Really Dice... why?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MoNsTeR_zAcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 MoNsTeR_zAcH
Member since 2011 • 523 Posts

I just saw the advertisement for BF3 that says "Above and beyeond the call" and I think that is a really cheap shot at MW3. I enjoy both franchises, and I just don't see why they would do such a thing. Do you see IW or Treyarch taking shots like this at the BF series? No

benz1980i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 benz1980i
Member since 2007 • 285 Posts

Let me appologise to you on behalf of EA- sorry if we hurt your feelings. I say bring it on!

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
Yes this was very saddening indeed, I immediately slit my wrists after seeing that advertisement.
SadPSPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#4 SadPSPAddict
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

All's fair in love and advertising :D

PolygonBust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PolygonBust
Member since 2011 • 239 Posts

More stuff to do in BF3? Not just running around gunning on a small map the whole time.

Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts
It's pretty stupid, indeed. I can understand the fanboys running around and smashing their heads. But that even the developers can't see how different and incomparable these two games are and have to join those mindless people is above and beyond my understanding.
BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BibiMaghoo
Member since 2009 • 4018 Posts
Thing is, I would bet good money that in the next year or two, we will see a COD game with vehicles, like battlefield. Activision will see people want it, and make another COD to cater for it. People will argue its not a ripp off of BF when it happens lol. We live in a gaming world where every developer (tries to) improve upon those who came before it. Its the nature of the industry. Although, I would say EA were a little childish about the whole thing, but competition is good for everyone.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Yeah, I remember seeing an ad for a Dodge minivan where it said it had more interior room than the Honda minivan. That left me upset for the better part of a week.

1337h4xx0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 1337h4xx0rz
Member since 2008 • 314 Posts
Thing is, I would bet good money that in the next year or two, we will see a COD game with vehicles, like battlefield. Activision will see people want it, and make another COD to cater for it. People will argue its not a ripp off of BF when it happens lol. We live in a gaming world where every developer (tries to) improve upon those who came before it. Its the nature of the industry. Although, I would say EA were a little childish about the whole thing, but competition is good for everyone. BibiMaghoo
Agreed. The same thing can be said about BF3 however I think. There are obviously things in both companies' games that they steal from the other. Someone gets a good idea, the other company takes it. Its the way of gaming.
jshaas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 jshaas
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts

I just saw the advertisement for BF3 that says "Above and beyeond the call" and I think that is a really cheap shot at MW3. I enjoy both franchises, and I just don't see why they would do such a thing. Do you see IW or Treyarch taking shots like this at the BF series? No

MoNsTeR_zAcH

Actually, both sides have traded harsh words towards the other franchise. I think this ad for BF3 is really smart. Since the announcement of both games they've been attacking one another... the guys at EA, not DICE, decided to put it in their ads. I'm sure they wanted it to say "Above and beyond the call of duty." Obviously, they didn't take it that far.

cmpepper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 cmpepper23
Member since 2005 • 3281 Posts

It's pretty stupid, indeed. I can understand the fanboys running around and smashing their heads. But that even the developers can't see how different and incomparable these two games are and have to join those mindless people is above and beyond my understanding.Reptylus

This has nothing to do with comparing the games from a gameplay experience. It's advertising. COD is their big competitor. It makes perfect sense to take shots at them. Also its not the developers doing this. The advertising/marketing is done by a separate entity (actual ad-people). From an advertising perspective, I found it kind of clever. The inviduals who created the ad may have never even played either game.

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts
Yeah that is pretty sad. If it were a bunch of fanboys saying that I wouldn't care. But the developers themself? Really?
gamerzdaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gamerzdaily
Member since 2011 • 33 Posts
Yes this was very saddening indeed, I immediately slit my wrists after seeing that advertisement.koospetoors
Nice dude... Self inflicted suicide. Is there any other kind!?
Sk8ter_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sk8ter_213
Member since 2003 • 4573 Posts
I personally think BF is much better than CoD. BF3 is the first game i've played in the series and I can say that it feels much better, the enviroment looks better and the whole destructive level engine is a bonus. I haven't yet jumped into the online community yet but I have a feeling i'm in for a suprise.
Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#15 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts
It was a bit of a cheap dig, but then I would feel worse if Activision would stop releasing the same CoD game with new graphics/slightly different weapons
BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BibiMaghoo
Member since 2009 • 4018 Posts
[QUOTE="BibiMaghoo"]Thing is, I would bet good money that in the next year or two, we will see a COD game with vehicles, like battlefield. Activision will see people want it, and make another COD to cater for it. People will argue its not a ripp off of BF when it happens lol. We live in a gaming world where every developer (tries to) improve upon those who came before it. Its the nature of the industry. Although, I would say EA were a little childish about the whole thing, but competition is good for everyone. 1337h4xx0rz
Agreed. The same thing can be said about BF3 however I think. There are obviously things in both companies' games that they steal from the other. Someone gets a good idea, the other company takes it. Its the way of gaming.

Exactly, BF3 has taken things that people like from COD, but kept its own identity in the process. Every game is an evolution of the games that preceded it in some way.
Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#17 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts
[QUOTE="1337h4xx0rz"][QUOTE="BibiMaghoo"]Thing is, I would bet good money that in the next year or two, we will see a COD game with vehicles, like battlefield. Activision will see people want it, and make another COD to cater for it. People will argue its not a ripp off of BF when it happens lol. We live in a gaming world where every developer (tries to) improve upon those who came before it. Its the nature of the industry. Although, I would say EA were a little childish about the whole thing, but competition is good for everyone. BibiMaghoo

Exactly, BF3 has taken things that people like from COD, but kept its own identity in the process. Every game is an evolution of the games that preceded it in some way.

Except Dante's Inferno, which just mercilessly ripped of God of War :)
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#18 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

MoNsTeR_zAcH
Actually yes.. both sides have been taking shots at each other throughout their campaigns. If you had read or seen anything on either game you would see they have both been doing this.. its all for the lulz. Everyone knows BF3 will be better quality wise, but COD will sell more simply for the name. I picked up BF3 and im loving it, i'll be picking up COD when it comes out too. Let them take shots at each other, its actually kinda funny some of the things they have done.
edthetinker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 edthetinker
Member since 2007 • 1373 Posts
Is this a joke topic?
Avatar image for HilbillyRokstar
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 HilbillyRokstar
Member since 2007 • 3236 Posts

Yes this was very saddening indeed, I immediately slit my wrists after seeing that advertisement.koospetoors
I'm glad you made it, so you could be here to share your story with us today. Now all we need are coffee and cigarettes.

xQuelx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 xQuelx
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Its all a Competiotion, I respect the advertisement, Nw its up to the COD fans to shows which one is better. I havent gt BF3 yet but im waiting to COD to come out so i can review both. But on the other hand im pre-ordering Saints Row:The Third today :)
xQuelx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 xQuelx
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Its all a Competiotion, I respect the advertisement, Nw its up to the COD fans to shows which one is better. I havent gt BF3 yet but im waiting to COD to come out so i can review both. But on the other hand im pre-ordering Saints Row:The Third today :)
almossbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 almossbb
Member since 2008 • 1979 Posts

its pathetic really. but hey maybe MW will finally decide to make some major imrpovments to the game, instead of being so similar to COD4

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

[QUOTE="BibiMaghoo"]Thing is, I would bet good money that in the next year or two, we will see a COD game with vehicles, like battlefield. Activision will see people want it, and make another COD to cater for it. People will argue its not a ripp off of BF when it happens lol. We live in a gaming world where every developer (tries to) improve upon those who came before it. Its the nature of the industry. Although, I would say EA were a little childish about the whole thing, but competition is good for everyone. 1337h4xx0rz

Go to the game store, you can see it already. It's called "CoD World at War" which features tanks on several maps. As for the advertising campaign, it's catchy, you gotta admit. This is a wrestling match as to who's more clever and so I say, round one to EA for a well-turned phrase.

Avatar image for HilbillyRokstar
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HilbillyRokstar
Member since 2007 • 3236 Posts

its pathetic really. but hey maybe MW will finally decide to make some major imrpovments to the game, instead of being so similar to COD4

almossbb

You mean something substancial, like a new game engine and dedicated servers? Not gonna happen as long as people continue to buy it in droves.

almossbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 almossbb
Member since 2008 • 1979 Posts

[QUOTE="almossbb"]

HilbillyRokstar

You mean something substancial, like a new game engine and dedicated servers? Not gonna happen as long as people continue to buy it in droves.

very true. people have bound to notice this problem sooner or later. i did and wasnt interested in any COD game after COD4

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
i have heard that used before in army and war movies in the past so i don't get why people think its a shot of COD i haven't played a battlefield game but cod is a generic vanilla shooter even if it was meant a shot at them then i say good for dice
robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts
What they should actually be ashamed of is how they basically stuck a wrench in matchmaking for BC2 making it impossible to find full games, they have about 300 3 on 3 matches when they could easily cut it down to 12 on 12. Pretty unethical, like if when Dodge came out with a new Charger they disabled all the old ones so you buy a new one. I don't have the money for BF3 now but I can't play BC2 anymore because they screwed it, kinda makes me not want to get BF3 when you see how unloyal they are.
ez_moneymaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ez_moneymaker
Member since 2006 • 1211 Posts

More stuff to do in BF3? Not just running around gunning on a small map the whole time.

PolygonBust

Many ppl like that. Although i love Battlefield I do hafta say i think MW3 will easily outsell it, cuz MW3 is easier to play and more arcade feel then Battlefield. Battlefield is more intense and tatical and some ppl just want to playthat easier to pick up type game. Im getting it but more to conclude the story and im sure i'll play multiplayer for couple of weeks after to justify the price for short campaign.

hanslacher54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hanslacher54
Member since 2007 • 3659 Posts

Dice has made fun of it in the past

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck325kilXj0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2Qpui1hYBw

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#31 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

MoNsTeR_zAcH

Having played Battlefield 3, I don't think Activision has anything to worry about.

I think EA's just desperate. They needed an online pass for their game, they must be hard up for dough.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#32 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
The shots at COD aren't really anything new, they've been doing this for a while. They went pretty heavy on the advertising and whatnot in attempts to convert some COD players, but a lot of them will still continue to play COD or they'll play BF3 for a little while then run back to COD.
HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

Let's get the COD community rallied up and boycott all BF games. That'll teach em!