Red Faction Demo......meh?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 Nephilim83
Member since 2008 • 4378 Posts

I just downloaded and played the Red Faction Guerilla demo. WTF? I've never seen anything so half-***ed as far as graphics go. It looks like a PS2 game. The gameplay is a little awkward, and there is an obvious lack of balance in power. You still got your big hammer. I just ran up to guys from long distances with them shooting me the whole time and I knocked their blocks off in one swoop. AI seems a bit clumsy, too.

The demo mission is a timed mission. You got like ten minutes to get across the map to a certain goal, but you have to fight through the enemy soldiers on the way there. You can steal various vehicles to do this. Yes, hijack vehicles. Yes, just like all the other games that su-- were less than good. You can kill civillians, but they don't "trust" you anymore. The graphics and physics are just too lame for this generation. The shooting is okay for the third-person perspective, but it could definately be better. I don't know, some of you may enjoy it.

To me, however, its like Mercinaries 2 but worse. Worse graphics, worse physics. But it plays the same. You can run around freely, fight off all the enemies at their little checkpoints and what not, take their vehicles, bust up your environment with your hammer, blah blah blah...

So what do you guys think? Is there any hope for it?

smithster118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 smithster118
Member since 2008 • 3910 Posts

I didn't like it that much either. I hated the respawning enemies.

Avatar image for JonnyEarthquake
JonnyEarthquake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#3 JonnyEarthquake
Member since 2007 • 770 Posts

Physics are great but I`m not getting this game for several reasons:

No terrain destrucion
Mediocre graphics
Brain-dead AI and respawning enemies
Lame gunplay
Barely visible health bar
So many cheap deaths
Limited free-roaming
Story and the game design seems to be rather generic

patriots7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 patriots7672
Member since 2008 • 3249 Posts

I hate that they made it open world with no real point or direction.

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
It has great destructibility but the reason why I think it will be inferior is the story, graphics, and the guns are simply not that fun to shoot. (IE they don't feel powerful or enjoyable to shoot.) I look forward to BC2 this winter much more than this.
MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#6 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

I don't know why they went from 1st person to 3rd, I played and loved the first 2 games of the series. The demo didn't even feel connected to the Red Faction universe.

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts
i liked trashing those buildings and stuff... didn't like the over the shoulder view not getting the game though
Avatar image for QuebecSuperstar
QuebecSuperstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 QuebecSuperstar
Member since 2006 • 4178 Posts

Personally, I've had a blast every 10+ times I've played the demo. Can't wait to get my pre-ordered copy.

bpw8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bpw8
Member since 2002 • 558 Posts
i enjoyed smashing stuff up and dying.. but i can't see myself buying the game just for that.
HuhJustaBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HuhJustaBox
Member since 2006 • 1585 Posts

I just downloaded and played the Red Faction Guerilla demo. WTF? I've never seen anything so half-***ed as far as graphics go. It looks like a PS2 game. The gameplay is a little awkward, and there is an obvious lack of balance in power. You still got your big hammer. I just ran up to guys from long distances with them shooting me the whole time and I knocked their blocks off in one swoop. AI seems a bit clumsy, too.

The demo mission is a timed mission. You got like ten minutes to get across the map to a certain goal, but you have to fight through the enemy soldiers on the way there. You can steal various vehicles to do this. Yes, hijack vehicles. Yes, just like all the other games that su-- were less than good. You can kill civillians, but they don't "trust" you anymore. The graphics and physics are just too lame for this generation. The shooting is okay for the third-person perspective, but it could definately be better. I don't know, some of you may enjoy it.

To me, however, its like Mercinaries 2 but worse. Worse graphics, worse physics. But it plays the same. You can run around freely, fight off all the enemies at their little checkpoints and what not, take their vehicles, bust up your environment with your hammer, blah blah blah...

So what do you guys think? Is there any hope for it?

Nephilim83

I think you are being a little harsh. Nothing is worse than Mercs 2. That game was just plain broken. The graphics are not that bad. In fact I think they are decent for a multiplat game. Sure it is no Resident Evil or Killzone, but not everything can look that good.

Here is what I liked:

1. The destructability was fantastic.

2. Running from enemy and smashing through buildings with the hammer was great fun.

3. The mine bomb that you throw is great for setting up traps.

4. The ability to steal vehicles.

Here is what I am concerned about:

1. Enemies respawning is just plain stupid.

2. The guns feel very very weak.

3. THIS IS THE BIGGEST ONE--sandbox gameplay. I like being funneled down a path of purpose, not just go anywhere and do anything with no real sense of purpose. Due to this, I am very worried that the game will get stale very quickly, like Far Cry 2 or Assassins Creed.

All in all, I am not sure if I will get this game, it all depends on what the consensus is on the reviews. If everyone says it gets stale due to the sandbox nature, then I will not buy it. I really do hope it scores well, because I want to like this game and it does have some promise.

Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nephilim83
Lots of things can be worse than mercs 2. You ever played Kane and Lynch? LOL
natemic18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 natemic18
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Well I played the demo and I gotta say I really like how you can just beat the hell out of buildings with a hammer, and make them fall and stuff, ha but other than that there isn't much to it. The graphics aren't very great like most of you said, the AI isn't very well done at all, and yea there are many ways you can die that can get pretty stupid. I think it would be entertaining to play for a while myself, but I don't know if I would go out and buy it, I'll probably just end up renting it sometime.

shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
the game was great for me, destruction was amazing, some good textures, enjoyable gunplay, however crappy cover system and alittle generic
XturnalS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 XturnalS
Member since 2004 • 5020 Posts

It was aight in my book, it wasnt GOTY or even AA material but I think it'll score 6-7. It has to better then Mercs2. Man that game had issues.

Steel_Rain777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15 Steel_Rain777
Member since 2007 • 1776 Posts

Yeah I thought the game looked really mediocre at best. The graphics look like Freedom Fighters for PS2 with an extra coat of paint

M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#16 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

I liked the way that the destructable environments fell apart. But how far will the fun go?

The open-world design looks a bit boring to be honest. Just orange landscapes with the odd town or city in between. There is not much detail to make your jaw drop like Fallout 3.

Avatar image for UnknownElement4
UnknownElement4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 UnknownElement4
Member since 2008 • 2603 Posts

I found the demo to be quite good. I also like how you can destroy pretty much everything. I'll wait to see the final product before deciding to buy though.

Tikicobra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#18 Tikicobra
Member since 2009 • 2058 Posts
I liked it a lot. The graphics were kind of cruddy, but the destruction was great fun.
chaos1160

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 chaos1160
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
looking at all the comments and other forums i looks like its going to be a love it or hate it game depending on if you are willing to look past some of the demo's fails and its only a demo the full game maybe miles better. for me im going to rent it when it comes out and go from there and if it sucks then at least prototype come out the week after =)
urdead18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 urdead18
Member since 2008 • 3630 Posts

I loved it. Destruction was just so fun.

rodney130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rodney130
Member since 2004 • 1139 Posts

I thought the destructible enviroments were awesome. I haven't even finished the demo yet just because all I want to do is stand around and destroy the buildings haha.

Eliminator666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Eliminator666
Member since 2008 • 737 Posts
Now that was an awful demo...I won't buy that game
Jakesta7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#23 Jakesta7
Member since 2007 • 2472 Posts

I thought it was pretty Awesome!

AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AlexSays
Member since 2008 • 6612 Posts
I thought it was pretty Awesome!Jakesta7
Same here. I was actually surprised when I came on here and saw how many people didn't like it.
yungswift44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 yungswift44
Member since 2003 • 1614 Posts

you guys and your graphic compaints, not every game can look like killzone 2 ya know, and i loved the demo, didnt mind repawning enemies, guns did feel weak but o well, i enjoyed the destruction and i love open world gameplay, if you guys dont, just go through the story missions, easy, i dont see how freedom is a bad hing in a game, i would like to see this as a fps, but the 3rd person view is fine by me, never got in the way of FUN...i mean thats why we play games right

helghast4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 helghast4
Member since 2009 • 32 Posts
I don't see why everybody hates this game. I've played the demo 20+ times and I still haven't gotten bored of the destruction. And whats wrong with being able to free-roam. Fallout 3 was free roaming and look at how well that did!
Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#27 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

Years ago I had an opportunity to jump on the Red Faction bandwagon but, just never made the leap. Fast forward to now I see the demo available and automatically thought "meh" there are just too many other great games (inFamous, UFC Undisputed 2009, BlazBlu:Calamity Trigger, Cross Edge just to name a few) for you Red Faction fans I hope this game kicks major butt for you/as for me I'm going to pass.:p

Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Nephilim83

you guys and your graphic compaints, not every game can look like killzone 2 ya know, and i loved the demo, didnt mind repawning enemies, guns did feel weak but o well, i enjoyed the destruction and i love open world gameplay, if you guys dont, just go through the story missions, easy, i dont see how freedom is a bad hing in a game, i would like to see this as a fps, but the 3rd person view is fine by me, never got in the way of FUN...i mean thats why we play games right

yungswift44
I agree with you some what. I still feel, however, that when games are costing us 60 dollars a pop they should make stuff worth 60 dollars. This game, though it may be fun, has only got about 20 dollars worth of effort put into it if you ask me. I think they believed they were shooting fish in a barrel with all the Red Faction fans and otherwise didn't give a darn. All I know is at 60 bucks this game is totally passable. Put this on the shelf next to KZ2, Infamous, GoW3 and the choice should be simple. My point is that this day in age developers should start trying a little harder instead of trying to sneak an easy 60 bucks.................................................................... I did end up giving the demo another shot...... Yeah, its still pretty "meh." But I hope all you people who say its good really enjoy the full release. PEACE.
Sgt_Hale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Sgt_Hale
Member since 2007 • 2257 Posts
I enjoyed the demo actually... I still haven't made up my mind if I'll purchase it though. I'm going to wait for reviews on both this and Prototype. Whichever gets the best reviews will get the purchase from me.
Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Nephilim83
Just wanna say, after seeing that so many of you enjoyed it as much as you did I figured I was missing something and decided to replay it. Now, I think I jumped the gun about a few things: The graphics aren't quite as bad as described; just a little bland, and the physics are actually pretty good. I didn't really take the time to destroy much with the hammer, but when I realized I could take out an entire building with nothing but a hammer the fun started happenning. So, yeah, I enjoyed that. However, the shooting mechanic is still laughable, the AI are morons, and its still pretty cheap that you can run up to any of them and kill them with a hammer. I'm not going to buy a game based simply on the fact that tearing down buildings is fun. Killing hundreds of innocent people is funner and I already own GTA4.
theMarshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 theMarshell
Member since 2008 • 602 Posts
Good i thought I was the only one who hated the demo.
mithrixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32 mithrixx
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts
The destruction engine is very nice. I spent hours playing the demo, but yet I think i'll be waiting for the reviews before I decide to buy it. Story and game length will be the deciding factor for me.
Avatar image for ThWorldGreatest
ThWorldGreatest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ThWorldGreatest
Member since 2008 • 246 Posts

not too shocked , i knew it was going to flop when i saw it .

cyberkyber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 cyberkyber
Member since 2006 • 153 Posts

first day buy for me, i cant say no to any sandbox game way too much fun

jmangafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jmangafan
Member since 2004 • 1933 Posts

90% of this thread makes me facepalm. It may not be what you're looking for, but it was by no means a bad demo. I played through the demo 15 some odd times, and there were a number of paths I took just to get to the mech. If you run down the one path, yeah, its pretty short. But honestly, some of you either just don't have a very good imagination for playstyles, or you don't understand what the engine is actually pulling off here.

ANIALATOR136

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#36 ANIALATOR136
Member since 2008 • 1157 Posts
we are being a bit harsh here but after playing the likes of MGS4 and KZ2. It just disappoints
Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Nephilim83
we are being a bit harsh here but after playing the likes of MGS4 and KZ2. It just disappointsANIALATOR136
Agreed. Kind of the point I was trying to make in an earlier post; some of us are just spoiled after playing such great games. We just expect better than this. Especially when it cost 60 bucks! But I do agree that the physics engine is pretty good, and I can see myself getting a few hours of fun out of this.
Adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 Adziboy
Member since 2007 • 10187 Posts
Start using Guerrilla tactics and it's even more fun. My favourite is going to the buildig with 3 supports and a bridge, then place loads of bombs on the supports. Then, kill a few and run into the building. When they follow you, smash a window, jump out and BOOOOOOOOOOOOM. Or setting charges on a vehicle then running it into a base full of people and blowing it next to a explodable object.
SirOWNZalot86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SirOWNZalot86
Member since 2008 • 695 Posts

i agree w/ tc