it away.

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts
lol. wut?
lgottagoPP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lgottagoPP
Member since 2008 • 182 Posts
Lmao red ray disc. Watch Wii is gonna get green ray disc.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 avataraang1
Member since 2006 • 5436 Posts

this could cause trouble for sony as a whole, and possibly give m$ another chance to come back with in the HD world. If sony is smart they will by the patent and lock it away.

lowkey254
Why would all the movie companies move from blu-ray now?
samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 samuraiguns
rainbow ray disc. for wii.
samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 samuraiguns

Wait, this is no joke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versatile_Multilayer_Disc

rctyke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 rctyke
Member since 2005 • 1122 Posts
I doubt they can market those VMD players, they do not have the Studio support to substain for more than a niche market, DVD size disc is not ideal for High definition movies with both High definition video AND high resolution audio such as TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio. Also players are now around the $200 dollar range with one from best buy offering $100 of Buena Vista (Disney) based films, and you can find $20 or lower Blu ray disc on amazon and select stores that offer discounts.
samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 samuraiguns

I doubt they can market those VMD players, they do not have the Studio support to substain for more than a niche market, DVD size disc is not ideal for High definition movies with both High definition video AND high resolution audio such as TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio. Also players are now around the $200 dollar range with one from best buy offering $100 of Buena Vista (Disney) based films, and you can find $20 or lower Blu ray disc on amazon and select stores that offer discounts.rctyke

Read the link i just put up^

This could be an HD contender, if it gets the right marketing.

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts
[QUOTE="avataraang1"][QUOTE="lowkey254"]

Why would all the movie companies move from blu-ray now?

because it's cheap. If my standard DVD can play like an HD dvd without spending an arm and a leg then what am I going to buy? Consumer marketing would obviously show the cheap one would sell better. Sony would lose out in both the video game industry and in the movie industry.
LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
i was gonna buy the Dark Knight 2mrw on blu-ray, but i guess i'll just wait for the dark knight to come out on red-ray then.. j/k
PhireStorm007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 PhireStorm007
Member since 2005 • 93 Posts

its just a dvd with extra layers on it. "red ray" is nothing new at all. all dvd players except Bluray use Red rays. The fact that bluray discs hold more is becuase the blue wavelength has a higher frequency, and therefore can read on a smaller location, as mentioned in the editorial. Bluray has been around for a while, they just had trouble making is backwards compatible. All I see this is a self-proclaimed technology. What I don't see is a reason why this isn't in mass production yet- Therefore there is a downside to this, but they aren't mentioning this. makes me suspicious to say the least, that and refering to a blue laser as 'inferior' to a red laser. not as reliable? maybe, sure (haven't heard any problems), but inferior? please

Edit: also, Bluray holds more per layers, and more layers can be added to a bluray disc as well, not to mention it has a higher bit-rate. I would put my eggs in their basket. Also, you would need a special player to read the VMD- its just saying you won't need to shell out the extra cash for a blue-ray player. quote "VMD Drives will be able to read other standard formats including CD and DVD." bluray are backwards compatible also.

W1ckedGo0se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 W1ckedGo0se
Member since 2008 • 1246 Posts

There is plans for a 1 Tera Byte by 2012... And a 400GB one has been made and my be in circulation by 2010... Don't have the link right now, but Red Wavelengths can not get to the same precision as Blue light Waves...

Sorry I was talking about Blu-Ray... forgot to say that....

idk761

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 idk761
Member since 2008 • 3229 Posts
Red Ray disk, funny. It think sonny will stick with Blue-Ray
Dankodefense

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 Dankodefense
Member since 2003 • 224 Posts

There is plans for a 1 Tera Byte by 2012... And a 400GB one has been made and my be in circulation by 2010... Don't have the link right now, but Red Wavelengths can not get to the same precision as Blue light Waves...

Sorry I was talking about Blu-Ray... forgot to say that....

W1ckedGo0se

I also don't have a link for the 400 GB blu-ray disk but I heard about it on Attack of the Show a couple days ago. Gotta think that Blu-ray has this market wrapped up for at least the next couple years.

shroom76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 shroom76
Member since 2007 • 1764 Posts

it doesnt even say that its hd.

and they already have 8 layered blu rays. 200 gigs.

fail

Androvinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 Androvinus
Member since 2008 • 5796 Posts
Blu-ray is PERFECT. why would anyone care to jump on the bandwagon of something so pointless
Catalyst_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Catalyst_01
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
It would be idiotic for companies to change any time soon because tvs can only go up to 1080p right now and HD movies only need 5 to 10 GB for content so why change the whole system for useless space. Plus they would have 20 layer discs?! yeah maybe in like 7-8 years from now but blue ray is just the right size for game developers and movie studios. until they make true virtual reality we wont need much bigger discs for many years.
Avatar image for deactivated-60a18c108ffa9
deactivated-60a18c108ffa9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 deactivated-60a18c108ffa9
Member since 2008 • 7541 Posts
This just sounds like a copycat format. Totally pointless when blu ray has already become THE HD format of choice. This is just some new business trying to jump on the bandwagon with zero support. Certainly epic failure in the making.
ENDOT12123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ENDOT12123
Member since 2007 • 1223 Posts
blu ray has already won its the HD format no one is gonna beat it now with every single movie studio backing it, they not gonna move now thers no point, to many blurays in production,
Avatar image for Ultrabeatdown55
Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ultrabeatdown55
Member since 2008 • 15314 Posts
[QUOTE="LP4EVA2005"]i was gonna buy the Dark Knight 2mrw on blu-ray, but i guess i'll just wait for the dark knight to come out on red-ray then.. j/k

GETTING IT IN 7 MINUTES!
kiraburu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kiraburu
Member since 2008 • 537 Posts
Gentlemen, that project its over. The only thing that could make it succesfull was a so low price, but its over. That article on wikipedia and the other was for publicity purpose, old news...and the bluray has the better specs to be dare by that format...by the time bluray will get cheaper and multilayer will be standard. Youll see.
Recca168

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Recca168
Member since 2004 • 225 Posts

[QUOTE="rctyke"]I doubt they can market those VMD players, they do not have the Studio support to substain for more than a niche market, DVD size disc is not ideal for High definition movies with both High definition video AND high resolution audio such as TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio. Also players are now around the $200 dollar range with one from best buy offering $100 of Buena Vista (Disney) based films, and you can find $20 or lower Blu ray disc on amazon and select stores that offer discounts.samuraiguns

Read the link i just put up^

This could be an HD contender, if it gets the right marketing.

How do you figure? The link that you put up basically said NME the company developing this technology is going under...

motherboop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 motherboop
Member since 2007 • 2382 Posts
umm, this was scrapped already, b4 it got started....months ago. there's no legitimate contender to BD.
JKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JKusanagi
Member since 2005 • 815 Posts

Blu Ray has more space, that's an advantage for gaming. MGS4 would need 2 of those VMD