Rank your favorite Demon's Souls classes.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uyiop0t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 uyiop0t
Member since 2009 • 615 Posts

Rank what your favorite Demon's Souls classes are.

Magician ( A ) - Probably one of the harder classes to play as, weak defense, armor, and weapon skills, can only use small basics weapons like small swords and daggars and things like that, but possesses some of the best magic in the game and starts out with both Water Veil (a spell that protects the user from fire attacks) and the Flame Toss, which is a high energy burst of flame attack. Playing as a magician is fun, because it is challenging, but has its own feel of accomplishment after defeating something.

Soldier ( B+) - Probably my favorite melee class. Since they start out with a spear (in addition to a broad sword), I like to use the spear as my main weapon, and I do it in this special way. I push Triangle in order to carry the spear with both hands, this puts away the shield, which can be dangerous, but since your attacks are slightly faster when you hold it with two hands as opposed to one, it makes up for it. The character does a quick thrust attack with it then and it causes quite a bit of damage. If I need to block, I can push L1 and block things such as sword slashes or blunt attacks. There is also something fun about just running around with a spear in two hands causing all kinds of chaos. The soldier also focuses mostly on melee wheras some of the other melee classes branch a bit into magic as well, making their melee not as focused, so for that, the soldier is my favorite melee class.

Thief ( B+) - Fun class, very quick and agile, just has the feel of an assassin or ninja while playing due to the weapons one gets, the daggar as the default main weapon, and the daggar is small and isn't as powerful as a sword, it's not so much a problem since the speed the thief has as well as the throwing knives and bow and arrows solve that out. Didn't actually think it would be that great, but decided to give it a try and was actually more fun than I thought it would be.

Wanderer ( C+ ) - Wanderer is a good melee/speed class, using stonger weapons than the thief can use (at least initially) but is also more agile due to the lighter armor than some of the heavier melee classes get to be. To me, this class was average, good, not bad, but nothing special.

Knight ( C+ ) - Definitely a good class for people who are uncomfortable with the game or not sure what to go with, as this class's melee is quite strong, and the armor is strong, but it's not extremely excessive and the weapon is large but not overly large. Good balance of stats, and allows for a more forgiving play style due to the defense and strength.

Hunter ( C ) - Middle of the road. This class struck me as nothing special. It is a strong melee class, with potential to be good at many different things, but it didn't seem especially fun. Has a large starting weapon (battle axe) and the bow and arrow which allows the user to engage in melee and range attacks, no real weaknesses for this class, but nothing stood out to be as overly exciting.

Priest ( C ) - Slightly below Hunter, I actually had high hopes for this class, it sounded interesting, being the equivalent to Paladin in many MMORPGs where the melee and defense and armor is strong, and has some white magic abilities. Strong attacks, but the agility is weak due to the heavier armor, and since one can just use healing herbs to heal, I didn't see the necessity of having the ability to heal oneself. Not a bad class, but to me it wasn't anything special and there were probably more fun ones to choose from.

Barbarian ( D ) - Strange class. I think the developers wanted to put in a class that didn't rely as much on accessories such as weapons, spells, armor, etc and just wanted to focus on the players stats. This class is very bare bones, with little to no armor, no special abilities, little to no magic, and as a weapon a simple club, which is very heavy, but seeing how you are just playing as a caveman, playing is quite boring. Powerful melee and defense, but seeing as the gameplay becomes too simple, it becomes a little mind-numbing in my eyes. There is not enough variety with this class.

Temple Knight ( D ) - Very strange class as well. On the outside, the temple knight has extremely strong armor, the strongest of all the classes, including the Knight, and the starting weapon is a large halberd, but due to the heavy armor the Temple Knight wears, the agility is very bad, sometimes to the point where it is actually safer to be just a regular Knight rather than the Temple Knight. This also hybrids itself with the Priest class, as it can cast white magic such as healing, but is much heavier, so think of it as a very heavy armor priest. The halberd is actually sometimes a little hard to use, and since the agility is poor, it counters how strong the Temple Knight should be. You are strong and heavy, but very slow and sometimes difficult to control.

Royalty ( D ) - Very very weird class. I think the developers put this class in there just for their to be some kind of "easy mode" in the game. The armor is weak, the agility is high almost like that of the thief or maybe closer to the magician, attack power isn't great, but the Royalty starts out with a ring that automatically heals your Magic Points over time, which should be considered a more advanced ability. Also, they start out with Soul Arrow, an extremely powerful and cost efficient magic spell that flashes the enemy causing high amounts of damage. Given that the Royalty can cast this magic spell and regen their Magic Points just by walking around, this takes away a lot of the challenge in the game, and actually, a lot of the fun. For example, the Magician starts out with a wooden wand to cast their spells, but the Royalty's wand is made of silver. Their initial weapon is also a simple rapier which can only thrust, which seems to be useful for when casting the spell isn't an option or takes too long. It feels like everything was handed to this class, and to play as it is just lacking the adventuring and is simply walking through the game rather than playing it. It's overpowered because it starts out with Soul Arrow and the Magic Point regening ring and for those reasons it kind of takes away the fun of playing.

What are your opinions of the Demon's Souls classes? Which are your favorites and least favorites and why? How would you rank them?

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

I find later in the game Hunter (strong bow) or Magician (offensive magic) are the best pathways (that you follow from what you started with).

Avatar image for paperdollparade
paperdollparade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 paperdollparade
Member since 2007 • 1915 Posts
Thief - my favorite class to start as, I enjoy playing very agile characters, fast attack with low defense and using parry/riposte. draw back is the initial high luck stat, but I'm going to try building a luck based character next so it will be good for that. Knight - has a good balance of defense and equip burden and a decent starting weapon. very forgiving class for a first time player. lowest starting luck stat possible Royal - great class for making a low HP/defense massive damage build also you can blast through the first areas with soul arrow and fragrant ring. Wanderer/Hunter everything else
ak905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ak905
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I Prefer the wanderer class.

Adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Adziboy
Member since 2007 • 10187 Posts
Kind of a wied thread because all that is affected really is the starting equipment :P But Royalty is my favourite so far just because I've gotten further with him, but otherwise as Knight and Soldier are cool.
hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 hot114
Member since 2003 • 4489 Posts

Classes? you can have a DEX, STR or magic build thats as far as the class system goes.

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
How can you rank them when they're all pretty much the same? You only feel a difference in the first real level but as soon as you level up that's the point in the game where everyone should be similar.
Stigmatist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Stigmatist
Member since 2009 • 200 Posts

All I know about is the class I been playing with:

Female Royal - No armor, No strength, No endurence.

A pixie wand, rapier, and little round shield.

Running around naked.

Finding White Sticky Stuff everywhere with this character while in White Tendency.

Becoming good at melee dodging, rolling, getting behind enemies. parry -- quickness of movement in battle.

She's a wily critter.

Range attacks limited to spells with the silver catalyst, cause I'm only in 2-2 now and

haven't built up the strength to use a light crossbow yet.

Have Bows, An Axe, Knight's Sheild, etc... and I can't even use them.

For now.

Stigmatist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Stigmatist

LOL noobs... Classes dont matter. Learn 2 play.CeciljornalEX

belittlement-> pronouncement ->command = genius

Remind me to not play with you.

Your no fun.

pfft

"noobs.."so 1997.

luzl

The discussion is part of the fun of playing the game.

A heated exchange of idea's and sharing experiences.

Fun stuff.

That's why we're all here.

What are you here for?

Stigmatist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Stigmatist

And for the record you wouldnt play with me even if you wanted. My soul level is 385 at the moment... Booo yahhhhhhhhhhhh!CeciljornalEX

Ah, c'mon.

All right, you know to have fun-

your sarcasm that smells of irony = sharp wit +dry sense of humor.

Don't be gettin' all megalomaniacal.

A guy achieves a 385 a souls leveland he goes mad with power!

May I inquire how many hours did it take you to go that far?

CeciljornalEX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CeciljornalEX
Member since 2009 • 40 Posts
hmmm too many hours and liters of coffee? LOL I know the best way to level up on game, but it can only be done after your first cycle with a good ending. I cant check how many hours i got in game right now cause i am travelling with my wife and family for new years eve. My PSN account is ceciljornalEX i will be on on january 2nd.
sebas117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sebas117
Member since 2009 • 169 Posts
And for the record you wouldnt play with me even if you wanted. My soul level is 385 at the moment... Booo yahhhhhhhhhhhh!CeciljornalEX
Mine is higher so your the noob and its not fun, it just makes u a no-life sitting on basement claiming he's the best so yah you are sad.
hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hot114
[QUOTE="CeciljornalEX"]hmmm too many hours and liters of coffee? LOL I know the best way to level up on game, but it can only be done after your first cycle with a good ending. I cant check how many hours i got in game right now cause i am travelling with my wife and family for new years eve. My PSN account is ceciljornalEX i will be on on january 2nd.

First sencond or third cycle has nothing to do with leveling speed. The XP boost is outweighed by every level taking more XP. To complete the game you need a soul level of 50-80,doing this without a grind spot will waste alot of time A player can get to lvl 80 in 6 hours of playtime by grinding at 4-2 and 4-4 after that completing the game becomes a cakewalk. There is little reason to levelup inbetween levels outside of the preset grindpots, everywhere else is just wasting your time. After a grindsession the game is easier allowing you to start another NG+ faster wich gives increased XP gain - rinse and repeat Also ALL items can be obtained in 2 playthroughs, it takes less 8H to complete the game on a new char for a experienced player that you took a full week to platinum this game makes me doubt your dedication!
ChaltierX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ChaltierX
Member since 2009 • 1128 Posts

Class doesn't really matter. You can raise whatever stats you want. They just start out with different equipment.

CeciljornalEX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CeciljornalEX
Member since 2009 • 40 Posts
[QUOTE="hot114"][QUOTE="CeciljornalEX"]hmmm too many hours and liters of coffee? LOL I know the best way to level up on game, but it can only be done after your first cycle with a good ending. I cant check how many hours i got in game right now cause i am travelling with my wife and family for new years eve. My PSN account is ceciljornalEX i will be on on january 2nd.

First sencond or third cycle has nothing to do with leveling speed. The XP boost is outweighed by every level taking more XP. To complete the game you need a soul level of 50-80,doing this without a grind spot will waste alot of time A player can get to lvl 80 in 6 hours of playtime by grinding at 4-2 and 4-4 after that completing the game becomes a cakewalk. There is little reason to levelup inbetween levels outside of the preset grindpots, everywhere else is just wasting your time. After a grindsession the game is easier allowing you to start another NG+ faster wich gives increased XP gain - rinse and repeat Also ALL items can be obtained in 2 playthroughs, it takes less 8H to complete the game on a new char for a experienced player that you took a full week to platinum this game makes me doubt your dedication!

Wrong, it takes at least 4 game cycles to get all items and magics, since some takes at least 4 demon's soul of the same demon. Wrong about leveling on 2nd cycle, since you get soulsucker and use it to boost your soul farming on a very particular spot, so yeah it only can be done after the second cycle.
hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hot114
Apart from multi-use Demon's Souls ALL items can be obtained in 2 playthroughs. Farming 4-4 With thirst (possible on first playthrough!) far outweighs farming gold skeletons and bearbugs with sucker.
Stigmatist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Stigmatist

Just taking notes here.

hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hot114

Just taking notes here.

Stigmatist
This topic might be handful http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27138087&msg_id=318653805#318653805
ceciljornalFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ceciljornalFTW
[QUOTE="hot114"]Apart from multi-use Demon's Souls ALL items can be obtained in 2 playthroughs. Farming 4-4 With thirst (possible on first play through!) far outweighs farming gold skeletons and bearbugs with sucker.

Clearly you know less about the game than you think. Despite your arrogance i will take time to correct and educate you: Those farming spots are weak, best farming spots in the game comes from using soulsucker, which you only get after you first cycle with a good ending. The best one in the game is at 4-3, there is a black phantom of a black skeleton that gives you over 75.000 souls per hit. Also you wont be able to get all trophies in 8 hours, simply cause the hardest one come from crafting weapons. Farming ores can be too time consuming, for example farming pure darkmoon stone can be quite painful. It only drops from a particular crystal lizard in the game and even this one has a very small chance of dropping it (less than 2% according to charts). And i repeat: You wont be able to get all trophies in 2 cycles and also wont be able to get all magics and miracles too. It takes 4 game cycles to get everything. Considering things get harder on your 2nd cycle (New game), it will take at least 50 hours of gameplay to get everything.
WinnerByTKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 WinnerByTKO
Member since 2009 • 491 Posts

Lol classes means zero in Demon's Souls. They are somewhat useful for the first 1 hour or so, later on you make your own so called "class"

ceciljornalFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ceciljornalFTW

Lol classes means zero in Demon's Souls. They are somewhat useful for the first 1 hour or so, later on you make your own so called "class"

WinnerByTKO
My thoughts exactly. Class does not matter at all after the first hours.
GingerDeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GingerDeadMan
Member since 2009 • 807 Posts

Royalty > Everything else.

ceciljornalFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ceciljornalFTW
[QUOTE="ceciljornalFTW"][QUOTE="hot114"]Apart from multi-use Demon's Souls ALL items can be obtained in 2 playthroughs. Farming 4-4 With thirst (possible on first play through!) far outweighs farming gold skeletons and bearbugs with sucker.

Clearly you know less about the game than you think. Despite your arrogance i will take time to correct and educate you: Those farming spots are weak, best farming spots in the game comes from using soulsucker, which you only get after you first cycle with a good ending. The best one in the game is at 4-3, there is a black phantom of a black skeleton that gives you over 75.000 souls per hit. Also you wont be able to get all trophies in 8 hours, simply cause the hardest one come from crafting weapons. Farming ores can be too time consuming, for example farming pure darkmoon stone can be quite painful. It only drops from a particular crystal lizard in the game and even this one has a very small chance of dropping it (less than 2% according to charts). And i repeat: You wont be able to get all trophies in 2 cycles and also wont be able to get all magics and miracles too. It takes 4 game cycles to get everything. Considering things get harder on your 2nd cycle (New game), it will take at least 50 hours of gameplay to get everything.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts

Female Royal

Running around naked.

Finding White Sticky Stuff everywhereStigmatist

This is all kinds of wrong.

rkzhao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rkzhao
Member since 2005 • 1831 Posts

Getting back on topic, in terms of starting equipment (which is really all that matters), I'd take the Royal and Temple Knight.

Royal being SL1 is great for customization and that ring is awesome though you can get it from the crow in 4-1. But Royal is by far the easiest class to start with depite having to lowest level. The red eyed knight and Phalanx are cake.

Temple Knight armor is great overall, if encumber is an issue, I usually go topless to begin with. You can get other classe's equipment on 3-1 with knight, thief, and magician sets and wood and silver catalysts. Also, the Bastard Sword and Scimitar in 1-1 takes care of the halberd problem and you can buy a or club spear from the merchant if you want. Crecent Falchion+1 in 4-1 then renders all other initial weapons obsolete anyways. I always go to 4-1 after Phalanx.

I like the look of the knight better that TK but like I said, one trip to 3-1 and I have the armor and shield.

Further, Temple Knight, Knight, and Royal all start with lowest luck which is the most useless stat to waste points into unless going blueblood. Temple Knight also has the lowest starting magic which is nice if you plan on going miracles only.

However, for "Role Playing" (kind of pointless in this game) I'd go with with a Wanderer or I run around as a naked barbarian the whole game.

Naked Barbarian dual wielding Meatcleaver and Dragon Bone Smasher FTW