paulmapp8306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By paulmapp8306
Member since 2014 • 28 Posts

Some background. I loved Skyrim on PC, and also The Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4 (the last two are the first games Ive actually completed along with Resi Evil 7 - and Im 50) - but I need a new fix.

Im guessing the obvious choice is Assassins Creed Origins, or Middle Earth Shadow of War.

Heres the thing though - I wasnt that keen on the original Middle earth game (lasted about 5- 6 hours before I got board), and also AC Black Flag (about the same gameplay before it got dropped) - so Im a little reticent about either of them. Black flag is the only AC games Ive tried.

Are either close enough to Horizon/Witcher 3 to give them a try - or should I just wait for 2018 releases? (Kingdom come for instance).

I know its a personal opinion ultimately, but Id like some feedback before I splash out (I only get a couple of games a year so need to pick carefully)

Thanks

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

@paulmapp8306: Did you ever play Dragon's Dogma?

Well if you haven't? you should look into it, an RPG that has an open world map..

Though that last part isn't its strongest aspect, best part of Dogma is its top tier combat and boss/ creature encounters, along with the level design in the expansion area called Bitterblack.

The game also has some clever ways of adding online features, most well established is the Ur Dragon system. In which every player on the server damages a huge boss with millions of HP, getting loot exclusive to that creature.

And though the games not that visually appealing, it also have a pretty extensive character creation mode.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

Agreed with RSM-HQ, Dragon's Dogma was a suprisingly (to me) GREAT game. I loved it.

New titles, Assassin's Creed Origins is amazing and has run great for me on PS4. I wouldn't play it on PC, it has some issues on PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

@paulmapp8306 said:

Some background. I loved Skyrim on PC, and also The Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4 (the last two are the first games Ive actually completed along with Resi Evil 7 - and Im 50) - but I need a new fix.

Im guessing the obvious choice is Assassins Creed Origins, or Middle Earth Shadow of War.

Heres the thing though - I wasnt that keen on the original Middle earth game (lasted about 5- 6 hours before I got board), and also AC Black Flag (about the same gameplay before it got dropped) - so Im a little reticent about either of them. Black flag is the only AC games Ive tried.

Are either close enough to Horizon/Witcher 3 to give them a try - or should I just wait for 2018 releases? (Kingdom come for instance).

I know its a personal opinion ultimately, but Id like some feedback before I splash out (I only get a couple of games a year so need to pick carefully)

Thanks

Honestly, if you are looking for an open world RPG Skyrim and Witcher 3 sit pretty comfortably at the top. Fallout 4 is a great (and underrated) open world RPG, but it isn't in a fantasy setting if that is what you are looking for. You could also pick up Dragon Age: Inquisition- I was personally not too fond of this game because I didn't think it was as good as Origins or Dragon Age 2, but it is still a pretty damn good game. Infamous Second Son is an open world like game that does have a lot of RPG elements as well and I personally think it is highly underrated.

I see people recommending Dragon's Dogma, but I would steer clear of it because when compared to Witcher 3 or Skyrim it is not that great of a game. In fact, I wouldn't even consider Dragon's Dogma to be a "great" game because I feel like it is severely overrated- it is basically Capcom's poor attempt of a Dark Souls clone with some poorly executed open world elements; it is buggy as hell and the world is extremely sparse when compared to true open world games. The combat is good, but games like Dark Souls (original, II and III) and Kingdoms of Alamur have much better combat mechanics.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RSM-HQ

@mighty-lu-bu said:

Capcom's poor attempt of a Dark Souls clone with some poorly executed open world elements; it is buggy as hell and the world is extremely sparse when compared to true open world games. The combat is good, but games like Dark Souls (original, II and III) and Kingdoms of Alamur have much better combat mechanics.

Dragon's Dogma plays nothing like Dark Souls and has very, very good combat in a whole different way. While I do believe Dark Souls series are overall better games. Which has better combat (between Dogma and Souls) is highly debatable; seeing as one is far more focused on tactical reaction, and the other being action-packed and slightly limb focused.

Regardless, the user asked for open world so Dark Souls isn't really an option here.

As for Kingdoms of Amalur. . . That game only really gets mentioned because the developer got shut-down, otherwise I'm just going to state my peace in that it's not that fun a game as you make it seem.

With Dragon's Dogma I could highly recommend for the combat (almost) exclusively, for KoA. . you're on your own with that one. . Quicktime events do not make "better combat mechanics".

Comparing Kingdoms combat to Dogma is like stating God of War has better combat than Devil May Cry (fair comparison if you ask me), you're rooting for the Quicktime events because they show buckets of blood, and bashing a single button to win. And that's not even counting the insanely generous I-frames.

Also worth mentioning, while I know many who had fun playing Kingdoms, this is the first I've read anyone consider it to have superior combat mechanics to a game like Dragons Dogma.

Now if you stated the build variety was deep, art direction was more interesting, and the world is 'cooler', we may have had something to agree on. However for the most part just seems you wanted to discredit Dragon's Dogma, but only adding poor reasoning's/ or at least a bias perspective to favor another, lesser known title.

If you didn't like what Dragon's Dogma had to offer. That's perfectly fine, it's certainly got flaws but. .

Your taste is your own, and will respect you giving a shout-out for a forgotten game like Kingdoms of Amalur, but I vastly disagree, and found your angle to mention it poorly handled.

redfive8084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By redfive8084
Member since 2017 • 2 Posts

The witches 3, breath of the wild, and assassins creed origins are some of the best most recent open world games out there. Breath of the wild is hands down the best. The detail is mind blowing. I climbed onto the railing of a bridge just trying to get a good vantage point to scope nearby landscape and a guard who was also on the bridge though I was about to kill myself and tried to talk me down lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:
@mighty-lu-bu said:

Capcom's poor attempt of a Dark Souls clone with some poorly executed open world elements; it is buggy as hell and the world is extremely sparse when compared to true open world games. The combat is good, but games like Dark Souls (original, II and III) and Kingdoms of Alamur have much better combat mechanics.

Dragon's Dogma plays nothing like Dark Souls and has very, very good combat in a whole different way. While I do believe Dark Souls series are overall better games. Which has better combat (between Dogma and Souls) is highly debatable; seeing as one is far more focused on tactical reaction, and the other being action-packed and slightly limb focused.

Regardless, the user asked for open world so Dark Souls isn't really an option here.

As for Kingdoms of Amalur. . . That game only really gets mentioned because the developer got shut-down, otherwise I'm just going to state my peace in that it's not that fun a game as you make it seem.

With Dragon's Dogma I could highly recommend it for the combat almost exclusively, but for KoA. . you're on your own with that one. . Quicktime events do not make "better combat mechanics".

Comparing Kingdoms combat to Dogma is like stating God of War has better combat than Devil May Cry (fair comparison if you ask me), you're rooting for the Quicktime events because they show buckets of blood, and bashing a single button to win. And that's not even counting the insanely generous I-frames.

Must point out you're the first I've ever seen consider it to have superior combat mechanics to Dragons Dogma.

Now if you stated the art direction was more interesting, and the world is 'cooler' we may have had something to agree on. However for the most part just seems you wanted to discredit Dragon's Dogma, but only adding poor reasoning's/ or at least a bias perspective to favor another lesser known title.

Your taste is your own, and will respect you giving a shout-out for a forgotten game like Kingdoms of Amalur, but I vastly disagree, and found your angle to mention it poorly handled.

That's why I highly recommended Fallout 4 which puts both of those games to shame. End of discussion.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RSM-HQ

@mighty-lu-bu:

That's why I highly recommended Fallout 4 which puts both of those games to shame. End of discussion.

Well that's more of a sandbox FPS with poorly used conversation wheel-trees but ok, nice discussion :P

@redfive8084 said: Breath of the wild is hands down the best. The detail is mind blowing. I climbed onto the railing of a bridge just trying to get a good vantage point to scope nearby landscape and a guard who was also on the bridge though I was about to kill myself and tried to talk me down lol.

Shame you're on the Playstation board stating that, don't think it really aids OP. However personally looking to buy a Switch soon, more interested in Mario, Splatoon and Bomberman myself. But Zelda is something that certainly fits this particular thread if it was on Games Discussion.

paulmapp8306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By paulmapp8306
Member since 2014 • 28 Posts

Hum. Got to say I tried Nioh, and hated it. Just not my type of game - I suspect Dark souls would be the same.

Might it be worth giving Dragon Age Inquisition a go? Its "older" I know but I never got round to trying it - and the Game of the year version is just under £8 at the moment on PSN, so hardly a great gamble.

What put me off trying it originally, was the "play the whole party of 4" thing. I dont mind help, but its "my" characture I want to play not all of them. Im guessing Id get used to that though - thoughts?

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

Fallout 4 yakuza 0 yakuza kiwami mass effect anromeda nier automata borderlands 2 final fantasy 15

KcMoBearGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KcMoBearGaming
Member since 2017 • 8 Posts

i think it qualifies as an open world rpg but Mad Max was a really fun game you should check out.